ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #31
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
And they could bomb the hell out of it,
and no one would know the difference.
Except the ONDA!!!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl

Humunn screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 03:14 PM Reason: I type faster than I think.
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
JDRobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
As much as I enjoyed riding the OBDR through the forests,
and even the awesome beginning of the Desert from the South up to Christmas Valley......

......You crazy fuggers can have that 130+ mile section of NOTHING but sand and sage from Christmas Vally up to Riley.
My 990 and me will remember to very gladly slab around that section of Oregon's hell at just under light speed every freaking time
Call me crazy, but I love being in the middle of no where, even if it is just sand and sage. Best part was when the antelope were running parallel to us at about 30 mph (if I'm remembering the right stretch of "middle of no where").
JDRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #33
JDRobin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHo View Post
Well the night riding was actually not that bad, so sure I could do more, bring it on. For some reason it seemed easier than riding at night in Baja. Think because I had decent goggles and a pretty decent light made a difference. Harp63 did not think my light was that bright over the stock KTM light but think it was just bright enough over the stock light to make a difference. I had no problem seeing and keeping the speed at around 35 to 40 which is not too bad.
After the grueling heat of the day, I enjoyed it. We could have rabbit for dinner!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #34
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRobin View Post
After the grueling heat of the day, I enjoyed it. We could have rabbit for dinner!
And that was ALMOST our only option!!!

OK, I need to get back on this RR. More posting this weekend.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #35
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Back to the story…

It’s Saturday morning. Looks like it is going to be a great day.

We were all running with the Giant Loop Mojavi bag. Was the first time for me to use it. Most of our off road treks are motel to motel as I am getting old and prefer to travel light and have a shower at night. Used to carry everything I needed on my back but not any more. This bag is the shiz for this kind of riding. Took the pressure off my back and I almost didn’t know it was there! I got mine from Brian at Atomic Moto. Thanks Brian!

Cup of coffee, a Clif bar and we are on our way. Café doesn’t open until 9 and we have a long day ahead of us. The plan is for 240 miles with a couple stops at Petroglyph Lake and at the Hart Mountain hot springs.

Silver Lake to Paisley, 80 miles.
Paisley to Plush, 65 miles.
Plush to Fields, 105 miles.

Shortly out of Silver Lake one of the areas I hadn’t been was to the top of Hager Mtn. Here we arrive at almost the top to a locked gate.

Then we roll out and find a cool jeep trail down. No pics of it but next time I’ll ride it up instead of down. More fun that way.

Heading south I wanted to ride as much new area as possible. Dale was in the lead and did a great job navigating when the planned route was not possible. We were making good time until south of Fremont Point when we started encountering blown down trees from winter and it was clear that we were the first through the area this year.

Here’s Summer Lake taken from just below Slide Mtn.

And Robin at the same spot.

Up to this point we had crossed a half dozen blow downs, none of them giving us too much grief. But I know how far it is to Paisley from here and am worried that the blow downs will get worse…or maybe better? Who knows but we have a lot of miles to cover today and can’t afford too many time delays.

A portion of clear road.

One of the snarly messes we had to cross under.

About this time Dale and Don who were ahead of us less than a mile radio back saying they were up against a huge tree and trying to cross it. Great! Robin and I arrived as Dale was crossing it. We all had trouble except him. Now I’m concerned that we are going to get almost all the way out of the forest and encounter the last tree that is impassable forcing us to turn around and double back through who knows what to take an alternate route. The things that go through your mind.

We cross over or go under several more within the next portion of a mile until we reach the cut off to the Slide Mtn viewpoint. Dale is still in the lead and out of sight. I move into 2nd position passing Don and within a few hundred feet I see a huge cougar cross the path ahead of me, the largest one I’ve ever seen. Now I’m worried about Dale. What if he’s stuck up ahead crossing a tree? What if the cougar has him in his cross hairs? The things that go through your mind!

I eventually catch up with Dale and we spend the next hour banging through or around or over blow downs and expending tons of energy. Finally we break out of the tangled mess and drop down into Paisley.

Here’s a pic from up top looking down on town.

Stop in town for fuel and decide we ought to get some real food after the morning workout. We all talked and loosely figured we crossed at least 30 blowdowns; some were easy, most were doable with some effort and a few were an outright PITA.

We are behind schedule but hopefully we can make it up on the next leg, a 65 mile cruise to Plush.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #36
Harp_63
Just Ride

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post

About this time Dale and Don who were ahead of us less than a mile radio back saying they were up against a huge tree and trying to cross it. Great! Robin and I arrived as Dale was crossing it. We all had trouble except him.
While it appeared I had no problem crossing the large tree I think it is my willingness to just crack the throttle when I feel something not going my way. I have discovered that this method results in you appearing to be a good rider and knowing what you are doing 80% of the time, the other 20% is always disastrous. When I crossed the log I felt the rear tired starting to slip down the log and over the embankment, crank the throttle and the tire slides a little more but finally grabs and launches me back onto the road. This was one of the 80% times. However as I rode away I could hear something that was not right... stopped to check out the bike and my kickstand was dragging the ground. The rough slide on the log has somehow broken part of my kickstand and the springs were also missing. Luckily KTM mounts this nifty bungee there to hold up your kickstand.

Greg has to take the lead since this blow down is such an issue the front guy has to get off and break branches... which is not an easy task when your kickstand is not operating properly.

I will loose more parts from the bike later in the ride report... This was an tough ride for man and machine...
Harp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #37
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harp_63 View Post
...crank the throttle and the tire slides a little more but finally grabs and launches me back onto the road...
And digs a HUGE trough for the rest of us!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #38
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Wink Traction...

Quote:
And digs a HUGE trough for the rest of us!
He removed all the bark from the blow down so we no longer had any traction when we tried to cross it. Thats my story and I am sticking with it.
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #39
JDRobin
Adventurer

That log sucked, I thought for sure I was headed down the hill. But my real beef is with the limb that caught my visor and gave me whip lash going around log number 27. That must have been hillarious to watch. I started out as a beginner when it comes to getting over trees, but I leveled up to Intermediate before we got through it!

Greg at Summer Lake, before we hit the log jam. I think he didn't ham for the camera because he's hearing the "trees down ahead" report on the radio when I took the shot.

JDRobin screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 11:23 PM Reason: I can't spell!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #40
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRobin View Post
Greg at Summer Lake, before we hit the log jam. I think he didn't ham for the camera because he's hearing the "trees down ahead" report on the radio when I took the shot.

And beginning to slowly pucker the seat into dark places knowing how long we have to go until Paisley!!! Yikes!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #41
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Out of Paisley we cook along at a pretty good pace heading east over the north end of Lake Abert. We cross over Hwy 395 and find what is left of an old wagon road that hadn’t seen a motorized vehicle in tens of years. It intersects with the main gravel road. Here’s looking back at the good part of the two track.

And where it continues off to the north.

We arrive in Plush to refuel and rehydrate.

Love these small towns.

And this little guy walks up to me, sticks out his hand and introduces himself as “Big Rider” and proceeds to tell me everything I need to know, and I mean, everything. Our conversation was entertaining but he out spoke me 10 to one easily. I was just amazed how articulate and well mannered this little four year old was.

Daylight’s burning so we make for Hart Mountain.

Always amazed at large bodies of water in the desert.

Heading north up the grade to Hart Mountain.

Wanted to see the petroglyphs at Petroglyph Lake. The lake is about a mile and a half off the main road. We had to park the bikes and walk in.

It was hot and the air dead still. Here’s the lake and path that lead to the petroglyphs which are somewhere in the rock cliffs in the distance.

Somewhere in these cliffs.

We split up and find a couple different sets. Don and Robin found a bunch. These are the ones I saw. They actually show up better in the pictures than they did in person.

Not knowing a whole lot about them it was interesting to speculate their origins, how old they are, what life was like back then, etc. as we got cooked in the mid day sun on the walk back to the bikes.

Backtrack to the main road we are about 6 miles from the hot springs. Running short on time but feeling like a soak and a smoke is in order we venture that direction.

Chatted with a family from Lakeview then a few cars from somewhere pulled up and a bunch of late middle agers showed up and headed for the pool. Not sure if they were going to stay clothed or not we stuck with our intuition and rolled out.

The route from here took us a few miles south then we turned east and rode the Black Canyon toward Beatty’s Butte.

Find this road marker. Reads “Oregon Central Military Wagon Road 1864”.

Beatty’s Butte in the distance.

Notice the position of the sun in the sky to the west. It is probably 5 pm at this point. We had no idea what lie ahead of us at this point.

Well, there was a lot of beautiful scenery before we would find out!

Notice the sun, getting lower.

Many times the trail would nearly disappear!

At this point we were about to embark on a rough 30 mile trail treasure hunt that burned daylight, water and valuable fuel. Had we known what we found out later we could have simply made a right hand turn here and saved 25 of those miles but would have surely missed the adventure!

More…

Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #42
JDRobin
Adventurer

Petro What?

I think it was Sunday morning when we ran into a group of college kids working on a "dig" somewhere (maybe Greg remembers where). Anyway, they said the real petroglyphs have a red petina over them. The white ones are vandalism. If you look close, you can see the red ones. I took off walking in all my gear except my helmet and gloves thinking these things were just down the hilI. Two quarts of sweat later, we found them! It never felt so good to get back on the bike and get moving again.

You can see the petroglyph under the white stick man vandalism.

I believe this one to be vandalism, but it was funny looking.

JDRobin screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 12:07 AM
Old 08-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #43
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Hey, did any of you get the pic of the ADV salute petroglyph?

I recall it was in red petina...
Old 08-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #44
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Shhh

Quote:

At this point we were about to embark on a rough 30 mile trail treasure hunt that burned daylight, water and valuable fuel. Had we known what we found out later we could have simply made a right hand turn here and saved 25 of those miles but would have surely missed the adventure!

More…

Yeah and also surely missed out on the fuel, if ya know what I'm sayun
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #45
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

We were now on East Road Gulch on the east side of Beatty’s Butte heading east (wow, that was a lot of “easts”) and connecting back up on the Old Military Road. This would take us to the rim above the Catlow Valley where we would drop down into the valley and follow it south and a bit east to Fields. All of this from the hot springs was new territory for me but I was fairly confident that the route went through as there were a two sets of semi fresh dirt bike tracks in front of me most of the way.

About 8 miles from the “hindsight is 20-20 turn” we run smack dab into a locked Roaring Springs Ranch gate which blocked the Old Military Road right at the top of the rim. This is when the worry began to set in. I’ve ridden out here enough to know that the ranch owns hundreds of thousands of acres and not all of it is contiguous and they are consistent with “no trespassing” signs and locked gates. It is a checkerboard maze of private and public lands.

We review the BLM map. The objective is to get down off the rim to the road below but there doesn’t appear to be any other way…and if we were to get down to the valley there is no guarantee we won’t run into another locked gate.

Decisions…

Considering we are out of/low on water, low on fuel and daylight is waning, we decide to meander to the south and then east again following fence lines to find another way down. Getting close to the rim, Don and Dale hang back to conserve fuel while Robin and I forge ahead.

On arrival at the rim it is crystal clear to me that there was absolutely no way down the 500 foot cliff. About a mile and a half to the south there is a road coming up Coyote Gap from below that may be a possible exit point but would certainly involve a steep bush wacking decent as the road terminates part way up the cliff. There’s another roadless canyon closer that we decide to take a look to see if there was any way down through the wash. The riding at this point is slow and fuel consuming as we roll over boulders in first or second gear.

Cresting slightly over the top of a grade we can see the wash and as the pitch of the descent changes the boulders get bigger. It’s late in the day, I’m out of water and worn out from rock crawling. I drop the bike a couple times and it is all I can do to dead lift it and swing my leg over the top. I am beat.

Robin takes a walk toward that canyon and radios back that there is no way to ride it; the rocks are too big and there’s a series of stair step mini cliffs just leading into the wash. I walk the other way to figure out an exit strategy; fortunately the pitch flattens and there is a relatively smooth and boulder-less exit out of the wash.

The plan now is to return to Don and Dale and figure out Plan B. The ride back to where they were was less than 1.5 miles but took at least 15 minutes as we rode directly into the sun and bush wacked over sage and gnarly old pucker brush. As I am riding I am thinking two things: are we going to spend the night in the desert…and, have humans ever touch the ground I was riding on. I felt some sort of strange satisfaction that we at least exhausted the option of getting down off the ridge but it came at a huge cost in both fuel and energy.

Back another mile or so we re convene and consult the map. Two options are clear. Either back track all the way around back to the intersection of East Gulch Rd and DL Spring Rd and head south on DL Spring (a known route) vs. bushwacking due west for a mile and connect with a road that appears on both the GPS and BLM map. Option 1 was 17 miles, 2 was 9. We went with option 2.

We jones it and find the old wagon road and connect with it where it basically dead-ends. Looks like there is seasonal water here and is probably used by ranchers to access their cattle as there would be absolutely no other reason on earth to be here…unless you are on the verge of being stranded like us!

It is well into dusk at this point. We agree to make the 8 or so mile ride out to what appears to be the main road, reassess the situation and prepare for a night ride.

What happens next is truly amazing and something I’ll never forget...