Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #61
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Great report and fantastic pics. I nominated the "stars and bikes" pic for the front page.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #62
juliaschrenkler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
amazing

Your funny and smart ride report with great pics just made me want to hit the road. Really nice read!
juliaschrenkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #63
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Loved the RR. Trips with no apparent route can be some of the best ever. Thanks for all the laughs!!

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #64
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,056
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #65
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21 View Post
Great report and fantastic pics. I nominated the "stars and bikes" pic for the front page.
Awesome! Thanks! That's one of the few pictures that I took
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #66
Sugar Foot
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Great report!

Simply amazing report!
Bike + stars = awesome.
Bear Cat info = priceless.
Valve + pumps = will keep me busy for hours. I work in a brewery as QC Mgr but have a secret passion for mechanical engineering. BTW, that's a plug valve rather than a gate valve, right? Wonder if it was metal-on-metal seating or had some rudimentary 'elastomer' (ala hemp string).

Cheers,

Sugar Foot
New Glarus Brewing Co.
Sugar Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #67
moist
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
Incredible report.
Fantastic pictures.

I wish I could say more and say something which would show you how great your adventure was to read, but this is all I can say. Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #68
cactusreid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Nice ride report you guys/gals! Cruising and having fun ,makes for great adventures. Here's a hola senoir for jw and his lovely wife carol at the bearcat lodge as well. Myself and a few friends were down for a ride about 3 summers ago from kamloops bc canada,and we had a great time with jw and carol. If your heading to seneca,grab jw a couple of cuban cigars if you can find them, and anjo tequila never goes to waste around there either! Cactusreid
cactusreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #69
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
Glad everyone enjoyed it and thought it was actually funny! Sometimes I just start typing and don't even really read it!

Well, the one good part about the dust is it makes it really easy to see where my bike has small oil leaks.. but it's ok, they all do that...

So, we learned quite a lot on this trip.

1. put the chain lube in the tank bag. We rode 1200 miles in the dust and dirt and never lubed our chains. Which was stupid, but it's kinda hard to get to the other side of the giantloop bags if the zippers are both on one side, so we never bothered. My chain was making all sorts of heinous noises towards the end. Usually i'm really anal about bike maintainance... So, put it in the tank bag where you can get to it!

2. camping. we just didn't do it this time. It was worth carting all the stuff around just so we could camp under the stars that one night, but next time I don't think we'll bother at all. The hotels were easy and cheap out that way and the bike is a TON more fun without all that shit on the back of it.

3. I need a bigger tank. Hopefully in a couple months the one that clark/ims is making for my bike (the one actually FOR the 2009, not just cobbled toghether!) will be available! Which means I can eliminate my tower of flammables.

4. The 2 1 gallon gas cans actually worked great. Way cheaper than a rotopax for essentially the same result. I felt better with the cans on top rather than on the side of the bike where some people mount them. I drop my bike a lot on its side and this just worked better for me. The cans never budged while tied to the giantloop. On rough roads though the little fender clips came loose (I need to be more diligent about checking those and retightening things) and it could have theoretically been a huge freaking dangerous flammable mess. So, the cans werent the most elegant solution, but it's kinda what I had to do.

5. the cans themselves. Cans worked great. I HATE HATE HATE the new store/pour lame ass spouts they put on. they're overly complicated and hard to use. I broke them both over the course of the trip. BUT they still didn't leak and poured fine... If you use these cans, try to find the old school spouts for them. Either way at $8 each they're almost disposable compared to the $50 or whatever for hte rotopax ones. Also FYI, the new style spouts on the 1 gallon cans (unsure of the larger can spouts) aren't long enough to use in a car fuel filler. We ended the trip with spare gas and wanted to just dump it into the subaru, but no go... lame.

6. Sidi boots run narrow.

7. I only ever used one of my gas cans, and I think blinkerfluid only used his once just as a precaution and wouldnt have needed it.

8. the fuel mileage of the 690 varies widely based on how much fun is being had! the darn thing gets as good mileage as my little underpowered 250.. sometimes! when he's blasting on it it'll get like 35 or some ridiculous number! so... something to keep in mind...

9. I never once made coffee.

10. Wish i'd had one of those retractable lanyards for my point and shoot camera. There was stuff I'd have taken pictures of, but didn't really want to stop and get the real camera out of the tank bag. Maybe next time I guess...

