Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #76
Kristof Granit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
07.22 Sevastopol / Novorossiysk - The longest day: 8.30 am to 6 am

The hotel was there just at the outside of a small village:

I left the hotel alone around 8.30. A few kilometers after Sevastopol, this guy was on the side of the road, so I stopped and help him with some tools:

By 4pm I was at Kerch for the ferry. This time I didn't took the coastal road by went by Simferopol. Few time after my arrival my friends from Novorossiysk arrive also at the fery gate but we have to wait until 1am before boarding with the others bike.

Only one Ural in the ferry:

With 5 bikes from Novorossiysk we ride together home, by 6am the Ural was in the garage.

The distance is about 500km but it was for all of us a very very long day. We all left Sevastopol in the morning and reach home the next day. For me 8.30 the 22nd and 6am the 23rd so almost a 24h ride...

On the russian side the custom officer told me that I have the "best bike" tonight.
When crossing Novo, there was an "early morning" mobile check point in the center and one of the policeman wave us

Conclusion:
Not the longest ride, especially for a full week, but I met some very nice people like Doug&Polly and was able to shake the hand of a man who shaked the hand of Mr. Cob :lol:
Of course I will have liked to show up the Retro but due to the condition, very hot weather and a lot of dust at the Show territory I didn't regret one minute to have done this ride with the Gear Up.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #77
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 395
Nice job! I enjoy these Russian reports a lot.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #78
Kristof Granit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Novo - Moscow - Novo -- 2875km

09.05 - On the Road again... - First day 480km
I have been stop once by the police just after Novorossiysk, nothing special with the "Cross", kick look on the documents and the policeman wish me a safe journey.

Krimsk, they are building "kickly" some new buildings to relocated the peoples after the floods:

After Rostov, I stop in a small Motel, "discover" last year, secure parking, quiet and low price 1200 rouble for the night in a room with shower and toilet.

09.06 - Moscow - 941km (584miles)
Weather was ok on most part, but before Moscow heavy rain... any way I make my "longest journey" on a Ural at today's day, in Russia, even if it's on the M4.

Can be seen at the Bike Center:

Friday I didn't used the Ural and Saturday just 20 minutes...

09.09 Moscow Voronezh - 511km

Almost 300km under the rain, I have seen 3 accidents due to over speeding and aquaplaning... The picture showing the hotel was done the 10th in the morning (blue sky).

The hotel:

View from the hotel's window, rain and also heavy wind...

09.10 Voronezh / Rostov - 552km
No rain today but 2 accidents, if yesterday the cars were damaged but no ambulance, this time both accidents were more serious.
On the side of the highway, 15okm before Rostov,there is this monument and a nice view on the river Don:

Exact location: 50° 5'33.04"N 40°25'38.24"E

09.11 - Rostov/Novorossiysk - 377km

Today I have been stopped twice by the police, the first time at the entrance of a gas station, the policeman told me that there was a special "day" for the bikes... it;s ended as usual: me showing the pictures of the Ural and him wishing a safe journey :).
Less than 5 km the police car was on the other side of the road, on policeman ask me to stop, then I told him that his colleagues just controlled me, so I didn't show him my documents and he wish me a safe journey...

Weather was ok with +25C from midday and not too much traffic.

---------------------
Total mileage for this ride: 2875KM
Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #79
zadaleko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey

I love to see all this places, and I love to ride one of this grat URALS!!!

Thanks Kristof!!!
zadaleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #80
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
Yeah, me too man! I love Russia - all the history, the culture, the people.... I really want to go live there someday! Seeing all the pictures is awesome!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #81
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,643
Thanks for the reports!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #82
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,544
Great reading. Your English is pretty easy to follow.

I don't know one Russian word, except 'no' and couldn't type it if I tried.

One thing I'm interested in is why do you get stopped by Police so often? Almost every day?
I haven't been stopped by Police in maybe 30 years.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #83
Kristof Granit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
One thing I'm interested in is why do you get stopped by Police so often? Almost every day?
I haven't been stopped by Police in maybe 30 years.
Well, hopefully they didn't stop me every day

You have to take into consideration:
1- The two rides from Irbit 2850km+3621km without license plate...
2- I don't know the figure for 2012 but in 2010 only 20 Ural were sold in Russia and many times I have been stopped only because I was on a new Ural...
3- Even do there is more and more "speed cameras", there is still some policemen along the roads and when they saw something "new" in their area they like to see it closer
4- Only once I have been stopped by an "unfriendly" policeman, but most of the time we talk about the Ural...

October 26th - Daily ride on the seaside and the vineyards:

Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #84
dirt between my toes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristof Granit View Post
The Gear Up get now 10500km in the 6 months I was able to ride.
Adler, Anapa, Azov,BIKE POST, Irbit, Krasnaya Polyana, Krasnodar, Krimsk, Lipetsk, Moscow, Novorossiysk, Rostov, Ryazan, Timachevsk, Samara, Saratov, SEXTON, Sochi, Tuapse, Ufa, Volgograd, Voronezh, Yekaterinburg …

For this year, once again I will start a new ride from the factory, but this time with a Retro with custom paint (White: frame&body, Black: engine &wheels)

The map of the ride:

The Gear Up will start the ride to Irbit tomorrow. My friend Nikolai ride it for two days and he is ok for a +-6500km ride

Then I will meet him the 25th at the factory to get the Retro and we will ride to Moscow, we should be at the Bike Center for the 31st.

To have an "idea" of the Retro:
http://www.uralne.com/2011-ural-retr...-white-custom/
Man I love your RR ! I have wanted a ural for along time , I want the camo paint . And I need to come party you guys !!!!!!!
And your friend Nickolia I need that leather vest !! hell yes !!!!
dirt between my toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #85
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,095
Thumb approved

Elegance
and... Confidence

From your post #73: (quote) "First on a forestery track, difficulty level? For the Ural: zero but for our friend with the FZR not so easy to stay on the track due to all the stones..." (end quote)
The 'Gear Up' might be the better bike on tougher roads but the 'Retro' sure is a sweet looking bike. It makes perfect sense to have both. Sided bikes couldn't hold my attention very long, something this report has cured. And what a motorcycle the Ural is. Not many can at the same time radiate ruggedness and grace.

Overall a great report. Seeing Russia so close up really is an eye-opener. Lots of hidden treasures, natural, cultural and human alike, to be discovered. Reports like these strengthen my resolve to visit the land.

There are monstertrucks and there is this megalobikuklodon which will eat them for breakfast, every day.
This country really is full of surprises. For your efforts to let us in we cannot thank you enough. Please, do enrich us with more reports.

You mentioned the factory's outturn of Ural's in 2010 was barely 20 units. Does that imply the motorcycles are built solely to order and to the special requests of the buyer? Just wondering. Live long, ride strong
Old 11-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #86
Kristof Granit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
...You mentioned the factory's outturn of Ural's in 2010 was barely 20 units. Does that imply the motorcycles are built solely to order and to the special requests of the buyer? Just wondering. Live long, ride strong
There is a misunderstanding, I mentioned 20 units sold in Russia for 2010 not the total production.
Interview with Ilya Khait:
http://en.motonews.ru/news.moto?id=3624
For 2011 they increase the sale by 39%

Russia, Black Sea, November 4th - Ural Retro:

Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #87
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Nice reports. Would love a Ural but dont think I would be able to afford to keep filling up the petrol tank here in the UK

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #88
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,095
Wicked afficionado in training

Quote:
There is a misunderstanding, I mentioned 20 units sold in Russia for 2010 not the total production.
Interview with Ilya Khait:
http://en.motonews.ru/news.moto?id=3624
For 2011 they increase the sale by 39%

Russia, Black Sea, November 4th - Ural Retro:

Indeed.
Thanks for the clarification, the link and... the bonus pictures.

I spent the last nights reading up on Urals. Stuffed to the brim so to speak.

Even (or is it through) the 'not so good' stuff convinced me to take the next step. I'm to contact some people to get a real life meeting, might even get a test ride.

Thanks for the introduction to the Ural and I wish you good luck with and many more satisfying kilometers on your motorcycles.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #89
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
05.28 - Perm / Kirov

First the road is in bad to very bad condition on 70%

What the heck is that ? Never seen a frost heave like that, is that what it is ?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #90
Kristof Granit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
What the heck is that ? Never seen a frost heave like that, is that what it is ?
Just a small piece of that:

First video: "Don't drive at night"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQh-cogHYns
same road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG6FfDON56E