Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #376
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Ned,

Are you running a 100% DC system or split AC/DC? If split, are you running those LEDs off the AC circuit (maybe with a regulator/rectifier)? I also noticed that they sit back in the fairing a little, maybe 1/2 inch. Doesn't that cause some of the light to reflect back at you from inside the fairing?

While we're on electrics, are you going to be running one or two fans? Or none? I might of missed it, but I did not see any in the build pics.
100% DC courtesy of a Trailtech Stator/ RR conversion, which has been working awesome. Thanks to Trailtech for supporting me with a setup!

Light reflection is not bad, but one of the details we need to work on is an improved light opening. Hopefully it will look a little nicer and we'll sort out light reflection, too.

Fan is a KTM stock piece, it wasn't installed in most of the pictures. I'm using the stock thermostat control, which seems to be pretty effective.

While we're on the subject of the electrical system, I'm using a Ballistic battery from syclbatt.com. I was warned off from the Shorai I had purchased because the terminals can break, the Ballistic has molded in "nuts" (not those kind of nuts- a female threaded part!). It is the stock battery size, weighs next to nothing, and so far, cranks the bike like it means it!

Another update that will be on the racebike but wasn't done for the test is two additional rear LED lights, to meet the Dakar requirement for rear facing lighting.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #377
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 287
Damn, this is cool. Great to see another American rider doing this, and many thanks for detailing the build and other activities.

Just ordered a t-shirt, stickers, and a couple of the mirrors.

Soon as I get some more scratch, in for sponsorship at one level or another, too!
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #378
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Ned,

Im curious about your decision to not run an oil cooler to increase the overall capacity of oil on the engine side (or did I miss that). I know every time I changed the oil in the 530 then refilled it with 0.6l of oil it made me think "WOW" that isn't much oil.
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

2014 KTM 1190 "R"
RedlegDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #379
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy View Post
Ned,

Im curious about your decision to not run an oil cooler to increase the overall capacity of oil on the engine side (or did I miss that). I know every time I changed the oil in the 530 then refilled it with 0.6l of oil it made me think "WOW" that isn't much oil.
hijack: That's the same amount of oil my 158cc Briggs and Stratton lawn mower uses

50hrs service intervals
hijack off
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #380
mujiburrahman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Best of luck and hope your dreams come true
mujiburrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #381
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Hey Ned, if you do not have anything else going this weekend, why don't you come out to Goodland KS and do the dusty Butt 1,000 to train for the long hours in the saddle. Not much of a training for riding skills, but surely for the long hours...

French vacation house for rent! Great riding area!

450 KTM exc
950 Adventure S
gagnaou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #382
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,653
fity dollah donation made. and IN!! Can't wait to see what happens.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #383
andrewmichaelc
n00b

Oddometer: 8
It would be really useful for you guy's to create the facility so those of us interested in being updated on the production of fairing / roadbook mounts could leave an address and when you're ready you contact us.

The build looks excellent.

A consideration might be if you could put kit packages together, fairings, dampers, tanks with optional lights etc as a one stop shop and to see what cost range they would sit in.

Excellent work.

Andrew
andrewmichaelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #384
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,741
pm sent

We have to get things lined up with Ned's race bike first. Then we start taking orders. Rally Moto Kit LLC is set up and just need to finish the website and shopping cart. I will start a new thread in vendors soon. Thanks for your interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmichaelc View Post
It would be really useful for you guy's to create the facility so those of us interested in being updated on the production of fairing / roadbook mounts could leave an address and when you're ready you contact us.

The build looks excellent.

A consideration might be if you could put kit packages together, fairings, dampers, tanks with optional lights etc as a one stop shop and to see what cost range they would sit in.

Excellent work.

Andrew
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #385
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 13,870

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #386
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Ned,

CPW makes a sweet set-up they use in the Australasian Safari.

http://www.cpwmotoparts.com.au/16-kt...ooler-kit.html
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #387
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Ned,

Seperate motor and transmission oils, about 0.6l each, maybe? Keeps a lot of clutch heat, fibres and gear metal out of the engine's oil and allows a fully synth motor lube and synth/dino for the clutch and trans is my understanding (but I ride blue, so could be way off).

Hey, got my T and stickers in the mail, thanks Ned! I was in very quickly and should've waited till you got those Aussie sponsors on board for the local discounts. Anyways, it's all good and I'll enjoy watching you race on that that half-tank of gas I may have contributed to come January.

Our local derby, the Australasian Safari kicks of in WA later this week and promises to be a true battle in the moto field with Depres heading up a pro and am international field vs some hardened locals.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #388
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Hi Ned, I noticed on an earlier photo the 530 logo, now I saw it mentioned again, is that what youre riding or is it a 450EXC? Surely its a 450 knowing that 530's are too big for the Dakar requirements? Sorry for the dumb question.

That long Nevada loop sure looks awesome.
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #389
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Hi Ned, I noticed on an earlier photo the 530 logo, now I saw it mentioned again, is that what youre riding or is it a 450EXC? Surely its a 450 knowing that 530's are too big for the Dakar requirements? Sorry for the dumb question.

That long Nevada loop sure looks awesome.

could be a side cover from a 530?
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #390
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
could be a side cover from a 530?
If you see a 530, it is my bike. (primer fairing) Not a Dakar bike. Ned's are 450s.

c.vestal screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 10:01 AM
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote