Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #61
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
At the top of the pass again I was surprised by some good lighting and took a few more pictures. On my next trip I want to take a more detailed camera than my waterproof point and shoot and really take advantage of the scenery!

This is why everyone should try to enjoy the mountains early in the season... beautiful, great weather, minimal rain and dry trails!

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #62
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The next day I headed north up 550 through Ouray to pick up Owl Creek Pass. I knew this was going to be a super long trail to get over this pass and I had many miles to cover. When I got off the highway I knew it was going to be fast and fun!

The road was corrugated but I did my best to haul ass!

My original tracks I copied from a 4x4 book cut through an enticing looking trail. I hesitated because the sign said no 4x4 trucks but yet the book clearly showed it started here. Maybe the tracks are old and this could lead anywhere?

Fully laden I bravely set off on the deeply rutted ATV trail. I made it about 1/4 mile before I stopped on a hill to survey the route. What I saw was not helpful... the trail was veering off the GPS tracks and becoming even deeper. I decided to turn back and follow the graded road to the pass.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #63
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Closer to the top of the pass I found a field with hundreds of these bright new plant clusters.

At the summit I took a quick picture and rolled on. The road through Owl creek is very easy and can be done by any bike. Certainly scenic, fast and better than the pavement!

Traveling down the other side there were several curvy gravel turns and I was practicing riding aggressively in gravel, feeling the rear end slide out under power...

On a sunny straight section I blasted past a fellow motorcyclist and I recognized another F800GS! I put on the brakes and saw him do the same in my mirror. I turned around and went back to chat. We talked for a good twenty minutes about the passes we had seen, riding and gear. I asked if he was on ADVrider and he said he doesn't post much but enjoys reading it. I was surprised when he directly mentioned Chris and my ride report from last year in this area as part of his inspiration to get out here! We were going in opposite directions so we shook hands and parted ways... two solo riders enjoying the mountains!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #64
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

When riding out of Owl Creek Pass I kept and eye out for some black slippery surface the rider I met mentioned. He said it was slick as snot and a byproduct of some road construction. I didn't see it until later in the ride but when I came across it all I could do was hang on! I think it was some type of lime or other checmical they add to the road to make it hard and reduce the dust. I didn't get any pictures of the slick stuff but here is one from the road...

Now it was time to ride highway 50 east and make my way to Marshall Pass. I kept popping in and out of small rainstorms but nothing was so severe to warrant stopping and donning rain gear...

On this same road I passed a few long distance cyclers with full bicycle luggage pounding away the pavement.

I found the entrance to Marshall Pass and stopped at the gas station to clean my glasses and cameras. A couple local country fellas walked by and I asked if they knew the condition of the pass. The older man answered "Graded! I should know because I graded it myself up to the pass"

The road is fast and smooth. I saw a couple groups of motorcyclists coming the other way but they seemed to be in a hurry and didn't pause at all... I would soon learn why!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #65
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So here I am casually ripping up the trail and having a great time. Far gone are my worries about rough roads hindering my progress, I was making good time and enjoying the scenery!

A warning to anyone traveling Marshall Pass....

Then... I meet up with a group of four riders preparing thier bikes in a nice shady area. I stop to chat and quickly learn they were fixing a flat! They warned me that the black surface I was riding on was an old railroad line that had been removed and graded. One of thier bikes had picked up a 4-5 inch long railroad spike in the tire! The rider with the flat showed me the old rusty spike... looked like it could do a lot of damage.

I learned the group that had passed me earlier had the same problem on two of their bikes... must have been why they were trying to make time. So this is 3 bikes that got spiked out of 8, not good odds!!!!

I carry all the tools and parts necessary to change tubes or fix punctures on my F800GS but I dread the prospect of getting the super stiff K60 tire off the rear. I expect nothing less than bloody hands, lots of swearing and a good hour of wrestling to change the rear tube.

With the warning from the riders I switched from going as fast as possible to crawling along at 5mph. They said you could see the spikes sticking out of the ground and I constantly scanned ahead for anything pointy or out of place. I think this scenario is created directly after the first grading of the season and the tractor pulls up the spikes. After a few weeks and several flat tires the spikes may be embedded again.

Here is a shot of the road surface I was crawling along... the dark black dirt was supposedly the old rail bed.

After successfully getting through the black rail trail without getting spiked I saw another challenge looming in the distance... A good opportunity for one of the "when the weather turns bad" pics!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #66
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Soon the clouds got even more ominous but I continued riding until I felt some rain.

I am pretty sure Marshall Pass is on the TAT, I was going the opposite way on this trip!

The GoPro camera on the bottom of the bike held up really well to the mud and rocks. Rinsed it off in the sink at the motel that night and it works great!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #67
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

That morning in Salida I met another solo adventure rider heading in the opposite direction. We traded stories and I warned him about Marshall Pass. Hopefully he made it over safely... avoiding getting spiked!

This day I was headed up Highway 24 to Weston Pass. The air was chilly and storms were racing across the plains. I had my earbuds in and felt in tune with the bike. After the long day of easy trails yesterday I was ready for something a bit more challenging.

Here is the beast that grades these roads... not as big as I thought This was the end of the smooth stuff and onwards with some rocky fun!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #68
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

OK... well when I meant rocky I meant just not totally graded... This pass is still easy enough for any bike but includes enough broken up sections and dips to get the heart pounding!

What a view!!!

Shortly after the previous picture I had to stop to get my rain gear on. Lightning was booming all around me and some of it was VERY close I raced up to the top of the pass and got off my bike for only one minute to take a quick picture. There was a very real chance of getting hit up here because it is above the tree line and right next to some giant power lines

After escaping from the top of the pass I didn't stop for a while until safely out of the storm. I really enjoyed going over Weston Pass, lots of fun for the long distance travelers!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #69
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Flawless!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #70
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Great RR love it keep it coming
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #71
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

After Weston Pass I continued my easternly journey towards Boreas Pass. The rain swirled around me and gave a good show. Since I Was already soaked and in my rain gear I made the best of it and snapped a couple pics for the "when the skys turn bad" thread!

Arriving at Boreas I was glad to see it was open. Several other passes in this area had been closed due to the late snow.

This pass is easy for any adventure bike and very fast. Towards the top of the pass several patches of snow remained but the steady rains were melting them quickly. At this point in the trip I was trying to make some miles so I didn't linger at the summit.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #72
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Down on the highway again it began to get really cold! The rain had soaked through my dissapointingly "water resistant" gloves and the heated grips couldn't keep my fingers warm. I contemplated holing up somewhere until the rain passed but a quick look at the radar map showed no relief projected for several hours.

I made my way up to Loveland Pass and started climbing up through the mountains. Several ski resorts, ski lifts and lots of snow kept me interested as I tried to peer through the misty rain. During better weather this pass must have stunning views! It was hard to stop for any pictures but I really want to get back there sometime.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #73
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

After Loveland I cruised on the highway for several miles making my way to Guanella Pass.

Getting gas at the corner I had to do some calculations to see if I could make it to my planned destination on time. The rain had really slowed down my progress on top of my agressive schedule. I checked the mapa and there really was no good way around the pass, I decided to go for it and risk further delay if the road was in bad condition.

Right at the start I met some construction. Luckily I arrived just towards the end of the waiting period (cars had been lined up for a couple hours). I pulled to the front and chatted with the flagger for 15 minutes before they let us through. Seemingly they are paving the entire length of the pass!

Honestly there wasn't too much to take pictures of until I came to a large power relay station unexpectedly nestled in a small valley.

Towards the top of the pass the road was newly paved and nicely twisty. The rain had made the hairpin turns slick but I still had fun!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #74
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Paving it? Nooooooooo! Say it aint true!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #75
Groomez
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
You sir, have some excellent taste in music and a keen eye for videography. Care to share some of the music tracks/artists you used?
RIP #58
Current:
2010 Ducati Streetfighter
Groomez is offline   Reply With Quote