Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #76
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomez View Post
You sir, have some excellent taste in music and a keen eye for videography. Care to share some of the music tracks/artists you used?

Thanks Sure thing, here are the artists/bands - songs on each video!

Intro Highlights Video: Link To this Video!
Misfits - Forbidden Zone
El Ten Eleven - I like Van Halen because my sister says they are cool
Glasseater - Holiday (a Weezer cover)
Nine Inch Nails - The Frail
El Ten Eleven - Adam and Nathan totally kick ass
Mai Yamane - Don't Bother None (from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack)
El Ten Eleven - Chino

Day 1 Colorado: Link To This Video!
The Seatbelts - Slipper Sleaze (from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack)
The Reverend Horton Heat - Like a Rocket
Lazlo Hollyfeld - The Pacer

Riders from LA and Texas:
Link To This Video!
Time To Know - Be Waltz (from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack)

Day 2 Colorado: Link To This Video!
Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive (perfectly timed to my engine start I might add )

Day 2 Setting Up Camp: Link To This Video!
Neutral Milk Hotel - Marching Theme

Devil Mountain: Link To This Video!
Bloodhound Gang - Along Comes Mary
Bloodhound Gang - Hell Yeah

Old Lime Creek: Link To This Video!
The Glitch Mob - Between Two Points

Riding through Silverton: Link To This Video!
Radiohead - Sail To The Moon

Engineer Pass Highlights: Link To This Video!
Tool - The Patient
Tool - Ticks and Leeches
Tool - Disposition
Nine Inch Nails - You Know What You Are
Nine Inch Nails - 1 Ghosts I
Nine Inch Nails - Lights In the Sky
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #77
Groomez
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
hell yes! I knew I recognized some of the tunes in there NMH and Nine Inch Nails. Thanks for the share, I'll be grabbing some new tunes soon.
RIP #58
Current:
2010 Ducati Streetfighter
Groomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #78
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Fantastic RR. I do not doubt you inspire others to ride.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #79
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Fantastic RR. I do not doubt you inspire others to ride.
Thanks Pongo Hopefully someone will check out the continuous helmet cam videos of the passes as well. Most of these are totally doable on large bikes and I encourage anyone to go for it!

Continuing on up Guanella Pass a little further than the sign was the summit. Nothing too spectacular but still some snow up here!

On the other side of the pass the paved road would through the mountains cutting my travel time significantly. I had the road to myself because I had been the first through the multi-hour blockade at the start.

I took a minute to check my rear tire, the famous Heidenau K60. It had been new when I left Texas a few days ago and already worn through almost half of the tread in the middle. Some cracks appeared here and there but I wasn't worried... my previous K60 had done the same thing and wear slows down significantly after the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch of tread.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #80
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

After Guanella Pass the storm clouds closed in and I hightailed it to a motel close to Denver. The roads on the way were twisty, fast and scenic! This plan worked out well because as soon as I pulled in it started raining cats, dogs and small hail. I took the opportunity to stick the hair drier in my boots and try to dry out some of my clothes.

The next day I made my way up to Rampart Range Road which is supposed to be a long dirt road on top of a mountain range all the way from Denver to Pikes Peak.

I was surprised to see tons of dirt bikes and atvs all over the place! Seemingly this area is an off-road park with camping both right off the road and in campgrounds. I wanted to try one of the trails and noticed they were marked on my GPS. I found a sign that said "easy" and it should be a relatively short trail. Little did I know once I started I would be committed to the end...

The trail was sandy, narrow and steep in some sections. It would have been too difficult to turn around so I trudged on, putting my skills and clutch to the test. At one point it started to wind upwards with banked turns and a few roots here and there. I hung on for dear life and put all my trust in my bike and tires! (This is part of the intro-highlights video, I should probably make another dedicated video to this trail).

Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #81
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,706
Hey, I was wondering what was going on with this report!
Hi Oliver - nice to see that there's more.
Didn't I read that you and Chris were doing another trip to Colorado/Utah?
So...how was it?

I still think of you guys whenever I see Jeep commercials (remember this? So awesome).
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #82
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hey, I was wondering what was going on with this report!
Hi Oliver - nice to see that there's more.
Didn't I read that you and Chris were doing another trip to Colorado/Utah?
So...how was it?

I still think of you guys whenever I see Jeep commercials (remember this? So awesome).

Hey Kelly! Sorry for the delay on this report... as you said, we did just get back from an EPIC ride in Colorado and Utah. It was awesome to say the least and we accomplished many of our original lofty goals. We are still in the early stages of working on the ride report... almost 3000 pictures and 60 hours of HD video are a lot to sort through!

