User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
bridgestone90 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Outback Australia(Around the Block)-including the Canning Stock Route

The catalyst for this ride was due to feeling somewhat ‘burnt out’ after a few years of life changing circumstances. A solo trip into the Australian Outback was decided upon to offer the ‘time out’ from the so called negative aspects in my life (by the time I returned home I felt somewhat different about this but maybe more on that later) and to refocus on the things in my life that are so very important to me.
So with a rough idea of riding some iconic outback tracks, including the infamous Canning Stock Route (CSR), the following schedule was formulated; Dubbo(home), Broken Hill, Marree(past the Flinders Ranges), Oodnadatta Track, Finke, Alice Springs, Tanami Track, Wolf Creek Meteorite, Billiluna, CSR, Wiluna, Anne Beadell Highway, Coober Pedy, Mt Dare, The Rig Road(Simpson Desert), Birdsville Track, Strzelecki Track, Innamincka, Thargomindah, Bourke, Dubbo. A 10,000km trip around the block, eh! Some of this schedule did alter, however predominately remained the same.
The one section of the planned route that I had concerns regarding being solo was the CSR, so I started another new adventure and for the first time in my life I participated in an online forum, ‘advrider’ to ask if any other inmates would be doing the CSR at this time. A few were definitely interested, however everyone’s schedules were not able to be aligned. So I decided I would get up there and assess the risks and if I felt uncomfortable than I could change routes to suit.
After a couple of months planning my life around being away for approx. 4 weeks and a couple of weekends bike preparation (my bike and gear was basically set-up already), I said goodbye to my loved ones and, well, this is how things panned out:-
Day 1 – 1004kms: An early start saw me get out of town at 5:30am, for the tar run through Nyngan, Cobar, Wilcannia (here I met and had a yarn with fellow inmate; Havafati, whom was returning from Tugboat Bill’s Memorial at Big Red), Broken Hill, Yunta. After meeting a local character at Broken Hill, who gave me the tip of a short cut from Yunta to Orroroo (take the dirt road 5mile west of Yunta), I decided it was time to hit the dirt. That 5 mile turned into 25km, but was a good start on the dirt. Caution prevailed late in the day as the roos were getting thick on the ground. I pulled up for the first nights camp in a dry creek bed (a clear sky) and after a quick feed on the campfire I was in the swag for an early night.

Early Morning Start from Dubbo

Camp on the first night

Day 2 - 850kms: Another early start saw me on the bike around 6:00am. Again the roos were thick, so sitting on approx. 60km/hr, I poked along dodging roos until one decided to take me on, hopping into the side of the bike. The last I saw in my mirror, the roo was doing some acrobatics through the air. I was glad it was not me! The temperature was around 5 degrees and after a refuel I was keen to get to Marree for one of their amazing meat pasties to warm my insides. An always enjoyable sight was the Flinders Ranges and scattered historical masonry ruins along the way. A quick stop for a look at plane henge and Lake Eyre before arriving in Oodnadatta for a re-fuel. I headed out near the Dalhousie Spring turn off and set up camp not far off the track.

Flinders Ranges and Ruins

Lake Eyre

Cool old bus!

Oodnadatta Roadhouse

Camp on the second night

Pre dawn ride #1

Pre dawn ride #2

Day 3 – 545kms: I awoke around 4:00am and packed up camp after making a cup of tea and was on the track by 5:00am. I averaged around 70-80km/hr until daylight, however I did not see much wildlife that morning. I pulled into Finke and calculated that I would have enough fuel to reach Alice Springs. The spare rear tyre that I carried to Alice Springs went against everything that I believe in when it comes to loading my bike. I always go for the minimalist approach, but it was the tyre that I felt would get me home from Alice and I was not able to source one there. I felt it affected my fuel economy, but such is life!
The track from Finke to Alice Springs was in great condition and lots of fun. Averaging 100-110km/hr safely along the main track. I arrived in Alice Springs at approx. 1:00pm and headed to the bike shop to have two new tyres fitted. Followed by some access to the net to contact family and friends to give them a pre-arranged update then purchase some supplies in preparation for the CSR. By mid afternoon it was raining. This rain had not been predicted but us bikers have to prepare for this, eh!
I headed out of town around 5:30pm and reached the Taninmi Track just before dark. The road condition signage indicated that the track was open. So I headed a few km’s up the track before setting up camp just off into the scrub, in the rain!

Finke

Finke to Alice Springs

Alice Springs

New rubber
Day 4 – 850kms: I awoke early again, approx. 3:00am. I think my early rising was due to a combination of hitting the swag early and my mind was already focusing on the CSR and my necessity for safety, being solo. Packed up camp in the wet and by sunrise I had completed approx. 150kms. My 10lt fuel drum that was strapped on the back had become loose and moved down to the exhaust area, causing a blow out. Uh Oh! I arrived in Yuendumu at approx. 8:30am and whilst waiting for the fuel depot to open the sun had come out and I made a breakfast cup of tea on the metho stove. By the time I left it was approx. 10:00am. The Tanimi Track had some challenges; ruts, corrugations and mud. Along the track I only saw two cars and two bicycle riders who had ridden from Denmark, riding to Sydney. I stopped and we talked a while. Before I left I gave them a couple of Muesli Bars which they were very appreciative of. After this I had a silly crash, travelling approx. 60-70km/hr in a mud hole. As I approached it I could tell it was not good due to the ruts going all over, but I was carrying a bit too much speed to stop and tried to skirt around the ruts but the back wheel slipped of the shoulder before ending up back in the middle. A big low side with me laying in the mud with a crack full of mud. When I realised that all was good I laid there laughing! After fully assessing the damage; broken mirror and a slightly bent pannier rack, I had a talk with myself to ensure I did not make this mistake again!
I arrived in Billiluna before nightfall and was approached by some local boys, who wanted to know where I was going, why I was alone, why I had mud all over me and the bike and “did I have a gun”!
I headed down the CSR for approx. 1km and found a campsite and set up camp. A light drizzle started again!

Camp on the third night (wet)

Uh Oh!

Termite mounds on the Taninmi

Still smiling on two wheels

Hmmmm! #1

Hmmmm! #2

Here at last

To be continued.....

bridgestone90 screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:44 AM
bridgestone90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
smacka
Tripper head

Oddometer: 42
A thousand kilometres in a day on a DR seat!

MUCH RESPECT!
smacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,993
in

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
FuTAnT
KTM 990ADV

Oddometer: 333
Great RR so far, I'm sure it'l be great til the end. You don't mess around getting from point A to point B!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Russ

Oddometer: 15,721
This will be good
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer: 798
amazing how far you can travel when well rested and with no-one else to slow you down!
buckscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,165
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,658
Keep it coming Picking up little bits of info for the future
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
mecheng
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I don't normally reply to ride reports but im very interested to read the rest of this one!
We had a similar trip planned but my bike suddenly decided to take a nap on top of me inbetween Bourke and wanaaring which resulted in a torn ACL

Mate so far a great ride report
mecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
Ozmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Awesome. Can't wait for the next update!

Ozmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,823
You dont do things by halves do you?

What an achievement! Looking forward to the next instalment.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,117

keep it comin
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Amazing real ADVer
Old 06-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,562
nice work... thanks for going to the effort of putting a report together!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #15
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 637
Good on you mate!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote