Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Oddometer: 53
Old Flowers to Greer,7 mile creek and an inadvertent Kelly Flats finally with a bang

Or you could call this, a story about a ride I set out on to see if I still know how to ride, and what I learned about the passage of time.

Here is how it got started. Every few years I pick some type of adventure to give myself a goal to get into shape for. This Adventure grew out of the fact that I grew up across the street from Mr Clean (not an advrider name, apologies to the real advrider Mr Clean if there is one). He and I rode about 50,000 miles together on bmx bikes from age 12 old to 16. Somewhere in there we (well mostly Mr. Clean) wore out a poor old tired xr80.

Now 20 some years later Mr Clean moved out to the front range of Colorado, went and picked up a klx300 and called me up with all kinds of stories about riding around in the foothills. All those stories got me all nostalgic about my xr250 that I rode around in those same foothills during my college years at CSU in Fort Collins. I now live in the Chicago suburbs so those mountains are a long way off.

Attached Images

SunwardIveClimbed screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 05:01 AM
SunwardIveClimbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

When my son was born I found myself up at late at night poking around on the computer. Without knowing about it or even intentionally looking for it I kept landing on Advrider. Then I kept gravitating to stories about the CDR. It became clear that Mr. Clean and I needed to ride the divide. Problem was I did not have a bike and had not ridden off road in about 15 years. Got the bike sorted out and now I just needed to make sure I remembered how to ride one.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Disclaimer - I know this is a riding forum and not a flying forum (I read #2 in the rules), but the flight out was part of the adventure so I hope that a few comments about it will be accepted here by all and appreciated by a few. I also hope that it gets at least one more person thinking about options on how to ride more, where they want, even when there is a limited amount of time. I also included a few of those pictures here because I found it really difficult to take photos during the ride and wound up with way more flying pictures than I did riding pictures. I was always impressed by all the pictures in here but even more so now that I realize how difficult it is to get good pictures and get a lot of riding done at the same time. Much easier snap a photo when the autopilot is on.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

I got into flying airplanes partly to bring the mountains closer. I figured if I worked it right I could spend more time playing in the mountains than almost everyone I knew who actually lived there. For a while that was partly true. Then I finally caught up with a good woman who was always trying to run away from me before. After that marriage, kids and the general direction of the world slowed down the ability to have personal fun time that required funding.

Departed Aurora IL at 6:00 am on Saturday. I have a loran that used to be legal to take me direct to my destination but our government decided to save some money and shut off all the loran antennas. I don't want to guess at what they spent that savings on but I am sure in their wisdom it was worth sacrificing a redundant navigation system for it. Besides the GPS system is great. That is until it gets blocked by the new 4G cell network. But if that happens it is good to know that we still have the VOR technology from the 40s to Fall back on. Of course that isn't going to help any of us navigating on motorcycles.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Despite being incredibly boring to drive through Nebraska is a pretty state to fly over (really they all are). This is about as green as I have ever seen it though. Arrived in Loveland after 5 hrs and 28 minutes of flying and 67 gallons of fuel. Beats the airlines by the time you figure in security, rental cars and the drive up from DIA.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

After a 1000 calorie burrito we got to loading up the bikes. I tinkered around with a rack/bag/fuel system over the winter but I never actually packed it with anything.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Now we were working with food, tools, clothing, tent, bear deterrent, one reasonably sized sleeping bag and one enormous sleeping bag. Since Mr Clean hadn't spent any time figuring out how to hook things onto his Kawasaki, the WR was going to be the mule. Neither one of us had spent enough time thinking about what not to bring either.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

On the road after lots of cramming and strap pulling we headed west, into a thunderstorm, with cloud to ground lighting on both sides of the road. Always a little freaky when you see it all around you and get the smell of fresh Ozone.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

We quickly got off the road and into a gas station for our first fill up before entering the foothills. While we were there about 15 Harleys pulled in with Heavy metal music blaring over the sounds of the pipes. Bunch of them wearing masks that looked like something you would use to rob a bank. Must be new or a Colorado Harley thing. Never saw anything like that before, except for in horror films. Looking around I don’t think that either of us envied the other.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

From our fill up we headed for Old Flowers road which I was familiar with from the old days. Weird thing now was that the roads that got you there were all paved. They used to be gravel and not frequently traveled. Now there were a bunch of folks on it. Even got passed by a convertible Porsche. Than never happened when it was washboard gravel. Depending on who you are I guess you call that progress. Old flowers was a nice place to start off pavement again. Fairly flat, smooth no big surprises.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Once we got a few miles in we started looking for a campsite so that we could ditch the gear and ride light. By the time we found a good spot up Greer road it was late enough that we decided riding was out and it was time for dinner. That’s when I realized that I had the stove but left the fuel bottle behind. We decided to make dinner the old fashioned way and built a fire. As the water started to boil, it started to rain. Then lightning. This is when picking a campsite at a relatively high elevation made me begin to question my intelligence. This would soon to become a recurring question.

We tried to call it a night but ended up with smoke in the tent about 20 minutes later. How does the wind always seem to know where you are into relation to the fire? Stood around for another 45 minutes poking at the fire to get it burning again.

Bikes were more camouflaged than I thought when I look back at this picture. Mr Clean was trying to get a signal but we were just out of range which means we were just about far enough.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Sunday Morning:
Left everything bulky behind at the campsite. Attempted to navigate to breakfast at the Glen Echo restaurant in Rustic with the 296 finding out along the way that there would be closed gates and also getting mixed up by the fact that the auto reroute feature would refigure our track when I would make one of those 10° turns in the wrong direction. I never used the Garmin for motorcycle navigation before. Now I know - Auto reroute- shut it off – at least then the line will disappear and I’ll have a clue that I went the wrong way (although I still need to figure out how to do this).
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

We had a great breakfast at Rustic. They have REAL bacon there, not that thin wispy stuff that you’d get at a chain restaurant. We rode in just across the street from the restaurant in Rustic.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Then we played around in a well used area by an old mine.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Actually took one picture break. In front of us there was a fairly steep hill full of loose rock.
I would not have guessed before I tried it but 1st on the WR is not nearly low enough to ride a really bumpy steep hill. Riding up that stuff required some slipping of the clutch and lots of colorful words. I was alot better at the second than I was at the first. Here I was questioning my intelligence again. Especially when I managed to get the bike turned around and aimed back down the hill. Nothing much to do there but dodge the big rocks and hang on.
Attached Images

SunwardIveClimbed screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 07:44 PM