Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #5131
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,337
Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,Pr int,Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,Prin t,Print,Print,Print,Print,Print,

Marc
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #5132
piercalif
Biciveloce

Oddometer: 405
Good job Ned

Was incredible to seeing him after every stage coming back to the bivouac, fresh and strong.....

Carlsbad

piercalif screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 03:48 PM
piercalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #5133
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,179
I ran across this clip in a spectator video:

The original video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6A3VTw-fqA
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #5134
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeHazard View Post
I would like to say that I have just met some of the best people in an amazing part of the country this weekend.
As a rhode islanda I can honestly say it was a wicked good time.
Thank you all!

I was able to present Ned with a nice check for the funds raised from Neduro Artwork print purchases so far. He thanked me, but that thanks belongs to you guys and gals, so I wanted to pass that on. Thank you!

Ned was also able to sign 25 Neduro Artwork prints. These 25 signed prints are now available on a first come first serve basis at www.MotorbikeArtist.com for $14 each. As before and continuing, $10 of each Neduro print purchase goes directly to Ned to help offset his costs for this years Dakar.

Got mine in the mail yesterday! Great work RH. Didn't get the autografhed copy though........
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #5135
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Nice find!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I ran across this clip in a spectator video:

The original video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6A3VTw-fqA
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #5136
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
print,print,print,print,print,print,print,print,pr int,print,print,print,print,print,print,print,prin t,print,print,print,print,print,

marc
ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp ctrlp
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #5137
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 758
Got it,
Thank you RhodeHazard!
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #5138
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
I was in the enviable position of using only stuff I wanted to use for the Dakar- the freedom of the non-factory rider who is writing their own checks is to pick and choose.

In any event, as I look back, there were a few things that stood out as doing their job incredibly well. In no particular order, they are:

Doubletake Mirror- I might be biased, but I can now say with confidence the DTM will hold up to the Dakar. I ran one for every inch, and could fold it away so that it was totally invisible during special stages, no downside at all. On the liaisons, it was magic to be able to see the trucks bearing down on us when we were speed limited on the GPS.

Renazco Seat: Itís all been said before, but if 5000 miles on a 450 in 2 weeks isnít a test of your seat, I donít know what is. Never had monkey butt, and had a pretty good laugh watching all those poor buggers squirming on their torture devices while I was comfy as could be on mine.

Dirt Tricks CCT: One of only two aftermarket parts I trusted in my motor (the other was a trailtech stator). Bike was perfectly quiet for the entire race. I believe in this product and think the stock KTM oil-pressure actuated CCT is not the right choice over the long haul.

Cycra Handguards, with BRP threaded insert mounts: Never moved at all. I used to run other handguards and chase them around the bar, seemed like a daily thing to be adjusting them. The Cycras are bombproof and the BRP inserts means that unless you crash, youíll never touch them.

Scotts Stabilizer: A truly great product. You have no appreciation for the work itís doing, until it stops doing it. One day, the mount post sank into the mount due to the extreme pounding we were taking on rocksÖ at the end of the day, I was terrified and it wasnít until Tim fixed my damper that I realized just how critical it is to a feeling of comfort and control. I run mine on a very light setting, itís almost unappreciable for normal use, but it takes the kick out of almost everything.

Wolfman Luggage: I ran some custom fairing bags that were awesome to have a place to stash parts, and his Enduro fender bag- one bag stayed put for the entire race. Thatís a pretty good testament to the quality of his gear.

Klim Rally Jacket: People keep asking me about this, and I keep saying itís amazing. One of these times, folks will believe me. I carried a ton of stuff in the thing for the whole race- Satellite phone, all my papers and money, tools, food, water, etc. We saw temperatures from below freezing, to above 120, and I was pleased with the jacket everywhere.

With the collar zipped out, and all the vents open, it lets an amazing amount of air swirl around your core and keep you cool. With everything zipped up, youíre dry and warm. And, by having my padding and storage integrated in the same jacket, there is none of the monkey wrestling that most people experienced getting in and out of a pressure suit and jacket and camelback. I could go from a T-shirt to ready to race in 3 seconds, and never wonder if Iíd forgotten anything. I love this jacket. I donít know if itís worth $1300 to you, but it definitely is to me.

Sidi Crossfire Boots: Comfortable like slippers, protective like nothing else on the market. On liaisons, it was common to see people wearing Alpinestars with the boots unbuckled and open. I never saw anyone bother on the Sidi. I canít find a link, but there was a test done by a bunch of orthopedic surgeons that concluded the Sidi was the most protective, and my experience is that other brands may compare when new, but once broken in, the Sidi retains its protection while it falls off dramatically for other brands.

Ariete Goggles: They just donít fog, even with single pane lenses, and I find them super comfy, which is about all I can ask for from a goggle. I ran a light blue tint for most of the race- it didnít show dust nearly as much as clear. Iím a convert, all the Scott, Smith, and Oakleyís I have from over the years are gonna hit the trash.

Mountain Hardware: An inmate here who works for MH sorted me out with a sleeping bag and a bunch of base layers that really impressed me. The Micro Power Stretch (I don't make the names up) packs tiny, and I wore it on many mornings under a t-shirt and the rally to stay warm on the liaison. It fit in a back pocket after the stage started, and beat the heck out of being freezing in the morning. Good stuff!

I was pleased with everything I took, but these things stood out as doing their job extremely well. Thanks to all the companies for their help with the adventure!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #5139
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I was in the enviable position of using only stuff I wanted to use for the Dakar- the freedom of the non-factory rider who is writing their own checks is to pick and choose.

In any event, as I look back, there were a few things that stood out as doing their job incredibly well. In no particular order, they are:

If you have time:
Any sort of oil cooler on the bike? Do you think it made a difference at all?

How often did you change engine/trans oil and/or filters?

What coolant did you run in the engine - any additives, or anything like Evans Oil?

What tires did you choose to run and why?(no need to mention mousses...already discussed at lenght earlier)

How often did you have to replace a chain and/or sprockets and what brand did you use?

What brand of handgrips did you use, and why?

How well did your airbox sealing work?

Did you just use foam air filters or a filter skin of some sort in supplement to that?

hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #5140
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 758
Awesome, Thank you for sharing Ned.
If I may tack on another question?
I'm curious about your preference for the F2R roadbook reader over the MD unit.
Would you run the same setup again?
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #5141
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
hilslamer's question on the air filter made me wonder how the engine held up.
Did you notice any improvement with the fresh engine after the rest day?

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #5142
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Any thoughts about tearing down race motor #1 to check clearances, bearing wear, etc?
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #5143
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
Any sort of oil cooler on the bike? Do you think it made a difference at all?
Yes, a CPW unit that Adventure Moto Australia helped me get. It's a solid and well designed unit, the machining around the oil filter cover (which goes in the cooler) was imperfect so there was a seep there until we figured out how to work around.

Definitely a good modification, more oil is always better, and it can't hurt to get rid of some heat. I do think it was part of the vapor locking issue, as the L/S fuel line ran right on top of the oil cooler (which was hot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
How often did you change engine/trans oil and/or filters?
Every night for both, except no oil filter on the marathon night (I dropped oil and refilled).

Quote:
What coolant did you run in the engine - any additives, or anything like Evans Oil?
Whatever was on the shelf at Autozone, and then refreshed with ELF during the race. I wanted to stay water based so I could refill from a camelbak if need be (I didn't need to).

Quote:
What tires did you choose to run and why?(no need to mention mousses...already discussed at lenght earlier)
Dunlop 908 in the rear, 606 in the front. To paraphrase Cycle News (which I love and read every week, but I can't help myself) I'm not sure they are the best tire out there, but they were the only ones on my bike. I know what they'll do in different situations, they are tough and take care of the wheels, and I managed to get them at cost.

Quote:
How often did you have to replace a chain and/or sprockets and what brand did you use?
I ran a regina chain with a staked link, and while I love and would have preferred to run Dirt Tricks sprockets, I wound up switching from the 46 I brought to a 48 I got from Patsy Quick. No idea what brand it was, it weighed about the same as an anvil.

Swapped chain at the rest day, old one was perfect, but you don't bring them to carry them home.

Quote:
What brand of handgrips did you use, and why?
Dominos, which I love. This part was stock on most KTMs circa 2002, they hold up well, have nice grip, and have just the right amount of cush for me. I hate foam grips, they are too big for my little girl hands or something and make my wrist hurt.

Quote:
How well did your airbox sealing work?
Very well, I think. More in the next answer:

Quote:
Did you just use foam air filters or a filter skin of some sort in supplement to that?
Tim Morton had a great idea- I ran the stock KTM filter, and then we cut a slot in the Yamaha YZ filters (Jonah had a lot of them and he wasn't there to protect them) and put it over the stocker. This made a double filter for about 1/2 the surface area of the stock filter, I'd run it until gas, and then throw the cut Jonah filter away and have a bunch of fresh area to finish with. I think the combination of Outerwears fabric over the airbox, and this, meant I never sucked any dirt, and the filters always looked tolerable at the end of the day.

I saw quite a few enduro bikes that had problems with air filtration. Proper rally bikes have a high filter (like a Husaberg) and that's the ultimate right answer, so that the bike's own dust isn't fouling the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfranco View Post
I'm curious about your preference for the F2R roadbook reader over the MD unit.
Would you run the same setup again?
Yes, definitely. The MD unit is, IMO, archaic and overpriced. The F2R is reliable, has the motor on the inside, dual belts driving the rotors (I had the higher end unit) and big knobs if you care to run it by hand. F2R = Awesome. MD = the norm, but I'm not convinced it's better.

And F2R have a new switch, which I had the prototype of, which was absolutely phenomenal. It controls both the ICO and F2R, has great ergos, and was perfect for the entire race. Such is not the case with the MD switches in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
Did you notice any improvement with the fresh engine after the rest day?
Actually, I thought the first motor ran nicer when we pulled it.

Will definitely tear it down as it needs a new countershaft... I'll report when I do. I'm guessing it will take a countershaft, and while I'm in there a set of rings, and be good to go for the foreseeable future again.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #5144
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
To paraphrase Cycle News (which I love and read every week, but I can't help myself) I'm not sure they are the best tire out there, but they were the only ones on my bike.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #5145
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,334
Thanks for the list of sponsors, Ned. I've already bought an item from Wolfman, plan to buy more, and told 'em why I chose them.
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote