Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #46
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Aren't the 'Bergs talked about above in that same boat? The dealer I talked to certainly said it was a "racebike with lights".
Any bike that breaks down service intervals in hours run, is going to be a high maintenance bike. Compared to say a WRR or TE 610-630 with nearly double the oil in the sump, you would need a fairly good sized oil cooler to get close and that is just one more thing external to the engine to fail on the trail.

K.B.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #47
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,808
The TE/SM 630 hold just shy of 2 quarts of oil in the sump. Owners manual suggests 3K mile oil change intervals. My bike will get an oil change at under 2K regardless.

How much oil does the WR250 hold in the sump?
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #48
rickcj7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
All of this is interesting. I've actually been contemplating selling my WRR /X and picking up a TE630. I love my R/X and I have it setup exactly how I want for both street and dirt. It does everything I ask of it and it never gives me a problem. But I just want more power. Not necessarily in the dirt, just the street.

Thats exactly how I feel, I love my WRR, I have over $3000 invested to set it up the way I want.
Maybe get $5000 out of the WRR and spend $6500 otd on a TE and then $2000 or so to set up. Does it run the highway $3500 better???? The KLR and DR guys I run with don't have much interest in single track.

Swapped my WRR for my buddies KLR on a stretch of 55 mph highway, other than a few more ponys, my WRR was a lot smoother and easier to handle, didn't care for the KLR vibs.

Hows the TE engine vibs compared to a KLR or DR???
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #49
rickcj7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
The TE/SM 630 hold just shy of 2 quarts of oil in the sump. Owners manual suggests 3K mile oil change intervals. My bike will get an oil change at under 2K regardless.

How much oil does the WR250 hold in the sump?

1.5 qts and 3000 mile oil change and 6000 mile filter change.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #50
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I think I have every farkle there is and I don't think I have 2k extra in the TE.

Are you counting a suspension redo in there or what?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #51
rickcj7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I think I have every farkle there is and I don't think I have 2k extra in the TE.

Are you counting a suspension redo in there or what?
Exhaust, programer, seat, bars, tires, pegs, armor it adds up quick!

Fast1 How smooth is the new 630??? Ever ride a WRR to compare it to?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #52
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post

*cough* Bullshit

HDB full setup with everything you got at least $400.00
Lynx setup, second one now? at least $450.00 (only going for used price X2)
Giant Loop Coyote? about $325.00
Leo Vince slipon about $325.00
Pivot Pegs I forget what I paid but about $120.00
Uptite skidplate... hmm forget again but like $140.00
Uptite oil filler plug like $25.00
Uptite front allen replacement nut like $30.00
Uptite hydro clutch? No clue but not cheap, guessing $160.00
Forget which tank bag you're using but tossing a $130.00 at it :-P
Will be kind with the fuel injection farkle (yeah it's a farkle when you go off the reservation on a replacement part especially FI) tossing $250.00 at that puppy
At one time I think you had rear panniers and bags, Dirtbags right? Tossing $250.00 at that one
And this is all from memory, could check the thread for some pics of your bike over the last two years :-P

K.B.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #53
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Heart vs. the Brain.....

Yup, it's really apples and oranges!! Two totally different bikes......both great but.......one gets the heart going and the other makes sense to the brain!

Husky:
The Husky sure get's the heart going.....they are simply beautiful bikes!! (Not to say the WR is a bad looking bike, because it's not). The husky, especially the newer ones, have had a HUGE improvemnt in many aspects since BMW purchased them. They are being built better, and shipped like real motorbikes compared to just two years ago!! Go ahead and ask a dealership how the new husky's are shipped as compared to 2+ years ago!! Ask them about the plastic baggy with misc washers, nuts, and brackets.....and no instructions! Now the bikes arrive like a bike from a major vendor should arrive!!

WR250R:
The brain however, will simply tell you their's probably not a bike made today that's as reliable, durable and will be pennies on the dollar to own then a WR!! The high service intervials and cost of ownership makes the WR an impossable bike not to own.

If you can't make a decision then ride both and let the bike tell you!! I'm of the belief that a bike will choose you rather then you choose them.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #54
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
OK, I didn't count the giant loop stuff.

I'm still on my first lynx, well first and a half. But c'mon it's not really fair to count stuff I BROKE as a double farkle
Yeah it was used, I think like 400.

I don;t think I have that much in the HDB's. Though he's easily sent me $1k worth of stuff.

Up-tite clutch is like $325! but I don't have one

Leo Vince is spendy, but was on it when I got it.

Fuel injection isn't a farkle!!!! Cmon!

Neither is tig welding! Well, OK MAYBE the reinforcing bits, like $90

And yeah, I mean there's be uhmmm a FEW gps's

Oh, and I did forget the cup holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
*cough* Bullshit

HDB full setup with everything you got at least $400.00
Lynx setup, second one now? at least $450.00 (only going for used price X2)
Giant Loop Coyote? about $325.00
Leo Vince slipon about $325.00
Pivot Pegs I forget what I paid but about $120.00
Uptite skidplate... hmm forget again but like $140.00
Uptite oil filler plug like $25.00
Uptite front allen replacement nut like $30.00
Uptite hydro clutch? No clue but not cheap, guessing $160.00
Forget which tank bag you're using but tossing a $130.00 at it :-P
Will be kind with the fuel injection farkle (yeah it's a farkle when you go off the reservation on a replacement part especially FI) tossing $250.00 at that puppy
At one time I think you had rear panniers and bags, Dirtbags right? Tossing $250.00 at that one
And this is all from memory, could check the thread for some pics of your bike over the last two years :-P

K.B.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #55
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
Not according to Rus and he owned both. I am not trying to start an argument, especially since I never owned a TE610/630. However, his statement about his TE630 being more top heavy than his DRZ was very relevant to the discussion.
My DRZ400E weighed 119kg dry, my TE630 149kg, i.e. 30kgs more. It also holds 2 litres more fuel.

I got experience of the extra weight of the TE when I took it down a steep, rocky, wet, off camber track that resulted in a dead end. I had to turn around in a tight, nasty spot, where its poorer turning circle, more road orientated tyres (Karoos vs 606s) and extra weight were negatives over the DRZ. I ended up losing my balance & once it started to topple over I couldn’t catch it. This was no problem, as I was at a standstill, but it was fairly heavy to pick up as it fell beyond 90 degrees, but again no problem as I am 6’4” and weigh 15 stone and have been riding for 30 years.

The TE does feel more top heavy to me than the DRZ, but perhaps this is just a function of it being 30kgs heavier overall.

The DRZ is a very good trail bike but, in my opinion, a very ordinary adventure bike. It was designed as enduro bike and indeed raced with limited success when it was first released in the late 1990s. Unfortunately it was quickly swamped by the mighty WR400F, so got relegated to a reliable “trail” bike. Somehow over the years it has morphed, in the eyes of some, into an adventure bike, although the bike itself is mostly unchanged. So we have an enduro bike being lauded as an adventure bike, which it isn’t, primarily due to its narrow 5 speed gearbox. The standard gearing is 14/47, and at that it’s starting to rev hard at 80kmh and is unbearable much beyond 100kmh for anything but short stints. I changed the gearing to 14/42, which improved on road performance, and then to 15/42. Even with that it was very ordinary above 100kmh for longer rides, and then was too high for the dirt.

I am not criticizing the DRZ as I was riding it outside its design brief. I bought it partly based on research on the internet which suggested it was fine for on road riding - it isn’t. Many DRZ lovers will argue otherwise, and of course you can ride it on the road. However, I want to enjoy this aspect, not endure it – life’s too short when there are far better options available.

Which brings me to the TE. It is an awesome bike for the type of riding I do – some tar, dirt back roads, fire trails, general off road and tight trails. Although it is heavier than the DRZ it doesn’t feel it anywhere other than the tightest of spots. Its suspension & frame are far superior – it just powers over & through obstacles without deviation & feels more like an enduro bike. I have put on the twin Arrow pipes & reduced the gearing from 15/42 to 14/42, and with those changes it will idle along the trail at 5kmh and lift the front instantaneously with a small twist of the throttle. It will also list in second by just rolling it on, and can cruise all day at 110-120kmh mostly vibe free (compared with DRZ) and I suspect would top out somewhere around 170kmh, although I haven’t tried it. It also looks & sounds awesome.

However, if you do mostly off road riding and can trailor your bike to your riding spot there are much better dirt bikes available. The TE is an all rounder – very good at most things but not exceptional at any.

Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #56
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
My DRZ400E weighed 119kg dry, my TE630 149kg, i.e. 30kgs more. It also holds 2 litres more fuel.

You are saying your DRZ weighs 66 lbs less than a TE630. That is pure bullshit.

That makes your DRZ less weight than my TE510. Pure bullshit.

TE630 factory weight is 317 lbs. (144 kg) 317 minus 66 lbs = 251 lbs for a DRZ. Time to quit dreaming.

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com...specifications
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #57
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post

Fast1 How smooth is the new 630??? Ever ride a WRR to compare it to?
Very smooth, however many don't realize that tire selection can impact smoothness.

I haven't been on a WR. I'm sure they are smooth bikes no doubt, but soon or later you have to
take on woops, rocks, ledges, sand and mud all of which require a good suspension and superior
steering geometry. The suspension on the WR is lacking once you move beyond dirt roads or single track
crawling pace. Just look through the WR thread and read about those that have owned other dirt bikes
which are now faced with sending their WR suspension off to be up-graded.

If you will never use the power and handling of a TE630, you can pay the same price and get a WR250. Both are excellent bikes with similar prices. Pick your poison and have fun.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #58
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

TE630 factory weight is 317 lbs. (144 kg) 317 minus 66 lbs = 251 lbs for a DRZ. Time to quit dreaming.

The DRZ400E in Australia has a dry weight of 119kgs - see below
http://www.bikesales.com.au/reviews/...-drz400e-14265

Its close relative, the more road going DRZ400S, has a dry weight of 132kgs.

Both bikes are road registerable in Australia.

The TE511 is listed by Husky Australia as having a dry weight if 111kgs
http://www.husqvarnamotorcycles.com....t=TE+510&cid=3
Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #59
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Also, Husky Australia website lists TE630 weight as 149kgs - not sure why different to US 144 kgs.
http://www.husqvarnamotorcycles.com....=TE+630&cid=18

So in Australia:
TE630 149kg
Drz400S 132kg
Drz400E 119kg
TE511 111kg
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #60
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Get what you like best, they'll both do the job. For me I'd maybe consider the WRR for the eastern half of the country. For the rockies and west I'd want more grunt and the TE would look mighty nice.

I have had thoughts of building up a turbo WR-X - that'd be entertaining in the city I think If the WR were 50lbs lighter it'd be a lot easier to love, but the thing weighs as much as my XR650R. If I'm toting a ton of weight I generally like consummate thrust to go with it, though flogging a little engine can be fun too.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote