User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
5 Strangers do the TAT

Been planning for years now to ride the TAT, TransAmerica Trail for those not familiar. Original plan was to ride an XR650L. The more I rode my wife's DR, the better I liked it. Sold the XR and found this nice low mileage 05 DR 650 and started adding on what I thought it might need.
Year after year, my wife always has an excuse for not going. Met a guy named Randy (FBR) on Dr Riders who was also planning the trip. Said screw it I'm going. I have the vacation, the bike and the money. It's happening. We have been planning this thing all year and have picked up a few more riders along the way. My bike is an 05 DR 650. IMS tank, DR 250 tail light mod, GSXR X40FO can, Nelson Rigg saddlebags and tail bag. She has right at 6000 miles on the odo right now.

My DR and I before a recent ride

Randy FBR on this site, is from WI and bought a new DRZ 400 for the trip and has been farkling it all year
He made these side racks

8Gv (Rich) as he is known on this site and DR Riders is from the far northeast. He is a pilot I believe. He is also riding a DR 650.

DR Dubb is also from NC. He is a retired educator. He is also on a DR 650, I believe his is an 07. We had a chance to meet up and ride at Uharrie the other weekend.
And we have one more, Etex from Texas who is riding a KLR 650. Sadly, I can't locate his pictures right now, hopefully he'll chime in.

DR Dubb, 8 Gv and Etex are all leaving now, or soon to meet at the start of the TAT. They are going to ride through to Arkansas and meet me and Randy at the TAT shack. Due to work, I can't get off till next sunday. I am going to ride through TN into Arkansas and meet the guys the following wed. Randy is doing the same, coming from WI to meet. DR Dubb will ride as far as CO then head back for home, the rest of us will ride to Port Orford. There 8Gv and Etex will ship the bikes home, Randy and I plan to ride home. We plan a layover at 3 step to do the white rim trail before continuing on.
This trip has been a dream of mine ever since I found the first installments of Dr Rock's Mobius adventure. Will try to update some on the trail, and a more complete report when we finish. Wish us luck!

deputygene screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 08:27 AM
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Hit It

Let's see some pics!
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
5 Strangers do the TAT

Looks like an adventure. I'm in.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 458
I'm in.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
DJ.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215

In!!
DJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,752
i'll subscribe to this one!

i notice all those guys have a pile of shit on the back of those bikes. the TAT is damn near all deep gravel....this plus light front ends is gonna be a problem... might advise these guys to keep the back light or add some shit to the front fender!

good luck & have fun, it's gonna be hot!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 774
The western TAT is kind of like back-packing, ie, you're richer for what you can do without. Just sayin'.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,695
your friend with the DRZ would be WAY better off with a four gallon IMS tank, the stock DRZ tank is only good for about 90 miles, and the rotopax puts extra weight at the rear of an already loaded bike.

ya need to look at how much stuff you guys are taking, and dump some of it. look at my sig below for a packing/ prep writeup. These picts are the day before leaving. By Lavetta CO I was able to ship a medium size box of stuff home. Just things I didn't use and some extra clothes. Figure your ridding clothes and a pair of zip off pants for when your not riding. But you'll find out by Colorado what you really need. BTW, don't send home your cold gear just because your out of the colder temps of Colorado, as Oregon is likely to be cold.

I'd try to carry even less than this if doing it again, but the camping gear takes space, so does a stove and food, which I rarely used. Snack food was good for the breaks on the road.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 03:11 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Hey all! FBR (with DRZ) here. I plan to lighten the load as much as possible. The pic was a pre-pack/trial run with more stuff than needed, just to see how it would fit. For example, the top bag has a big cotton sleeping bag (replaced with a very small down bag), extra fleece blanket (leaving at home), a down pillow (thats goin along, I gotta sleep). All bulky, but light gear. All heavy gear is stashed low in the saddle bags. If I did some serious gear cuts I think I could do away with the top bag all together, but I also wanna be comfortable in camp. It will be a learning curve, and I'm sure some of it will be shipped home.
Stock tank - yeah I was going to get bigger tank, but time and money start to get tight when planning a trip like this, so it didn't happen. I have used the Rotopax for over 2000 miles, (alot offroad) and I really don't notice it back there. It's also helpfull if others run low on fuel.
We agreed we are not racing across the country, and if needed we will use the go-arounds. The goal is to have fun, be safe, meet some new friends, and enjoy the trip of a life time!
Oneless harley, I read your RR a few times, took a lot of tips from it, Thanks!
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,311
I'm in.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i'll subscribe to this one!

i notice all those guys have a pile of shit on the back of those bikes. the TAT is damn near all deep gravel....this plus light front ends is gonna be a problem... might advise these guys to keep the back light or add some shit to the front fender!

good luck & have fun, it's gonna be hot!
Everyone, I think, has a tank bag and/or tank paniers, plus front fender braces with fender bags.
The bikes are loaded, but we made the choice to mostly camp with some hotel rooms. I'm sure there will be crap sent home. I packing light on clothes, and tools, hopefully taking enough.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR View Post
Hey all! FBR (with DRZ) here. I plan to lighten the load as much as possible. The pic was a pre-pack/trial run with more stuff than needed, just to see how it would fit. For example, the top bag has a big cotton sleeping bag (replaced with a very small down bag), extra fleece blanket (leaving at home), a down pillow (thats goin along, I gotta sleep). All bulky, but light gear. All heavy gear is stashed low in the saddle bags. If I did some serious gear cuts I think I could do away with the top bag all together, but I also wanna be comfortable in camp. It will be a learning curve, and I'm sure some of it will be shipped home.
Stock tank - yeah I was going to get bigger tank, but time and money start to get tight when planning a trip like this, so it didn't happen. I have used the Rotopax for over 2000 miles, (alot offroad) and I really don't notice it back there. It's also helpfull if others run low on fuel.
We agreed we are not racing across the country, and if needed we will use the go-arounds. The goal is to have fun, be safe, meet some new friends, and enjoy the trip of a life time!
Oneless harley, I read your RR a few times, took a lot of tips from it, Thanks!
FBR, Randy, is who talked me into making this year the year to do the tat. I have been half-a$$ planning it for a few years now and thought I had my bike about ready. But when the rubber meets the road, it is amazing how much more you can spend getting ready for an epic trip when time gets near. Randy is starting from scratch with a brand new DRZ 400. Unfortunately, for Randy's wallet, I also talked him into camping a lot. We have both learned a lot from reading others experiences on the TAT, and for those who have gone before, I extend my gratitude for the wisdom shared. For me, 5 1/2 more work days till I am off. Yee Haw! Keep the tips coming guys, much appreciated!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,695
if you can do without the top duffel bag that would be great, I doubt I could have with the camping gear, and food/cooking gear, plus needing cool weather gear, both add so much.

But as a group you should be able to split up some gear.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #14
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Im in, hopefully gonna do this next year

Gents be safe and we all look forward to the updates
Molonlabemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #15
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One thing for sure, that is a huge, ginormous looking duffell on the back of 8Gv's bike
Got an email from Etex, he is on the road now and should be at the start in TN today