User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Dr_RickyP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Deals Gap/Western North Carolina

Took the KLR up to North Carolina last weekend. Stayed at Ironhorse Motorcycle Resort. Rode the Dragon, rode all over the place! I did alot of riding in one direction, flipping a coin, and then riding in another direction. There was no rhyme or reason to my routes. Just wanted to get away and log some miles.

All packed up and ready to hit the road

Dr_RickyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
we are going there in Aug. a group of 8. we are staying at Deals Gap mc resort. Thanks for the pictures.
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,723
Great pics!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Dr_RickyP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN View Post
we are going there in Aug. a group of 8. we are staying at Deals Gap mc resort. Thanks for the pictures.
no problem. R u sure you wanna stay at Deals Gap motorcycle resort? It's more like a motel with a gas station that just happens to be at the beginning of the Dragon. I almost stayed there, then changed my mind. When I stopped by there to ride the dragon, I was suprised. I expected more...but basically it is a crappy motel that happens to have ALOT of bikes stop by there. I don't know why they use the name "Resort". There are alot of other places to stay in the area that are nicer, more fun, and equally priced. I fully recommend Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort. They call it a resort, and mean it. It was incredible. It was about 20 or so minutes from the Dragon, and close to alot of other good riding. I'm staying there again this fall.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_RickyP View Post
no problem. R u sure you wanna stay at Deals Gap motorcycle resort? It's more like a motel with a gas station that just happens to be at the beginning of the Dragon. I almost stayed there, then changed my mind. When I stopped by there to ride the dragon, I was suprised. I expected more...but basically it is a crappy motel that happens to have ALOT of bikes stop by there. I don't know why they use the name "Resort". There are alot of other places to stay in the area that are nicer, more fun, and equally priced. I fully recommend Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort. They call it a resort, and mean it. It was incredible. It was about 20 or so minutes from the Dragon, and close to alot of other good riding. I'm staying there again this fall.
It's a motorcycle resort. It definitely is a must stop destination for motorcycles.

People don't really stay there for awesome lodging. They stay there for ease of access to the road. It's really nice to wake up at first light and hit the road before anyone else, especially the blue lights. The breakfast is pretty good too.

It's a great place to hang out when there is a lot of people at the fire pit.

Also, if you are lucky enough to experience one of our fiddy nights, it's pretty spectacular. We put on a pretty good show racing pit bikes in the parking lot every two weeks on saturday nights. We raced last night and will be racing again in two weeks and two weeks after that and etc...
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Dr_RickyP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip View Post
It's a motorcycle resort. It definitely is a must stop destination for motorcycles.

People don't really stay there for awesome lodging. They stay there for ease of access to the road. It's really nice to wake up at first light and hit the road before anyone else, especially the blue lights. The breakfast is pretty good too.

It's a great place to hang out when there is a lot of people at the fire pit.

Also, if you are lucky enough to experience one of our fiddy nights, it's pretty spectacular. We put on a pretty good show racing pit bikes in the parking lot every two weeks on saturday nights. We raced last night and will be racing again in two weeks and two weeks after that and etc...
definetly accessible....if you wanna ride the dragon. Anyone who wants to ride western NC/East TN would enjoy a stay there if they want to constantly be around that scene. There are plenty of places to stay, and I'd recommend somewhere else, that's all.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,964

Looks like you had fun!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_RickyP View Post
definetly accessible....if you wanna ride the dragon. Anyone who wants to ride western NC/East TN would enjoy a stay there if they want to constantly be around that scene. There are plenty of places to stay, and I'd recommend somewhere else, that's all.
Yeah I guess it's more of a sportbiker type deal for access to that particular road. There are a lot better roads in the area for the KLR.

What gravel did you hit in the area?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
Dr_RickyP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Deals Gap MC Resort is definetly a must if you are in the area, regardless what kind of bike you are on...I saw just as many harleys as I did sportbikes...but the sportbikes made it look good! I'm just not into the crowds. I stopped by, saw the tree of shame, talked to some folks, after which, I rode the dragon twice, stopped back in, bought a patch, a sticker, a cold drink, then headed west for some more riding that was less crowded. I did some gravel off Rainbow Springs rd, Needmore Rd, and Tellico Gap rd. Not as much as I had wanted, though. Was really only there for a day and a half, but still covered about 800 miles. Had a blast. Next time I'm up there, I will surely go to Deals Gap again. Just can't see myself staying there. But the stuff you said that they have going on every couple weeks sounds like it would be cool to see.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 218
Try Fontana Village with a group of 8 riders.. They have the Lodge, campgrounds, pool, food, a store and CABINS you can rent. Some have HOT TUBS. Seriously, Fontana Village is a really nice spot to stay.. I am in the area several times a year and always enjoy being in one of the cabins in the village.. Great history, an ice cream parlor and fantastic access to some of the best roads in the area.. (The Dragon is nowhere near the best road in the area.....) Have a GREAT trip!

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oh I am not suggesting DGMR is bad for any type of bike, but staying there is great if you want to raise a little hell on the road. Easy to do early morning/late evening/night rides and not have to travel 20-30 minutes to the other resorts. I love DGMR.

Tapoco Lodge is back open or may be still in the process of reopening. They have done a complete remodel to that place, it looks awesome. I always loved staying there for a mini vacation.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Dr_RickyP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip View Post
Oh I am not suggesting DGMR is bad for any type of bike, but staying there is great if you want to raise a little hell on the road. Easy to do early morning/late evening/night rides and not have to travel 20-30 minutes to the other resorts. I love DGMR.

Tapoco Lodge is back open or may be still in the process of reopening. They have done a complete remodel to that place, it looks awesome. I always loved staying there for a mini vacation.
I agree. I'll look into the Tapoco Lodge. I'd probably stay at DGMR if I had a group that wanted to stay there. For solo trips, I prefer the more off the map places to stay.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
So did you find a place to go for a swim?

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 397
I have been riding to this area since the early 1990's. I have stayed at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort several times over the years. It seems to get a little more run down every time I have stayed there. Last time was about 3 years ago. The bedspreads were not clean and had holes in them. Mold in my shower. Various lights didn't work. And I had to pay something like $50 to stay there.

My suggestion is to move to one of the other places to stay if you can. I can personally recommend the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort. A little further from the Tail of the Dragon, but the road between the two is nice with some good curves of it's own. You can camp, stay in the bunkhouse, or rent one of the cabins. Reasonably priced as well (that is for rooms, etc in a tourist area).

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Dr_RickyP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY View Post
I have been riding to this area since the early 1990's. I have stayed at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort several times over the years. It seems to get a little more run down every time I have stayed there. Last time was about 3 years ago. The bedspreads were not clean and had holes in them. Mold in my shower. Various lights didn't work. And I had to pay something like $50 to stay there.

My suggestion is to move to one of the other places to stay if you can. I can personally recommend the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort. A little further from the Tail of the Dragon, but the road between the two is nice with some good curves of it's own. You can camp, stay in the bunkhouse, or rent one of the cabins. Reasonably priced as well (that is for rooms, etc in a tourist area).

Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort is where I stayed. Rented a bunk in the bunkhouse for $25 per night. Top-notch place. I'll stay there again, to be sure.