Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #91
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus-3in1 View Post
That is a Great Shot ... Don't know what it is exactly about it ... but it really represents well ... what we do and why we do it

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks,

That was a great night. There is something really sweet about just going out into the forest and camping, much better than organized camp sites.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #92
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,121
how did that horse lady not come up over beer in Paonia??

lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #93
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Good Question

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #94
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

I was most likely focusing on my beer.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #95
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
I was most likely focusing on my beer.
Fair enough.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #96
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Day 11 27 Jul 11

We awake in by far the finest hotel room we have been in on this trip, this place was nice, complete with a flat screen TV, puffy feather comforters, and a little triangle folded on the end of the roll of toilet paper, we had a rough day so Kevin splurged.

You know, nice hotels are a pain in the ass on a bike trip because you have to lug all your dirty crap through the lobby, into the elevator, and up to the room, instead of just tossing it in through the motel door. Also you canít sit in the parking lot in a resin chair and drink beer, the tourists in their minivans look at you funny. Well, the women and children look at you funny, but the men just smile and wish they were along instead of hauling the family off to visit his wifeís sister or whoever hell.

Anyway, back to the bike.

We hit the continental breakfast pretty hard and discuss the bike. Based on the symptoms and the probability of two batteries going bad being very slim, we decide to look over all the pertinent wiring one more time to see if anything is broken, or has vibrated apart that we can see.

So we go out to the parking lot, and pull the bike apart, check things over, and there is nothing physical wrong with the bike that either of us can see. Kevin figures at this point he has two options, a rental truck, or finding a repair shop that can fix the bike.

It is Wednesday morning and I want to be in Paonia CO Thursday, so I need to boogie. While Kevin is putting his bike back together and consulting the yellow pages I swap my 14T front sprocket out for my 15T and pack up the bike. I plot a course for CO and head out leaving Kevin and his broke Suzuki in the hotel parking lot.

I have to tell you, it was pretty freaking sad.

Over it.

I follow the super slab for a few miles south, then get on US 30 through Soda Springs and Cokeville, these people like their soft drinks. I ride for about 2.5 hours and I figure Kevin might have some news so I pull off to give him a call.

My bike is here

And his bike is here

Pocatello Power Sports.

No, he didnít trade it for a new KTM.

The report Kevin gave me over the phone is this guy here

dug into the bike and confirmed one thing for sure, the new battery was broken internally. WTF, that battery only had a couple dirt roads on it.

He also confirmed that Kevinís stator is out of spec, and is smelled like it had gotten hot. I can appreciate this, smell and taste are important senses when it comes to working on motorcycles, or grilling chicken. I am sure he ohmed it out but the sniff test is often very useful.

Will running with an open battery cause a stator to go bad?

Anyway, Kevin opted to have them order a new stator, which they said they could have the next day, and have them fix that as well as put in a new battery so he could ride it home. This cost much less than the $1000 rental truck, and he would still have a broke bike when he got home.

So that was that, Kevin was in a comfy hotel with a bar next door, and his bike was in the caring hands of Pocatello Power Sports, so I was no longer worried about my friend and could ride the rest of the way to CO.

In Diamondvill I pick up 412 south through Carter.

Carter is a cute little town.

I left my mark here.

South of Fort Bridger the road turned into 414 and continued southeast to Manilia. I crossed into Utah and it became 44 which I took over to US 191. In that section I saw some windmills

And rode on some sweet roads.

US191 south to US40 east to CO64 east to CO139 south means it is getting late in the day, and all I have to show for it is this pic.

2011 North up the CDR

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 12:07 AM
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #97
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Just north of I-70 west of Grand Junction I gas up and look at the map hoping to find a good place to camp. Grand Mesa pops out and I am on my way.

Cool stuff, Pay attention!

So I’m tooling down I-70 and some dude on a bike rolls up beside me. It is pretty freaking cool, it is a bike I have never seen before but read about, a Motus, and it sounds sweet. So I smile and give him thumbs up and he rides off, then another one comes up. I think of my helmet cam in the tank bag so I motion to the guys by pointing at the bracket on my helmet and I throw my blinker on. I pull off, dig out the go-pro, fire it up and caught up with them. This is what I got.

They were both pretty cool guys. They had been out at the salt flats doing some testing, and were out gathering data, and had to be in Denver that night. While we were talking a guy in a truck caught up with them and they loaded up. I had to get going as it was getting dark, and I hate setting up camp in the dark.

Up into the twisties and cool night air, I stop and put the clear lens in my goggles, and really appreciate my new headlight, this is the first time I have really used it since the upgrade last winter.

I arrive at camp, dump my crap at an open site, and go back to figure out how to pay. The nice older couple tending the place tell me they will come see me in the morning, and sell me some firewood.

I bought a couple beers off the folks camping across the way. I pitch my tent trying not to be too disturbing to the other campers, then quietly enjoy my fire and canned Budweiser.

A long day but a good one, it feels odd being alone.

Today’s route.

2011 North up the CDR

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 12:10 AM
Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #98
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

thanks for the update

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #99
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Day 12 28 Jul 11

Today was a short day, not much to report.

It was a beautiful morning up on Grand Mesa.

I boiled some water for coffee and oatmeal.

Breakfast was a little lonely without Kevin, but then this little guy came along to have breakfast with me.

He was pretty used to people.

After breakfast I packed up and my chipmunk buddy scurried off into the woods.

I rode down the mountain and over to Paonia, I arrived at the same time my brother and nephew did. Some other friends were already there, so we made camp, registered, and had a few cold beers.

This has by far been the most relaxed day of the trip.

I got a call from Kevin, He got his bike back very late in the day with a new battery and stator, he was blasting across Utah at an impressive rate. He spent the night in Provo Utah.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #100
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Really enjoying the trip report,

Here is a great way for you to start your bike...;) (well, maybe a great way, I guess better than a tow strap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIUO2yS3VA

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #101
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Day 13 29 Jul 11

Oh, what an easy day this was. I went out riding with my brother (wswartzwel), nephew, friend from Arizona (lightfighter), and a couple other internet friends from the BMW forum.

Honestly, I don’t remember the route we took, but here are a few pics.

From left to right.

Can’t remember
Lightfighter
Bikerfish
Ckcarr
Wswarzwl
Nephew
me

View from HWY 92 through Black Canyon

Lunch somewhere, I do remember it was good.

And that is about it. Back to the rally, get cleaned up, and drink lots of beers and listen to the music.

Since this post was so lame, please forgive me and enjoy this video of my son shooting his RC tank at a balloon.

2011 North up the CDR

Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #102
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
A page in I realized I had read your report already, i said screw it and read it all again. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #103
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

You need to teach your son to be aware of what is down range... If he hit the gas tank on the thunderbird.... Well you have seen the movies... ;)

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #104
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post
A page in I realized I had read your report already, i said screw it and read it all again. Thanks for sharing.

Wohoo, an unsolicited testimonial!!

Thanks for reading...twice!
2011 North up the CDR

Old 12-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #105
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Day 14, 30 Jul 11

The rally has been fun, good musc, good beer, good to see folks I only see once a year, but it is time to head for home. My brother, nephew, and their friend Jerry from AR need to ride south and east and Lightfighter and I need to ride south and west. We decide to ride together for a while and enjoy some more of Colorado, before the trip turns into the burn home mode, and is no longer a vacation. The plan is to head east over to a portion of the CDR and go south on that, finding someplace to camp that night in southern CO or northern NM.
We say goodbye to our friends at the rally, pack up and head out. Most of the roads close to Paonia are pretty familiar to all of us as we regularly attend this rally so we didnít make a lot of picture stops. We do head over to the town of tin cup, which is interesting. We talked to a local who said the pass was pretty torn up from ATVs, and none of us were really in the mood to be picking our bikes up, so we skipped tin cup pass.

Here is a shot of the Tin Cup courthouse.

From there we rode up through Cumberland Pass, the road is in excellent condition.

As we ride we encounter bad weather which pushes us east. It is getting late in the day and I realize I am way too far east, being away from home as long as I have the realization that I might not make it home the next day before my son is in bed hits me. We pull off, look at the map, and decide to part ways, as camping this far from home would make tomorrow pretty long.

Lightfighter and I begin to burn east, heading for the Farmington area. We roll into the camp site at the Navajo Lake state park, east of Farmington just after dark, have a quick bite to eat, and head for the tents as it starts to rain.

Rural New Mexico, honestly Iím not sure where the hell this is.

2011 North up the CDR