Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #31
GISMAN
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the video clip of our meeting and for the info on Engineers....maybe next year.
definitely will have one of those cameras for our next trip! Here is a picture I snapped of you.....If thats all the gear you had that's pretty impressive....thanks again
Attached Images

GISMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #32
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 303
Looking good Oliver.

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #33
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
Great report Oliver, and spectacular video, looking forward to the WR250 trip, hope you document that one.
Hey Cris! I will have to send you pictures of what I've done to the WR, I almost have the last accessories on and you won't believe how much it has changed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISMAN View Post
Here is a picture I snapped of you.....If thats all the gear you had that's pretty impressive....thanks again
This was the one day I left my larger bag at the base camp so that is only 1/2 the gear. I was riding with the Giant Loop Great Basin bag on all other days... very stable and an awesome bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn. Walrus View Post
Looking good Oliver.
Hi Larry! Thanks... I need to get on with the report! Editing these videos is taking much longer than anticipated. I think I will continue with the pictures and then catch up with the video later.

Here is a quick time lapse of myself setting up my tent on day 2. This is my first try with the GoPro on a time lapse and I think it turned out alright except the camera ran out of battery before I finished!!

EnderTheX screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 06:44 PM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #34
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Day 3

The dull glow of the morning woke me and I wasted no time breaking down camp. I knew this would be the first day to see real mountains and get over 10k feet. The ride towards Colorado is long but I soon found a familiar sight. Readers of my report from last year will recognize this as the same restaurant Chris and I stopped at for breakfast.

I saw two ADV bikes outside and went inside to chat. The two riders had finished their meal and and I learned they had completed a week (or two?) long trip with friends in the same region I was about to explore. They looked weather-beaten and jaded… reluctant to return to civilization and glad to be safe. I watched from my plate of eggs and bacon as they strapped on gear, said goodbyes and roared off in different directions. I wonder if that is how I appeared in the final days of my trip…

Weaving through the hills I let my thoughts run wildly until I couldn’t take it anymore. Time for some music to distract myself… I almost blew right by the welcome sign!

Making my way into Colorado I knew the first off-shoot trail I had scheduled was a medium difficulty out and back trail called “Devil Mountain”. I figured it would be a good start to the trip and at the least I could tell impressive stories about running Devil Mountain around the campfire.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
PDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Wow, I can't believe you rode through the Puerto de Luna (PDL) valley from Sumner lake. I was raised in that little village, on the west side of the Pecos. That ride to the lake was one of my first on my Yamaha Mini enduro in about 73'. My son and I ride it now when we are at the farm.
Looking forward to the rest of the report! We also do the San Juans when we can.
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #36
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL View Post
Wow, I can't believe you rode through the Puerto de Luna (PDL) valley from Sumner lake.
Neat place, really hot! I chose to ride through that area because it had some interesting topography compared to the surroundings, a good end to day 1!

Day 3 continued:

Devil Mountain highlights:

Devil Mountain wasn't too bad, some interesting sections and lots of trees!

There were tons of huge flies at the top of the mountain and I stayed only for a minute to get a picture. This trail can be done on a big bike and would be fun to rocket up on a smaller dirt bike. Although... if you are on a tight schedule you may want to pass on this trail because it is long and almost all in deep trees.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
I also agree...

For some reason I enjoy scenes of long desolate highways.

But I also love the mountains... Sure do appreciate all of your hard work in bringing us along

I'm in...

Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #38
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDave View Post
Sure do appreciate all of your hard work in bringing us along
Thanks Dave! It means a lot to me... I love documenting my journeys but the video editing is wild... so much good stuff to go through to bring you a couple minutes of vid!

Day 3 continued...

After Devil Mountain I was feeling great and I was on familiar ground too! Heading west on 160 I met up with 550 and started north. Now I was really in the mountains and the past two days of desperate heat and long miles were all worth it!!

I had decided to ride a road we bypassed last year... the Old Lime Creek road that paralleled 550 going north. This would turn out to be one of the most surprising and rewarding rides of the trip. If you have time... DO NOT pass up this road!!!

Towards the start of the road a serine lake full of lily pads helped me pause for a minute and admire nature...

Further up the trial I found rocky cliffs lined with giant blocks of bonded rock... This is the first time I've seen anything like this on a mountain road. I didn't need guards to remind me of the treacherous edge... but I could see why the cages driving this road may need them. The edge was sudden and spectacular!!!

Looking back at one of the sections... I really hope the missing pillars are from rock slides and not ambitious jeepers

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #39
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Here is the highlights video from Old Lime Creek... please enjoy the music

Old Lime Creek held a lot of surprises and I am glad I took the time to run it!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #40
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Really enjoying this RR so far, Oliver. And it looks like your suspension is getting a nice workout.

Keep it coming!

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #41
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Really enjoying this RR so far, Oliver. And it looks like your suspension is getting a nice workout.
Thanks David! I wouldn't have it any other way... I know my bike is happiest when put to the test!

Day 3 continued...

After getting back on 550 I made my way up to Silverton and towards US Basin (Co 14). This was one of the only routes I couldn't get info from the park rangers on. I really like this track and highly recommend it to anyone with a larger bike (or small bike!!) because the scenery and road is awesome!

I glanced at the south entrance to Co 14 and didn't see anything so I kept going to the north entrance... which is almost directly across from the entrance to Black Bear Pass. I found a few dozers getting ready to clear some snow. You can see in the background the path is completely blocked with snow. After a few moments of quiet contemplation I headed back to find a camp site...

I started looking at the South Mineral Campground we had stayed in last year. I had hopes of returning to the same site and enjoying the campground... these hopes quickly faded as I saw many campers along the access road and when I arrived the host assured me there were no sites available After a good chat about road conditions I headed out to find another spot...

This picture is on the road to South Mineral

Last year we had visited a private campground at Molas lake just south of Silverton and I went to see if it was full. The host there is really cool and suggested a more remote site on top of a hill overlooking the lake. The fire ban was not yet in effect so I looked forward to using the fire pit that night!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #42
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Getting some firewood was fun. I had a couple straps with me and my single bundle maxed out the length of the straps. I know the host must have chuckled as he collected my firewood bundle "this guy will never get all this on that bike!". I made it back to my hill without incident

This was a true mountain lake... I was camping at 10,500 feet! The sunset here is drawn out for at least two hours because the sun dips under the mountains and then finally the horizon. The fish were going CRAZY on the lake! I was kicking myself that I didn't bring a pole... A few fishermen around the lake were catching them hand over fist!

Later that night I had a raging fire going, I burned the entire bundle in a few hours... it got really cold towards midnight. Just before the last of the light dissipated I brought out the tripod and get a few fire pictures

Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #43
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 164
Thumb

Great pictures!
Looking at your map, it looks like you went over Owl Creek Pass and down to Silver Jack Reservoir. Did you go down the dead end roads south of the lake?
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #44
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRATT View Post
Great pictures!
Looking at your map, it looks like you went over Owl Creek Pass and down to Silver Jack Reservoir. Did you go down the dead end roads south of the lake?
I did go over Owl Creek Pass, a bit of snow at the top! I was traveling a good bit on that day so I did not explore any alternate routes... Is there some good riding in that area?

Day 4...

This day I left my large pack at camp with the tent and started out to do the Alpine loop! First I had to get through Silverton and up to Animas Fork to start Engineer Pass. I have full length video of Engineer, Cinnamon and Ophir Pass so I will compile a series of videos to show the whole thing... along with highlights videos of course!!

This is a quick video of me riding through Silverton that morning. I really like this town, lots of character and fun to explore!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #45
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 164
Of course, it's the San Juans!
There is three short dead end roads that run along the creek bottoms in between the mountain ridges.
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote