User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Jlsa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Givi vs. SW-Motech Crash/Engine Guards

New to the forum, just traded my KLR650 for a 2005 "Wee Strom" - DL650. I have read many post here and your insight and comments have helped me make, (I believe), a great choice for my next bike.

With that said, of course I'm now looking for accesories, the first of which will be an Engine guard. Would anyone care to voice their opinion of the Givi TN532 vs. SW-Motech. At first glance to me it would appear that the Givi gives more protection (engine and side panels) but may not look as good. Thoughts?

BTW, I did look for this topic before posting, couldn't find anything.
Jlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
rapidrider
rapidrider

Oddometer: 224
If you go with Motech you are half way to a secure mounting point for the front of the Motech bash plate. It uses the crash bar connector. With the Givi I don't know where you'd find a bash plate. There are many references to after maket stuff for both Stoms. Good source for Vstrom stuff is twistedthrottle.com

Several Yahoo groups cover the Vstrom. Also do A Google search under Vstrom for more. There's a bunch of other sites.

Can also suggest Happy Trails aluminum panniers. I like them.

Hope this gets you started. It's fun to setup a new bike isn't it!

Ken"rapidrider"

rapidrider screwed with this post 03-01-2005 at 09:03 PM
rapidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Jlsa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good point about the SW-Motech bash plate. If nessesary, I do have the facilities to fabricate a bash plate to go with the Givi bars if I went that way. I guess my main concern is if the bike (and I) go down when off-road, will the SW-Motech bars protect the fairing at all? I haven't seen them in person and it's hard to tell how they would protect just from pictures.

I really like dealing with Happy Trails. I picked up quite a few accessories from them for my KLR.

and... you bet your a$$ its fun!

Jlsa screwed with this post 03-01-2005 at 09:31 PM
Old 03-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=101179035453

There are other threads that address the different options. I did read one thread where someone had fabricated a mount for the sw skid plate to work with the givi bars. I also have seen quite a few complaints about the givi's and vibrations. Peter who is a mod I think posted a thread explaining his experiment with the Hepco bars and a fabrication for the sw skid plate that didn't work out for him. I hope someone will eventually work out a way to get the h&b to work with the sw skid b/c I think that would be the best protection one could get...

p.s. Welcome to the Asylum Jlsa
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Stromboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsa
Good point about the SW-Motech bash plate. If nessesary, I do have the facilities to fabricate a bash plate to go with the Givi bars if I went that way. I guess my main concern is if the bike (and I) go down when off-road, will the SW-Motech bars protect the fairing at all? I haven't seen them in person and it's hard to tell how they would protect just from pictures.

I really like dealing with Happy Trails. I picked up quite a few accessories from them for my KLR.

and... you bet your a$$ its fun!
My brother went down in a bad water crossing in NM last summer w/ the Motech crash bars. Got some scratches on the plastic above the crash bars. I don't think the result would have been any different w/ the Givis. The Motech bars did save his radiator from damage. We both have the Motech bars & bash plates on our DL 1000s.

Randy
Stromboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,279
I'm pleased with my Motech crashbars and skidplate. No vibrations, I think maybe some folks who have vibration problems (with whatever brand) may not be shimming the upper engine through mounting bolt correctly and/or not torqueing the bolt properly.

Motech's work great as a lower mounting point for tank panniers too! The panniers keep a LOT of wind/cold off the knees and lower legs. Coupled with my large Cee Bailey's and handguards I have pretty good weather protection.
Hope you enjoy your bike.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
Two answers:
1. Do any of you know of a Frame Slider that would work OK in addition to the Motech Crash Bars

2. I read [TOO much] every forum and fragment I can find on the emerging crowd of V-Strom owners/riders and by far the dominant choice is Mo-Tech. I don't really hear any complaints other than the questions about "is the bash plate manly enough" and the question about laying down the bike.

SOOOO.... lets do some out of box thinking. For CERTAIN the addition of the Mo-Tech Bars and bash Plate gives a great foundation on which to build. So if additional beef is needed for your particular needs, it is a simple matter to weld or bolt ONTO the SWMT plate another round of stout aluminum or Stainless sheet/stock. Any good metal/welding shop can add this very cheaply. ALSO, there are Plenty of good highway pegs on the market, many of which are essentially rigid. Why not just clamp on a set of highway pegs on the upper part of the sides of the Motech Bars? Low cost, and would give decent standoff protection in the event you ever need. Very cheap. Or, just buy the adapters and then make your own standoff to attach to the brackets.

Zapp
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
J-Dash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Well, I can definatley vouch for the Givi crash guards! My 2004 V Strom 1000 and I were t-boned from the side by a Chevy Malibu doing 70mph! Knocked the piss out of my bike and myself (2 breaks in collar bone, dis-located shoulder and rotated spine). The bike actually faired very well...in fact a friend of mine road it for me back to the shop I work at which is 30 miles away! Said he couldn't hardly tell anything had happened to the bike (handling wise).

Anyways, the Givi's protected my bike beyond my belief. All the turn signals, mirrors, bar ends and shrouds were there and everything but the shrouds were practically un-touched. The left shroud (side she hit me on) just showed a few stress points around the bolts. However, both engine guards were fully in tact and still 2 inches away from the shrouds. Again, I was hit on the left side, and then it was slammed over on the right side...AND HAAARD!

I can give you my 100% recommendation for the Givi's, as I have battle tested them now .

I'm now on a 2005 V Strom 1000 and I ordered up some more Givi crash guards the second I took delivery of the bike!

PS: I never mentioned I've dropped both bikes in the driveway a few times which yielded NO damage to any part of the body. Just a couple scratches on the pegs and bar ends.

J-Dash
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
J-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
minnjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
V-Strom crash bars

Check out www.patwalshdesigns.com
Crashbars/skidplate combo.
Also, a handy gps/radar detector mount, that helps shade the instrument panel.
minnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
Jlsa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I tell you, this group is great. From your posts I have pulled up some very useful information about engine guards and other options, sliders etc.

The one thing I wanted to read before deciding which ones to go with was the posts about vibration of the Givi guards. I have seen some of these before, but can't find them again. Isn't that always the way. Does anyone have the links to the Givi virbration issue. Seems to me it was solved but I can't remember how.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #11
J-Dash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
I tell you, this group is great. From your posts I have pulled up some very useful information about engine guards and other options, sliders etc.

The one thing I wanted to read before deciding which ones to go with was the posts about vibration of the Givi guards. I have seen some of these before, but can't find them again. Isn't that always the way. Does anyone have the links to the Givi virbration issue. Seems to me it was solved but I can't remember how.
Like I posted earlier, I'm on my second set of Givi's and neither set has had a single vibration issue or any other issue. Zero complaints and problems from me. Plus, in my opinion, they are the best looking ones

J-Dash
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
J-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #12
yebogiant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wow, those Pat Walsh crash bars are nice, i've never come across them before. Does anyone have any pics of them mounted up? They have a few on their website, but they are pretty close up
yebogiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #13
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=10...h=givi%2Ccrash

From what I recall the givi's were fixed by washers and the appropriate torque. Some posts however stated that individuals did not have luck with eliminating the vibrations. It's a tough call because like Peter points out it is a matter of convienance versus safety. The motec is the most convienent to install and do maintenance but the Hepco or Givi if one can fabricate mount adapters for Motec skid plate would be safer but possible less easy to do maintenance.
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #14
rapidrider
rapidrider

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Does anyone have the links to the Givi virbration issue. Seems to me it was solved but I can't remember how.
Try this...http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=10...vi%2Cvibration

Ken
rapidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9PpwD2tok

I love the SW Motec bars. Have been using them on several bikes for the last 2 decades and 450.000 km...

They are both good, but the vid embedded above, explains it very fine.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote