User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Jack D OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
F800GS Reliability

Considering an F800GS but all the problems that I read about on the BMW forums, both with the bike and with the company, have me concerned. I am aware of how the internet forums make things appear worse than they are but what I am reading is excessive even for the internet. Splitting gas tank shells, cheap chains, bad wheel bearings, bikes that won't start, leaky gaskets, lack of warranty extension on known problems and an apathetic attitude on the part of the company. So how has your F800GS experience been? Please list year model and mileage in your response.
Thanks
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
You need to be looking in Parallel Universe, the subforum the bike in question.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Jack D OP
Adventurer

Thanks, did not know it existed.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Jack D OP
Adventurer

Thanks again, after looking through the Parallel Universe section I am even more fearful than I was. I am now thinking I should play it safe and buy a Ural or Royal Enfield.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,385
Yes, forums do emphasise problems - but have a look at the DL threads if you want some perspective. (And no - I'm NOT suggesting you buy a DL), but for the $$ that's the sort of reliability I'd expect to be getting from the F800.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
Thanks again, after looking through the Parallel Universe section I am even more fearful than I was. I am now thinking I should play it safe and buy a Ural or Royal Enfield.
This is the internet ... most bikes have problems ... the one that surprised me the most is the DR650 3rd gear "engine grenade" issue !

Anyway .. do your research and enjoy !
Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
As a realest that knows 'shit happens', my F8 has been as good if not better for reliability than any other bike I have owned.

Two things cause bikes to break down, poor maintenance is the biggest one, manufacturer oversight is the other.

I never buy a new bike and take it straight out and ride the tits off it,

I always go over it, whether its costs 20K or 2K, and make sure everything is where its supposed to be and works as advertised, I find it reduces the heartache of a broken new toy!!

There are not any real bad bikes on the market these days, some are just a bit better than the others.

F8 is no worse than anything else!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
The question is though... is it any better to justify the "extra" money they want for 'em??

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
This is the internet ... most bikes have problems ... the one that surprised me the most is the DR650 3rd gear "engine grenade" issue !
Anyway .. do your research and enjoy !
The percentage of DR650 3rd gear failures is TINY compared to the number of disastrous issues well documented with BMW's F800GS's.
In following the DR650 for over 10 years, I can count 3rd gear failures on one hand ... and some are in fact NSU bolts dropping into gear box.

But whether NSU or gear box problems ... if you consider the bikes been produced in current form since 1996 to present, overall it's been AMAZING.
We are talking 10's of Thousands of DR650's produced over 15 years ... compared to a tiny few BMW's.
Go onto the big DR650 thread in thumpers and count up the reported 3rd gear failures or NSU problems. They are there. I'd estimate 1% at the most.
Go to any other big DR650 forum (there are several worldwide), see how many you can come up with.

Even casual, cursory reading of any BMW F800GS forum will produce dozens of "Problem" threads ... and the bike is only a few years old. No comparison.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 07:09 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:

Take a trip round India on a rental before you buy one. Should clear things up!

For P.A., be sure to read this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562199

But be aware ... any non BMW owner posting any comments or opinions critical of BMW may be castigated or banned from ADV.

If you post anything the "mods" disapprove of ... certain "sacred" inmates will report you ... if they don't like your "attitude", you will be banned.

Real open minded sort of crowd. Hell with the rules ... they make 'em up as they go. Serious Kool-Aid

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 10:15 AM
Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The percentage of DR650 3rd gear failures is TINY compared to the number of disastrous issues well documented with BMW's F800GS's.
In following the DR650 for over 10 years, I can count 3rd gear failures on one hand ... and some are in fact NSU bolts dropping into gear box.
Yes probably not that common ... but it sure is spectacular when it happens!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
But be aware ... any non BMW owner posting any comments or opinions critical of BMW may be castigated or banned from ADV.

If you post anything the "mods" disapprove of ... certain "scared" inmates will report you ... if they don't like your "attitude", you will be banned.

Real open minded sort of crowd. Hell with the rules ... they make 'em up as they go. Serious Kool-Aid
I think in some parts of this site this is known as "trolling".This is generally frowned upon, but I have to admit that occasionally it can be fun. You should try it on the Orange Crush Thread ... they "burr up" really easily over there.

Of course some people have had bad experiences with a brand, or just don't like them which is fair enough if you don't pretend otherwise. I know you hate BMW's, I'm not very fond of Kawasaki's ... its just the way it is. At this stage I think I am supposed to talk about the brotherhood of adventure motorcycling and how we are all in this together ... which is I guess true. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you respect others choices.

OK got this sorted ... next on the agenda world peace!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:

But if it comes down to dollars and cents don't even worry about it blowing up as you'll have 3 spares DR's for the cost of setting up one decent f8gs... I've spent way too much on mine already, a lot more then I'd like to tell my wife. By now I could have set up a 3 to 4 very nice DRs which would go a lot further then my f8gs could ever dream of ....
Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
LMAO!!!!

I have no experience with the BMW's...but I can tell you if you want to read another thread with 'problems', checkout the KTM 690R thread in the Thumpers section- over three million views, hits, posts, whatever you call 'em.

It still wasn't enough to dissuade me from buying a 690- it's been a really fun bike. Not without it's idiosyncrasies, to be sure. Kind of like the 800 GS in that regard, I suppose.

Best of luck in your decision!
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #15
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Ouch! That's nasty! the poor guy probably lost $1500 on that bike ... wonder what it would have cost on a BMW?

"Probably" not that common? Uh, yea. If it was common, I'd be the first to
show the pics and quote the numbers ... but it just isn't.

I would ask some of your fellow Aussies and Kiwi's ... like Nordie Boy, Bergdonk, Burren Rider and a few others that have experience with DR's.
Ask them how many DR's have exploded ... that they know of? Of course not all examples will be on internet forums. So just a sampling ... for both bikes. Trust me, the math really works against the 800GS here.

Also ask them which bike gets more abuse and which bike gets less attention (maintenance) and which bike keeps starting everyday and coming back for another kicking!

I like ALL motorcycles ... I've put close to 100,000 miles on BMW's. But I do object to owners lying about the "legendary" reliability of certain brands. Pedaling BS may work on Noobs. But I'm not new. I've been in the industry, seen it all up close. If you knew the real truth you'd choke.