User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:59 AM   #1
outlaws OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
San Diego Hijinks Redux

This was the first ADV dualsport overnight camping I have done 3 years ago and also the funnest. The turnout was great, people were friendly and a fun group to boot. At the time I haven't done much offroading and did not even own a GPS device. I was just following the group and luckily had a sweep to show me where to go when I fell way back behind and having a hand when dropping my bike on a hill and could not pick it up by myself with loaded gear.

Well fast forward 3 years later I have gotten a lot more experience under my belt since then and at least knew how to work the GPS device by now and done multiple overnight camping on my bike to know what to bring and what not to bring. And more importantly more experience riding in multiple terrains that we have in socal.

So here is my first real solo camping off the bike and a little exploratory following the tracks of the so called San Diego Hijinks route. I love to explore solo instead of a group I get to stop when I want and how much I want and no working around people's schedule.

I'm not much of a story teller so I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

The plan was real simple, start from Idyllwild and camp overnight near Mt Laguna and loop back north and head home.

I wake up bright and early as usual around 5AM and start loading up my bike. I am packed and ready to go by 6AM. I arrive at Red Kettle cafe to have breakfast. I judge a cafe by how well they make the country fried steak. This place did not disappoint the portion was just right not too much and not too small.

As I eat my breakfast I notice this license plate, <3IDYLWD , pretty neat

Alright enough background and fluff time to get some dirt riding in!

A funny event as I head down this canyon I see a car parked in the middle of the road. A guy and his gf was taking a leak by the side of the car. His gf jumps up as I approach I had no idea what she was doing until I saw what had happened. She appeared to be really embarrased and her bf was just laughing. I rode by pretending to not acknowledge what had happened to maker his gf feel better.

outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:01 AM   #2
outlaws OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As I stop to take a pic of this body of water I notice something moving in the bushes just out the corner of my eyes. Could this be the day I get attacked by a mtn lion? One of my greatest fears being alone.

As I turn my head I see these 3 puppies just chilling in the shade. They looked like they were waiting for someone to come back for them. I did not know where I was and waht these puppies were doing out there and there did not look like anyone was nearby. I figured they were probably abandoned or lost but have no way to carry them because there were 3 of them and they were quite big to fit in my backpack. I had to leave them behind there was not much I could do at least they have access to water.

I continue on my journey.

Around Palomar Divide

Old Today, 10:02 AM   #3
outlaws OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Before heading to Burnt Rancheria Campground near Mt Laguna to settle for the night I dropped by Julian for some supplies (food and beer) for the night. Julian is known for their apple pies and apple products. As I park my bike someone approaches me and we start chatting. The nice thing about being solo on a bike is people approach you more frequently than in a group. I always love to hear about people's tales. He tells me about the Julian Deli and Market being in flames and how he had help re-build it in the 90s. I had not known that.

I'm not a fan of pie and dessert so I pick up a bottle of Apple juice. Quite a cold refreshment after a long day of riding.

Then I come across this guy walking his llama on the side of the road. I had to stop and take a snap of his picture.

The road to Mt LAguna is fantastic, Sunrise Highway. Just beautiful open meadows.

I finally reach Burnt Rancheria Campground and bunker down for the night.

I do a quick exploration of the campsite before sunset.

Old Today, 10:02 AM   #4
outlaws OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next morning I wake up bright and early and hit the road by 8am.

After leaving the campsite I pull over a turn off and enjoy the views.

Down there, Anza Borrego is where I will be heading eventually! So beautiful and surreal it almost looks like a painting. I could stare at that all day but had more riding to do.

Before that though, I will be taking a quick detour and checking out Descanso.

Photogenetic Llama, look at those pearly bright teeth

Old Today, 10:03 AM   #5
outlaws OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After Descanso it is time to head to Anza Borrego.

Flowering cactus

Cholla farm

After Anza it is time to go through Warner Springs

I come across a locked gate on the tracks and found another fire service road to take but lost my bearings. Just as this happens I see this guy slide down the side of the road from the bushes. I decide to chat him up to see where the roads leads and how to get to where I need to go. He was friendly and knowledgable and told me the ways. I thanked him and continued my way.

I come across my last locked gate of the trip, this ends up being private property and easily bypassed.

Total stats of the trip not including the ride to and from my house. I rode a total of 500 miles in 2 days end to end.

Old Today, 08:20 PM   #6
Wisco
Muddy Knobs!

Oddometer: 52
Nice report. Sounds like a fun ride. It's good to see and read about other parts of the country. I'm heading out on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail next week with two inmates I meet here. It will be my first big dual sport camping ride. I hope to have a nice ride report posted in the next few weeks.
Old Today, 09:00 PM   #7
Moto Vaquero
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 328
Nice ride. Approx how much of this was/is dirt vs asphalt?

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03 PM   #8
boman250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
You are in my neck of the woods. Your ride looks like what I want to do every weekend. Idywild has been my destination a couple of times. If you ever want to do a group ride, I know a couple more dual sport riders who are quite awesome!
boman250 is offline   Reply With Quote