fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #287
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Here's what they looked like new:

Nice looking set of tires. Sure wish they made a 150 x 18 for KTM950/990. I'll keep wishing...

How well does that rear work when leaned over on the last set of knobs, with the wide gap between the major knobs?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #288
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
no complaints in the dirt/sand/gravel. on the road I don't even try to go fast in the corners. I just chill and take it easy.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #289
Mitas OP
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
no complaints in the dirt/sand/gravel. on the road I don't even try to go fast in the corners. I just chill and take it easy.
.... ...
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #290
fudgypup
Banned

E-09 sidewall strength

One thing worth mentioning here would be the sidewall strength of the E-09 Dakar. Because it's so strong, you're able to ride further on a flat or low air. Another tire would fail sooner (and a serious hazard at that).

Not that I'm recommending that you EVER ride a tire flat, because you shouldn't.

But this happened to me...

I hit a large rock at pretty high speed (~45-50 mph) doing the LAB2V and the resulting flat spot in my tubeless rim meant the tire wasn't holding air very well. I had to pump it up three more times to get to a gas station. I got there and tried some slime and thought that might help (it really didn't). I didn't have a tube on me, nor did I have my front wheel removal tool even if I did find a tube. I ended up riding it another 195 miles on the highway (Baker to Vegas). I stopped a few times to pump it back up but got down to just 8lbs of air each time. Each time I stopped, I also checked the temperature of the tire, specifically the sidewall and found that it wasn't hot (a good sign). Friction at low pressure will heat up the tire and cause it to fail (with potentially disasterous results).

Again, I would NOT RECOMMEND that you try this if you find yourself in a similar situation. The safest thing to do would have been to put a tube in it or replace the rim or load it on a trailer and fix it later.

But I will say that with a tougher off road tire like the E-09 Dakar, you're going to see less punctures, less sidewall failures than alternative knobby tires. I've seen rock hits like this cut holes in sidewalls of other tires. Doing the more extreme off road rides on a heavy bike like the GSA means this is a tire that makes sense.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #291
Mitas OP
caretaker

... thanks for the comments guys...

@Paul ... Ill come back to you asap..
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #292
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Daniel, I read many of the posts in this thread and on page one a person posted one of you websites where I found this tire E-09 / 4.10-18 M/C. This looks like it would work perfectly for one of my bikes. I have been thinking of selling my 1997 F650 BMW because to be quite frank I fall too much off road on it. It was originally the ST (Strasse) model. So it came with an 18" front wheel instead of the standard 19 or the dakar 21. In any case I have been using a rear tire and the tread pattern is more like 80% street and 20% dirt. Your tire is just the opposite and shows that it can be mounted front or rear. In any case very interested in this tire it may have me keeping the BMW. Please advise if it is still available.
Vielen Dank -Paul
Oh, P.S.
I noticed that you only have a distributor in Arizona. If I may suggest http://www.zenmotostore.com/. The owner Dillon is a very well respected member of the ADV community. If you wanted to get some of your tires on ADV bikes in this state he would be the guy I would try to convince. Besides Ich bin immer ein fan von Deutsche produkte! Danke nochmal
read the whole thread. the convincing the other way around.

understand Daniel is just an employee of Mitas europe posting here as a info source not a true vendor rep. others have tried to pickup the Mitas line via him (or Mitas USA) in the US w/ zero luck.

the only way to buy Mitas in the US at this point is here
www.mitasmx.com
they show to be offering free shipping now, but don't have all the sizes and models (E-07) in stock, plus some have had problems communicating with them. If they have what you need then order there.

If not others just buy from Canada or look at other brands.
http://www.mx1canada.com/Mitas-Motorcycle-Tires-Canada/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #293
eakins
Butler Maps

very impressive on the Dakar construction!
did you have Woodys http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/ straighten your rim?

Quote:
One thing worth mentioning here would be the sidewall strength of the E-09 Dakar. Because it's so strong, you're able to ride further on a flat or low air. Another tire would fail sooner (and a serious hazard at that).

Not that I'm recommending that you EVER ride a tire flat, because you shouldn't.

But this happened to me...

I hit a large rock at pretty high speed (~45-50 mph) doing the LAB2V and the resulting flat spot in my tubeless rim meant the tire wasn't holding air very well. I had to pump it up three more times to get to a gas station. I got there and tried some slime and thought that might help (it really didn't). I didn't have a tube on me, nor did I have my front wheel removal tool even if I did find a tube. I ended up riding it another 195 miles on the highway (Baker to Vegas). I stopped a few times to pump it back up but got down to just 8lbs of air each time. Each time I stopped, I also checked the temperature of the tire, specifically the sidewall and found that it wasn't hot (a good sign). Friction at low pressure will heat up the tire and cause it to fail (with potentially disasterous results).

Again, I would NOT RECOMMEND that you try this if you find yourself in a similar situation. The safest thing to do would have been to put a tube in it or replace the rim or load it on a trailer and fix it later.

But I will say that with a tougher off road tire like the E-09 Dakar, you're going to see less punctures, less sidewall failures than alternative knobby tires. I've seen rock hits like this cut holes in sidewalls of other tires. Doing the more extreme off road rides on a heavy bike like the GSA means this is a tire that makes sense.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #294
fudgypup
Banned

I had Woody's REPLACE my rim.

I wish they could have straightened it. Would have cost me about $250 instead of $500.

Hey, 750Volts!, I'd be careful using a rear tire up front. From what this guy James (who rode the TAT and made a movie of it, "Road Less Travelled") told me, a front tire is made to provide lateral stability such as in a turn to keep your tire from washing out on you. A rear tire is made for digging in and helping to push your bike forward. Putting a rear tire up front will reduce your lateral stability and compromise your cornering. I could be wrong. I'm no tire expert.

And one more comment on my mileage (got about 4,000 but was expecting 6,000)... I have to consider that when I'm offroad I'm running the tires lower in air pressure (20-25 lbs) so that's going to eat rubber quicker than otherwise.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #295
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
I had Woody's REPLACE my rim.

I wish they could have straightened it. Would have cost me about $250 instead of $500.

Hey, 750Volts!, I'd be careful using a rear tire up front. From what this guy James (who rode the TAT and made a movie of it, "Road Less Travelled") told me, a front tire is made to provide lateral stability such as in a turn to keep your tire from washing out on you. A rear tire is made for digging in and helping to push your bike forward. Putting a rear tire up front will reduce your lateral stability and compromise your cornering. I could be wrong. I'm no tire expert.

And one more comment on my mileage (got about 4,000 but was expecting 6,000)... I have to consider that when I'm offroad I'm running the tires lower in air pressure (20-25 lbs) so that's going to eat rubber quicker than otherwise.

So you got 4,000 miles out of a rear knobby on a GSA? Shoot I might just put these on my Tiger when I get to Alaska. I might get more running 28 or 30 psi and my 955i is a couple pounds lighter. Then again I love the throttle so I might get less. These are still cheaper than TKCs so that helps.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #296
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
You are probably totally correct. My buddy Ricardo has a Versys and he is the same spot that I am in. We have bikes that run great but the front wheels just are the wrong size for anything aggressive. I am getting to a point where I think selling the bike is the best option. The cost of a 21" wheel and modifying the bike doesn't make sense on a 1997 bike with 40k miles. Thanks for the heads up!
Its not available at motorcycle-superstore.com yet, but it is on their web site. Conti TKC80 in 120/70-17 and
180/55-17. You and leave your email for when its available. I sold my Uly for this reason. Even though I love the Tiger 955i that replaced it, I miss the Uly. With the adventure bikes coming out with these sizes I think it will sell even though its expensive.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #297
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 866
Just installed F&R Mitas E07 on Tiger ...totally happy! Rode 800 miles this past weekend...on the road they are very smooth & don't wander at speed, plus they felt good in the turns. In the dirt they were performed way better than expected, rode in a lot of wet clay & south Fl swamp conditions. I was running 90mph in the rain Fri. night & the bike tracked straight. Previously had TKC's mounted F&R, rear only lasted 3000miles. So far I am sold on these tires as a 50/50 tire. A couple other ADV'ers were with me & were really surprised how well these tires help up.
It just sucks paying to ship these from Canada...

Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #298
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
what ???
that size (150-70-18") has been on their site the whole time.
bottom one.
http://www.mx1canada.com/Mitas-E07-Rear-130-80-17.html

it was there when i posted the same link for you on the 16th.
do you not see that?

eakins, sorry I missed this post. At MX1Canada I see now that the Mitas E-07 and E-10 come in 150/70-18 TL, didn't spot the E-09 Dakar in 150/70-18 TL. Also noticed no 21" in the much spendier E-10

For a KTM950/990 probably best to run:

E-09 Dakar 90/90-21 TT front and E-10 150/70-18 TL combo for more aggressive offroading. E-09 Dakar rear would be preferred if it becomes available in 150/70-18 TL.

and

E-07 90/90-21 TT front and 150/70-18 TL rear for milder longer ranged trips with more pavement.

Both look good and worth trying. I'll see what www.mitasmx.com has.

Question for Mitas: What is the technical difference between the "tubeless rated" and "tube type" Mitas tires?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #299
Mitas OP
caretaker

Quote:
Daniel, I read many of the posts in this thread and on page one a person posted one of you websites where I found this tire E-09 / 4.10-18 M/C. This looks like it would work perfectly for one of my bikes. I have been thinking of selling my 1997 F650 BMW because to be quite frank I fall too much off road on it. It was originally the ST (Strasse) model. So it came with an 18" front wheel instead of the standard 19 or the dakar 21. In any case I have been using a rear tire and the tread pattern is more like 80% street and 20% dirt. Your tire is just the opposite and shows that it can be mounted front or rear. In any case very interested in this tire it may have me keeping the BMW. Please advise if it is still available.
Vielen Dank -Paul
Oh, P.S.
I noticed that you only have a distributor in Arizona. If I may suggest http://www.zenmotostore.com/. The owner Dillon is a very well respected member of the ADV community. If you wanted to get some of your tires on ADV bikes in this state he would be the guy I would try to convince. Besides Ich bin immer ein fan von Deutsche produkte! Danke nochmal
BACK from Italy

Hi Paul ,

thanks for the comment.
E-09 is a "80%-offroad-tyre" ,... and the notes regarding the lateral "unstability" is a task of the past.
The "Dakar" -versions provide you a really stiff carcass.
For 70-80% road .... E-07

@cyborg ...

step by step we clean out the versions.The difference between TT and TL is the bead construction and the Innerliner.

Where we have both you have a choice. Where we have the TL Version only , it fits with Tube as well.... and so written on the sidewall...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #300
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
You are probably totally correct. My buddy Ricardo has a Versys and he is the same spot that I am in. We have bikes that run great but the front wheels just are the wrong size for anything aggressive. I am getting to a point where I think selling the bike is the best option. The cost of a 21" wheel and modifying the bike doesn't make sense on a 1997 bike with 40k miles. Thanks for the heads up!
versys tires
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695232
Butler Maps website: