ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Harp_63
Just Ride

Oddometer: 29
Greg forgot to mention that between Sisters and Sunriver he missed a turn and I was close enough to notice him spinning the bike around in the gravel road so that he could hit the side trail. This is my version of what happened, I'm sure Greg's will differ. The quick spin didn't quite end up how he was hoping but I think he wanted to impress me and not have to back the bike up to align with the road. By this time I am wondering what he is going to do because he is headed for the sagebrush. He decides to power ahead over the clump of sagebrush. I hear the throttle crack and the KTM comes to life sand flying from the back tire as he loops around me (man I wish I would have had a camera rolling), he squares to the trail and I am sure he is thinking that little bush won't affect me and my mighty 450... The throttle rolls on a little more the speed builds as he heads for the bush, at this point he is only about 6' in front of me. The front tire hits the bush and the next thing I see is Greg and the mighty KTM launching into the air. The tail whips out and the entire bike and rider go horizontal in the air. I am thinking, "I didn't know Greg had this trick crap in his repertoire"... about the time I was getting impressed the bike and his body slammed the ground still in the horizontal position. Greg was pinned under the bike but I was laughing my ass off and sat and watched in amazement of what had just happened in front of me. I finally dismount and pull the bike off him and we both look at the sagebrush where there is now pretty good sized log exposed that was hidden before. I am sure he will blame the lack of control on not setting up his suspension.
Harp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53

Hey didn't we do 139 miles by like 10am on day 1 and 415 miles by noon on day 2? Yah I think so. Captured this image of total ride miles from another Munn ride report. Harp63 thought you had an image of our total miles on your GPS??. In fact I think we did 139 miles in the dark after curfew on day 2...

BigHo screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 09:41 PM Reason: uh cause
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harp_63 View Post
Greg forgot to mention that between Sisters and Sunriver he missed a turn and I was close enough to notice him spinning the bike around in the gravel road so that he could hit the side trail. This is my version of what happened, I'm sure Greg's will differ. The quick spin didn't quite end up how he was hoping but I think he wanted to impress me and not have to back the bike up to align with the road. By this time I am wondering what he is going to do because he is headed for the sagebrush. He decides to power ahead over the clump of sagebrush. I hear the throttle crack and the KTM comes to life sand flying from the back tire as he loops around me (man I wish I would have had a camera rolling), he squares to the trail and I am sure he is thinking that little bush won't affect me and my mighty 450... The throttle rolls on a little more the speed builds as he heads for the bush, at this point he is only about 6' in front of me. The front tire hits the bush and the next thing I see is Greg and the mighty KTM launching into the air. The tail whips out and the entire bike and rider go horizontal in the air. I am thinking, "I didn't know Greg had this trick crap in his repertoire"... about the time I was getting impressed the bike and his body slammed the ground still in the horizontal position. Greg was pinned under the bike but I was laughing my ass off and sat and watched in amazement of what had just happened in front of me. I finally dismount and pull the bike off him and we both look at the sagebrush where there is now pretty good sized log exposed that was hidden before. I am sure he will blame the lack of control on not setting up his suspension.
I did forget to mention that but Dale your version is pretty much the way it happened. I thought twice before throttling through those two small bushes but what are the odds? That log was strategically hidden I think...kind of like the gas can we ran into later in the ride! The bruise on my left hip is gone finally but my ribs are still sore and something is out of alignment in my back. Paul (neighbor/chiropractor) is going to straighten me out (good luck).
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #19
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHo View Post

Hey didn't we do 139 miles by like 10am on day 1 and 415 miles by noon on day 2? Yah I think so. Captured this image of total ride miles from another Munn ride report. Harp63 thought you had an image of our total miles on your GPS??. In fact I think we did 139 miles in the dark after curfew on day 2...
Yep...the 415 above was the total for three days. We were at the 400 mark after a day and a half this time, around the Hart Mountain hot springs! Our little night ride was only 60 miles but we could make that longer next time if you'd like!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
Harp_63
Just Ride

Oddometer: 29
I do have a picture of the final GPS data. 34.7 is the moving average (mph) and 20.1 is the overall average. We had 24hrs 16min of moving time. You are suppose to do an oil change on the KTM's @ 15hrs...

Harp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
timbanditos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cool ride, you guys are tough, that desert was brutal when we rode the OBDR a few weeks back and we just cut through it!
timbanditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #22
BigHo
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
Yep...the 415 above was the total for three days. We were at the 400 mark after a day and a half this time, around the Hart Mountain hot springs! Our little night ride was only 60 miles but we could make that longer next time if you'd like!
Well the night riding was actually not that bad, so sure I could do more, bring it on. For some reason it seemed easier than riding at night in Baja. Think because I had decent goggles and a pretty decent light made a difference. Harp63 did not think my light was that bright over the stock KTM light but think it was just bright enough over the stock light to make a difference. I had no problem seeing and keeping the speed at around 35 to 40 which is not too bad.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
BigHo
Adventurer

Well I have to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harp_63 View Post
I do have a picture of the final GPS data. 34.7 is the moving average (mph) and 20.1 is the overall average. We had 24hrs 16min of moving time. You are suppose to do an oil change on the KTM's @ 15hrs...

Well I hate to do this but have to admit I was a tad tired after this little adventure. I don't know how those guys in Baja ride that many miles in such a short time span at such a high level. .Guess not being fat and over 50 helps with that?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
JDRobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
24 hours of moving time...and about half that in sleep time?

I was perplexed when Greg wiped out, until I seen the log. Holy smokes, what a land mine! That would have put a lot of guys on the wagon home. I'm suprised we didn't think to get a picture of it.

My "land mine" of the day was three beers, a shot, and a cigar on a completely void stomach.
That was lesson 5 of the trip for me though. Get a camel back. No time for getting a water bottle out for a drink...ride on!

Lesson 1 came early on...Bug Spray, the good stuff. Lesson 2 Watch out for logs in the brush, courtesy of Greg LOL. Lesson 3 If you think you'r going fast enough, speed up cause BigHo is close enough to poke you. Lesson 4 Balancing a six pack of beer on your tank without drawing too much attention from the State cop talking to the histeric lady in front of the store. Lesson 6 Most all the locals carry...consider getting the concealed weapon permit renewed. Lesson 7 came later that night as the loft began to cool down about 2 AM...it gets cold at night in the desert, even in July! That turned out to be a shot across the bow and something I would be thinking about a lot the next evening...that and the stories about some guys spooning in a ditch in Baja???? Anyway, more lessons to come in Day 2...but let's hear Greg's story first...
JDRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #25
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbanditos View Post
Cool ride, you guys are tough, that desert was brutal when we rode the OBDR a few weeks back and we just cut through it!
I think "gluttons for punishment" may be a better description!

Humunn screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 06:54 AM Reason: cuz I can't spell
Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #26
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHo View Post
I don't know how those guys in Baja ride that many miles in such a short time span at such a high level. .Guess not being fat and over 50 helps with that?
Hey hey now...I prefer to call it "well seasoned"!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #27
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRobin View Post
My "land mine" of the day was three beers, a shot, and a cigar on a completely void stomach.
I must not have mentioned that part of the initiation...sorry!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #28
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbanditos View Post
As much as I enjoyed riding the OBDR through the forests,
and even the awesome beginning of the Desert from the South up to Christmas Valley......

......You crazy fuggers can have that 130+ mile section of NOTHING but sand and sage from Christmas Vally up to Riley.
My 990 and me will remember to very gladly slab around that section of Oregon's hell at just under light speed every freaking time
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #29
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
As much as I enjoyed riding the OBDR through the forests,
and even the awesome beginning of the Desert from the South up to Christmas Valley......

......You crazy fuggers can have that 130+ mile section of NOTHING but sand and sage from Christmas Vally up to Riley.
My 990 and me will remember to very gladly slab around that section of Oregon's hell at just under light speed every freaking time
LOL! Well said! That area is officially the middle of no where. The only things I've seen out there besides sage and sand are a few antelope and F-15 fighter jets!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #30
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
The only things I've seen out there besides sage and sand are ....... F-15 fighter jets!!!
And they could bomb the hell out of it,
and no one would know the difference.

It would look the same, with more sand in the middle

Nice ride, you tough ADVers !!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote