User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quickie trips from Los Angeles CA

This thread is mostly a collection of unedited Videos taken with a POV camera attached to my helmet. All the locations are within a day or weekend ride from (or within) Los Angeles, California. The videos show what riding is like in this part of the world.

I’ll start with a typical ride down the Los Angeles Highway 405 freeway, Sepulveda pass towards the 101. This is probably some of the busiest stretches of freeway in the entire US. Anyone who has been to LA must have traveled on this freeway. There was a lot of talk about the 405 yesterday - all northbound and all southbound lanes had to be closed for repairs! It is open now and back to normal just like in the video. Enjoy!

Froggynews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

This is a picture of the helmet with the POV camera attached. The camera has a plastic bug shield in front that can be flipped up to shield the camera lens when not shooting videos. I flip the shield down whenever shooting videos. The shield is made of transparent plastic so if I forget to take it down, at least the video will catch something.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

Hollywood Blvd downtown strip westbound starting by the intersection with Gower St. (2nd stoplight in video). Phantages on the right, you can see the stars on the sidewalk surface. Kodak Theatre at about 6:15, Chinese theatre at 7:30 (covered by the tourists buses sorry).

Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

I like to ride north out of the big city and when I do, the main highway-5 is convenient. The video shows Newhall pass. Everyone seems to always be in a big hurry at this pass. This is the main route out of Los Angeles towards the north. There are at least 5 lanes leaving LA but frequently its still not wide enough especially on weekends so there are additional lanes being constructed.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

When leaving LA via Newhall pass, Highway-5 leads north directly towards central California and points beyond such as Sacramento and Oregon. Highway-14 also branches from Newhall pass and goes towards Eastern California via Palmdale in the high desert of Antelope valley. So-called high-desert because the entire valley, which extends to Mojave and beyond to Nedvada, is over 2,600 feet above sea level.

The video shows Highway-14 going into Palmdale, a suburb of Los Angeles. At the start of the video you will notice that the highway goes up over a ridge that is perpendicular to the highway. This is one of the features of the San Andreas fault line that is visible from the ground. It takes about an hour to get outside of the metropolis of LA before traffic begins to thin out.

You can also see glimpses of my POV recording unit which is placed on the tank bag. It can record at least 6hrs of video on an 8GB SD-card. The unit uses 4 x AA batteries for power.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

From Palmdale, highway-14 goes towards the Mojave desert. This is Highway 14 between the city of Mojave and Ridgecrest.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

From Ridgecrest I take the 178 towards Panamint valley. This is Panamint valley road as it heads north towards 190 to Death valley.

This is highway 190 descending eastbound into Death Valley from Towne Pass.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

There are several good restaurants in Death valley where I can have a lazy lunch and then head back to LA and be home before sundown. However this is a weekend and I will go farther and explore Nevada to the east. This is highway 190 as it crosses the NV state line and becomes highway 374 towards Beatty.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

This is eastbound from Tonopah Nevada along highway-6. Area-51 is on the right side. Passing the junction with the north end of highway-375, known as the Extra-Terrestrial highway.

This is westbound along America’s most lonely highway, Highway-50 out of Ely Nevada.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

This is the Nacimiento-Fergusson road as it goes downhill towards its end where it joins up with the Pacific Coast highway-1 by the Central California coast north of Cambria.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

Riding over the Golden Gate bridge from San Francisco
Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
Froggynews OP
Adventurer

Riding the Richmond bridge from San Quentin by Marin County eastbound across the bay into Oakland. No toll on eastbound direction.

Southbound from Oakland into downtown San Francisco via the Oakland Bay Bridge. This is a double-decker bridge with the opposite lanes underneath. A section of the upper deck fell down into the lower deck during the 1989 Earthquake. For many years now, a new bridge is being constructed parallel to the existing bridge. You can see portions of the on-going construction on the right side.