11. Glad I decided to leave the waterproof winter gloves in the car. We're so used to the pacific northwet that I went overboard with cool weather gear and waterproofing.. we're going to the DESERT... horses for courses! but I guess I'll have to do a gear review later on when I actually test all the stuff I did against the water... I'm pretty sure it'll rain up here soon enough..

12. I want to do the OBDR! it looks like a blast!!!

13. Earlier this year I did the "All women's adventure camp" at PSSOR (puget sound safety offroad). It was a ridiculous amount of fun with some truly amazing women. I learned sooooo much, even though I thought it was mostly basic stuff, but I left the camp and suddently I ride smoother and faster and more controlled. The instructors are made of magic. So if you're over here on the left side of the US (although we had some chicks from Alaska and texas!) I highly recommend this! (or the regular adventure camp for you dudes).

14. I love my KLX!
underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #70
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Now that you are done I'll make some comments:

1) First, great ride report. Always enjoy quality pictures and commentary. I've been wanting to branch out on my dualsport trips and Oregon has been one area I'd like to do. Problem is your american roads are too maintained =) Need more rocks, roots, and ruts.

2) Gas jugs are safer then you think. Yes, something might happen, but what happens with a cracked tank leaking on a exhaust pipe?? Those jerry cans can likely take a toss down a gravel or paved road without incident.

3) Your mindset controls your riding. Not your attitude or current temperment. I ride with some girls that can seriously ride. Hoping 20" logs and ride the gnarliest trails. Then I ride with other people who have the wrong mindset that prevents them from riding to their ability. It's the gas first, think second temperment that allows you to ride better upset. Nearly every situation can benefit from more gas. Both on and off-road.

4) Also, what air pressure are you running that trials tire? With a loaded bike with you on it and no deflection makes me think it's aired pretty high.

Keep on rolling. Will keep an eye out for future ride reports from both of you.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #71
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Now that you are done I'll make some comments:

1) First, great ride report. Always enjoy quality pictures and commentary. I've been wanting to branch out on my dualsport trips and Oregon has been one area I'd like to do. Problem is your american roads are too maintained =) Need more rocks, roots, and ruts.

2) Gas jugs are safer then you think. Yes, something might happen, but what happens with a cracked tank leaking on a exhaust pipe?? Those jerry cans can likely take a toss down a gravel or paved road without incident.

3) Your mindset controls your riding. Not your attitude or current temperment. I ride with some girls that can seriously ride. Hoping 20" logs and ride the gnarliest trails. Then I ride with other people who have the wrong mindset that prevents them from riding to their ability. It's the gas first, think second temperment that allows you to ride better upset. Nearly every situation can benefit from more gas. Both on and off-road.

4) Also, what air pressure are you running that trials tire? With a loaded bike with you on it and no deflection makes me think it's aired pretty high.

Keep on rolling. Will keep an eye out for future ride reports from both of you.
The dirt roads in oregon are well maintained because they're the MAIN roads! and I get the impression they're used a lot for the cattle/farming, so I imagine they like to keep them nice. Oregon was a very very interesting ride though! I definitely want to go back there! I'd imagine I'll be heading to eastern Washington and Idaho next though!

I do tend to gas first think later... but I also have a tendency to target fixate ... ohwell.. I'm getting better about it though..

no idea about the air pressure.. we did air it up a little before we left since the trip was really about 50/50 pavement/dirt... I wish it had occurred to me to tighten up the rear suspension a bit though.. I have it set all the way loose and it works really well for me.. until I stack a ton of crap on the back of the bike.. I still love that MT43 though.. I really need another one now.. That sucker is FLAT! not that I didn't try to get those chicken strips!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #72
XPLORZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Great ride report! We were the two on the bmw's in Fields when you two pulled in for gas. After we left and headed North on hwy205 I was thinking of you on the 250 in those smokin crosswinds you had to have rode in coming into Fields. The zebra bike that was there we ran into again on the South Steens Road. He stopped and chatted while we were stopped looking at the wild horses.

We had the same thought about kayaking the desert.

Blinkerfluid 'splained the writing on top of your front number plate, HB.

Excellent photography. Sometimes I wish I would bring the DSLR on trips, but I have a Panasonic FZ-28 superzoom that goes around my neck while riding. Most of my pics are while still riding. Only crashed once so far.......
XPLORZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #73
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by underkill View Post
The dirt roads in oregon are well maintained because they're the MAIN roads! and I get the impression they're used a lot for the cattle/farming, so I imagine they like to keep them nice. Oregon was a very very interesting ride though! I definitely want to go back there! I'd imagine I'll be heading to eastern Washington and Idaho next though!

I do tend to gas first think later... but I also have a tendency to target fixate ... ohwell.. I'm getting better about it though..

no idea about the air pressure.. we did air it up a little before we left since the trip was really about 50/50 pavement/dirt... I wish it had occurred to me to tighten up the rear suspension a bit though.. I have it set all the way loose and it works really well for me.. until I stack a ton of crap on the back of the bike.. I still love that MT43 though.. I really need another one now.. That sucker is FLAT! not that I didn't try to get those chicken strips!
Yea! I ride with a dunlop trials tire here on my dirt bike. Easier to find at our crappy bike shops. Normally run 6.5psi, but I know some run down to 3psi. The tire compound degrades before the tire wears out. I used it for two years where normally I would change out 4+ tires in that time. Never a flat, and to prove a point I put the UHD tube back in a new one and pushing for two more years of no tire changes. There is a few TT followers here, but many still think a knobbie is better. The all too "I need all the downhill braking I can get" addage. I go down everything they do and then some. Sure it's not great at that, but it works. I can then ride up the tree at the bottom =)

On my XRR I run used knobbies from dirt bike friends because a) I'm cheap, b) the thing eats tires anyways.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #74
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORZ View Post
Great ride report! We were the two on the bmw's in Fields when you two pulled in for gas. After we left and headed North on hwy205 I was thinking of you on the 250 in those smokin crosswinds you had to have rode in coming into Fields. The zebra bike that was there we ran into again on the South Steens Road. He stopped and chatted while we were stopped looking at the wild horses.

We had the same thought about kayaking the desert.

Blinkerfluid 'splained the writing on top of your front number plate, HB.

Excellent photography. Sometimes I wish I would bring the DSLR on trips, but I have a Panasonic FZ-28 superzoom that goes around my neck while riding. Most of my pics are while still riding. Only crashed once so far.......

Hi bmw people! I think Blinkerfluid showed me your ride report! which was interesting because you guys ended up going to the exact places we wanted to go but didn't see this trip! The Pilllars of Rome looked very cool.. as did the Steens loop!

Haha yeah... the "honey badger" is to make me laugh and remind me to 'not give a shit' while riding... it works... most of the time!

Thanks for the compliment on the photos! I usually try to bring the DSLR with me. It's old and beat to shit, so if it dies on the trip, it's lived a good life. and my point and shoot is a total piece of crap.. I really need to just mail it back to the factory and be done with it... I would looooove one of those Canon G12 badass point and shoots though... I might make that my next camera and get out of the dslr world alltogether... but yeah.. I need to work on the 'taking pics while riding' thing... my little SD1400 is just... TINY though... so.. we'll see...
Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #75
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by underkill View Post
Hi bmw people! I think Blinkerfluid showed me your ride report! which was interesting because you guys ended up going to the exact places we wanted to go but didn't see this trip! The Pilllars of Rome looked very cool.. as did the Steens loop!

Haha yeah... the "honey badger" is to make me laugh and remind me to 'not give a shit' while riding... it works... most of the time!

Thanks for the compliment on the photos! I usually try to bring the DSLR with me. It's old and beat to shit, so if it dies on the trip, it's lived a good life. and my point and shoot is a total piece of crap.. I really need to just mail it back to the factory and be done with it... I would looooove one of those Canon G12 badass point and shoots though... I might make that my next camera and get out of the dslr world alltogether... but yeah.. I need to work on the 'taking pics while riding' thing... my little SD1400 is just... TINY though... so.. we'll see...
Hey underkill! Speaking of the G12 (sounds like spy lingo!) have you found any reviews or anything to identify how good this will work in dusty or wet conditions? I shoot with a piece o crap Olympus but thankfully it is waterproof to 10m and I can run it over etc( )w/ no issues. While I don't expect that from every camera, dust is a major killer to most and I haven't found any data on how well these work in less than ideal conditions. Just curious.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote