User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #1426
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
awesome!!

Thanks for the audio feed! Great to hear Ned while he's living his dream! So happy for ya Ned. I am anxiously awaiting to hear more!
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #1427
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #1428
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

Indeed..

BTW, my wife tells me the goodie package with maps, tee, hoodie has arrived at the house...can't wait to go see all the "stuff" I got

Hey Eakins - what maps do we get - are the Back Country ones included??

Since I already bought a lot of them I'll have to pass on the duplicates (the old ones of course - if they want new ones they can buy them LOL)

Can't wait to see more photos of Ned on-course!!

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #1429
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Ned calls in after a monster transit (nearly 700km in total) following his first competitive Dakar stage. Ever cerebral, he listened to a book on tape and watched other riders squirm while his Renazco saddle cushioned his tush in comfort. Hopefully Ned is getting his beauty sleep tonight, and keeping the "snowball small", as Charlie would say. Fun fun.

Direct Download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/12D04.mp3
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #1430
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,105
"My goal is...simply to cross that Finish Line, and to have faced the challenge that is Dakar, and prevail."

-- Ned Suesse

'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #1431
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post

Ned calls in after a monster transit (nearly 700km in total) following his first competitive Dakar stage. Ever cerebral, he listened to a book on tape and watched other riders squirm while his Renazco saddle cushioned his tush in comfort. Hopefully Ned is getting his beauty sleep tonight, and keeping the "snowball small", as Charlie would say. Fun fun.

Direct Download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/12D04.mp3
Sweet Dreams! Hope you actually get some rest tonight are ready to go for the next one

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #1432
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
That was my thought; I'd run relatively tall gearing today, knowing that the special was so short.

This is entirely possible, too. And, it might have been a fuel consumption experiment as well, for a "best case scenario" reference point. With the cut D908's we ran in dune training, we were both averaging ~22-25mpg in raw sand on an aggressive albeit navigational pace. If I was to be highly critical of Ned with respect to this factor, I would say that:

A. Ned tends to try to optimise things that should be left alone and IMO should spend the mental energy in riding and not worrying about trying to adjust things to control the uncontrollable and

B. In our dune lesson sessions, the way I rode my 450 was off of his scale of acceptability with respect to sustained revving and WOT. James Embro and I had to explain that oftentimes it is better for the engine to be run WFO on the mainjet as it moves more air through itand sustains a heavy airflow through the engine to keep temps stable as well as move mater through the cooling system in mass quantity to manage the heat that way as well.

I commented that he was often willing to rev an LC8 950 motor relentlessly, and asked why he felt the 450 was different? His retort was that he felt like the 950 was "built to take it" and I quickly pointed out that the 450 is literally half of a 950 motor in bore x stroke dimension proportions, and also that the XC4 engine family(400, 450, 530) has a roller bearing big-end of the rod and significantly larger piston skirts, and relatively larger cooling provisions...after that he seemed more willing to just scream the thing. He will certainly be forced to rape the little 450 mill harder that he feels is prudent on what I see will je on the routes so far.

Again, not putting him down; he WILL get through it all, he just might have to expand a couple of paradigms with regards to mechanical sympathy and limits in the process...

hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #1433
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
with regards to mechanical sympathy and limits in the process...
riding skill, pacing, fitness, navigating, mech sympathy, fatigue managemernt, "knowing" your bike, bush mechanix, logisitics, planning etc... rallying. its the whole package that makes it special.
go ned.

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #1434
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Thanks so much for deciphering the race garb for everyone (me), it's really appreciated!!
+1

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #1435
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
This is entirely possible, too. And, it might have been a fuel consumption experiment as well, for a "best case scenario" reference point. With the cut D908's we ran in dune training, we were both averaging ~22-25mpg in raw sand on an aggressive albeit navigational pace. If I was to be highly critical of Ned with respect to this factor, I would say that:

A. Ned tends to try to optimise things that should be left alone and IMO should spend the mental energy in riding and not worrying about trying to adjust things to control the uncontrollable and

B. In our dune lesson sessions, the way I rode my 450 was off of his scale of acceptability with respect to sustained revving and WOT. James Embro and I had to explain that oftentimes it is better for the engine to be run WFO on the mainjet as it moves more air through itand sustains a heavy airflow through the engine to keep temps stable as well as move mater through the cooling system in mass quantity to manage the heat that way as well.

I commented that he was often willing to rev an LC8 950 motor relentlessly, and asked why he felt the 450 was different? His retort was that he felt like the 950 was "built to take it" and I quickly pointed out that the 450 is literally half of a 950 motor in bore x stroke dimension proportions, and also that the XC4 engine family(400, 450, 530) has a roller bearing big-end of the rod and significantly larger piston skirts, and relatively larger cooling provisions...after that he seemed more willing to just scream the thing. He will certainly be forced to rape the little 450 mill harder that he feels is prudent on what I see will je on the routes so far.

Again, not putting him down; he WILL get through it all, he just might have to expand a couple of paradigms with regards to mechanical sympathy and limits in the process...

Great post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #1436
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,266
hi Flanny
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #1437
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
hi Flanny
Heeelloooooooo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #1438
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,301
Great stuff all...

Better Ned is overanalizing then under so... His instincts will serve him well in the long run. It's the sand that will most likely separate the best of them. SS2 should be a good barometer for things to come.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #1439
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
... ... It's the sand that will most likely separate the best of them. SS2 should be a good barometer for things to come.

And from what I saw on that special where they scouted the route, there's supposed to be more sand than they've seen in 3 years!!!

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #1440
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,641
Go Ned!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote