User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,758
SMIBs Doing the 1-Day Rawhyde Adventure class sponsored by Morton's BMW

So back in late May Rawhyde Adventures visited 6 East Coast BMW dealerships. It was a pizza and a seminar class. Now 6+ weeks later they provided a 1 day off road course. Morton's graciously sponsored this event at their farm. The hospitality was second to none, and was the top notch experience that you have come to know from them. They had mowed a 1/4 mile track for the exercises, erected a hospitality tent, had haybales for seating when we were being lectured, a wonderful foot-long sandwich delivered, three coolers of drinks, two port-o-poties, and even a a generator/air compressor to refill the tires at the end of the day!

A B.I.G kudos to Morton's BMW!!! Grapevine has it, that this was the best equipped location that they have ever done this at!

A little ADVrider in the making:

The day started at 0900 with a quick overview of the day festivities.

There were a wide variety of bikes from KTMs, KLR, Honda's, but mostly the beloved BMWs (R1200s, G650s, F650s, and HP2).

The next 1-1.5 hrs was spent airing down tires to 25 psi, adjusting handlebars, and clutch and front break levers, and rear brake levers.

Disbelief that Blooch actually has a more hair ?

Anyone have a tic-tac?

Lactation issues...

About 1045ish, we mounted the steeds for a quick 20 min ride to the farm. We had 55 riders sign up, and 41 riders rendezvous. We were divided into group "A" and group "1". Once at the farm, Shawn explained the exericses while his brother Lance demonstrated them.

Lining up for exercise #1

Exercise #1
The first exercise was slow ride (ride slow and straight, slower than he walked) while standing. Lance critiqued you through the first 200 yards, and then you practiced it on the next part of the 1/4 mile return loop. On the second lap, Shawn intentionally tried to distract the riders, you drive home the fact you must remain looking up/ahead in the face of adversity.

Blooch

Banshee

Gastone

Blaster

Joints4Sale

Exercise #2
The second exercise was trail stops where the rider advances with some momentum (still in first gear), and then applys both brakes to halt the bike. Without dabbing a foot, start up again. This is useful on hill where the far side of crest may need investigation before advancing.

Notice he even stalls and restarts

Exercise #3
Was weaving through the offset cones, while practicing heavily counter weighting the bike. I thought this was the most fun. After the first 200 yards, we were to lean the bike over and counterbalance.

JointsforSale

Gastone

Banshee & Bloochdog

Banshee cheering Blooch up a bit...it will be okay...

Lastly, we went for a nice "gallop" through the farm. It was about a 10 min ride, however, it did appear to take it's casualties.

For the SMIBs, we left the farm full of frolic and did a victory lap through Lake Anna before heading to dinner at Regina's Pasta Factory in Dahlgren.

Overall, the exercises were well thought out and explained. They were consistent with other training and methodologies, while introducing a slight variation of them. Instructors were knowledgeable and entertaining.

Dorito screwed with this post 07-16-2011 at 07:51 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,954
Dorito,

thanks for putting up the rr. Why didn't you post the vid of me doing exercise 3 in reverse... blindfolded???

Garrett.
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,842
any misadventures for Team Turtle?
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
any misadventures for Team Turtle?
Notta one and we were the fastest, so what does that tell you!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

So the guy on the left shows up and starts talking to Dana and I about bikes and then he says "do you know what I hate about BMW's?" So Dana and I both bite and ask "no what" so he goes on to tell us that he hates them because "they are to quiet and people almost get run over all the time because of it". Well I decide to just let this roll off my back but not Dana she explains to him that if "loud pipes save lives imagine what learning to ride could do", it kind of locked the guy up for a bit and then he went rambling on about some other crazy shit. Later on I overheard him talking to others about this "growth on the side of his face and how he attributed it to cell phone usage, lets just say many people overheard this and you could see the smirks on people's faces.

blaster11 screwed with this post 07-16-2011 at 09:08 AM
blaster11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

All the pictures and videos located here.

http://blaster11.smugmug.com/Motorcy...065815_FXZPJz/
Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
ShawnWorks
Rock on!!!

Oddometer: 243
Awesome RR, thanks for Sharing! Lance and I had a great time with you folks, thanks agin for the good times and hospitality. Hope we get to ride again soon...!

- Rosalia de Castro
ShawnWorks is offline   Reply With Quote