Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #46
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 865
Since you're lengthening the swing arm and extending the forks, you may want to consider repositioning the foot peg mounts lower for extra leg room and lower center of gravity when on the pegs.
Attached Images

Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #47
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

But then like all fab jobs..change one thing and something else needs to be tweaked..like the brake pedal..it gets heated and a little bend so it works properly.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #48
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post
But then like all fab jobs..change one thing and something else needs to be tweaked..like the brake pedal..it gets heated and a little bend so it works properly.
Mounting your shocks to the subframe?!?!?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #49
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Reinforced and mounted just like the original

Beemerguru screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 11:35 AM
Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #50
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post
Reinforced and mounted just like the original
Hi Mate I dont think I need to move the footpegs mounts down as I use lowered footpegs on the chassis already and the problem is as you say you start to invoke a lot more work for little gain, unless i had much longer legs then It may have been worth the while, But ta for the interest and your comments.

Regarding the suspension mounts and the way you have done your bike - looks like you have done a lot of work -your bikes set up at the rear differs from the original Paris dakar bikes which are based on the 247E chassis Type (ie monoshock g/s, st and gs) and the suspension mounts when set up for twin shock are are on the mainframe not the sub frame. Below is a picture typical of the HPN PD set up.

The sub frame in engineering terms is not really the ideal place to achieve good suspension Geometry or strength for a heavy off road bike. But like I say somewhere earlier in this thread we all go our own way to achieve what we want and I am sure your very happy with your own set up. What I am doing is maybe no good to the purist HPN rider, no problem to me as he /she would not be riding my bike - I am also restricted by a limited budget along with wishing to add some of my own designs into the bike and chassis,Thus it will be unique and my own design (with accepted a lot of HPN ideas and research slotted in to the design.
Attached Images

adventure950 screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 12:22 AM
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #51
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

A few more pictures of the chassis coming along still a long way to go this one shows the oil cooler mounts in place doesOC on that frame meen oil cooler or orange county - when you look at that raked long front end makes you wonder.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #52
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

And one of the neat alloy bobbins with rubber edge for the tank carrier the oil cooler can be seen in place.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #53
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

this one is a dry run again of the tank, a spare engine and gearbox etc in place even pushed on some tyres to get some idea of the proportions. The oil cooler sits neatly between the tank but tucked in tight and out of the way.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #54
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

and from the other side, you can see the sub frame, swing arm and stand all need work to start now. I also have a big pile of wires, sockets relays and stuff waiting for the wiring harness which I am about to start next week. Been trying to work out some layout for the electrics at the moment.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #55
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

The spine tube, now with spacers welded , drilled and tapped for the mounting of plates to carry all the electrics so when done they will be nice and neat.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #56
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

A few more pics first one the battery box fabricated from 2 mm aluminium plate taking shape - needs to be welded on the bottom edges. The shock mounts are to be re modelled as these were on the frame when I bought it but were incorrect - but that is in the next stage of welding, also have made an error with the tank mounting points and they need to be moved up 38mm. pain but its to be redone.
Attached Images

adventure950 screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 01:51 AM
Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #57
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Her you can see the plates bolted in place for hanging all of the electrics on, the front plate carries the two twin tower dyna coils, the large plate behind will carry the electronic ignition box, relays and fuse box. I have just started to do a first fit of the wiring to start building up a harness - its slow work.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #58
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Great work so far.

I'm watching with interest as I have hopes to turn my 89 GSPD into a poor, poor man's HPN.

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #59
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Hi CordR even though this is a spare chassis, and I already have a donor bike with HPN tank, fairing rebuilt engine etc - Its still an expensive job, HPN for the Paris dakar chassis work, swing arm, sub frame and driveshaft cost about 2,500 uk pound, but then its all the other stuff suspension, tank fairing, exhausts any engine work different wheels and oh so expensive forks that start the tally running. I have a donor bike a r80gs for the engine and gearbox I am still running that at the moment, I also have a scrap r80 road bike i am using for fitting and setting up on the mock up chassis - you can see the engine and gearbox in the photos.
Getting HPN to do the chassis would be easier and at least you get the name to add value to the bike. doing it this way is really long winded as everything is having to be made as one off pieces. I am lucky I have the time and my mate is doing the welding and some fabrication at a very low rate so a fraction of the cost of an HPN for the chassis work. The forks are HPN and second hand need rebuilt and new seals etc, the front wheel is hPn needs rebuilt as its old and well used, need new front disc, the shocks I chose wilbers but they were more than HPNs white power ones !!!! . at the back end the wheel is rebuilt twin shock so good, I have had to buy the brakes,cam, and bevel box. My gs will be broken and sold to finance the build on this bike. I could easily have bought a new yamaha 660 or similar for what will be the final cost of this build. Its frightening but now I have dipped my toe in the water I may as well get in and swim the lake. Eh!.

adventure950 screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 01:48 AM
Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #60
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,328
Yes but there will be people that would put up good money for a beautifully made 'new' old style HPN GS if you decided to sell it.
Looking good.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote