ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #271
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 998

Sorry about your news, Dave, but you've still got until midnight tonight to register for off road riding, lakeside camping and BBQ this weekend in the Mendocino National Forest: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757208
Best wishes!

Mendocino County Road Closures: http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/dot/roadClosures.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
"...prohibit vehicle use of a portion of Usal Road CR 431, yearly during the winter

months, typically from November 15
th through April 15th. Actual closure date will be determined by the
County Road Commissioner based upon seasonal conditions
. The road will be closed to vehicular traffic

by installing one locking gate across the road at each end of a segment of Usal Road. The road closure
would block off approximately 18 miles of Usal Road between the Four Corners intersection and Hotel
Gulch. The first gate will be placed northeast of Hotel Gulch leaving access to Usal Beach and
campground from State Hwy 1. The second gate will be placed south of Briceland Road allowing access
to Bear Harbor Campground, Shelter Cove, and the Kings Range from Shelter Cove Road and Redway."
http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/dot/pd...on_Usal_Rd.pdf
http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/dot/usal.htm

Mendocino County Department of Transportation
(707) 463-4363
Monday - Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm
http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/dot/

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #272
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,535
Thanks - kickin' it at Pillsbury with fellow ADVriders, good food & good beer would be cool but I've got a family barbecue happening this weekend. Have fun & drink a few IPA's for me!

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #273
Motopapillon
Eppur si muove

Oddometer: 340
MHO on maps

I'm a fan of the Benchmark atlases--I think they pack a hell of a lot of information into a very easy to read format. But they do not show all the roads, and they don't always get the numbers on the forest roads right. The Benchmarks are great for touring, but deep probing in the boonies, when it can suddenly get important to know exactly where you are, the FS/BLM maps are more reliable. And easier tocarry when you're traveling light.

I'm enjoying this thread. I live a bit north of the area, but the Lost Coast is one of my favorite places to camp and ride, and camp and ride. Thanks.

MP
Motopapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #274
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,859
Ride report - very brief.

FH60 to Hyampom = No snow. There was some snow on FH60 a week ago.
Hyampom - Usual, store open, gas.
Indian Valley, Friend Mtn, Post Mtn... and vicinity. No snow, nice.
Mad River Burger Bar, the cooks have swimsuits on again.

From turn off on of Hwy 299 to back on Hwy again at 36. No cars, no motorcycles... nothing.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #275
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
My brother-in-law and I got out for a nice little ride yesterday,sorry no pictures. Anyway worked our way over to Freshwater Rd. and then took Greenwood Hts. Rd. up to the Maplecreek turn off. I had seen Snow Camp and Ward Rd. on the map and had been wanting to check them out. Found Ward Rd. but was blocked off as they were doing some work there with a tractor. Headed down towards Blue Lake and hooked a right on to Bald Mt Rd. which led us to Snow Camp Rd. A left at the intersection and a nice 4 or 5 mile logging road over to Lord Ellis Summit. (299). Plan to take Titlow Rd. (FS1?) from 299 over to 36 and the Ruth Lake area next trip.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #276
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

>"I had seen Snow Camp..."

Snow Camp road went SE via the 'Bug Creek Buttes'... and over to FH1.
Was given away by the county board of supervisors to the ranchers.
Ditto the old secondary road from Maple Creek to Snow Camp. They were both great roads.

Another road went over there too... 'Roddiscraft' road, (Roddiscraft was an old timber company). The timberlands are now owned by Green Diamond. (closed). You can ride Snow Camp road out to the (2) gates.

>"Plan to take Titlow Rd. (FS1?) from 299 over to 36 and the Ruth Lake area next trip. "

FS1 is likely closed by snow until mid June. You could try Sims mtn road over to Hyampom. Nice road!

TwilightZone screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 09:30 AM
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #277
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info on FS1 Twilight, I will try and locate Sims Mt. Rd. on the map. You know now that you mention the snow we did see what we thought was some snow, and it might have been that area. Kind of SE(??) of Maplecreek Rd. and just a few ridges over.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #278
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

The snow on SF1 is usually on the east side of the ridge, up high on SF mountain... and lays in drifts in the shady hollows on the road. Usually the snow has some nice ice underneath.

If some pickups have gone through the drifts you can often follow their tracks. Dunno what condition it's in as I haven't been up FH1.

If you can go riding during the week, I can take you up on Sims mtn to Hyampom.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #279
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
The snow on SF1 is usually on the east side of the ridge, up high on SF mountain... and lays in drifts in the shady hollows on the road. Usually the snow has some nice ice underneath.

If some pickups have gone through the drifts you can often follow their tracks. Dunno what condition it's in as I haven't been up FH1.

If you can go riding during the week, I can take you up on Sims mtn to Hyampom.

Thanks for the offer to explore Sims Mt. but I have to bail AGAIN. Leaving for Klamath Falls Wed. just too much to do before we leave. I will get in touch with you the following week if you have to time then, Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #280
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

For those interested in FH1.
Gary rode up FH1 on Sunday... sent me this message.

>"Route 1 is open to the 20 mile marker. It would still be closed at the 9 mile but they plowed the drifts to haul some equipment in. Friday ridge and Ammon ridge roads still snowed in. "
Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #281
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 998
Usal Rd is "now open until further notice": http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/dot/roadClosures.htm

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #282
gar
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Fs 1

Forest Service Route 1 from 299 to 36 is open
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #283
DirtClaudeKilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
Forest Service Route 1 from 299 to 36 is open

Where does this route start and finish? I will be riding through in a few weeks and that sounds like good option

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #284
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

>"Where does this route start and finish? I will be riding through in a few weeks and that sounds like good option"

Route begins: (north)

At crest of Berry Summit on Highway 299. The road is Titlow Hill, which turns to USFS FH1 further south.

Route ends: (south end... has two endpoints depending on which fork you choose.)

1) At crest of South Fork Mtn summit on Hwy 36. (left fork headed south)
2) Near Mad River Bridge on Hwy 36. (Right fork headed south, about 1 mile upstream from Mad River Burger Bar)

Alternative exit from FH1 into Hyampom.

Take FH40 (Pelletreau Ridge) road down to Hyampom.

Hyampom has some routes out: FH60 to 299 at Burnt Ranch (paved), Indian Valley to Hwy 36 (gravel), Hyampom Road to Hayfork on Hwy 3 (paved), South Fork Road turns to Sims Mtn road and connects to Ammon Ridge road (gravel/dirt).

Nice campground in Hyampom. Gas at store.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #285
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Where does this route start and finish? I will be riding through in a few weeks and that sounds like good option"

Route begins: (north)

At crest of Berry Summit on Highway 299. The road is Titlow Hill, which turns to USFS FH1 further south.

Route ends: (south end... has two endpoints depending on which fork you choose.)

1) At crest of South Fork Mtn summit on Hwy 36. (left fork headed south)
2) Near Mad River Bridge on Hwy 36. (Right fork headed south, about 1 mile upstream from Mad River Burger Bar)

Alternative exit from FH1 into Hyampom.

Take FH40 (Pelletreau Ridge) road down to Hyampom.

Hyampom has some routes out: FH60 to 299 at Burnt Ranch (paved), Indian Valley to Hwy 36 (gravel), Hyampom Road to Hayfork on Hwy 3 (paved), South Fork Road turns to Sims Mtn road and connects to Ammon Ridge road (gravel/dirt).

Nice campground in Hyampom. Gas at store.
Might try that in a couple of weeks from 36 to 299 heading North on my way to Gold Bluffs Beach/Fern Canyon for some camping.

Explored lots around Titlow Hill/Horse Mountain in my HSU days. The old ski lodge was still there, it burned down years ago. Lots of good times.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote