User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,641
Thumb Count me in

Im in old boy...I take it the 'ol man is fly'n back to get the GS later...?
Or'd he trade it on Moms new Hog?
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
Glad to see ya here Jim, you will just have to wait on the story on the bike. At this point the bike is in storage at the Harley shop. We are not real sure how or when we will get it back, but we have a few options.

After the purchase we head off to Pinedale, WY. It’s late in the afternoon when we leave and we still have to make it a few hundred miles. We leave on empty stomachs not having and food while work on get the bike out of Beers Harley dealership as soon as possible. On the way we go through Flaming gorge with its breath taking scenery. This day is a good one as we will find only a few minutes of rain.

The Hillbilly Harley at our stay for the night

johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #18
LoneRanger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I'm in, this is going to be a good one. Nothing like picking up a brand new Harley and immediately riding it to Inuvik!
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Late night and early morning, we need to be in Bosie this afternoon. We have a good ride for about half the day to day as we ride through Palisades. Great cool morning and the Hoeback junction makes for awesome scenery and comfort. If you have rode Harleys much there are a few things that are common to have issues with if you do not stay on them.
We are riding along construction area’s before the crews are out and lots of little dirt road detours. After a few mile the morning cobwebs are getting blown out and we begin to settle into the ride, then all of a sudden my dad hits his brakes and pulls off the road rather abruptly. Mom passes him then pulls over and I pull up beside him to see what’s up. He had blown the muffler off. Typical Harley issue number one

So we take the heat shields off of the Vance and Hines exhaust system was not put on properly and the muffler had been completely on the header pipe. Gotta love used bikes when the dealership had done all the work 
After about 15 minutes we are rolling again, and enjoying the ride. This area of Wyoming and Idaho are beautiful with tall rugged mountains and smooth clear lakes, it’s like a rolling post card. Riding in this type of landscape with my 60+ year old parents is surreal. We get on each other nerves sometimes, get tired of the pace that is set, and disagree on what type of food we should eat. We never really voice the disagreements but it adds tension at times. These moments pass as quickly as the lines in the road and only lets us know that we are a typical family and are having a great time with each other, as only a strong family could do. What lingers in the back of my mind is how awesome it will be when my kids are riding with me, and my parents in the lead. That will be three generations of Ogdens rolling down the road enjoying motorcycling as it should be. This has always been a strong tie for us.

Once we get to Idaho falls the cool weather is beginning to fade and the landscape flattens as we head out toward Arco and cross by the moon rocks. Just at the Idaho Falls city limits common problem #2 takes place as Dad’s hill toe shift comes loose and stops his ability to down shift for the traffic light. Off to the side of the road again.

We are heading toward Happy-trails and the V-strom event that will be taking place this weekend at Happy Trails. The weekend will be spent with old friends and new discussing the finer point of motorcycling.

We have made it to Happy-Trail and the event, upon arriving we get a free bike wash. Tim and Jason take care of us and do a complete wash job on the bikes. Thanks guys…what’s that…yea it’s a Harley…its called a sportster endure…yea I built it myself. This is the normal conversation at gas stations and dealer ships alike.

I have an appointment set up at High Desert Harley to get a small leak fixed. The high pressure oil line is seeping some, about 3-4 drops over night. So I had called in a week earlier to make sure the parts are in and they had time to get to me. When I arrived this big burly Harley mechanic came out and in a deep voice said “Hey your on ADV aren’t you?” He has been following my build thread. It was great to have the bike in a dealership where someone was familiar with my bike build. This ADV group is pretty far reaching. They did a great job with the bike and I am now leak free going north. 

Next on the agenda was to fab up some way to work on the bike on the trail. I have no way to get the back tire off the ground and my sorry kick stand wouldn’t hold if the bike is leaned on it with full weight. I had an idea of what I wanted to do and Jason had some additional thoughts on the matter as well. What came out of Happy-trails fab shop is cool and works well to keep me going in case of flats.

I told dad he couldn’t zip up that jacket, it’s a small and he’s got a gut. Like a good father does he said o yea watch this. He put the jacket on and had too large a gap to close it up. So he took it off and zipped it up. The with this smart eleck voice he said “See I put in on , and zipped it up”

Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,641
Thumb

YeeeHaaa

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 07-16-2011 at 05:34 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #21
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Way go to Man/Woman....Inuvik, NWT...woooo..... Safe trip....subscribed...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #22
johnwesley OP
wanta be

In a conversation with Happy Trail shop owner Tim Bernard, we found out that he was interested in buying a 1150 GSA. So we struck up a deal and he is going to pick it up from the dealership. we don't have to worry with picking it up or trying to sell it. The V-strom group is an interesting pack, they are very efficient even when it comes to bathing.

Tim seemed to have some issues with people telling him how to run his business, He said "if you don't like how I run my shop then you can get out !!!!"

Klim showed up to support the event, and it was a hit. They had the new Badlands suit set up on display. It rocks If you would like to see it the best pic I have is of my dad being goofy above trying to zip up the only sample they had. I have one on preorder now and got out fitted with the Traverse suit and the newest D-30 armour. I am having a few small issues on this bike with the Roadcrafter and believe the transverse will fix the issues on this bike.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #23
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
a new bike, but not a new helmet or shield? OK, I'll shut up now
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #24
johnwesley OP
wanta be

new helmet, but it had to be ordered. its on the way
Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #25
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Happy-Trail wanted a interview about the bike and here are the results

Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #26
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Old 07-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #27
LoneRanger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Excellent and informative video. Thanks for including it.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #28
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Glad to see you're finally on the way, John. Will try to arrange some good weather for your time here, but no promises.

Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,479
Have i missed something here? mid trip as though on a whim you dump a seemingly good gsa for a new harley? was there particular reason for this minor travel detail? i am intrigued.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #30
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
Have i missed something here? mid trip as though on a whim you dump a seemingly good gsa for a new harley? was there particular reason for this minor travel detail? i am intrigued.
Here's the deal: my mom has been on the GSA for a few years because that was what my dad rode and what he wanted her to try and ride. We have spent a good bit of time and money on it trying to get it to fit her better, but she never did come to grips with it, really she didn't trust it. Now my mom has allways been a bit of an aggressive rider, but on the GS she was allways timid. She was going to quit riding altogether when my dad decided to try and find something she enjoyed riding. So for this trip he put her on his road king and she really liked it. All of a sudden she was keeping up and seemed to be havin fun. Deal is she's not getting my dads 100th anniversary RK. When we went it to get googles for her helmet dad saw the road glide and thought mom would love it. So after several miles she said it was her favorite bike ever and shes back to dragging pegs and keeping up. She is having a blast. So yea we did sale a gs and by a hd. Me and dad will buy any bike our wives will have fun riding. That's the most important thing and our favorite people to ride with. It is very awesome when me and my wife get to take a trip together, the best. She can ride any bike she likes