Chris doesn't like me posting pics from the ride just yet but here is a link to some pictures I posted in the WR250R forum

Yes! Black Bear is awesome, we did go back there on the recent trip and will have some more awesome data on that pass
Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #83
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I was getting worried about time during my off-road expedition at Rampart Range Road on the loaded down F800GS. After stopping at an intersection I heard some bikes coming my way. I stopped the riders and inquired about the tracks that lay ahead. They pointed to the nearest exit and I took the shortcut to the road.

All I can say is... Rampart Range Road is LONG and big bikes do NOT take any side excursions unless you are proficient at sandy single track.

Rampart Range Road is quite fun though. I managed to keep my speed up and really fly through a never-ending undulating dirt road. Luckily the one forest ranger I passed was in a tight corner and he didn't see my excessive speeding.

After Rampart Range it was time for Pike Peak! I had anticipated this moment for quite a while... the hill climb race happened less than a week before I arrived at the peak.

Ha!! My expectations were far superior to the truth... waiting in a super long line just to get into the park... hundreds of crappy family cars traveling at 20mph trying to climb to the peak... I passed an uncountable number of idiots over the double yellow, flying up the mountain, I experienced a tiny bit of the exhilaration the racers would have. Towards the top... I was stopped by a perspiring, livid, exasperated park ranger who chewed me out for multiple violations. Luckily I proceeded without a ticket and made it to the top!

Pikes peak was fun but I'm not sure if I will be back... By next year the entire thing will be paved. The last bit of dirt was under construction and I talked to the flag guy while I was waiting (unfortunately not the sharpest crayon in the box)... I asked if the entire dirt section was going to be paved, he said "yes" and I mentioned it would be a shame... he didn't understand.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #84
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Heading south from Pikes Peak there were several fun and very long dirt roads. I felt like time stood still and the roads would never end. Fortunately I rarely saw another person and even feared running out of gas at one point! What a day!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #85
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Some of the roads wound through long canyons... Blind corners and tight twisties limited my speed but I was having fun!

A cool wooden bridge over the middle of the canyon.

Several rock tunnels along the road made things interesting. These were short but still looked like a lot of work to carve!

Luckily I had my cameras on and you can see some of the tunnels from my point of view in the intro highlights video!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #86
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Miles flew beneath my tires and I was anxious to make it as far as I could this day. Playing with the camera I snapped a couple shots while riding.

I was out of the mountains and headed strait for another storm. Riding through the flatlands cruising at 80mph is quite interesting after spending the day focusing on tight twisty dirt roads. At one point I saw the car far ahead of me dab the brakes for no apparent reason and I saw a gazelle scared out of its mind floundering in the median of the interstate. It didn't look hurt, just confused, I was glad to pass without incident and continued to my resting place for the night.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #87
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The next morning was the last of the trip, cool and bright, I started on my way home.

An impressively flat and desolate section of land on a small country road I used to connect some highways.

In a small Texas town I stopped at an unobtrusive burger joint. Walking in it was obvious it doesn't get much out of town traffic. I downed the amazingly tasty burger and contemplated what small town life in rural America is like... Might be nice if you have your own agenda but I prefer the DFW metroplex!

500 miles after the start of the day I made it back safe and sound! Credit to my safety cone and all my fellow ADV riders for inspiration and support!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #88
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
500 miles after the start of the day I made it back safe and sound! Credit to my safety cone and all my fellow ADV riders for inspiration and support!
Nice ride, Oliver!
Hey, glad that conehead is still doing his job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
we did just get back from an EPIC ride in Colorado and Utah. It was awesome to say the least and we accomplished many of our original lofty goals. We are still in the early stages of working on the ride report...
Chris doesn't like me posting pics from the ride just yet but here is a link to some pictures I posted in the WR250R forum
Aww, your Beemer must have been sad to stay home, but I guess the new bike deserved to stretch its legs a little.
Sorry - tell Chris, I won't ruin any more surprises by asking questions...
Okay, back to work you guys...those pics/video won't edit themselves.
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #89
vaish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Thumb

great trip and nice ride .. the videos are great i enjoyed
vaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #90
flying.moto
Earthbound Misfit, I

Oddometer: 205
Thumb

Absolutely loved your report! Video, and especially the choice in music! Those Bebop soundtracks do sound great, dont they?

Thank you for taking us along!
flying.moto is offline   Reply With Quote