Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #121
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Thanks Geek. Good stuff to know when (IF!) my tanks finally get here. Man, am I itchy!

So, if you wait till the tanks are empty (or close to it) before removing, is there any less distortion? Any less/more distortion depending on the color of the tanks? (Wondering if, say, the orange or black sets distort more or less than the naturals?) Less distortion if off the bike for a shorter amount of time (say, during a full oil change vs. doing your valve check/adjust?)

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 07:35 AM
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #122
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
If they will let me save some weight vs stock tanks, fairings, and crash bars... I would go with it. Otherwise I think am kind of liking the neduro tank on my left behind me. (Sure wish I could preserve the locking fuel cap too. People are assholes... yall ever worry about that? I do.)
Mine came with Locking caps so thats a non issue. They weigh less than the stock tanks so that means the weigh a LOT Less than stock + the Neduro tank. and losing the crashbars saves a LOT of weight.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #123
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 316
In the situation of any plastic/nylon gas tank and blended fuels like ethanol, the tanks will swell more, the more water is allowed to accumulate from the fuel, embedding in the tank material. The larger and longer the surfaces of the tank, the more potential for expansion there is. In the case of the 950, the tank shape and length of plastic means lots of expansion is possible. Different types of material seem to be affected to different degrees, and it would seem that the material Safari uses may be more susceptible than the stock tanks (though stock tanks definitely do have the same issue, but they don't connect in as many places to the bike). Safari likely put more emphasis on a material that would withstand abrasion and conditions likely to be encountered off road than one that would resist swelling. I have no idea if they are mutually exclusive to some degree, but I would take a guess that they are.

So, as I mentioned before, if you are able to, remove your tanks and completely drain them on some regular interval (during winter months is a good time for those that live in cooler climates), let them dry completely - absolutely completely, if there is ANY fuel left it will not work. Let them sit dry as long as you can and they will shrink. If you never remove all the fuel, then you are continually adding more water to the plastic as the fuel that's left absorbs more. Once you let the material air out the water that is embedded in it, it takes time for the water to accumulate again.
I've noticed this same thing on lots of different plastic tanks - Acerbis, Clark, Triumph, KTM (OEM may be Acerbis for some), and even the red gas cans for filling up your power tools. Depending on how various tanks mount, it is more or less noticeable. My XT350 Clark 4.0 gallon tank is now 4.5 gallons, but it causes no mounting issues because of the way it attaches to the bike. In the case of the Safari for the 950, there is just a lot of plastic to expand, with attachment points at each end. If you have the stock tanks still, throw them on while you air out the Safari tanks and try it. Kinda sucks, but at least it's an option that exists.

Write your representatives and tell them ethanol sucks (for US folks here). Personally, I'd gladly pay a large chunk more for non-ethanol gas if it was available to me. I really miss even the smell of real gas!

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #124
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post

Write your representatives and tell them ethanol sucks (for US folks here). Personally, I'd gladly pay a large chunk more for non-ethanol gas if it was available to me. I really miss even the smell of real gas!
I'm lucky enough to have a Conoco station within 3 miles of my home that sells non-ethanol 91 octane... pricey, but good. I fill up there when I can, but, obviously, I can't always find non-ethanol while traveling.

Pure-Gas.org
Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #125
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Mine came with Locking caps so thats a non issue. They weigh less than the stock tanks so that means the weigh a LOT Less than stock + the Neduro tank. and losing the crashbars saves a LOT of weight.
Hmm.

So they for sure weigh less and I won't need the bars then? Do they all have locking caps? Are they flush with the tank like the nice ones on there now? Or are they none locking sort of plasticy caps like on a weed whacker?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #126
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Hmm.

So they for sure weigh less and I won't need the bars then? Do they all have locking caps? Are they flush with the tank like the nice ones on there now? Or are they none locking sort of plasticy caps like on a weed whacker?
I weighed them. They are lighter than the stocks. Crashbars? Not needed unless you have to have additional protection and a place to hook things up.
The locking caps come with keys. It's a real lock. They come by default with lockin caps but you can get non locking ones as well. They are not flush. They look like the non locking one except there is a lock built into it and they come off like most dirt bikes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #127
jay71
Farklin' Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
I'm lucky enough to have a Conoco station within 3 miles of my home that sells non-ethanol 91 octane... pricey, but good. I fill up there when I can, but, obviously, I can't always find non-ethanol while traveling.

Pure-Gas.org
In Golden? I'm through there frequent enough where it would be worth it to fill the Safari's on my way home. Where's the station located?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #128
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay71 View Post
In Golden? I'm through there frequent enough where it would be worth it to fill the Safari's on my way home. Where's the station located?
It's not in Golden, it's in Lakewood...

Brad's Conoco
1075 S.Union Blvd.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #129
sabink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Expansion peoblem easy work round

My front bolts also are not seen if I remove the tank with the fuel in it and leave it off the bike for more than 5-10 min.

My work round is that before removing any bolts I empty the tanks. As I cannot get all the fuel out, I empty them as much as I can and when I take it off I empty ALL the fuel and leave the caps off. When it's time to put them back on they are nearly perfect shape and I have no problem fitting them alone.
sabink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #130
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Doc - you in Qld? using ethanol blended fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I've had my Safari tanks for a year now and I sort of still like them but I'm getting real sick of the expansion problem.

The bottom mount has moved atleast 20mm maybe more, the headlight bolt holes have moved about 10mm. The rear of the tank has no more room to move, I have already ground the front edge of the side covers to make more room. The bottom brace has been extensively modified, it is not only the mount hole that needs to be moved but the clearance around the fuel hose/fuel petcock has been ground out several times.
I went to refit my tanks today and again had to do more work to the bottom mount. DO THESE THINGS EVER STOP GROWING?
I am a professional with all the gear and know how to modify things as needed but I often wonder what the average punter does about this. I shudder to think what butchery takes place at a workshop when some of those so called mechanics are refitting the tanks after a valve check or a water pump job.
One of the reasons I go to alot of effort to have this right is so that, if I ever have to take the tanks off while on tour I've already got a problem, I dont need anymore!

I think the tanks should have been made smaller and pre-expanded before sale.

Has anyone got any stories to tell?
Hi Doc,

I have just bought one of these and being Western Australia based and with no ethanol blended fuels here, I was hoping that I would not have the expansion problem.

Are you using ethanol blended fuels?

Also have you tried letting you tank dry out completely over a few days in a hot and non-humid environment?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #131
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay71 View Post
Jay: here is a list of ethanol free gas stations in Colorado:

Next time you visit me you can fuel up at the airport

City Brand Octane Name Street Address GPS*
Cortez SINCLAIR 86 88 91 Sinclair 110 N. Broadway N37.34997 W108.59236 map details
Delta UNBRANDED 86 Master Petroleum - Sinclair - Blue Building Main St Hwy 50 not available map details
Denver VP RACING 93 Vickery Motorsports 2231 S. Parker Rd. N39.67568 W104.87276 map details
Durango FINA 86 88 91 Seven-Two-Eleven Food Store 1854 Main Street N37.28398 W107.87681 map details
Eads UNBRANDED 85 88 91 Country C Store 501 East 15th (Hwy 96) N38.47741 W102.77643 map details
Eads CENEX 87 89 91 Eads Seed Store 500 W 15th St N38.47795 W102.78536 map details
Englewood CONOCO 91 Pynergy Petroleum Formally Known As Duggan 4495 South Santa Fe Dr. N39.63427 W105.00824 map details
Ft Lupton SINCLAIR 88 Tbg Service Company 1042 Denver Ave N40.08945 W104.81034 map details
Granby UNKNOWN 91 Granby Mini Mart 516 E Agate N40.08484 W105.93124 map details
Lakewood CONOCO 91 Brads Conoco 1075 S.Union Blvd. N39.69713 W105.12933 map details
Lazear UNBRANDED 85 87 91 Master Petroleum 857 3100 Rd N38.78081 W107.78167 map details
Longmont PHILLIPS 66 85 Air West Flight Center, Inc 10383 N. 85th Street N40.16264 W105.15447 map details
Pitkin UNBRANDED 91 Silver Plume General Store 204 9th St N38.61133 W106.51268 map details
Silt UNBRANDED 85 87 91 Master Petroleum 1650 Main St not available map details
South Fork CONOCO Rainbow Express 30359 U. S. Hwy 160 N37.67082 W106.63988 map details
Trinidad SHAMROCK 85 87 91 Konvenience Korner 305 State St N37.16996 W104.51119 map details
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #132
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
OK so you guys are probably convincing me to go with it (though i am sure i will miss the beauty of the stock set up with bards). BUT! If they are that a big a pain with the swelling... Maybe there is something to coat the inside of the tank with? some kind of corrosive resistant resin or something?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #133
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,124
If it is moisture in the fuel why not just put a little of the water remover in the tanks? The stuff they sell that chemically changes the water so it wong screw up your engine.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #134
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
If it is moisture in the fuel why not just put a little of the water remover in the tanks? The stuff they sell that chemically changes the water so it wong screw up your engine.
It doesn't chemically change the water, it just absorbs it. Usually they are alcohol-based themselves, which really just adds to the problem.
They don't appear to work - at least not that well for this situation. Kind of like taking a sponge out of a tub, wringing it out, and throwing it back in the tub. It's not saturated just after you wring it out, but it starts soaking water up again as soon as you're done. And that's assuming that the ethanol isn't "thirstier" than the additive to begin with. Ethanol is alcohol itself, after all, and there's a limitless availability of moisture for it to absorb from the atmosphere 24x7.

Take everything with a grain of salt, but in general there isn't much about ethanol that is good for a motorcycle. Tank swelling is perhaps one of the more immediately noticeable effects for us.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/index.html

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #135
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Has it actually been confirmed that it is ethanol blended fuels (or more precisely the water absorbed within) that is causing the swelling problem with these tanks? Has anyone had the same issue while using only pure non- blended fuels.

On another note has anyone had any success on really drying these tanks out? (ie. leaving empty for a week under a dry hot sun?).