Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikka View Post
I replaced my low beam with www.futurevisionhid.com 's 35W HID H7 kit (canbus model)
and I've had zero problems with it.
After that my high beam seemed like a candle in the wind...so I replaced that with
a 50W HID no-name-kit from ebay. (60$) Takes quite a bit to warm up to full brightness
but lights up the road pretty good!
Not a single error/fault message.
No issues finding a spot for ballasts with Mirage screen:

-m

Miikka what is that mount you have around the gauges? It looks like maybe you could mount a GPS or something fairly large above the gauges? It looks something like the instrument cover you can get from touratech but a lot taller. Can anyone clear up what that is or something like it? Very interested. Thanks.

"instrument cover you can get from touratech"
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...GS-F650GS-Twin
Crash-n-Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Looks like DDM T. Is 45-75 depending on what is needed. Harness, eliminator?

FutureV is $200.

For my money I'll try the 35w DDM
Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash-n-Skid View Post
Miikka what is that mount you have around the gauges? It looks like maybe you could mount a GPS or something fairly large above the gauges? It looks something like the instrument cover you can get from touratech but a lot taller. Can anyone clear up what that is or something like it? Very interested. Thanks.

"instrument cover you can get from touratech"
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...GS-F650GS-Twin
It's all part of the Mirage 2 fairing by Britannia Composites. You'll find more info about it from
their website http://www.britanniacomposites.com/mirage2.html and/or here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628504

And yes, you can mount a gps or other gadgets on the dash that it provides.
I have a gpsmap 276 mounted on mine.

-m
Attached Images

Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #19
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

I decided to get the DDM Tuning HIDs. A buddy owns a local motorcycle repair shop and said he has done dozens of them and they work no prob. So I said order me up some of the 35w HID's. He says, ordered you a pair of 55w.

Back and forth about tossing a CANBUS code, he says lets do it and I'll order the error code eliminator. If we don't need it we'll send it back. Parts in a week, took us about 45 min to install which is plug and play. Didn't put the error code eliminator in and they work just fine. :-D

Are these bright enough?

They are these and were like $45 + shipping per pair. After helping him install them I easily could have done it myself. Tucked the ballasts in the side fairing and used heavy duty stick down velcro to hold them in place: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
I'm out testing a hid kit I bought a few days ago.
Happy so far.

Sent from my HTC

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

35w or 55w?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
ebnelson
Frozen rider

Oddometer: 233
I bought my bike with the OneOff low beam HID kit. The light is bright but the projector really isn't right for an HID in my view. I'm not getting flashed by drivers but have worried about being pulled over. I have factory HIDs in my Sprinter van and it's projectors work so much better. Actually, they make sticking HID bulbs in the F800GS halogen projectors look like a total hack.

Anybody try a kit that includes a projector with there F800GS? Something like this http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=927 I read a post on the sprinter-forum site showing adding this type of projector/lamp kit to a van. The resultant light pattern looks as good as the MB OEM system.
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #23
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,324
I'm using a motorvision bulb and already get flashed by drivers... (don't care ) but can't imagine the result with a HID kit
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #24
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
How many inmates have replaced the headlight altogether, and what with?

I noticed today that the standard BMW headlight isn't water proof.

A water crossing went wrong. I had to drain the headlight...the tank bag....the airbox....my wife.... The chrome shit is peeling off the reflective surfaces of the light. I'd rather replace the whole thing with some big round spots. I think LostGuy (Lostboy, Losttheplot....I can't remember what his tag is) changed his out, but I can't find shit. Stupid search engine thingys...
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #25
mylovelyhorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I recently fitted DDM Tuning 55 watt 4500K HIDs to dip and main beam on my 2012 F800GS.

Dipped beam:
Perfection. Exactly what I want a headlight to deliver. The visible beam pattern is slightly larger than it was but (more importantly) is filled completely with bright, white light. It makes it very easy to see while riding unlit roads. I've not been flashed by any oncoming cars & as the dealer checked the beam adjustment the day after fitting, I'm confident it's good. The other day I was riding in howling rain - visibility was much higher than it previously had been.

Main beam:
Mixed. Excellent once warmed up but as it takes 3 or 4 seconds to go from lit (which still gives off some light) to full power, the results take a while to appear. They do warm up in regular use so this delay gets smaller but then a good 1/2 hr without using main beam and it's back. Given there is often oncoming traffic on the roads I take, I might not have the main beam on as long as I need for maximum advantage from the HID. Nevertheless, on something like the overnight section of the National Rally, where I'm often alone and on unlit roads for long periods, it'll be just right.

Conclusion:
Very glad I fitted these. Well worth it. Highly recommended for anyone doing much riding in the dark.

Here are a couple of pictures I took one evening when I stopped at the side of an unlit road. Both are dipped beam.

mylovelyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
How many inmates have replaced the headlight altogether, and what with?

I noticed today that the standard BMW headlight isn't water proof.

A water crossing went wrong. I had to drain the headlight...the tank bag....the airbox....my wife.... The chrome shit is peeling off the reflective surfaces of the light. I'd rather replace the whole thing with some big round spots. I think LostGuy (Lostboy, Losttheplot....I can't remember what his tag is) changed his out, but I can't find shit. Stupid search engine thingys...
I think you mean Lost Rider and his Storm Trooper bike. Here is the link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675456
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Thanks, that's the one.

Don't think I'll go the single unit though. Need to think about this.

Definitely will not be forking out a Kings ransom for the genuine unit with the quality (or lack there of) of the reflector surface.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #28
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER View Post
Rather expensive but this looks to be plug and play...

http://twalcomusa.com/twalcom-hid-headlight-kit-f800gs.html
Yes it is expensive, but you get the back cover with the unit so you dont have to drill yours. (in case you want to return it to origional. Very Plug and Play!
I like mine so far. not too (blue) and the design works well with the reflector, as far as directing the light beam. (IMHO)

Drawbacks. Twalcom only orders a couple of these units at a time from Italy. Mine took 2 months.

Other than that it is working great for me.
Petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnelson View Post
I bought my bike with the OneOff low beam HID kit. The light is bright but the projector really isn't right for an HID in my view. I'm not getting flashed by drivers but have worried about being pulled over. I have factory HIDs in my Sprinter van and it's projectors work so much better. Actually, they make sticking HID bulbs in the F800GS halogen projectors look like a total hack.

Anybody try a kit that includes a projector with there F800GS? Something like this http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=927 I read a post on the sprinter-forum site showing adding this type of projector/lamp kit to a van. The resultant light pattern looks as good as the MB OEM system.

yeah - i got the same problem, had that 1off low beam for 2 or 3 years now and the projection is horrible but it still lights up more area than the oem high and low beam together so hopefully the guys at 1off will fix the projector sooner than later- im not going to spend another 150+ $ to fix either.........my opinion.
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
I am truly stumped that you guys think the god looks bad in the stock housing.
Perhaps there are bad kits and good kits. I have had the 1 off for a few years , and it is fantastic.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote