Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Oddometer: 53
Mr. Clean tested out the KLX suspension (not nearly as plush as what is on the WR)
Attached Images

SunwardIveClimbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

One of the many water crossings. Mr Clean told me "Don't dump it in the middle". It's always great when you get the most obvious advice. Since I've known Mr. Clean for a long time I can let it go.
Attached Images

SunwardIveClimbed screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 07:37 PM
Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Then we rode rode 7 mile creek .
From the beginning we really had no plan, no direction, other than to ride. Once we were done in the little play area that we had been practicing in we were passed by 2 KTMs and a Yamaha - all 2 strokes. Mr Clean, who loves the smell of racing fuel, tore after them, but due to my lagging behind they disappeared quickly. They were easy to follow though because that smell hung in the trees behind them. It also reminded me of flying model airplanes as a kid. This is how we got started down 7 mile creek. I noticed this name on the GPS but did not realize until a few minutes in that the trail is actually a creek. Due to all the rain and melt this year there was nothing in the creek but medium size rock. I don’t know what kind of skid plate is on the bike but it sure got used in here. It did not help that it was also raining while we were in there so there was a fair amount of water running down the creek as we were riding up it. Depending on the area you were in this made it difficult to see some of the rocks and so part of it was riding by feel. Rain on the lenses did not help either. I had been impressed by the suspension on the bike so far, but the fact that I was able to ride through the creek half blind and not go down made me really thankful I wasn’t on the KLX.

When we popped out of the creek bed an injured rider was getting taken out by SUV. I think he was the guy on the Yamaha 2 stroke that passed us (that was the bike that was lying on the ground). We were waved off by those who were there so I guess that they had it under control. Made me question my intelligence again though - I had ridden all of about 6 hours in the last 15 years and he sure did look a lot better than me heading into the trail.

Just after that I ended up talking to a guy who said this trail had been closed for the last 2 years because it was “washed out”. I guess it hadn’t gotten any better. Or maybe it has always been like that. I'd never been there before.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #19
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

After we found our way out of that area we were riding some nice flat open areas again and stopped for a picture. Realized when we stopped that we were missing the views. Sure is pretty out in Colorado. I have to get one of those portable tripods though. This balancing the camera on a rock stuff isn’t simple.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

The BANG.
Then we ended up riding on Kelly Flats. Mr. Clean and I had been 4 wheeling in his jeep through this area about 2 years ago but apparently I had been sitting in the back half asleep through most of it because I just did not remember the steep areas. Fortunately I was on my game and feeling good until I bounced the foot peg off of a stump on one of the steep uphill sections (riding the edge because it looked smooth). Nothing to do there but shut the bike off, land gracefully pick it up, and get things going again. I was still feeling good but that question (about my intelligence) came back again. I realized that although I thought I was pretty good at this motorcycle riding stuff a lot of my misplaced confidence was due to the suspension on the WR soaking up the large rocks and other obstacles that I had not been good enough to miss.

We rode out the tight uphill sections, came out on top, and rode up to the edge of Heart Attack Hill. Lots of loose rock just to get there and once we were there looking at it we both decided that the “bypass” would be the better way down. I had not associated the bypass with the heart attack part until just now. Looking back on it all now I am not sure if that is humorous or serious. You would think that bypass would mean easier, and if you think that you would be wrong. There are sections on the bypass that are just as steep as Heart Attack Hill. The bypass just does not have the exposure and length that Heart Attack Hill does.

Since I did not want to over think it I just started down. A lot of it reminded me of a mogul field. With quite a bit of loose rock scattered about. About half way down I made a minor technical mistake. It was your classic- lock up the back wheel at the wrong time, probably because you grabbed a little too much front brake, slide the back wheel down the side of the rock you are teetering on, throw off the line you thought you had, run your front wheel into a rock, stop abruptly on a steep incline, get thrown off the bike crash. Sorry there is no picture of the bike crashed on the hill (more on why in a moment). You all have seen something like it somewhere. I learned very quickly why Yamaha installed a rev limiter and a tilt kill switch because the throttle was pegged wide open for a few seconds while I scrambled to my feet to run back up hill to the bike. It shut itself off just before I could hit the switch.

I still can't figure out exactly how I bent the clutch lever up though. Mr. Clean figures I caught the toe of my boot on it as I tried to clear the bike. Based on my trajectory he's probably right. If that is the case maybe it was better that I ran out of time to install hand guards.

So as I approach the bike to pick it up - a task complicated by the fact that we did still have about 40 - 50 lbs of gear stuffed in all the bags – I noticed a trickle coming out of the bottom of the engine. The rear brake lever had been pushed in by a rock and broke of the lower bracket on the right case cover. All that bracket does is hold the plastic cover on the outside but it is in a bad spot when the bike goes down like it did.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #21
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

It is amazing how fast hot oil leaks out and in reality I did not know how much I had actually lost. I got to work pulling parts off so I could patch the hole with some JB weld (part of the 50 lbs of stuff we had along).
This is where I need to thank hilslamer for the great toolkit thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998. I might not have had that JB Weld otherwise. Again in hindsight it is interesting that it is hilslamers thread that help fix my bike after slamming it into a hill.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
SunwardIveClimbed OP
Wildblueyonderwander

Teeter Totter 4 wheeler -

So this is the point where we met Taco John and his wife.
He came just past the area where my parts were spread all over the ground and laid his bike down - much more gracefully than I did it though. Then his wife following behind stoped her 4 wheeler on the rock that I crashed off of and the back end of the 4 wheeler teetered up into the air. She froze and we did too. She rocked back and forth a little and screamed. Taco John and Mr. Clean tore off up the hill. Mr. Clean pulled the back end of the 4 wheeler down and her husband took control. She said "I'm done". Smart woman.

Up until that point I was really irritated that I crashed. Then I was grateful that we were there. Although things may have been different if we were not there (she may not have teetered), but if the same scenario had occured and her husband was all the way at the bottom she may have gone over. She had a helmet on but no other gear. I don't know if gear makes a significant difference if you are laying under a 4 wheeler either. Even if she could have bailed clear of the machine, it was all rock and hill and diving onto that in a tank top would have been ugly.