Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #91
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
It's an HD not a KLR.
thats a good one and you will find out why later, we came across this friendly fellow 10 miles north of the arctic circle

more later gotta go, I'm stuck doing some work and have meetings. That the prob when your work is not confined to an office
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #92
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,475
Johnny yer back!!

Nooo that's the Goood thing about not being confined in an office...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #93
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 325
I'd like a job where my office comes with me. Must work on that .

Great report, enjoying the write up. Cheers.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 AM   #94
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
thats a good one and you will find out why later, we came across this friendly fellow 10 miles north of the arctic circle
more later gotta go, I'm stuck doing some work and have meetings. That the prob when your work is not confined to an office
Those brown bears just don't look right when they aren't wearing their straw hats and playing their banjos (think Country Bear Jamboree).
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #95
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Richards clutch starts to slip some. We hope it stays together but begin to wonder if we should find a shop and have a new one put in or at least this one looked at. The idea of stripping it down at a camp site has also crossed our minds. The bike is low mileage so may just be varnished plates, not sure what’s up with it but just for good measure we buy some motorcycle specific oil. He had been running 20w50 castor oil, which I use to run in all my bikes before switching to Mobil one. Hope this fixes the issue…or at least helps
I have read many times that we have to stop at Tim Horton’s and eat. My uncle’s name is Tim Horton as well so I figure we’ll get this out of the way early. I’m not much on chain food and if I have to do it, better now while we are still close to modern towns. Basically it a 5 star Mc Donalds, Canadians love it

Most will probably disagree with that, but it’s ok. I stand by my observation.
The Harley really likes good gas and it is not easy to find. This is the only gas stop I have been able to treat the sporty to some nice fuel

The father north we go the more “A” gets used as a transition of thought, some more than others. It is not as common as I had assumed or I am just in the wrong part of Candida. This doesn’t stop Rich from talking with everyone and everything we come across. He makes friends everywhere we go. I am sure there are several stop signs he is on a first name basis with . He is getting familiar with some of the KLR quirks as well, for instant the KLR doesn’t get good mileage, gas or oil, when pushed hard. He consistently uses about a gallon more fuel than I do and about a quart more oil

We get stopped for road construction and this guy comes over to Richard, yep you guessed it instant buds.

You sure have a small motor?

As we get deeper in to our trip the Animals begin to come out in sight, and we feel like the adventure is beginning.

A little food for thought

I thing fishing must be enjoyed here

They have easy to understand signage here too

We stop for the night in New Hazelton at a Robbers roost motel. The place is run by a nice duchess…well she’s Dutch anyway. We meet a group of international riders who meet on some forum and decided to rent bikes and do some adventure riding together. Good group of people
We are now 20 miles before the Cassiar HWY
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #96
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Thumb

Today starts the Cassiar HWY. This road use to be all paved and is the alternate route to the Alcan. Out intentions are to do both. This road sets us off on a nice ride with the opportunity to see more wildlife, and marks the beginning of the bears. We must see a dozen of them on this route.

Good thing we’re packing bear spay these bears are viscous. Massive animals of prey just waiting to tear us limb from limb. Just look at the size of that ting he must stand 8ft tall

These wooden bridges can be slick when wet.

We are on a bit of a time table, neither of us have much vacation time and both have obligations’ back home. So we have more things we want to do then we have time to do them. We have prioritized things so that we can make the big points we want to make. Problem is that this early in the trip we do not know how much spare time we have to do side trips. We come up to the intersection and see a sign that point to Hyder, Ak. We haven’t talked about this stop so At the intersection I asked Rich if he want to do it? He shrugged and asked what I thought. Well we will never be this close again, I said and with that we made the run to Hyder.

I am glad we did too, this is a great road. The clouds are hanging low and cover the mountain peaks, giving the mystical appearance to the wilderness. I fell like a kid at Disney land, the place is so surreal with the way the mist and clouds blanket around us. Rich agrees this is a must do ride.

This is the first border crossing in to Alaska. It is a small quaint town with dirt roads and few buildings. It has a very rustic feel to it with friendly people and a few visitors. This is a place I would like to come back to and spend a few days just disconnecting from life.

We decide to stop and take in a coffee and just soak in some of the atmosphere. The Glacier Inn is just the place too. The lady working is serving tables and taking care of her kid, a real family feeling. The walls are lined with over 20,000 dollar bills.

On the way in there is no border guard, but on the way back in to Canada there is a check station. Why I’m not sure but you get the normal run of questions and then pass through. There seems to be some strange attraction to these parts with grated bridges. My bike track straight and true over them, but the thought of what would happen if you crashed is not a comforting one.

It doesn’t take long before the bears start coming out again and this time it’s a momma bear. I apologize for not getting the camera out quicker, but when I drove up she was just getting her cub to climb the tree, must have been the Harley exhaust note

The road is mostly paved and I would say about 10-15 miles are still gravel, but in great shape. So far this trip would be easy to do on any bike that you choose. It would be fun, safe and rewarding. The night finds us camping at Watson Lake. Home of the Sign forest, where a home sick military put a sign from his home town up and it caught on.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #97
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Yeeaaah!

Glad to see your travels! Aaaah I can feel the place from here... Can't wait to see the Campbell hwy pics
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #98
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Keep 'em comin'!!!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #99
johnwesley OP
wanta be

We get up knowing that we have to change tire to get ready for the big gravel ahead of us. Richard and I both have tires to install. He is switching to D606 and I am trying the K60 Scout. During the change an Officer pulled up and asked if this was John and Richard. I walked over and said, “Yes, but we paid for the site.” He had got a call in about two people needing parts and the coordinates put him at the camp ground. It took a bit of thinking since it was still morning, but I finally figured out it must have been my spot that sent it out. Odd I never pushed any buttons. I guess I should explain a little ritual I have at night. I always put the important stuff in my boots. Items like keys, phone, gps, spot and the like. My problem is I do not function well in the morning and basically just run on auto pilot. With the stuff in the boots I cannot get ready until I deal with them. It would be awful to get packed up ready to leave and find out you do not have your keys, then after looking everywhere for them find out you left them in the tent. So everything goes in the boots. Now somehow the GPS and spot got in a fight and I assume that the spot was taking the brunt of it and called for help. The big issue is it would not stop sending the help signal out so out comes the manual, the fix is to just turn it off and back on. Simple enough, but it would not turn off, out comes the batteries. Good that fixed it and it is off, but now I cannot get it back on. Long story short my wife had to have one, said she would feel better about me being so far away. I agreed and then when I got to happy-trail they had one laid out with my name on it. What? I haven’t ordered it yet, they said my mom bought it for me. The women in my life are something. I really didn’t want it, just a hassle to carry and I was scared I’d hit the 911 button on accident and helicopters would ascend on me and cause me to wreck. People have been going to AK for years without a spot, and some have died. Truth is some have died making the trip with a spot difference is the ones with a spot have died in a heli and passed the cost on to the living. Yea I know it has saved some too and so is life you take your chances and see how the chips fall. Any way enough about personal locators back to the story.
We get the tires changed and head out after breakfast at about 11am. The Campbell is up today and it is almost all gravel roads, at times down to just 2 track sections and almost no traffic maybe 4 vehicles. This is a lonely road and one you’d hope to not need help on. You’d feel bad if ya did and your spot was in the trunk not working. Good thing I’m on a Sportster.

Bugs, yea there were a few, I was running with the wind shield down and came through a swarm. Reminded me of the scene in Wild Hogs

Yep Rich that is the way we are going and yes we are going to get wet AGAIN. It did rain on and off most of the trip. The gear worked very well though and I stayed dried. I guess this is a good time to say that while at Happy-trail.com I decided I would rather have a two piece suit for this trip and leave the roadcrafter with the wife. I have the darien set up too but hate the paints, they have never been water proof for me. The also do not fit well, the best thing I can say is that they are easy to get off. So with that said I picked up a Klim outfit to try out, while not perfect they have worked well and kept me dry.

For road food we had Peanut butter burritos complements of Richard. Now I am not sure he knew how much I like peanut butter. But it is on top of the list for me. On these roads it’s not like you get hungry and look for a restaurant, if you don’t bring food then you’ll just eat one meal a day if you’re lucky. We have stayed at places with no food. Here you come prepared or suffer. I had protein bars and a 3liter Camel back. I mainly ate Rich’s food, that way I would always have enough if he ran out

The mosquitoes were horrid in spots, and I had to wear a net just to be able to eat in peace

I see a side road and need to use Mother Nature so we take the slick black clay trail that leads down to a river. It was easy going downhill, even if you drop it you’d slide to the end. When we got to the bottom it must have been someone’s boat dock of sorts. There were some long boat in the water and one in need of repair. I could tell it was someone’s fishing hole and hope they did not find us down here. In this place if you’re dead you’re only going on the missing poster because no one will find you. Richard had more fun going up the trail then he should have. He was all over the road and on the verge of crashing all the way up. He managed to hold it together till he got to the top. Over weight klr is light on the front and downright traction less when going up steep slick trails. When I got to the road again all I could hear was Rich laughing in his helmet. I guess that is what you call laughing in the face of death.

The first gas stop on this route is Ross River at 373 km out. You’ll need to turn off of the Campbell to run up to Ross. They have gas 24/7 if everything is working. The station was closed so if we had needed supplies liked food, drink or whatever we would be out of luck. Again you should bring what you need, Rich being a hunter had plenty of beef jerky for himself and a few days’ supply for both of us. I eat a lot ask Rich. The road going into Ross was wet and the slickest stuff we had experienced had use down to 30ish miles an hour and sliding all over. I’m glad we had good tires! Once we get into town or community as it had nothing much in it. The Fuel station has its tank above ground and a little room to one end where you slide the card and tell it which pump. Interesting set up to say the least

I decided to give Rich a ride on a “real” motorcycle

We had intended to stay at the junction of the Campbell and Klondike HWY, but I found a short cut around the lake and it saved us 17 miles, plus put us on some nice gravel road around the lake with nice curves and elevation changes. I figured most that run this do not take the lake road so I wanted to run it and see what it was like. After all we could run up and get the next camp ground and gas stop and just be a few miles farther down the road. We checked with the 2009 milepost and all was good. So we pressed on.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #100
johnwesley OP
wanta be

The lake road was a great treat after the long straight roads we have been on, gives a chance to play a little and enjoy the curves and the enclosed roads, not so open here. We eventually come out on the Klondike HWY and are back to running pavement. We get to our stop and the gas station is closed with no camping I guess we should have got the updated milepost. Well the next stop is just and an hour or so up the road, but now it is raining pretty good and its dark. We roll in about 1am and look for the camping and noda thing just a big piece of plywood that says closed looks like they may be starting a junk yard. The 24hr gas pumps are closed because the card readers are broken and Rich has to get gas here. So we are stuck, and emotions are high. We pull out a tarp and hang it from a sign on one end and a table on the other. It gives shelter from the pouring rain. I go to set up a tent in the rest area with a sign that says no camping, but Rich convinces me that it’s not a good idea, just in case a cop comes by. Being after 1am cold and wet I am not thinking well and listen to him. After setting up my Kermit chair I spend the night in it under the tarp. In the morning with a little better thought I decided I was mad at Rich and told him so. He wants to know why. So I tell him I have not seen a cop since Watson lake and wondered what one would be doing out here in the middle of the night bugging a guy sleeping in a tent? I should have set it up any way and let rich sleep in a chair! Next time I will stand my ground. So this is our night together under the tarp Wild Hogs scene #2

Yes the mosquitoes were out in force and this was about 3:30 when we decided to make some coffee. Yea I know we aint the smartest guys.

Good morning Richard I hate you
Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #101
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Laugh AAAAAAAAAAAHHH $hit....

Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaahahaha...cough, spit, choke
Yup that's some Fuuunny shit there...Thanx
Sounds like Rich was worry'n a leeetle too much eh...It's late into the night, raining aand you can't move on because ya need GAS! Who's to give a crap... well live and learn.
Ok I'm back to serious now, when we were in Ross River last August the pumps weren't working (kinda like the pumps where you are now) soo we camped down on the river, not too buggy though...
I really liked that section for some reason, great stuff keep it com'n.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 11:38 AM
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #102
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hallaluja

YOU GUYS ARE HAVING A BLAST, MAKES ME JEALOUS
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #103
CanadaCarrie
Excited Rookie!

Oddometer: 34
I am in! On a side note for when you come back through Canada. Try "eh?". I works better than "A" Tee Hee
CanadaCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #104
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Hello anybody out there.....

Old 08-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #105
johnwesley OP
wanta be

sorry dude, i now know why I haven't taken a vacation in 8 yrs. It's to much work to catch up with. on top of that the internet has by SSsssssssllllllloooooooooowwww

I'm working on it bu the pics are hard to pull up while the net is acting up