ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
CapoGreg
Felonious Helmet Cam

Oddometer: 614
The Dragon is OK, but like many other have said, there are a lot of better roads in the area. That being said, most of the other roads are relatively unknown so the Dragon's publicity makes it a destination for riders from out of the area who want to ride an easy-to-find place.

2006 Aprilia Caponord "L'Altra Donna"
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S "Bear"
1978 Yamaha DT 125E "Pig Pen"
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Kawasaki Mule 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzirider
The GS is, on paper, a better bike, but I don't buy bikes made of paper.
Save $5 on SmugMug account with code: L4im8C7MUjvgQ
CapoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #17
Mike OD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
NC 226A and 209 -- for me, more technical than the Dragon, but I'm old and slow anyway.
Mike OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
Angry Wookie
Running On Fumes

Oddometer: 223
The Dragon was fun to do once, but I've definitely ridden better, less crowded roads. So many roads to ride, so little time
Old 07-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
For me its hard to beat 28 around the lake. Smooth pavement, high speed, off camber corners... I love it. Tellico and Robinsville has good food and motorcycle friendly places plus the camp grounds and the primitive areas. The fishing, the old growth forest in Joyce Kilmer, the rafting down on 64... You miss so much just riding through.

When I go up to Robinsville, Deals Gap is not the high light. Although it is not crowded at all on the week days after 5pm. Its rather empty with cars, just a few bikes here and there. Many times I'll run it at 5:30 pm and never see another bike. I like to ride 129 through the gap in the evenings as the sun is going down. Very light traffic, little police too. Lots of great roads around there. I mix up the forestry roads in with 143 and the John Brown back through GA on dirt down to Ft. Mountain to see pavement again and back across to Alabama. Its a great two or three day ride. Some times I'll head down through Highlands down War Woman back through 60... But, the Cherohala provides relief during the summer so, I make it my main point and choose different paths to get there!

I also like Marion, VA as a base too. Lots of cool county roads up there. The best pavement has always been Western NC though. If Cruso NC, wasn't so far I would stay up there more often. I love the Southern portion of the BRP. When I lived in Morganton, NC I was on 181 just below the BRP. After work I would blast up 181 to the BRP or 221 and loop back on 180 and sneak through the little roads, some gravel back to 181 and them home. Many times at 6am. I would still venture over to Hot Springs and 215 or head north through Boone and hang out in Marion or hungry Mother SP and ride 16 up till I got tired. All of the Appalachians are great motorcycle roads. I just change it up with alternating favorite stops... Now that I'm in AL I don't go as often, that run across Rome GA sucks... I'm 106 miles till Ft. Mountain or about 120 to 18 into the forest. This time a year I avoid riding across there in 100 degree temps. Come on fall.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 07-23-2011 at 11:37 AM
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #20
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post
so are all roads in VA

PB

And WV
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
The Cherohala Skyway's a great place to cool off when it's warm in the valley.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
Rocking-M
DuckCowboy

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Especially 16 from Tazwell to Marion and 58 around Grayson. They REALLY suck. The Blue Ridge Parkway is MUCH better, stay on it.
ditto! while were at it, stay off route 8, route 40 to Rocky Mount, highway 42 to Newcastle, or any roads in that area.
the BRP is much much better.

Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
Rocking-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #23
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
US-178 between Rocky Bottom and Rosman is another great road. Although it can be crowded on the weekends, it's certainly not any worse than the Gap. There are more drivewys in some spots though.

Perhaps if I set up with a booth and camera in one of those places...
You're too late!

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/gallery/8042713_cMP3H
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
We have some very twisty roads here in Ohio (southeast part of the state), but the one thing that seemed to set the Dragon apart for me was that for that entire 11 miles... there are no roads, driveways, houses, businesses, etc. We have some twisty roads here, but they are mostly through residential areas and you have to deal with side streets, driveways, and so on.

But ya, I gotta agree, the Dragon is way overcrowded. I avoid it entirely on weekends... best time to go is early or late on a weekday.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
I agree that the Dragon is a major bust. There are so many roads in the area that blow it away and have no where near the publicity. If you need a tour guide hit me up. I would be glad to show you some great, low traffic roads that make you forget what the Dragon is. Whenever someone mentions the Dragon I laugh and thin about what a poser they must be.
Well allrighty then.

TL Chacifer and I have declared that our 2011 moto vacation will be dubbed the "Engagement Tour" and we're taking off, just the two of us for 10 days starting Friday.

We have no plan other than to meet some friends at Willville Saturday night and we have an invitation in Knoxville.

We want to ride the Dragon just because and we want to spend an afternoon at Hot Springs.

So my questions are as follows:

Good campground or "value priced" resort near Deal's Gap and some great roads? I'd like to find a place for Sun-Tuesday or even a little longer.

Great roads that aren't tourist traps and a day ride from selected camp.

Great places to eat or even better catch some live music although we'll probably visit Knoxville toward the end of the week for this.

Thanks!
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #26
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,968
Iron Horse or Kickstand Lodge
Old 07-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #27
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,066
I prefer Crawford's (http://www.crawfordsattellico.com/page9.html).
Danny (the owner) is an active ADV member, a great guy and a helluva tour guide. If you stay there he might be willing to show you around if he has time.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S

MrTwisty screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 03:34 PM
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #28
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
The Dragon sucks. It is way over-rated and everyone should stay away. Go ride the Dixie Highway or something.

Yer avatar says otherwise.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #29
GSAGURU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
i agree the dragon is a bust ... been goin for 30 yrs gets worse every time // i dont even ride the road anymore there are way better and a whole lot less crowded ones to ride and less cops too
GSAGURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #30
NCredneck
Banned

Oddometer: 353
All the roads around here suck, stay in Florida, and all your other flat states. You guys have it good.
NCredneck is offline   Reply With Quote