User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Missouri Marine OP
Bob

Oddometer: 18
Lewis & Clark Lite

I recently retired from a position in MO and before moving to GA, I decided to ride the L&C trail from Camp River Dubois, IL to Ft. Clatsop, OR. I made a short trip to Camp River Dubois (Hartford, IL) and the St. Louis Arch (Western Expansion Museum) prior to heading west from Mexico, MO on 30 June. Twelve days and 3,105 miles later I reached trails end at Astoria, OR. Great adventure, met some great folks along the way, traversed fourteen states, rode 5,900 total miles across this great country. For the most part I followed the designated L&C trail which is mainly hard top. Highlights were the Lemhi Pass and the Lolo Pass. I averaged about 400 miles a day along the trail and camped or stayed in a hotel depending on time and availability. I carried extra fuel, but didn't need it. On the trip back I picked up the pace.

Only issue was the bike developed an oil leak at the base of the left cylinder. When I came out to the bike one morning there was a few drops of oil on the ground--not good when you're a thousand miles from home and in WY. There are no BMW dealers in WY. The closest dealer was Salt Lake City, next closest was Loveland, CO which was on the way. I put a few ounces in the system and called Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles in CO. Almost before I explained the problem, the service manager, Wayne, said to bring it in and they would get me on the road ASAP. Reassuring words. I got to the shop at 3pm on Fri and Trevor got my bike right in. Fortunately the BMW Master Mechanic, Todd, took the job and had a new seal installed. Unfortunately, the sealant needed to harden for several hours, so I had to spend the night in Loveland. Wayne drove me to a local hotel and picked me up the next morning. On the check run Saturday morning, Todd noticed the site gauge was also leaking which he quickly replaced. The repairs took over three hours to fix and I truly appreciate the effort and attitude of all the folks at Northern Colorado Euro M/C. Lunch was on me Saturday.

Two final points: this is a great ride, but it really requires more time than I had; a little disappointing to have an oil leak on a 2010 GS.
Bob
Missouri Marine is offline   Reply With Quote