User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
rickcj7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
WRR or TE??

I really like my WRR but the guys I've been riding with have DRs and KLRs etc....we seem to do a lot more back/dirt road riding than dirt. Would I be happier with a TE630?

Typical ride is 20-30 miles highway to meet up and then mixed highway/back/dirt roads, maybe a power line or easy trail and then roads back home.

My main concern is Husky durability and will it run down the road better than what I have. The WRR will run 70+ mph but I'd rather just be loafing along at highway speeds.
The weights are close but would it make much differance with my type riding? I traded a DR650 for the lighter WR and wouldn't go back to it.
Is the Husky closer to the WRR or the DR650? Does it feel light or heavy? The engine should be more than enough.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I have not ridden at WRR. I have owned a TE610, DRZ400, and a KLR650. Here is my opinion of the latter 3:

KLR650 - I simply don't understand why people like these. This bike was terrible at everything. Crappy off road, but it didn't make up for it in road manners that way something like an F800 or a V-Strom does. The crappyness of the motor was only eclipsed by the crappyness of the suspension, which wasn't up to the task of moderate riding with a scrawny 170-pound guy on board. The only redeeming factor of the KLR is cost.

DRZ - MUCH better. Somewhere between a KLR and a real dirt bike. Not much worse on the roads, MUCH better on the trails. Suspension much better, but still not great.

TE - Best all-around dual sport, in my opinion. Good on the roads, good on dirt, even decent on singletrack.

I only own one of these bikes today; can you guess which one?
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
28marcb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Dry weight on the 630 is 330 lbs. vs. 284 on the wrr, so the wrr is going to feel a lot better in the dirt. Both bikes have incredible wide ratio 6 speed trans. that make them very versatile. No advantage to either there. The Husky will have much better torque and passing power 60-70 mph. I just talked to Travis at thumper racing yesterday and he said he is working on a stroker to compliment the wrr 280 bbk he makes. He said that at the rpm that the stock wrr makes 14 hp the stroker will make 24. I would think that would help quite a bit in the passing power area possibly giving you the best of both worlds. That's my 2 pennies.
Ktm 690R
28marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
The crappyness of the motor was only eclipsed by the crappyness of the suspension,
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Yes, it will run down the road better than what you have, while being as good in the dirt (especially the dirt you said you are riding).

The Husky probably won't have the life expectancy of the Yami...but it is very reliable and fairly low maintenance like the Yami
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Oops
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

A lot of us wonder this same thing. For most of us, Mark Sampson, BigDogAdventures.com, if you prefer, answered the question when after riding his Husky 610 all over Hell's half-acre he bought a WR250R and knew he'd never ride the Husky again.

That's a big deal to me. Heck, he just rode that little bike to Alaska! (I assume he made it, and is already back. He always "makes it".)

So, I bought a new Husky 630 as soon as I knew that crazy sale was going on. Couldn't help it.

Buy what makes your balls tingle. Motorcycling isn't about what other people think or how the numbers compare.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post

Buy what makes your balls tingle. Motorcycling isn't about what other people think or how the numbers compare.
This.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Scharcon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
A lot of us wonder this same thing. For most of us, Mark Sampson, BigDogAdventures.com, if you prefer, answered the question when after riding his Husky 610 all over Hell's half-acre he bought a WR250R and knew he'd never ride the Husky again.

That's a big deal to me. Heck, he just rode that little bike to Alaska! (I assume he made it, and is already back. He always "makes it".)
Big Dogs RR http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706559
Scharcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
rickcj7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post

So, I bought a new Husky 630 as soon as I knew that crazy sale was going on. Couldn't help it.

I've done all the research I can but I'd really like to just try 1 myself to see if it suits me!
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharcon View Post
Thank you! Read it yesterday!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
My main concern is Husky durability and will it run down the road better than what I have.

Husky will run down the road better and the durability issues with the top end and cam chain seem to be gone with the new head on the 630. The only issue for me that is left from the 610 is the crappy clutch design, I'd probably do a cush drive wheel if I got into a 630.

BigDog loves the motorcycle he's on the at the time...just like he should. My 610 was 308 pounds ready to ride and doesn't have a 14 HP point in the entire power curve.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28marcb View Post
Dry weight on the 630 is 330 lbs. vs. 284 on the wrr, so the wrr is going to feel a lot better in the dirt.
The WR250R's dry weight is 276.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28marcb View Post
Dry weight on the 630 is 330 lbs. vs. 284 on the wrr, so the wrr is going to feel a lot better in the dirt.

Really??

So just dropping a few pounds makes one bike better then the other off road? Interesting as I might just offer him the finest dirt bike ever made, my 1976 trail 70, being it is so light it must be an awesome dirt bike

It all comes down to what your needs are, as both bikes are very good at what they are made for. I had to make that decision last year when I bought my dual-sport. It took me a couple months of hemming and hawing to decide on the Husky. For me it came down to no replacement for displacement. The WRR is to me the best small displacement dual-sport out there, but for me it was seriously lacking in the HP department. I don't think you could wrong either way and knowing what your needs are is the first step in deciding between these two.

K.B.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Really??

So just dropping a few pounds makes one bike better then the other off road? Interesting as I might just offer him the finest dirt bike ever made, my 1976 trail 70, being it is so light it must be an awesome dirt bike

K.B.
When you have a worn-out back every pound is an enemy, LOL....off road means you WILL have to pick it up. Seriously, if you ride tight single-track, light is golden. P=MV and what you got better be hung low.