ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
gobi1kenobi OP
Adventurer
 
gobi1kenobi's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Santiam Canyon, OR
Oddometer: 35
Anyone use Monster Tubes in a Ural?

Hi,

I was just checking to see if anyone on this forum has any experience running Monster Tubes in their Ural?

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi...er%20Tubes.htm

I have used these tubes for years in my KLR and I love them. I purchased 4 of them to put in my Gear Up but when I started to use the tire spoons to pull the tires off I was making huge gashes in the rims of the ural wheels so I decided to just wait and take the Ural into Raceway Services to have them put the inner Tubes in for me, being that they have a tire machine. When I got there I was told that these Monster Tubes are not good to use in Urals as they tend to over heat and cause problems since Urals don't lean like a normal motorcycle would.

How true is this? To me this sounds like a loud of crap. Why would thicker tubes cause any issues on hacks but not on regular motorcycles?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
gobi1kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
matman1972
Lost in the woods.
 
matman1972's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi1kenobi View Post
Hi,

I was just checking to see if anyone on this forum has any experience running Monster Tubes in their Ural?

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi...er%20Tubes.htm

I have used these tubes for years in my KLR and I love them. I purchased 4 of them to put in my Gear Up but when I started to use the tire spoons to pull the tires off I was making huge gashes in the rims of the ural wheels so I decided to just wait and take the Ural into Raceway Services to have them put the inner Tubes in for me, being that they have a tire machine. When I got there I was told that these Monster Tubes are not good to use in Urals as they tend to over heat and cause problems since Urals don't lean like a normal motorcycle would.

How true is this? To me this sounds like a loud of crap. Why would thicker tubes cause any issues on hacks but not on regular motorcycles?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.



Thanks

I pulled a set out of my ural tires while I was rebuilding. Tires were almost done, but the tubes showed no problems. I have never purchased any, I had already ordered heavy duty 4.00X19s
__________________
Matt
2000 ural- The wagon Queen Family Truckster
1982 fxb parts of one all over the place at the moment
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
gobi1kenobi OP
Adventurer
 
gobi1kenobi's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Santiam Canyon, OR
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972 View Post
I pulled a set out of my ural tires while I was rebuilding. Tires were almost done, but the tubes showed no problems. I have never purchased any, I had already ordered heavy duty 4.00X19s
So obviously they worked fine in your hack. That is what I thought as well. I am thinking that the dealer was just too lazy and didn't want to have to change all the inner tubes for me, even though I was willing to pay for it. WOW. Amazing how some people stay in business.
gobi1kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
jcook004
Adventurer
 
jcook004's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Sandwich Illinois
Oddometer: 25
I haven't used the Monster tubes, but I have been running MSR Ultra Heavy Duty tubes for somewhere around 10,000 km. I think they are similar to the Monster tubes. I think they're great, with no issues at all. I don't ride off-road, other than some gravel roads, but I will run 50-60 mph down the highway for a few hundred miles at any given time.
I don't understand why they would say they aren't good to use on the Ural.
jcook004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
matman1972
Lost in the woods.
 
matman1972's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 713
They were very similar in thickness to the heavy dutys I put on when I mounted new tires. I can't imagine them being bad for a Ural. You are talking about heat transferring through whatever tread you are wrapping them in, I can't see them failing due to inn-equal distribution of heat from riding on one part of the tire all the time.
__________________
Matt
2000 ural- The wagon Queen Family Truckster
1982 fxb parts of one all over the place at the moment
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,162
Howdy Gobi,

Sell the new tubes to me CHEAP and I'll install them on my Ural.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
matman1972
Lost in the woods.
 
matman1972's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Gobi,

Sell the new tubes to me CHEAP and I'll install them on my Ural.
You have a generous heart cob. What a trooper to take one for the team.
__________________
Matt
2000 ural- The wagon Queen Family Truckster
1982 fxb parts of one all over the place at the moment
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972 View Post
You have a generous heart cob. What a trooper to take one for the team.
Howdy matman1972,

Ah shucks I was just tryin to do my bit, being the CHEAP bastard that I am, ya know I ain't gonna pay much for such worthless things as good tubes.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
planzman
commie bike rider
 
planzman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Middle Ga
Oddometer: 654
Huh?

You mean C O B means Cheap ol bastid?

Sorry....i mean Mr C O B
__________________
USAF Ret C-130 Nav 2012 Ural solo sT & 2010 Gear Up named Clay
"I did find that speed limits are not a restriction, but a goal." ridenfly: Soviet Steeds inmate
"If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie...I don't want to go...just send me to Hell or New York city....its all the same to me" Bocephus
planzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post
You mean C O B means Cheap ol bastid?

Sorry....i mean Mr C O B
Howdy planzman,

Well according to "Mrs. Cob", shes been calling me that "cheap old bastard" for years. And its a damned good thing you remembered the "Mr."
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014