ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
6gun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Help Learning to ride?

Hello everyone, got a question. Anybody near NE Ga that would be willing to help my wife learn to ride. I am currently sitting in Iraq til OCT, and she is wanting to learn to ride before I get home so that I don't have to haul her everywhere pillion style. I am trying to get her enrolled in the MSF BRC, but she is very nervous about it. She ask if I knew anyone who could give her a little help one on one. I thought about it and most of my friends are idiot riders (me included) or new themselves. So I thought I'll ask total strangers for help! I would be willing to compensate for time and such if you want to work out a deal. I lowered my 2003 Super Sherpa for her to learn on till I can get home and help her find something more approprate, so she has that but no way to transport it. Anyway feel free to chime in with ideas, and a woman coach would be even better.

Thanks 6gun

Can't wait to get home to those mountains!

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,903
First, thank you for serving! (From a Retired USAF MSgt E-7). Be safe and come home ready to ride in Oct.

Your wife should have no reservations about taking the MSF course. I was "forced" to take an MSF course when I was assigned to Offutt AFB in 1996 after I had ridden for several years. I thought, "Jeez, I already know how to ride." I was wrong. Really wrong! I learned how to ride the right way, and the instructors and classmates were all helpful. Everyone had the same goal - teaching/learning to ride to survive. No egos, no showoffs.

My opinion - sign up for the class. You won't have any regrets.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
6gun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First let me say thank you also, you kept us safe for a few years before I got in the game. I guess I kinda worded that wrong she is happy to be taking the course, and like yourself I was forced into going. I walked in grumbling and walked out thinking "This should be required to even BUY a motorcycle". She just wants someone to help her and spend some extra time getting the moves downpat. My first time on a bike was over 30 yrs ago so sometimes I forget what it must be like to be a 39yo noob. I was VERY pleased with my rider coaches at FT Benning. When I took my son to another installation for his it was all I could do to keep from strangling the smart-ass retired 1sgt teaching. Just treated a 16yo kid like crap for no reason. My wife will be attending the one in Clarkesville Ga and the instructors there have a very good rep. anyway thanks for responding

Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
6gun, thanks for your service. Glad to hear you're pleased with the training at Benning, we aim to please. You probably had Mike (retired MP) and maybe Kitty (Reserves), both great instructors. Teaching is their bread and butter!

I have to ask... did your son learn at Knox or Gordon? I've since fixed the Knox issue.
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
6gun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Son went to Gordon, with 10yrs on dirtbikes. We talked to the instructor and explained that he was used to the "standard" riding position and that is what he would be riding after passing (2003 Super Sherpa). Instructor then immediately put him on an Eliminator and it was hard as hell for him to ride(had never been on a cruiser never wanted to be on a cruiser) This type of stuff continued for the 2 days. The boy passed with flying colors but only because he pulled off a textbook test. Instructor wouldn't even say congrats only told him to practice up more before he tried to get on the road. At that point he had already racked up 2k miles of pavement following me on backroads. I just know how my wife is (married 18.5yrs) she would feel much better if she had someone to help her practice more, if not I guess I get stuck with it when I get home.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
brownie2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Post this in the D.O.G. of Georgia thread. There's several folks in NE GA that may be able to help. I think a couple of ladies as well. Look up Suchesrider.
Of course with the DOG guys, it may help to post a picture of your wife. Just kidding.........
brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,585
Hey I am in Clayton and have a XR 100 and 90 acers and plenty of gear. It is a great bike to start on because it is light and indestructable.

As she progresses I am in Toccoa weekly and can get the sherpa up for a weekend if she wants. Patti (Suches Rider) is a great resource as well. She has some smaller vintage bikes that would be good to learn on.

sending you my info.

BTW Thanks for your service.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
Does she have a bicycle to start on? No really.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #9
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
6gun, regarding your son's exprience, is not the MSF course like USAF STAN EVAL programs? That is, the student complies with the protocols and requirements of the training and testing offered, to the training institution's standards, not external ones.

Now, I ain't Dr. Phil, but . . . your wife's willing to accommodate a significant life-style change in your behalf; i.e., riding, when She hasn't ridden before. What change and benefit do you offer her upon your return? Just sayin'; sounds like you're blessed with a fine, supportive, understanding spouse; wishing you both happiness upon your safe return to CONUS.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
6gun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone!

The outpuring of help is really amazing, I can't express how much I thank you all! Responding to PMs now. My wife is really thankful for the offers also. And XDRAGRACER you're right you're no DR. Phil (a man that most of the time I admire) Read a little better and you may understand. She isn't learning to ride for me, she's learning to ride for her! She loves to ride pillion but would also like to ride her own if she can get the hang of it. I am perfectly happy with her on back or on her bike beside me, either way.

As far as my sons treatment let me say after 23yrs and more schooling than I can remember, even a short stint teaching at a training site let me say I understand the military education system. MSF BRC is not part of it! It is a civilian course taught by civilians to all who register. I have met alot of Rider Coaches and most of them are genuinely wonderful people who want to help riders. This guy was an asshole! No reason to be like that it is your job as a teacher to serve your students it's what you're PAID to do! I do not coddle my son, hell I'm probably meaner than anyone else to him. But I expect others to treat him at least like a human being.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
6gun, I don't want to pull this discussion away from the topic - which is getting your wife some training...But, if you or your son feel the need to make a formal complaint about the situation at Gordon, please PM me. It's my job to make sure the service the Army is paying for is a close to perfect as possible. These guys and girls work for me, and I strive to only keep the best employed.
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #12
6gun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry!

I guess I was getting a little sidetracked. The point is my wife wanting to learn to ride. Thanks to all who have PM'd and have forwarded the messages to her she is very thankful for those willing to help! And when I get home dinners on me!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Mrs6gun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hello and Thanks

Hello All. I am 6gun's Wife. Thank you to all who have offered help and advice on my journey to learn to ride a bike. I enjoy riding with my Husband on his bike, and I hope to also enjoy riding on my own bike. I am sure I have a lot to learn, but I look forward to it.

Patience is a required quality of a successful teacher.
Mrs6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Ernbo6
Ernbo6

Oddometer: 75
Thumb Great......

My wife also recently acquired her Class M after taking the Basic Rider Safety Course in Acworth, Ga. I too work in Iraq and feel your pain. Thanks to both 6Guns for their sacrifice and their support.
My wife is on our old CM250...the Honda Rebel....... and she is progressing nicely. I ride in front or behind her now with our intercom system(Scala Rider) so I can talk to her and she can talk to me wireless. Awesome tool.
Mrs.6Gun, good luck and just stick to it.
Ernbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Mrs6gun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks, Ernbo6. Be safe!

Patience is a required quality of a successful teacher.
Mrs6gun is offline   Reply With Quote