ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 347
Deal's Gap...minor disappointment

So after reading up on the gap I finally rode it yesterday on the DR. It was a top-notch piece of road, certainly challenging but not really any more so than some roads we have in SC. For instance US-276 between Bald Rock and Caesar's Head is great (although admittedly the tar is in rougher shape than 129). US-178 between Rocky Bottom and Rosman is another great road. Although it can be crowded on the weekends, it's certainly not any worse than the Gap. There are more drivewys in some spots though.

Perhaps if I set up with a booth and camera in one of those places...

I did ride and have fun and will undoubtedly do it again. If any of you were up there yesterday between 5 and 6 PM and you saw a white n' blue DR with a rebel flag stuck on the front scraping pegs on the turns, that was me.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
pacadermng67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I dont know, I rode it a week ago and had an absolute blast. I had more fun on that road than the Cherohala Skyway, Beartooth Highway, CA - 1, and VA 16. While all of those roads have good qualities and are unique, I thought Deal's Gap was something special. Maybe it was just the day I happened to ride all of those other roads, but I was able to get in a very nice rhythm going curve after curve. The only road I have had as much fun on is CA -3 up in Northern California. I was able to get in the same rhythm out there as well.
Until them I roam
pacadermng67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,097
The Dragon sucks. It is way over-rated and everyone should stay away. Go ride the Dixie Highway or something.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 550
I agree that the Dragon is a major bust. There are so many roads in the area that blow it away and have no where near the publicity. If you need a tour guide hit me up. I would be glad to show you some great, low traffic roads that make you forget what the Dragon is. Whenever someone mentions the Dragon I laugh and thin about what a poser they must be.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 61,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
The Dragon sucks. It is way over-rated and everyone should stay away. Go ride the Dixie Highway or something.
so are all roads in VA

PB
Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post
so are all roads in VA

PB
Especially 16 from Tazwell to Marion and 58 around Grayson. They REALLY suck. The Blue Ridge Parkway is MUCH better, stay on it.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Damit

You're a liar Jocassee, The Dragon is the bestest and all MC riders who are anyone will go there to prove themselves! Thereby tying up all law enforcement officials in the area and leaving virtually no traffic on the other roads. To help others along I will continue to spread the good word of The Dragon far and wide!

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
So after reading up on the gap I finally rode it yesterday on the DR. It was a top-notch piece of road, certainly challenging but not really any more so than some roads we have in SC. For instance US-276 between Bald Rock and Caesar's Head is great (although admittedly the tar is in rougher shape than 129). US-178 between Rocky Bottom and Rosman is another great road. Although it can be crowded on the weekends, it's certainly not any worse than the Gap. There are more drivewys in some spots though.

Perhaps if I set up with a booth and camera in one of those places...

I did ride and have fun and will undoubtedly do it again. If any of you were up there yesterday between 5 and 6 PM and you saw a white n' blue DR with a rebel flag stuck on the front scraping pegs on the turns, that was me.
I love going up and down all the roads that connect SC11 and US64 in NC. You left off 130/281. It might be my favorite. Speed on the 130 section can roll on up there...
Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldburg View Post
I love going up and down all the roads that connect SC11 and US64 in NC. You left off 130/281. It might be my favorite. Speed on the 130 section can roll on up there...
I've done 130/281 many, many times in the car, which is fun enough, but on the bike it's magic. The curves on 130 are just tight enough to make it fun but most are wide enough that you don't have to scrub off speed.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
Been there, got the T-shirt. Not bad except for the traffic. If I'm back through there I'm sure I'll run across it but I can't imagine going there just for that road. There are too many other roads just as good or better way closer.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Quote:
Especially 16 from Tazwell to Marion and 58 around Grayson. They REALLY suck. The Blue Ridge Parkway is MUCH better, stay on it.

421 is just as bad .....

PB
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Been there, got the T-shirt. Not bad except for the traffic. If I'm back through there I'm sure I'll run across it but I can't imagine going there just for that road. There are too many other roads just as good or better way closer.

try Wed around 9am

PB
Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
This should be added to the "Why I Hate Virginia" thread.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Chazzman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
It's a little more challenging on my GL1800 than, than my V-Strom... There are many better roads even in that.

Check out the below video... If it doesn't work Google: Yellowwolf rides the dragon, pretty cool if you haven't seen it.

area.http://youtu.be/0nrMQ3QwyPo
Attached Images

Chazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
the one thing the DRAGON has that all the other good roads don't have is squids in your lane. i've had cars in my lane there and they did not present a problem or me. but the squids in my lane are riding way above their skill level and cannot control their speed. i hate to admit that i live in Florida because of the Florida boy reputation up there, but I have never heard any sportbike rider in Fla brag about riding the dragon without somehow including the details of his crash.