Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #421
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSADAKAR View Post

Isn't MX1West the same deal? I'd expect them to be first in line. Maybe even bikebandit.
Revzilla has started selling all the ADV tires, I was hoping they picked up Mitas. They certainly are in a position to stock and sell them.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #422
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,103
I just got back from an 8500km trip using the E-07's and have to say I'm very pleased with these tires.
Not much wear at all on the rear tire. I would guess I could get at least another 8000 on it.
The front is still good but with a bad steering head bearing I may be wearing prematurely.
I did about 1000k of dirt and trail with 40psi in them.
I was never sure how long the dirt would last so I never aired down.
The tires performed well even with the increased pressure.

I think I may have found the perfect tire, for me.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #423
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post
I think I may have found the perfect tire, for me.
They'd be the perfect tire for me too...if I could get them in the U.S....

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #424
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
I still wonder why MitasMX http://www.mitasmx.com/shop/ blew up so bad? They have a huge untapped market here for the E-07 yet it only got worse for people to deal with them. The website is still screwed up. When you click on a E-09 it just goes to the homepage. You can't add a tire to the cart. It's just shot yet is still hosted as a website?

On their site they say they are truely Mitas USA and not a reseller so why can't they be selling these tires, when a reseller in Canada can make it happen? Others have said in the past it's really just a reseller posing as Mitas USA and they tried to make it work, spend big $ on supply tires...but something happened along the way and customer service fell off the cliff.

Now Daniel says they'll truly have US distributor/reseller when Mitas itself could not make a go of it??? Finally you have this vague vendor thread from Daniel who is not representing Mitas officially but looks that way from outside in. The whole thing is just nuts and if I was a reseller i'd have some serious concerns if i was going to spend the $ and pick up Mitas and trust they can supply me product. I know Mitas is a well trusted & quality tire company, but their whole US approach makes ya just go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I think the situation is more rooted in corporate bottlenecks than anything else. E09s are DOT rated too. Never seen an E10 so I couldn't tell you.

Back sometime in early spring I posed a question to Mitas concerning what it would take to become a distributor. I mean shoot, if it's just maintaining a website, dealing with customers, and being able to ship tires, I can do that from home.

This was before MitasMX blew up but everyone was having serious issues with MitasMX customer service.

I was serious about that inquiry. Still am. But other than some really pleasant private conversation with Mitas concerning the state of things I was not provided the specifics of what kind of deal would need to be struck in order for me to become a distributor. The conversation ended by not ending. Mitas who represents the company in the forum btw, is a very nice person.

If it's a case of minimum buys, I'm sure we can come up with the money to get a container. If it's a case of setting up a professional web store and LLC. That can be done. There is really nothing standing in the way of being a small distributor that can't be overcome with some effort.

The problem I encountered in my conversation with Mitas was that I could not get an answer to the very basic questions I was asking and apparently neither could he because I never found out what it would take for someone to distribute these tires in the U.S.

I like Mitas tires and I'd like to see Mitas tires distributed in the continental U.S.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 06:48 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #425
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Consider Mitas is owned by Continental
Owned is perhaps too strong a word. AFAICS, CGS/Mitas produce Continental agricultural tyres under license, but that appears to be the only relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #426
Mitas OP
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
No ,... we own the Agricultural Bussiness Unit of them ... bought in 2004 ,... like Trelleborg Motorcycle.

and ...

Be sure that Mx1canada do NOT underestimate the demands....:-)
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #427
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Any updates on the US distributor? ie are we looking at 2012 or will it not be until 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
No ,... we own the Agricultural Bussiness Unit of them ... bought in 2004 ,... like Trelleborg Motorcycle.

and ...

Be sure that Mx1canada do NOT underestimate the demands....:-)
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #428
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,419
Laugh back when I could buy them....

Mitas Dakar /Tkc 80 setup....

Mitas Dakar:
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #429
eakins
Butler Maps

Why a TKC up front vrs the matching Mitas E-09?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #430
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I can't speak for anyone else on choice of fronts but for me, I stick with one front that is good in almost all terrain and vary the rear as needed to provide traction. My current front of choice is the IRC TR8 which is imho a very good dual purpose block like the TKC if not just a little more aggressive in the dirt.

IRC/TKC tread comparison

I've gone all directions from the Heidi front (which is about almost all a street tire) to the MT21 and other heavily dirt oriented fronts but I find a good block is a great no hassle "do everything" tire to keep on the front at all times regardless of what kind of riding I'm doing. Rarely will I push the TR8 to it's capabilities on the street and just as rarely will I push it to it's capabilities in the dirt. Sure there are times on both street and dirt that I had something more aggressive in either direction but those times are so rare that they aren't but a momentary inconvenience for me.

About the only other readily avalible tire that comes close to being a "do everything" tire (imho) is the T63.

But again, if we could get Mitas tires in the U.S. they might be a competitor to other tires I've tried. I've not tried the E10 front or rear but I imagine the E10 front would rank up there with the TKC for me.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #431
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
IRC/TKC tread comparison
Amazing where my photos turn up!

I scored that TR8 as a freebie, new but old and a bit hard. Can't actually buy them here in NZ, so I've got no idea what they are like with fresh rubber. The extra spacing certainly gives it much better grip in the dirt than the TKC80.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #432
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,320
Working on my second set of E07's. So far, for me, this is the right tire for my 12gsa. Turn and burn on pavement and gravel, works well in the trails.

I loved my tkc's, but they're a lot pricier for me, and once they're past half life, and if it's cold&wet... spooky. Really spooky. Super-Slider Sno-Skates from Ronco spooky. But they were my faves, until these. Tried... everything except Mefo's and Kenda's on this bike. So I've got a bit of experience with the other options.

For once, it'll cost americans more than us canucks for bike stuff, since mx1canada is the source. Sorry about that.

These are worth your effort to try. As an added bonus for me: Because of their wear, I have to buy one less set of tires this season (2 v 3). That makes it a big savings for the gas-in-the-tank fund.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #433
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:

Isn't MX1West the same deal?
yes they are http://www.mx1west.com/ http://www.mx1canada.com/
...and as the riding season fades away to winter we're all still wondering where they are?

canada is saying this,
UPDATE: Some of the more popular sizes which are showing as out of stock or on Pre-Order status are due to arrive in our warehouse in early September fresh from the factory in the Czech Republic. Check back for further updates.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #434
eakins
Butler Maps

my previous set was a tkc-80 front and mefo explorer rear.

my latest front is also a 21" IRC tr8 which i love for the $
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

note: if this was a true vendor thread i would not post a link to buy a competing product, but this is far from a
Mitas USA vendor thread. i suggest whomever is finally supplying Mitas in the US to start a new thread and let this one die.

i'd give the E-09 front a whirl if the price comes in aggressive enough.

mine does not have that slight tread block shift like yours.
it does just as well as the tck on the paved yet better in the dirt (you can see the more open tread pattern)

i'll continue using it but will not be using the current shinko 700 i have on the rear (good in paved, just ok in the dirt, wears fast) and hope at that next time i'll be using an E07 rear (hopefully bought in the US)

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else on choice of fronts but for me, I stick with one front that is good in almost all terrain and vary the rear as needed to provide traction. My current front of choice is the IRC TR8 which is imho a very good dual purpose block like the TKC if not just a little more aggressive in the dirt.

IRC/TKC tread comparison

I've gone all directions from the Heidi front (which is about almost all a street tire) to the MT21 and other heavily dirt oriented fronts but I find a good block is a great no hassle "do everything" tire to keep on the front at all times regardless of what kind of riding I'm doing. Rarely will I push the TR8 to it's capabilities on the street and just as rarely will I push it to it's capabilities in the dirt. Sure there are times on both street and dirt that I had something more aggressive in either direction but those times are so rare that they aren't but a momentary inconvenience for me.

About the only other readily avalible tire that comes close to being a "do everything" tire (imho) is the T63.

But again, if we could get Mitas tires in the U.S. they might be a competitor to other tires I've tried. I've not tried the E10 front or rear but I imagine the E10 front would rank up there with the TKC for me.

eakins screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 10:18 PM
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #435
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Funny.

I'm onto, and really liking, the TR8 front too. Been riding one for the last several months. In love with the TR8 on the DR650.

Shinko 700 not so much front or rear...really not a fan of the 700's at all. Didn't like front. Didn't like rear.

Prefer the Shinko 244 for both over the 700 even though the 244 get's sometimes poor reviews. I like it anyway.

Upfront on the 19 inch wheel bikes (Vee and F650GS) I'm super super happy with the Shinko SR241 Trials tire. That is one under-rated tire if you ask me. Love it for highway and for dirt. Great for the thumpers. At least that's my hmo.

And yes...Daniel doesn't seem to have much power of control. I would suggest anyone who takes over and brings MITAS into the USA start a new thread. Too much bad juju with this one.