ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #61
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
That's a whole lotta miles per day, men . Wow.
Low fuel, low water; what an adventure !!

Big litrebike trailies can suck out there on some of those roads (roads??), fer sure......
but we can CARRY ALL of those supplies that were thankfully waiting for you at the motel
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #62
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
but we can CARRY ALL of those supplies that were thankfully waiting for you at the motel
AND enough fuel!!!

BTW, are you attending the Run to the Cascades rally in Prineville? See www.runtothecascades.com. This is an ALL moto rally (including ds/adv/non-plated bikes). I've published 3 sweet day routes for the ds/adv crowd (Sisters, Post-Brothers and Mitchell) and one of several OHV areas for the non plated bikes.
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #63
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
AND enough fuel!!!

BTW, are you attending the Run to the Cascades rally in Prineville? See www.runtothecascades.com. This is an ALL moto rally (including ds/adv/non-plated bikes). I've published 3 sweet day routes for the ds/adv crowd (Sisters, Post-Brothers and Mitchell) and one of several OHV areas for the non plated bikes.
I'll be at WetFest, so it's close enough to make a day-trip to ride wityas.
Is one of those DS routes wifey-friendly (n00b on a DR200) ?
She likes rocky dirt roads, to a point.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #64
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
I'll be at WetFest, so it's close enough to make a day-trip to ride wityas.
Is one of those DS routes wifey-friendly (n00b on a DR200) ?
She likes rocky dirt roads, to a point.
Yes, for sure. The Prineville to Post to Brothers to Prineville would be perfect. Enough gravel/dirt to make it fun w/enough paved to make it comfortable. Beautiful scenery too. Email or PM me and I'll send you all the routes. Feel free to share them with the WetFesters.

Greg

BTW, if you are going to make only one of the rally days make it Saturday morning. Ride in the Freedom parade then head out for a loop ride. Stop by our booth if you can...we are raffling off a 3 day tour and a couple Giant Loop bags and shirts and such. All proceeds going to help fund the community match portion of the brand new COCC/OSU Crook County Open Campus.
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #65
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I suspect two things regarding this fine ride report . 1. The gas found was left there by the "baja unabomber". 2. You fags, while being "munned" and lost in the middle of Oregon ended up doing some of this again but are not man enough to admit it!

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 AM   #66
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Will that picture ever die?!!! Proof that what happens in the desert stays in the desert...unless your "buddy" has a digital camera.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #67
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,640
>"Will that picture ever die?!!! Proof that what happens in the desert stays in the desert...unless your "buddy" has a digital camera."

Damn... looks like some are asleep... but 1 is freezing.
Nobody had any matches... or was there nothing to burn anyway?
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #68
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Hmmmm...Missing Fuel?

Great story of a hairy ride....cutting the margin a little close..but that is why it is called an 'adventure'!

Question: Is there some guy desiccating out there in the sagebrush because the fuel he stashed to get home was purloined?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #69
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Great story of a hairy ride....cutting the margin a little close..but that is why it is called an 'adventure'!

Question: Is there some guy desiccating out there in the sagebrush because the fuel he stashed to get home was purloined?
Yah I know, I was there, and it felt soooo right at the time to grab the fuel. Now, having time to reflect, it still seemed right . Actually we were so elated to find fuel it really never even crossed our minds, at least not mine, and that is the God's honest truth.

Hopefully there isn't some poor solo adventure rider out there, hot, tired, and stranded because that really would suck.... just ask the guys in the ditch pix what it feels like. Yep, was on that little adventure also... come to think about it, three of the guys who were either in the ditch or involved in putting them in the ditch pix were on this ride....hmmmmm.

Famous Humunn quote: "Okay so you guys should just give us all your fuel, this way at least two of us can get to town and return with more fuel. It's no big deal, it wont take too long and besides you have a nice warm ditch to snuggle in"...
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #70
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHo View Post
come to think about it, three of the guys who were either in the ditch or involved in putting them in the ditch pix were on this ride....hmmmmm.

Is it just me or am I seeing a trend here?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #71
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:

Ya know I did think about that quite a bit at first. Seemed to me to be one of the "sacred agreements" between off roaders..."If it is wet and not yours then don't touch it" sort of thing.

But...where we found it was miles down a dead end road, not anywhere where a rider would hide it. Best guess is that it was stashed there by a rancher running cattle out near what appeared to be a seasonal water hole. And, somehow, that made "borrowing" the fuel ok.

ALL PART OF THE ADVENTURE!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #72
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Talking No Criticism..

Quote:
Ya know I did think about that quite a bit at first. Seemed to me to be one of the "sacred agreements" between off roaders..."If it is wet and not yours then don't touch it" sort of thing.

But...where we found it was miles down a dead end road, not anywhere where a rider would hide it. Best guess is that it was stashed there by a rancher running cattle out near what appeared to be a seasonal water hole. And, somehow, that made "borrowing" the fuel ok.

ALL PART OF THE ADVENTURE!!!
I know you recognized that I was not being critical....in all honesty I would have used the stashed fuel...it boils down to "doing what needs to be done" and always remembering the Law of the Limits; whatever crucial item that you run out of first becomes the limiter and controlling factor...it was obviously fuel.

Is it possible to return and put some fuel back? I know on the surface that sounds absurd and perhaps impossible. I don't use a GPS but I am down at the Steens next week on my GSA. If I could find the can, I could easily siphon out the 1.5 gallons you guys used [filling my 9 gallon tank first of course]...that assumes that I could ride my big bike to where the can is...hell, I love a good quest!

Again, two thumbs up for a great adventure ride and report.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #73
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
I know you recognized that I was not being critical....in all honesty I would have used the stashed fuel...it boils down to "doing what needs to be done" and always remembering the Law of the Limits; whatever crucial item that you run out of first becomes the limiter and controlling factor...it was obviously fuel.

Is it possible to return and put some fuel back? I know on the surface that sounds absurd and perhaps impossible. I don't use a GPS but I am down at the Steens next week on my GSA. If I could find the can, I could easily siphon out the 1.5 gallons you guys used [filling my 9 gallon tank first of course]...that assumes that I could ride my big bike to where the can is...hell, I love a good quest!

Again, two thumbs up for a great adventure ride and report.
No worries Phil! If you are up for a little adventure I would spot you the $$$ and tell you about where it is at. If nothing else it would be a fun day rid out of Fields. If you are in for that shoot me a PM and we can talk!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #74
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Done!

Quote:
No worries Phil! If you are up for a little adventure I would spot you the $$$ and tell you about where it is at. If nothing else it would be a fun day rid out of Fields. If you are in for that shoot me a PM and we can talk!
Just sent a PM with my email address....

Phil
Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #75
JDRobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Check the tube bag

My last lesson for the trip, never assume anything. Getting back to my first posts, I got a pinch flat near the end of the trip. While Greg was napping, I was discovering that what I thought was a spare front tube that came with my bike turned out to be some sort of mini-bike tube. I never pulled it out of the fender bag to check...oops. Luckily Dale was willing to part with his spare tube. Thanks man!

JDRobin is offline   Reply With Quote