ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #46
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Is this when the aliens show up???
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #47
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Is this when the aliens show up???
I'll let you decide...working on next post now!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #48
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

I’m in the lead and arrive at the junction first. Because I am soooo fast [insert bullshit #1 emoticon here] I have time to start getting my gear in order for our night ride in the desert. I pull out my Moose quick coat and the BLM map. Want to double check with everyone that we are in concurrence with the plan.

A few minutes later Robin arrives…”you’re not gonna believe this" he says, "but…Dale went off track around that rocky corner (I nod “yes” but have no idea what he’s talking about) and tipped her over and some fuel he didn’t know about popped out of his pack.” At least that is what I heard!

WHAT? Fuel in his pack he didn’t know about? Dale and Don had been carrying about a half gallon each since the beginning of the trip (because their ktms don’t get quite the same mileage as ours…”fatter sea level” jets I am told [insert bullshit #2 emoticon here].” I have pictures of what is “fatter”. How did they have fuel they didn’t know about???

Robin and I wait…and wait…finally the D&D boys show up.

Dale gives me the scoop. The light is low and he pinballs off of some rocks on a corner way back and jettisons into the pucker brush and runs smack dab into a 5 gallon fuel container! A FIVE GALLON FUEL CONTAINER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NO WHERE. It has about 1.5 gallons of non stale fuel so they make the exec decision to permanently borrow it. They split the fuel between their two bikes.

I am in awe at this point. I had been worried for hours and knew we were likely to spend the night in the desert. None of us were quite sure what to say or think other than the words “Divine Intervention” kept coming up. Someone obviously stashed the fuel there (because it was on a road to nowhere we presume it was a rancher) but at this point we were just greatful to have extra fuel…at least enough to give us hope of reaching Fields tonight!!!

I thought about this the rest of the night…what are the odds of FINDING, much less CRASHING INTO stashed gasoline in the official center of Middle of Nowhere, Oregon?!!

More…
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #49
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

We now have hope. Not a promise, but hope. And that is good enough for me!

From here our plan is to head south and then east until we find Funnel Canyon road where we head north back to highway 205 where we jog back to the east and south for a slab ride into Fields.

We are not sure exactly how many miles it is to Fields and whether we have enough fuel to make it. From counting section squares on the map we guess around 50, which is 1.25 to 1.5 gallons per bike, depending on whether you have “fat” jets or not. Based on the number of miles and the kind of miles ridden since last fueling in Plush I know there is no way I have enough fuel and neither does Robin although he gets better mileage than I do. Don and Dale now have an extra 1.5 gallons between the two of them and will serve as the super tankers.

Robin had about an inch of water left in his bottle and gave it to me since I had been dry for several hours already. Thanks buddy!

Coated up with a plan to ride smooth and in high gear to conserve fuel we head out. To stick together and cut down on dust, Robin and I ride bar to bar and Dale and Don do the same behind us and make the two track into “single” track. It is approx 9:30 pm now and dark.

The “main” road we are on now is not exactly as main as I had hoped. I was expecting a wide smooth gravel road which was more about an increase in the possibility of automobile travel and finding fuel. But not to be. Although there was absolutely no sign of humanity, we found out quickly we weren’t alone; the desert comes alive in the cool of the night. I saw more jack rabbits and kangaroo shrews that night than I have collectively my entire life. Later we roughly counted a half dozen that we “thumped” along the way.

Semi-occupied by the nightlife as we ride I am half pondering the “Divine Intervention” and half rolling through contingency plans for the rest of the night ride. By finding a decent main road that appeared to take us where we needed to go AND miraculously finding fuel in the desert, a couple our initial problems had been solved but it still wasn’t clear if we had enough fuel to make it the added distance we needed to ride. It would get us further for sure and worst case would leave a shorter walk to find fuel in the morning if we needed to camp out for the night. Running through the very rough math in my head I was trying to calculate whether it was best (or possible) for all bikes to continue together or for two of us to take all the fuel and guarantee getting to Fields while the other two wait in the desert for the other two to return with fuel.

I never arrived at a clear answer. And so we rode.

Less than 15 miles after we left on the main road my bike sputters…I’m now on reserve. Ten or so miles later I am out. I tip the bike to transfer fuel to the petcock side and get a couple more miles out of it. I’m the first one to run out.

At least we are in Funnel Canyon heading north but there is no way to tell the condition of the road - whether it is improved and maintained or an old abandoned wagon trail.

Waiting for the super tankers to arrive here are a couple pics of Robin; one with flash and one without.

The super tankers arriving.

We transfer about a half gallon from Dale’s bike to mine. A few miles up the trail Robin is out and we do the same for his bike.

It turns out that Funnel Canyon is a nice enough road (a little rough for cars, but great for motos) that we can carry some speed. And, from what I could tell by my headlight bouncing off of the canyon walls, it would be a spectacular ride in the daylight.

In the distance I was ecstatic to see a pickup truck. Someone was camped out on the side of the trail. I’m sure he heard me roll up and I could tell he had been asleep but asked him quickly if he had fuel…diesel only. Didn’t think about water. A few miles more and we run into a couple trucks and tents. They greet us and have water! I downed a couple of those Costco bottles and chatted a bit. They told us we had another 12 miles to the pavement and then a stretch of 7 on the slab to Fields. They offered us fuel but we thought we had enough. Thanking them immensely, we rode on.

From here I don’t remember how many times we had to transfer fuel between the bikes but guessing it was at least 6 times. I ran out again on the slab and needed a sip from Don’s bike twice.

I’m in the lead and am the first to arrive in Fields running on fumes. I check my phone…it’s 11:58 pm. At this point I am grateful to be here!

The motel/store was closed due to a memorial service but they left us fuel, sandwich fixings, breakfast food, beer and even whiskey! Awesome, thanks sooo much!

We spent the next couple hours sitting around talking about the 295 mile day and counting our blessings. We are all completely spent. Adding up all the remaining fuel in the bikes we calculated that there was enough for all of us to ride maybe another four or five miles! Yikes!

Lights are out at 2 am.

Up early tomorrow for the 300 mile journey home.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #50
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Whiskey??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post

The motel/store was closed due to a memorial service but they left us fuel, sandwich fixings, breakfast food, beer and even whiskey! Awesome, thanks sooo much!

Hey that's right! Where did all that whiskey go? That was a nice set up... too bad we did not have time to indulge more in all the beverages and fixings. I was impressed how they kept our rooms wating for us....knowing we would probably be showing up late. Oh well, figured they must know Greg.
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #51
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:

The super tankers arriving.

Hmmm wonder which bike has the stock light vs the trail tech Halogen light
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #52
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHo View Post
Hey that's right! Where did all that whiskey go?

Well...

Ummm...

What whiskey?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #53
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Bright, but not so early we are up and tinkering with the bikes. Radiators and skid plates are packed with wheat grass.

With 300 miles ahead of us today the plan is to slab it from Fields to the southern Steens Mtn Loop road and see if we can make it to the top. Lots of pavement and high speed gravel and we arrive at the gate. Closed as I expected but it was a nice cruise in the cool morning air.

We back track to Frenchglen where we pay four fifty something a gallon for regular unleaded. Supply and demand ya know…

Back up the top of the hill out of Frenchglen there is a dirt road that peels off to the north. I had been on this five plus years ago and remember little about it. It had not been traveled much and was heavily rutted by the few trucks and jeeps that passed through over the late winter. The vegetation was tall and it was difficult to see the ruts; riding was slow and it was late morning and getting warm.

Pit stop up on top. Hot up here.

We arrive at an old homestead. I find out later is the M.S. Davies Ranch which for some reason is situated behind a locked gate on Jackass Creek. And yes, it looks like it is right out of the old west. We had planned continue due north which would put us on what the map showed as a “Jeep trail” but since it was new territory and we were more interested in cool air flow and high speed than potential rock crawling and jungle bush wacking we opted for a ride around that cost us a few more miles.

I must have missed a pic of the ranch or forgot to upload it but here is one looking north up the Jackass Creek canyon, the direction of the original route plan.

About 25 miles to the north we take a stop at this old homestead which is located just a couple miles south of Harney Lake in Weed Lake Flat.

The vegetation was the highest I’ve ever seen it.

Another 25 miles in the hills along the southern to western side of Harney Lake we head due west past the Double O Ranch. This is the Double O Flat. A fun place to horse around for awhile if you have time and extra fuel.

Iron Mountain

Here come the boys making dust near Lakebed Waterhole.

From here we continue to the northwest about 15 miles until we hit highway 395 then make a 5 mile slab run into Riley for fuel and a break. We are at 175 miles already for the day!

Up next (and last), the 125 mile run from Riley to Prineville.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #54
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,653
Free fuel in Funnel Canyon!?!?! You guys lucked out there for sure eh? I ran out of gas in Funnel and spent 5 hours in 110 degree summer sun waiting for my buddy to come back with gas. Much cooler at night for sure as that wall of BLACK BOULDERS reflects a lot of heat.

Good job!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #55
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Free fuel in Funnel Canyon!?!?! You guys lucked out there for sure eh? I ran out of gas in Funnel and spent 5 hours in 110 degree summer sun waiting for my buddy to come back with gas. Much cooler at night for sure as that wall of BLACK BOULDERS reflects a lot of heat.

Good job!
Actually the divine fuel discovery was north and west of Funnel quite a bit. It was east of Beatty's Butte on a dead end rocky wagon road. What a story!. Funnel was kinda spooky at night but kept us occupied playing tag with the jack rabbits. Looking forward to going back DURING the day and WITH gas!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #56
JDRobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Another perspective

Thought I’d throw out the story from another perspective…just for fun. I’ll pick up from the point of, how did Dale say it…“let the Munning begin”, aka the locked gate. I didn’t have a GPS on this trip, or a map for that matter, I was just following blind and really had no idea where we were. I’m thinking, locked gate? No worries, we’ll just go around and still be killing shots at the room by 7 or 8 at the latest (this was important because I had something to prove after Friday night). Then Greg pulls out a map…ok that’s not good (men don’t consult maps or ask for directions unless something is really bad). Then I actually look at the map. Guess I’ll have to wait for another time to prove I can handle more than three beers, a shot, and cigar without passing out and throwing up. Greg helped me forget about all that nonsense though, when he calmly mentions we don’t have enough fuel for any of the detours.

After much pondering about which route we want to run out of gas on, we take off along the fence line. After just a few minutes I pull up behind Greg who has stopped and is looking down a fence line toward the unseen valley floor and road we really wanted to be on. I’ll call this our point of “we’ve got to know.” It looks like a decent path along the fence, so we go for it, hoping it will drop down gradually. A minute later, the path is pretty much gone and we’re basically bush-wacking along the fence. We go a couple miles and stop. Looking ahead, it still looks like the fence line gradually drops down into the valley as we had hoped. Could it really be this easy? Don and Dale are skeptical and wisely decide to let Greg and I forge ahead. A mile or so later, Greg stops, and I quickly see why, it’s a shear drop. Looking at the map and the terrain, we decide to head toward a wash that might get us down to the “coyote gap”. The first mile isn’t so bad, but as we approach the wash the rocks grow larger and larger. Greg drops his bike once or twice and stops to hike down so we don’t get stuck and waste even more gas on this snipe hunt. It’s obvious the boulders are kicking Greg’s but, so I hike down instead. As I’m hopping from rock to rock (Insanity is the real deal, give it a try) making my way down I have my first real thought of camping out in the desert…which is quickly pushed aside with the thought of stepping on a snake. I hate snakes. I carefully pick my way down until I see that the wash only goes down part way and then drops about fifty feet. I’m sure there are riders that could do it, but sadly, not me, I’m no Mouse McCoy. I pick my way back, diligently avoiding several poisonous snakes I’m sure. I report to Greg and we radio back to Don and Dale and head back to the point of “we’ve got to know” which I now call “point of might as well add to the suspense.”

Lesson 8 Maps have contours for a reason.

At this point I figure out I’m the only one with any water left, which amounted to about a quarter of a water bottle. Lesson 9 Carry more water when riding in the desert in July.

We head out for the old wagon road and I get zealous and get out ahead of the others and don’t realize I’ve veered off path. I find a small lake looking area and a cow path that I initially mistake for a trail, and stop. Feeling pretty proud of myself, I turn to take credit for my find and instead of seeing a set of orange bikes, I see nothing but shadows growing in the setting sun. It’s dusk and I’m alone with no maps or GPS and can’t see or hear anyone.

Lesson 10 Get your own damn GPS and maps! (BTW, I have the GPS now and a SPOT )

I listen carefully. Eventually I hear the familiar cry of a KTM and head that direction, following my cow path of course. Cresting a small rise I see the three of them waiting for me. My own little 10 minute adventure ended quickly. Now back to the main adventure.
Greg heads out and I take second position with Dale and Don behind us. At this point I’m wondering at what point we should park two bikes and see if we can at least get two bikes to the hotel and the precious gasoline that was supposed to be there for us (remember the town is shut down until Monday). Of course, there was no guarantee the gas would actually be there. Or, depending on the condition of the road, all four of us could still end up sleeping in the desert, just in pairs. At this point I begin to formulate my stump speech…”I get the best gas mileage, therefore I should ride on…with your fuel in my tank.” Something tells me they wouldn’t have gone for that.

We come to a tee and Greg turns right and keeps hauling tale. I stop to wait for Dale. And wait. I take off my helmet and steal a sip of water and start taking stock of dry clothing, protein bars, raw almonds (thanks for that addiction Heath!), and start wondering where my matches are. Les Stroud’s “if you sweat you die” line keeps ringing in my head for some reason. I’m soaked to the skin in sweat still and hoping it dries before we run out of gas. Still waiting and I don’t hear a sound. Are they out of gas already? Crashed and injured? I’m starting to worry and ponder heading back. I know Greg and Don both have a Spot, but I also know we’re a long ways from help. After what seems like 15 minutes I hear a bike and soon Dale has pulled up. He says he lost control and went off the trail and ran smack into a jar full of manna from heaven…aka fresh fuel. “you’re jerkin my chain” is all I could say, repeatedly. No fricken way did this just happen. Dale points at his tank and it looks like he just stopped off at the Shell station.

I kept thinking they must have had more fuel stashed in their packs. They’d been warning me all day about “getting Munned” and “Munn miles” and that I should be carrying extra fuel too. So, after the fifth “you’re fuggen with me” and Dale assuring me that he wasn’t, we ride on.

It’s getting dark by the time I catch up to Greg who has stopped at the next junction and is pulling out his map again. I do a poor job trying to tell Greg what happened, I’m an engineer…things like this just don’t compute for me. Dale and Don pull up and tell the story, happily pointing at their fuel tanks as proof. Greg is in awe but still skeptical if we have enough gas to get us all back. Dale and Don are smiling, just a night ride for them now.

I spend the next five minutes trying to find my flash light while Greg studies the map. Finally, buried in the deep recesses of my pack, I find it. I take a last sip of water and offer the remains to the others. We head out and I finally get to see just how awesome my headlight is (Thanks Mike!). It’s awesome. I can see the gory details of the rabbit slaughter Greg is leaving in his wake.
The ride back was pretty much like any night ride...aside from it being at the end of a 295 mile day that started out with getting through a log jam, taking a mile hike in the mid day sun, and a dip in the hot springs. A day to remember… and suddenly I’m facing the wrong way with the bike on my leg and covered in dust. Daydreaming on a night ride tends to have that effect.

I ran out of gas twice on the way back, maybe it was three times. The last time Don told me to lay my bike over and see if it would start. Lesson 11 Lay bike down to get all the fuel through. Nice trick. While we were doing that, Greg flew on to the hotel. I came flying through next…and failed to realize I was entering, going through, or leaving a town!

Much thanks to the hotel for setting us up with food, gas, and most importantly…beer and whiskey.

A day to remember. I’m sure the story will only get better with time. (holy crap, this is way longer than I expected it to be)
JDRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #57
JDRobin
Adventurer

Quote:
I must have missed a pic of the ranch or forgot to upload it
Here is a shot of the ranch.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #58
JDRobin
Adventurer

We must have been suffering from serious fatigue to take this shot.

Yep, not happy with me at all. I failed to stop at a turn. Rookie move that I make sure not to repeat.

Where all mighty steads deserve to be, in the middle of no where.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #59
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Found a few extra pics that were out of order…

Cleaning out wheat grass build up in Fields after our night bush wacking ride.

That’s the rim in the distance that we found ourselves on top of with no way down.

Slabbage on the way from Fields to Steens.

No can do at the Loop road.

Store in Frenchglen.

Blazin’ hot on top of the rim out of Frenchglen.

Here’s the ranch behind a locked gate.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #60
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

We roll into Riley for our last pit stop and get the customary “what in the world are you doing?” looks from folks fueling their cars and RVs. There was one dad with his young sons that were in awe of dirt bikes (atta boy!) and always fun to see their expression when you ask if they want to sit on the bike!

The two best parts of the Riley stop this time were standing in the direct path of the air conditioner in the store and the chocolate on chocolate Dove ice cream bar (great suggestion, Robin)!

Out of Riley we slab westward about 14 miles until we hit dirt and cut off to the north on OBDR Route 5 toward the Potato Hills. For about 10 miles the road (if that is what you call it) is a mix between old two track wagon trail with imbedded baby heads to what resembles a washed out creek bed full of lava boulders. Not bad on a reasonably sized dirt bike heading north but I would not want to tackle it on a big bore heading south. Many ride reports describe this section as “hell” especially if you are on a 990 or BMW GS.

Here’s one of the still standing OBDR route markers. Placed here at least ten years ago when the state was sponsoring backcountry travel as a way to encourage tourism in remote areas in Central and Eastern Oregon…that is, until the e-zealots used the court system to block the good effort.

Here’s a short video from a 2001 OPB Oregon Field Guide broadcast on the backcountry route. Interesting…

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1410

The last portion of the trail is the worst. I drop down to the bottom of this and wait for the fellas. No motor sounds. Wait. Wait. Wondering if they are out of radio contact and if I should ride back. Really not interested in riding back up that mess. Finally I hear from Dale. Robin has a flat and they will be about 30 minutes.

Looking north, the direction we are heading.

I have some time on my hands and think I’ll try to take a nap. Find a comfy place in the shade to relax.

My mind wanders…but before dozing off it wanders a little too far. I’m now thinking about snakes and scorpions and that big cougar from a couple days ago. I’m now on high alert.

Finally the rumble of the KTMs. Here comes Robin down that mess of a hill road.

After that most of the road looked like this. We covered a lot of ground quickly.

Eighty miles later we are at the reservoir.

From here it is about a 20 slab cruise through the Crooked River canyon to finish the trip.

840 miles we arrive back at my house where we started 3 days earlier. It was a great ride with great friends and a great adventure!