Oddometer: 4,436
(bad french accent)

Is looking good.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #362
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Congratulations Ned!

I guess I have been slacking because I just found this thread and had to read the whole thing tonight.

The build is looking GREAT.

You can count me in for some support, I will be ordering up a bunch of swag for the whole family.
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

KTM SUPER ENDURO
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #363
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post

How bright for serious night riding at-speed, that Dakar often has, are the 3 x 3 small Rigid's as the only lights? I've heard a few postings that the beam falls-off fairly quickly in the distance compared to HID beams. Have not tried the LED Rigids myself, so am asking.

Seems like most Dakar riders still use HID too, but the LED lights sure look rugged!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #364
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Huge eureka moment struck
That's a veeery elegant solution for a nav tower! Congratulations!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #365
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,764
Longtime F5 team members are aware of a non-event every fall near Death Valley where Dakaristas get together and do some testing and training. Since my decision to go in June, I've been working toward the Death Valley non-Rally as a major milestone where I wanted to test a bike I felt was close to what I'd put in the crate. It's not an exaggeration to say that preparing for DVR has been a goal that dominated my thoughts daily for months. We were putting finishing touches on the bike up to the minute before we loaded last Wednesday night. When it went in the van, it was the best version we could make. So, we really hoped it would work.

Van full of fun:

C.Vestal behind the wheel- are we having fun yet?

Vegas, Baby Vegas:

In-N-Out and the Chrysler building in the same shot. Must not be NY.

The evening's luxurious accommodations. When we pulled in at ~10PM, it was still 100 degrees.

My goal for this test was two-fold. First, to evaluate the bike and especially suspension in the desert, which I can't really do at home, and second; to put a long day on the bike and thus locate whatever issues I need to address- whether they are ergonomic, functional, jetting, whatever.

Adding a couple of images I smugthugged from CV, just to give a sense of what the routes are like:

So, first thing Friday morning, before it got hot(ter), I started with suspension. My approach is to set up a loop and do back to back testing of different adjustments, which I have found quickly helps to set a direction. I started with ride height and spring rate, made easier by having multiple sets of suspension valved the same but with different springs, so that I could easily evaluate back to back.

A big thanks to Jeff at Slavens Racing for loaning me a variety of springs. No fun disassembling forks in a dustbowl.

That accomplished, the next goal was a romp in the dunes, just to see how the bike works in that unique environment. Well, as it turns out- it's easy to ride and while it got hot, so did I in the 110 degree reflector oven. The first setup issue revealed itself here- my fuel line routing wouldn't let me get to the bottom of the fuel tank. That's why I'm here, note made to be addressed tonight. Later in the afternoon, we did a short route on the ridge above camp, which was luxurious as it was at least 20 degrees cooler up there. Didn't get any pics.

Last thing was a quick spin in the dunes, Chris came and took a few pics.

I love the bike. All the other rally bikes I've ridden are a little special compared to a plain old dirtbike- heavier, wider, and require some care to avoid bottoming in technical situations. This isn't like that- it's a fast dirtbike with some wind protection. Love it!

Saturday was to be the big day- 500km. We started early and my goal was not to be fast, but to be efficient. I wanted to navigate feet up, keep mistakes to a minimum, and get a good feel for the bike.

Mission accomplished. The route was great fun, and the bike worked amazingly well. There were a couple of minor lessons learned, but by and large, my navigation was accurate, the bike was excellent, and I made it back to camp mid-afternoon feeling really good.

Dinner was gourmet and welcome, as anywhere that Bicycle Phil shows up...

Sunday was a low key day for me. We had an awesome storm blow in on Saturday night, so the desert was beautiful. I went on a short rip on the enduro bike, and then picked up C.Vestal from his loop. I didn't have anything else to test, so I figured riding was really just wearing stuff out at that point, not what I need to do on the actual racebike.

Into Vegas for a shower, put C.V on a plane, and drove to Durango. Now I'm in phase 2 of this trip- getting my butt kicked by an ex-pro.

A big thanks to Hogwild for making routes that are worthy training for world-level rally, GSNorCal and Bicycle Phil for pulling things together and feeding me like a king, and C.Vestal for being the best friend a guy could ask for.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.

neduro screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 07:30 PM
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #366
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,999
didja get a chance to see the lights?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #367
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,717

Now there's a front page photo.

Progress is good. Sounds like your plan is coming together Ned.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #368
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

I love the bike. All the other rally bikes I've ridden are a little special compared to a plain old dirtbike- heavier, wider, and require some care to avoid bottoming in technical situations. This isn't like that- it's a fast dirtbike with some wind protection. Love it!
It looks good too
ganshert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #369
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
didja get a chance to see the lights?
Yes, sorry, forgot that part. They are awesome. I had worried about high speed throw, for lack of a better word, and I'm impressed. I was tagging 70 on a twisty dirt road without feeling I was overdriving them in the slightest.

Also, they are incredibly visible to other people, even during the day. The support crew commented that they could see me from an amazing distance as I came toward them, much further than anyone else (except Chris, since he's running the same).

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #370
WONB2K
The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 292
Hopefully lights will only be necessary for early morning and evening transition sections where speeds are restricted. Preparation is the key to success, I think you're going to nail this rally on your first attempt.

JD
WONB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #371
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,999
Nice thats great. Good to go.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #372
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Yes, sorry, forgot that part. They are awesome. I had worried about high speed throw, for lack of a better word, and I'm impressed. I was tagging 70 on a twisty dirt road without feeling I was overdriving them in the slightest.

Also, they are incredibly visible to other people, even during the day. The support crew commented that they could see me from an amazing distance as I came toward them, much further than anyone else (except Chris, since he's running the same).
Thanks Ned. It looks like you are runing a 4LED 'D' and a 6LED 'D2' under that. Spot on top and wide underneath? Pardon if that was posted before.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #373
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Thanks Ned. It looks like you are runing a 4LED 'D' and a 6LED 'D2' under that. Spot on top and wide underneath? Pardon if that was posted before.
Correct, and I don't think it was posted before.

I'm not 100% clear on spot vs. flood, will figure out what I've got and post back. Kurt at Black Dog sent me his recommendation, he's got that stuff dialed.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #374
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 635
Quote:

I'm not 100% clear on spot vs. flood, will figure out what I've got and post back. Kurt at Black Dog sent me his recommendation, he's got that stuff dialed.
Ned,

Are you running a 100% DC system or split AC/DC? If split, are you running those LEDs off the AC circuit (maybe with a regulator/rectifier)? I also noticed that they sit back in the fairing a little, maybe 1/2 inch. Doesn't that cause some of the light to reflect back at you from inside the fairing?

While we're on electrics, are you going to be running one or two fans? Or none? I might of missed it, but I did not see any in the build pics.

Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #375
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:

Thanks again Ned. I can holler at Kurt and ask too. Black Dog are good folks. Your ride is looking really good! I bet riding it only pumps up the anticipation!