Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #31
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,610
Thumb Good Shit Pop's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Here's the deal: my mom has been on the GSA for a few years because that was what my dad rode and what he wanted her to try and ride. We have spent a good bit of time and money on it trying to get it to fit her better, but she never did come to grips with it, really she didn't trust it. Now my mom has allways been a bit of an aggressive rider, but on the GS she was allways timid. She was going to quit riding altogether when my dad decided to try and find something she enjoyed riding. So for this trip he put her on his road king and she really liked it. All of a sudden she was keeping up and seemed to be havin fun. Deal is she's not getting my dads 100th anniversary RK. When we went it to get googles for her helmet dad saw the road glide and thought mom would love it. So after several miles she said it was her favorite bike ever and shes back to dragging pegs and keeping up. She is having a blast. So yea we did sale a gs and by a hd. Me and dad will buy any bike our wives will have fun riding. That's the most important thing and our favorite people to ride with. It is very awesome when me and my wife get to take a trip together, the best. She can ride any bike she likes
That's fricken GREAT!!! GO Mrs. Ogden GO
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #32
pikipiki
next!

Oddometer: 65
Great read. thumbs up to moms and pops. Son gets points too for spending some good quality time with them.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #33
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,524
Monday the 18th I leave out for Moses Lake. In the group ride we have Tim, Ken, Eric and I. Eric has lived in Nicaragua for 15 years as a missionary. I have spent some time down there with him riding dual sport bikes. He is a good rider and a good friend. Tim is also a friend and owner of Happy-trail.com and that leaves Ken who has accomplished many rides, like the TAT, CD, and Alaska trips all on his DRZ 400. He is also a good rider and friend. So this group is a nice fun seasoned group of riders who like each other’s company and have nothing to prove it should make for a nice two day trip. Tim has us routed through Hells Canyon on the dirt with a early departure so we can beat the heat.

Tim and Eric take the lead

Tim’s trusty 690r KTM

Coming out at the bottom of Hells Canyon

The fuel stop is at Scotty’s where Tim finds a family looking the KTM over and in a way that is uniquely Tim he gets the kid interested in the bikes and makes his day. I’m sure the boy will never forget that goofy man who put him on the BIG dirt bike.

During our break Tim breaks out some super special drink that is what Jonah Street uses to stay hydrated, after a few swigs he is out talking to bikers as they roll in and the rest of us suit up for the ride up and out of Hells Canyon. He takes note and follows suit and leads us out of the canyon. This time I am running sweep so I can get a few pics of the scenery. I get involved in looking around and didn’t notice that the group had stopped and made a turn waiting on me. So I slide past them with the brakes locked up, all eyes on me as I come to a sliding stop and Tim takes off to show the way. As I turn around and head up the hill I noticed that Eric had stopped and was standing in the ditch, then I saw Tim’s bike laying there. I was instantly concerned as Eric wasn’t getting the bike up, but was standing over Tim as he lay lifeless in the ditch. He was out cold and we were concerned as Blood was running off of his face. After a few moments he started to come around and was able to answer a few questions, he was at least alive and able to move some. These crashes are scary things, we people don’t get up or move for a bit.

At the bottom of the canyon the satellite phone doesn’t even work so ken goes back to Scotty’s to call for help. Eric and I help him get cleaned up and I break out the Kermit chair for him to relax in. The impact was so hard that Tim’s check was bruised and cut. That was where all the blood came from. When we got the bike up and noticed what was wrong the force of the crash had sheared the main handle bar clamp mounting bolt. So a grade 10.9 10mm bolt was sheared clean off. We are blessed that He wasn’t hurt worse with that kind of impact. We have all agreed that it is best for him to go back and be checked out by a doctor and make sure all is well. After what seems like over and hour an old dodge power wagon come flying over the hill and then locks the breaks up and turns in beside us, What’s this crazy redneck doing? That’s Ken driving, where did he get the truck?

He tells the story of how the lady at the store insisted that he take the truck and help, but Ken would have no part in it. Then she picked up the phone and hit redial, told the guy that answered the phone to just pick Tim up at the store. Ken was shocked at that and then she firmly told him to take the truck and bring Tim back to the store. Yes ma’am was the proper answer and that is what happened. So after Tim was back to safety Eric and I headed out to the stop for the night.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #34
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Damn...

Sooo I'm assuming Tims alright now John...And back with the group?
Good riding area to eh. Hopefullt Tims enjoying it again!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Our night’s rest will be at the Ponderosa Motel in Enterprise. The rest of the trip is beautiful with a awesome, narrow paved FS road that is full of tight corners and no shoulders. My kind of riding, it was a blast to ride and gave the sport its first hard run with slamming gears and high rpms. This thing flat pulls when coming out of corners and makes a melody from the exhaust that amplifies the rhythm of the road, a great combination of riding. Even with all of this fun my thoughts are drawn back to Tim and how he is doing, its just something that we’ll have to wait to hear on.

The scene we have as we head toward Enterprise, and our good night’s rest

Once we check in to the Motel, it’s time to eat something we have not done today. We find a small Mexican restaurant which is recommended by the Hotel, El bajio. I knew we were in the right place when the greater spoke Spanish to us as we walked in. Much to his surprise Eric spoke back to him fluently. So now it is like I am in Nicaragua again and I have to order through Eric.  The salsa was fresh homemade stuff that hit the spot. I ordered up Enchilada Verde, which came with a fried egg on top. The smell and taste took me back to last year’s trip to Mexico. A flood of memories swept through my mind as I worked my way through the Authentic Mexican food.
As we prepare to leave we get a phone call from Tim, he had been in the hospital a while and the test have come back that he has a fracture on the c6 vertebra, which is the big vertebrae at the base of the neck. He has to wear a neck brace and they will x-ray it every two weeks. Even a minor shock could make it unstable and would be looking at paralysis. So while not life threatening it is serious. We head out today not knowing what it holds. Tim is no longer with us and we are following his route, some of which he has not traveled. It turns out to be a great ride, better than Hells Canyon for me. My first stop is at Josephs Canyon (warning: photo overload below)

johnwesley screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 02:39 PM
Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #36
johnwesley OP
wanta be

I just updated the front page with a link to my spot device here it is for those who are following along

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qyqVcbyLafnQDfueRBTqR9uKOkPqZq e1

shouldn't be long and the wind noise will be gone and music will be the back ground

johnwesley screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 04:27 PM
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #37
johnwesley OP
wanta be

here is the proposed route, subject to change depending on how we feel at the time.

We will be leaving Moses Lake on Sunday when Rich gets in
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #38
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

MAAAN I'm tempted to drop everything and ride back out there!!!
Making me drooool John
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #39
johnwesley OP
wanta be

thanks Jim it would be great to have you with us
Old 07-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #40
n4cpu
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great RR John. Wish I was with you. It's hard to imagine how the trip could get better than what you enjoyed in the early part with your mom and dad! Love the photos!
n4cpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #41
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Thumb

thanks, it is always great to spend time with the folks on a bike trip.

Rich left his house today with an over loaded klr but aren't they all His wife Sherry was kind enough to text me a photo.

Rich and I have been friends for over 10 yrs now, we normally see each other about twice a year and the bond of friendship stays strong. He is a die hard Harley guy and has been for as long as I have known him. The hardest thing for him is leaving his wife for this trip, and if I know Sherry she kicked him out the door and told him to have a blast. She rides her own bike and is a true Harley chick

That pic was taken on our Guatemala trip earlier this year, Sherry got her first dual sport ride there. I think she liked it ok

So Rich should be here Saturday afternoon. That is if he can get along with his jap bike
Old 07-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #42
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,906
Awesome RR so far man!! Sorry to hear about Tim but he seems like a tough dude and kind one as well...I am sure that some positive energy is headed his way. I am really diggin this trip for a ton of reasons. One of which is getting to see a modern rendition of the Sportster's heritage (people forget that they were one of the first dual sport bikes) doing what it should be doing....Bringing a smile to someones face as they experience this great country of ours. Thanks for taking us along man.

Dave
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #43
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 620
.....great report and I like your bike.
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #44
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
Enjoying your report John.

Be safe and have a blast! Hope to see you again soon....

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #45
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,499
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote