Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
Blinkerfluid had certain spots mapped out on the GPS to get us through the whole Fandango rd etc route that takes you to Plush, OR. The problem is that the main road is a dirt road.. the side roads? pretty much faint paths. Oregon might even put larger cattle trails down as roads at this point. Needless to say, we missed some turns. Didn't really matter because we ended up where we wanted to be. I haven't posted much of them, but I have a ton of pictures of beautiful scenery, badass motorcycles, and Blinkerfluid sitting on his bike staring at the GPS.

Either way, we made it to Plush.

This is another one of those towns where the gas station is the general store and the bar and the hangout and the grocery store and the library etc etc. I got the steak fingers. They were delicious. I didn't get the typical "goofy ADV grin with middle finger over the food" shot... I was really hungry.

We were planning on camping, so we bought some stuff for breakfast. Blinkerfluid went healthy and got canned peaches and a bag of Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies. I decided I burned enough calories yelling obscenities at my bike and picking it back up off the ground that I deserved powdered donuts for breakfast. The lady working at the store was super sweet and helpful and told us about some hot springs that people camp at all the time up on Hart Mountain. We decided that watching the sun set from the top of a mountain while soaking in some secluded hot springs after a full day of riding sounded pretty much like heaven so we set off...

This whole valley is actually a wetlands area.

The road going up the mountain was twisty and probably a lot more fun than I should have made it that late in the day!

Proof that I didn't actually light the KLX on fire in the middle of the desert

underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

We finally made it to the top of the mountain. There is a ranger station of sorts up there. Hot springs! We're almost there!

The hot springs were down a bit from the main road and we could see the deep blues and other bright colors... unfortunately there were also about 7 other cars full of people there. Most of them might not be camping, right? I was really hoping for seclusion.... So we stopped to discuss and realized something that we hadn't noticed at all while riding.

The air was almost black with swarming mosquitos... We didn't even take out helmets off. I was glad to have my bandana over my mouth already. (690 kicks up some dust!) I got bitten 3 times through my gloves. It was ridiculous. So we left. Surely there must be some other campgrounds further down the road?

...and what a road it was! The sun was starting to set, turning everything gold.

My only action shot.

just kidding!

I had to stop to take this picture. Not enough coordination to dig out my dslr while riding. Next trip we go on, I'll be sure to try some fancy shenanigans with my Canon SD1400.

Well. Obviously the sun is setting. We're both tired. There is NOTHING out here. No campgrounds. and there was a sign that said to camp in designated areas only. and the next town is an hour or more away I think. Did I mention this is also an antelope preserve? I'm not totally cool with stealth camping but eventually my love of sleep won out. We found a side road and rode that for about a mile and decided we'd just go for it.

The main road is that way

Now, I feel compelled to mention here that Blinkerfluid has been talking nonstop for months about how he wants to sleep out under the stars in the middle of the desert with no light pollution or people or anything! There were no lights here.. not even a faint blinking tower in the distance. Utter quiet and solitude and darkness.

Stars so close you could reach out and touch them.

Awesome end to a freaking awesome day!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #18
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by underkill View Post

Stars so close you could reach out and touch them.

Spectacular images!

Now that you know about the weirdest cattle guard in the western USA, (like we've never seen anywhere else) just set it up in 3rd or 4th and give it the gas!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

HAHA! Very nice indeed! I didn't think to jump it... I think my pig flies... but I'm not sure how she'd land it!

BTW specs for day 1:

Miles Ridden: 277
Drops of KLX: 2
Lessons Learned: Wilderness camping makes me paranoid. Wearing earplugs and one of those girly girl eye cover thingies helps this. If I'm going to be eaten by wild animals I don't want to see or hear anything.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

I wake up for work at 4:45 every morning anyway. So I was up before the sun. Slept pretty darn good and didn't get eaten by coyotes. The wind did pick up a little bit, which made the tent flap around more than usual because we couldnt get stakes in the ground. Either way, the sunrise was a great start to the morning even though I didn't bother making coffee!

Sunrise over the sagebrush

Blinkerfluid: NOT a morning person.

Ended up on some pavement after our escape from the Antelope preserve. I had thought we were out of the preserve before camping. turns out we werent! oops! Also, there are tons of jackrabbits out here... they're like the squirrels of the west... running out into the road and then changing their minds and running back.. No jackalopes though.. I was really hoping to see one!

We rolled into Fields at 8:00. The gas station opens at 9:00. We met up with a couple on some Beemers, and a guy on a zebra painted somethingoranother. They're all on ADV.

Fields only really has this one building. it's the gas station, post office, hotel, etc... Very interesting! It's still foreign to me that not all little towns have gasoline... I also hate that you can't pump your own gas in oregon..
Old 07-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

So we had an hour to kill before the people showed up to run the station. Blinkerfluid was screwing with the GPS again. So I took out my camera and went hunting for things to shoot!

Finally! 9:00!!! We filled our bikes with gas, rolled them out of the way and went inside. We had read that Fields has the most amazing milkshakes in the world ever. Well, they DO! Seriously, I want to drive back down to Fields right now for a freaking milkshake all the way from just south of Seattle... They're that good.

Don't be fooled by its lackluster appearance.. there is crack in here.

Coffee: great for jittery trip routing.

Breakfast of champions. It was a big plate but I managed!

Who else gets an ACTION SHOT of breakfast!!! c'mon!

Blinkerfluid got a milkshake and french toast for breakfast! I put some milkshake in my coffee... All is well with the world!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

There were 3 things we really wanted to do this trip:
1. Camp out in the desert - AWESOME!
2. Steens mountain loop- snowed in up top= FAIL
3. Ride on the Alvord dry lake bed - flooded=FAIL

Well, shit...
It's still a lake lake not a dry lake. Too early in the season I guess! Which is a shame because I really wanted to take some hilarious pictures out there! No point in going for top speed on the bike... I know what that is: 78 mph. Barely above interstate speed... and wrong anyway due to speedo errors... so.. meh. It was still a pretty lake though. I did wonder how deep it is and if anyone has ever tried to kayak it?

A mildly dissapointed Blinkerfluid. It wasn't too bad though.. the whole point of this trip is that there weren't any plans and we had no idea where we were going.. so.. we'll just keep going and find somewhere else that's cool!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
The United States western Oregon beautiful, ha ha ~ ~ ~
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #24
HeavyFuel
Likes Flaturin

Oddometer: 18
Awesome ride, beautiful pics;

I love this state!
HeavyFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #25
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,657
Funny how that exact route sucks in a person wingin' it, I've ridden that almost exactly the same without a map.

We have some of those humped cattle guards around here and if you go too slow you will high center and fall over.

Nice report!!!

Love the flower pics!!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #26
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,029
I agree with Wachs

This is great

and

it's my new desktop
Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
lakecntyrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Great pictures! Love riding this country. Need to get back up there. Thanks for sharing.
11 RR: Alaska
lakecntyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #28
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Great RR!

Good riding, Super photos and Superlative Commentary; what more could it need? Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #29
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
was wondering what you two were doing out there, now i know.

i had to tune in, at the very least, to see what you were riding, not that you have been known to buy/sell bikes.

love the wide open spaces...heading west myself this season.

safe travels.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #30
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Great report. Might be heading back up there in August. Thanks for posting.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote