ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Youngje13 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
09 Stelvio or 11 KTM 990 Adv?

I'm trying to decide on my next bike and would like some help from anyone with first-hand knowledge of either one. I have an opportunity to get a 2009 Guzzi Stelvio leftover for a great price from a reputable dealer (recall work has been done and it's been remapped, etc.). I love the bike but have two major concerns:
  1. The closest reputable dealer is over 6 hours away
  2. I want to be able to ride more than compact fire roads, even if only on occasion

The other bike I like is the 2011 KTM 990 Adventure. We have a local dealer (don't know how reputable... I live in Bend, Oregon). I love the bike, but I'm not sold on it's on-road comfort, and that will be 85% of my riding (I'm 6'4"+, so ergonomics are always tough). I'm also not a mechanic, although I'm willing to put in the time to figure it out.

Can anyone let me know their experience with the Stelvio off road or the newer 990s on road for long distance?

Thanks for the help!
Youngje13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 769
Does the Stelvio have the NTX rear rim (150 size tire) or the wide rim with the 180?

The narrower NTX rim and a good aggressive 150 tire will work much better off road. I don't find the stock Pirelli Sync's or the Triail to be all that good in loose gravel.

I think the Katoom is lighter, but probably not all that much. I also think the Guzzi is probably an easier bike to maintain on your own.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the Guzzi dealer being 6 hours away. Once it's set up properly, there won't be much need to go there anyway.

I've done 700+ mile days on my Stelvio and been quite comfortable. It is a very good touring bike in that regard. I have yet to do any real demanding off road work on it yet, but am hoping to do some this fall. I have done some fire road type stuff and it was as good as I would expect a 500+ lb bike with street tires to be.

I have ordered the narrower rim and have a pair of Shinko 705's waiting to go on. I should have a much better idea of it's off road ability then.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648

WitchCityBallabio screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 04:29 PM
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
So.. you want to be able to do stuff more like this? The KTM will be more able off road than the Stelvio but I haven't found her limits yet. I do have the Shinko's on her (NTX rim).... much better than the pirelli's off the tarmac.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Youngje13 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
So.. you want to be able to do stuff more like this? The KTM will be more able off road than the Stelvio but I haven't found her limits yet. I do have the Shinko's on her (NTX rim).... much better than the pirelli's off the tarmac.
Yeah, that's what I'm looking to do. I'm not planning on taking on tons of single track, just want to have fun off the tarmac.

As for the rear wheel, not sure which one it has, but that should be an easy fix if it's not the NTX rim.

Forgot to mention that my other option is a 2005 KTM 950 for a few grand less. Just not sure I need that much of an off-road warrior.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 535
I have ridden both and now own a GS1150 Adventure. The Guzzi is the hot ticket if you want road worthiness and the ability to do light offroad. If you swap the rear to a narrower width you cant get a bit more aggressive offroad and still have the nice comfort features on road, not possible on the KTM. IMHO the KTM begs to be ridden hard all the time which takes it toll on long rides. I prefer to be able to rip when I want and lug it when I want and not be coerced into either. My vote is the Guzzi and a narrower rim. My neighbor rides the Guzzi and even with the stock rim he has taken it places that most folks wont go. Once it gets slick though the tires choices on the stock rim are limited. Two rear rims might be the best option, sure would like to have them on my GS. Here is a picture of my neighbor.

By the way we have a local dealer here in GA that blows them out for great prices. Might help in your negotiations. Check out Riders Hill in Dahlonega, GA. Talk to Dave.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Youngje13 OP
Adventurer

Riders Hill

Thanks for the tip on Riders Hill. I just sent them an email. Price is a couple hundred higher, but they have a 2010, which piques my interest.

Sounds like the Stelvio with the narrower rim and more aggressive tires is the way to go. I love the looks and it's obvious that it won't have problems in the dirt even if it's not going to fly by a KTM any time soon (which is just fine with me).
Old 07-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngje13 View Post
Thanks for the tip on Riders Hill. I just sent them an email. Price is a couple hundred higher, but they have a 2010, which piques my interest.

Sounds like the Stelvio with the narrower rim and more aggressive tires is the way to go. I love the looks and it's obvious that it won't have problems in the dirt even if it's not going to fly by a KTM any time soon (which is just fine with me).

They are a great place that gives great deals. I know some of the people around there and they are hard core riders and they great folks that tell it like it is. They got me a great deal on my GS and gave my neighbor a great deal on his stelvio. He added the caribou cases and added an MSR bottle for added fuel range. The Stelvio is a sleep that looks great and is alot more maintenance friendly than the KTM. Taking two tanks off to do any maintenance is a PIA IMHO. Yes, they out perform most bikes in the offroad dept, but that is not what I am after. I want day in and day out reliability whether its off or on road I want to know that I can make it to where I am going and yes the GS and Stelvio will slide the back tire and wheelie, but its doesnt beg for it all the time. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I live only 10 min, by dirt from Riders Hill.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Youngje13 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
They are a great place that gives great deals. I know some of the people around there and they are hard core riders and they great folks that tell it like it is. They got me a great deal on my GS and gave my neighbor a great deal on his stelvio. He added the caribou cases and added an MSR bottle for added fuel range. The Stelvio is a sleep that looks great and is alot more maintenance friendly than the KTM. Taking two tanks off to do any maintenance is a PIA IMHO. Yes, they out perform most bikes in the offroad dept, but that is not what I am after. I want day in and day out reliability whether its off or on road I want to know that I can make it to where I am going and yes the GS and Stelvio will slide the back tire and wheelie, but its doesnt beg for it all the time. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I live only 10 min, by dirt from Riders Hill.
Thanks. Looks like they are closed Monday and Tuesday, so I'll follow up on Wednesday and see what the situation is. Would be a fun ride from Riders Hill to Oregon... Might be enough to sway me right there!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngje13 View Post
Thanks. Looks like they are closed Monday and Tuesday, so I'll follow up on Wednesday and see what the situation is. Would be a fun ride from Riders Hill to Oregon... Might be enough to sway me right there!
If you cant work it out, Ill fill in. I am a teacher and have to go back to work in early August.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 07-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Youngje13 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
If you cant work it out, Ill fill in. I am a teacher and have to go back to work in early August.
Haha... Let me check my schedule. Oh, wait, I'm self-employed :).

Thanks for the offer. I may need a cohort to help me find my way if you're interested. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
I don't think 2 rear rims is worth the hassle actually. Once I switched over there has been no desire to go back. I can get more selection of rubber (in sets) and they easily cover anything I can think of doing. Everything from TKC's to real sticky street only rubber. Don't forget the Strom and the GS(A) run the same tire sizes as well as quite a few others so selection is very good for tires if you do have the NTX rim.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
I too am considering getting a new leftover Stelvio. I currently have an 01 1150GS. It is a great bike and has nothing wrong with it but the Stelvio has my interest. I am concerned about cylinder heat since I live in the desert and ride in 110+ heat all summer. I am also 6'4" so the Guzzi may be a little cramped. We'll see...........................
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Anyone interested in an 09 Stelvio should contact Moto International. I recently received a notcie that they had one available for $10,999. Plus set up, freight, etc.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
Youngje13 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
Anyone interested in an 09 Stelvio should contact Moto International. I recently received a notcie that they had one available for $10,999. Plus set up, freight, etc.
They sold it Saturday. Riders Hill apparently has one, though.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
Youngje13 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
I too am considering getting a new leftover Stelvio. I currently have an 01 1150GS. It is a great bike and has nothing wrong with it but the Stelvio has my interest. I am concerned about cylinder heat since I live in the desert and ride in 110+ heat all summer. I am also 6'4" so the Guzzi may be a little cramped. We'll see...........................
You're in El Centro? I think GP in San Diego has a black 09 right now. Don't know anything about the dealership though. The sales rep didn't know anything about mid range power issues and told me the Stelvios have never had a recall... Doesn't bode well.