Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #31
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
If you really are considering swapping your WR250R for a TE630 ... my suggestion is to check out a Husaberg FE 570S as well. The bike could easily be setup for dual sporting (versus enduro type trails) and is significantly lighter than a TE630. Weights in stock at 252 lbs. And with the stock gearing you will be able to keep up with your friends easily on dirt roads, etc. I really enjoyed 3 years of riding my WR250R, but it's for sale now because the Husaberg is simply in another class of power and handling.
What he said

I have a 610, I had a bit of grass is greener syndrome and lust for a WRR but the numbers just don't add up for me. 20# of weight (maybe!) is just not worth the loss in power.

The Husaberg OTOH, is significantly lighter, and the weight is carried lower, full of great suspension bits.... That's the only bike that makes me consider leaving the 610.

On the Other other hand, I've never seen a 570 for 6k that the 630 is currently goin for
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #32
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
I had a DRZ400E (new 2009) for 2 years and 9,000kms and just traded it in on a new TE630. I haven't ridden the WR 250 but suspect it would be a terriific bike, as I once owned a TTR250 that was indestructable.

The DRZ was a mightly good trail bike, but a very ordinary adventure bike. Its main flaw was its narrow 5 speed gearbox. If it was geared for the dirt it was hopeless on the road and vice versa, and swapping the front sprocket became tiresome.

The TE has fixed that with is terrific 6 speed wide ratio transmission. I have geared it down one tooth on the front so it can idle along tight trails at 5-6kmh & still cruise all day at 120kmh with heaps more to go (I suspect somewhere close to 170kmh would be achievable). I fitted the twin Arrow pipes and ECU and it goes like a beast.

The only downside over the DRZ is weight. It is top heavy & if you get off balance in an awkward situation it's hard to stop it toppling over. For anything other than tight, technical trails this bike is awesome, and chews up & spits out backroads & fire trails. It is a whole new level of refinement and enjoyment over the DRZ.

However, if you ride predimanantly tighter trails I suggest you get a lighter bike, with the WR probably being perfect. It would be even better if Yami could offer one as a 400-450 rather than just a 250 - I reckon they would sell plenty.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #33
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
My main complaint with my DRZ was that it was extremely top heavy. My WR250R "feels" much lighter than the DRZ, especially when the trail gets slow and tight. The WR250R is not top heavy at all, which was the main attraction for me.
I wasn't saying the WR is top heavy - I haven't ridden one. I was referring to my TE630, which is more top heavy than my old DRZ, which I agree was also top heavy.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #34
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
I know you were not saying the WRR was top heavy. You missed the inference in my post. If the DRZ was too top heavy for a guy my size, and the TE is more top heavy than the DRZ, that is something to consider. Once again, my frame of reference is that I am 5'9" and 165 lbs. AND I ride some tight trails where dropping the bike can really wear you out quickly. If I were taller and heavier this would be less of a deal breaker.
So the TE feels more top heavy than the DRZ? I haven't ridden the TE, but I had a DRZ and agree that the WR feels much less top heavy. If the TE is more top heavy the DRZ, that would be a deal killer for me.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #35
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
So the TE feels more top heavy than the DRZ? I haven't ridden the TE, but I had a DRZ and agree that the WR feels much less top heavy. If the TE is more top heavy the DRZ, that would be a deal killer for me.

DRZ carries it's weight higher than the TE610, the DRZ has an engine that's physically the same size as a KLR engine and is very tall. The TE630 with it's extra weight is probably comparable to the DRZ.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #36
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,259
Quote:
Not according to Rus and he owned both. I am not trying to start an argument, especially since I never owned a TE610/630. However, his statement about his TE630 being more top heavy than his DRZ was very relevant to the discussion.

That's what I said. You know that a TE610 doesn't equal a TE630, right?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #37
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
Coming off a TE510, which is in all together another league from the WR250 or DRZ, I did not feel the TE630 being top heavy. I thought I might feel a big let down with the 630 but was very impressed and feel the bike handles very well in ALL elements. In fact I don't see myself being handicapped with the slightly heavier 630 over the 510. Granted I've taken 17.5 lbs off it allready with an exhaust switch, so I'm on a 300 lb bike.

From my experience of riding my TE510 with those on a DRZ, you will be waiting for them on the 630 also regardless of where you ride.. single track, two track and pavement. The DRZ and WR do not compare in regard to suspension and handling, then when you turn the throttle it even compounds the superiority.

If you have doubt, get on one for a test ride and determine for yourself. Ones experience and abilities can sway opinions all over the place. That is really the only way to determine what suits your riding syle, experience and intended riding environment.

Fast1 screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 08:14 PM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #38
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 583
I have a Husky SM450R and a DRZ. The husky is a completely different animal but the maintenance interval are $hit compared to the DRZ..
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #39
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Dave View Post
I have a Husky SM450R and a DRZ. The husky is a completely different animal but the maintenance interval are $hit compared to the DRZ..
The 450's maintenance interval is also $hit compared to a 610/630
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #40
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
I really like my WRR but the guys I've been riding with have DRs and KLRs etc....we seem to do a lot more back/dirt road riding than dirt. Would I be happier with a TE630?

Typical ride is 20-30 miles highway to meet up and then mixed highway/back/dirt roads, maybe a power line or easy trail and then roads back home.

My main concern is Husky durability and will it run down the road better than what I have. The WRR will run 70+ mph but I'd rather just be loafing along at highway speeds.
The weights are close but would it make much differance with my type riding? I traded a DR650 for the lighter WR and wouldn't go back to it.
Is the Husky closer to the WRR or the DR650? Does it feel light or heavy? The engine should be more than enough.

what about a te310 or 450?

They should be a fraction of a 630...
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #41
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Aren't the 'Bergs talked about above in that same boat? The dealer I talked to certainly said it was a "racebike with lights".
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #42
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Yep, they are.
But he was comparing the 510 which is basically a longer stroke 450.
Apples to oranges.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #43
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
not necessarily,, a bit more intensive with oil changes and rear tires but thats about it (my 510 went 8000 miles without any need to adjust the valve lash).. trade offs for the 610's cam chain issue. 630 is unknown but speculation would say that it will be better than the 610.

Fast1 screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 08:12 PM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #44
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 895
All of this is interesting. I've actually been contemplating selling my WRR /X and picking up a TE630. I love my R/X and I have it setup exactly how I want for both street and dirt. It does everything I ask of it and it never gives me a problem. But I just want more power. Not necessarily in the dirt, just the street.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #45
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
not necessarily,, a bit more intensive with oil changes and rear tires but thats about it (my 510 went 8000 miles with any need to adjust the valve lash).. trade offs for the 610's cam chain issue. 630 is unknown but speculation would say that it will be better than the 610.
Doesn't the WRR require valve check / adjustment @ 26K?
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote