User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 3,118
Jon-Tee Jaunts

I don't write many reports because most of the time I am reluctant to stop and take pictures.

However, once in a while I do and have posted some of those little trips.

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 05:09 AM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Upstate New York - Montezuma Wildlife Refuge

9-6-2007
Thursday.
Whitney Point, NY

I am itching for a ride.
I decide that the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge at the northern end of Cayuga Lake
would make a nice riding destination.
The season is coming to an end and very soon the birds inhabiting the Canadian tundras will be migrating south.
After passing through Marathon and Cortland, NY I turn onto route 90 west.
Approaching Genoa, NY I stop to take a picture of a farmyard filled with LP gas tanks and grain bins.

Ostensibly the LP gas is used for the drying of the crops.

West of Kings Ferry I decide to take a detour through Long Point State Park.

As I turn off route 90 onto Lake Road I pause to take in the view of the Long Point Winery vineyard.

The vines are protected from bird damage by netting.

I have always liked to visit Long Point State Park on the East shore of Cayuga Lake. After Labor Day no fees are charged.

The park juts out into Cayuga Lake affording a view of the Lake to the north and south.

DEC workers are pressure washing the ropes of the swimming area.

Two man have ended their work in the construction trade for the day.
They are getting hydrated with a case of beer.

An empty picnic table is an invitation to reflect.

From time to time a pleasure boat passes by the park.

I could stay here for hours watching the waves come into shore.

The next stop is Aurora, NY.
This is the place to visit If you have an eye for architectural beauty.
There are many lake front homes to be admired.
It is also home to Wells College. www.wells.edu

In 1779 the Clinton - Sullivan campaign wreaked havoc on the Native Americans as retribution.
George Washington received many complaints from the settlers at the New York frontier about raiding parties and scalping.
The devastation wrought by the Revolutionary Army was started from a camp near Elmira, NY

It was decided to displace the inhabitants of the region and destroy their orchards and crops.

Should you ever travel through this village I can certainly recommend a stop at the Aurora Inn.
They have a back porch with a view of Cayuga Lake.

After refuelling in Union Springs, NY I head for the Erie canal connection at the north of Cayuga Lake.

A pontoon boat manned by an extended family is entering the lock as I dismount.

The water level drops to the level of the canal and the boat leaves the lock.

Before departiing I take a picture of the lock facility.

I head north along the canal and after a turn onto Rt20/Rt 5 I enter the Montezuma Swamp. Montezuma Wildlife Refuge is the official name.

This sign does not bode well for a motorcyclist who has ideas of riding the trails.

A stop at the Visitor's Center is in order.

The lady manning the center informs me that only cars are allowed on the trails.
It seems that people walking and riding bicycles (this includes motorcycles) disturb the bird population.
Automobiles are a part of the habitat,
The NY Thruway (I-90) passes right through the swamp and has accustomed the bird population.
She tells me that in a few weeks Snow Geese will be here.

Many rare species are found here.

At the back of the visitor's center are stairs leading to the veranda overlooking the refuge.

From here one overlooks the swamp and also discerns the traffic on the NY Thruway.

A spotting scope mounted on a pedestal invites the visitor to take a closer look.

It is powerful and brings in distant waterfowl.
Can I take a picture through the scope?
I bring the camera lens right up the the rear optic and snap the shutter.

Once in a while luck is on my side.

The visitor center closes for the day and everyone leaves.
I am left alone.
The trails tempt me.
Good thing I resist my bad impulses because on the way out I meet a State Trooper in an SUV.

I take the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail (rt 89) on the west side of Cayuga Lake to Ithaca.

I stop at Gold Sport Cycle. http://goldsportcycle.com/

I have an appointment to perform the 2000 mile service of the DR650 for Thursday of this coming week.

The bike is to brought in the day before because Jason, the mechanic, wants the bike cold for a valve adjustment.

A great day,
A great ride.
A great bike.
A great dinner waiting at home.
Perfect.

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Cannonsville Reservoir - New York City is thirsty

Monday
9-24-07
Whitney Pt, NY

It has been hectic this week past.
At daybreak the thermometer stood at 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
There is a touch of winter in the air.
The morning fog lies in the valleys like stagnant glaciers.
It will be a while before the sun gathers enough strength to dissipate the chilly dampness.

At 11 o'clock the temperature has risen sufficiently to clear the atmosphere.
It is getting warmer. I am itching for a motorcycle ride.
As I step off the porch three garter snakes are enacting a mating ritual.

I ride down to Binghamton on SR 11.

The leaves of the trees on the hills are turning into hues of orange, red and yellow.

I pay a social call to my friend Ken.
Ken owns a KLR650. We agree that one of these days we are taking off for a ride.
Eureka ( the tent people) has according to a recent email a grab box full of tarps for $5.00 a piece.
That seems worth a visit. The camping center is located on Conklin Rd also SR 7.
The place is closed.

I continue past the Broome County Industrial Park and cross the Susquehanna River turning on SR 11 south towards Great Bend, PA.

I am trying to come up with a riding destination.

The Cannonsville Reservoir near Deposit, NY. comes to mind.
Route 171 takes me East from Great Bend toward Susquehanna where I continue on Route 92 which becomes Route 79 in NY state.
At Windsor I turn East on route 28.

I stop at the bridge crossing the Susquehanna River to take picture.

Rt 28 takes me to Damascus where I get on Route 17 (future I-86).

At Deposit I turn onto route 10 which runs along the Cannonsville Reservoir.

The Cannonsville Reservoir came into being as a result of the building of a dam across the West Branch of the Delaware River.
The dam was built to create a reservoir for New York City's water supply.

View of the dam. The water level is low. Dry summer.

The village of Cannonsville and other settlements were sacrificed and drowned when the dam was closed in 1967 .

The people in these parts harbor unkind feelings toward New York City.

Many towns were drowned to squelch the City's thirst for water.

Not only by the creation of this Cannonsville reservoir but many other reservoirs as well. (see link below or click here)

It took the City nearly twenty years to begin conserving water by installing water meters beginning in 1986.
Until then no conservation measures were in place.

There are several parking areas with absorbing views.

Many row boats are waiting for a fisherman to cast bait.
About ten years ago engine driven boats were banned from the reservoir.

This scene of boats positioned along the shore is repeated many times.

A kiosk has been placed a short distance from County route 67.

Panels explain the history of Cannonsville and the other hamlets drowned in the waters.

A sign beyond the kiosk indicates that at this point Cannonsville lies beneath the water.

A short distance up the road County Route 67 leads to Hancock, NY.

Before Cannonsville was submerged the bodies of the deceased were relocated?

Not too far up the hill on rt 67 is a sign indicating the location of the Cannonsville cemetery.

I had planned to head north to Trout Creek after the bridge crossing the reservoir.
The sign stating that the road was closed pushed me farther east toward Walton, NY.

The reservoir is getting narrower.

As I am focusing the camera for this picture a lady in an SUV stops asking me if I am "ok".
I tell her: "I am hale, hearty and happy". She chuckles and travels on.

The sun is leaning toward the western horizon casting long glances on the water surface.

From the bridge leading to county route 268 I see the shadows getting longer across the water.

Behind me is the site where the hamlet of Granton once stood.

Farther up the road I look toward the site where Rock Rift was located.

In due time I enter the village of Walton.
I buy fuel at the Hess station. I am thirsty and go inside to purchase a drink.

"Pomegranate is good for you" says my wife. I choose a 16 oz can with this stuff in it.
"$2.47 please". I nearly choke. Too many people behind me so I hand over the money.

Outside I consume my drink. Walton was for a long, long time after Prohibition still a "blue" town.
Numerous cases of beer are carried off. The inhabitants of Walton are making up for lost time.
SR 10 joins SR 206 in Walton. I continue on rt 206 across the river.

The armory beyond the bridge looks like it is no longer in use.

In front of the armory is a monument honoring the men who gave their lives in WW II.

It lists the names of the fallen.

Next to the armory is the Grange building.

I wonder if this Grange is still active. The National Grange has a history of approx. 170 years.
It lobbied for better conditions for the nations' farmers. It provided impetus for the establishment of the
Extension Service, the Farm Credit system and Rural Free Delivery of the postal system.

Ever seen addresses listed as "RFD"? It was later shortened to "RD". Rural delivery.

On June 20th a killer wave sparked by heavy rains washed out an 8 mile section of route 206 north of Roscoe.
Several people lost their lives. Route 206 has been closed since that date from Downsville to Roscoe.

At Downsville I turn on route 30. It is the present detour for route 206.

Route 30 hugs and caresses the Beaverkill creek as it winds it way south through the valley.

The shadows are enveloping the valley.

At some curves I am nearly blinded by the setting sun.
I pass through Shinhopple, Harvard, Centerville ending at East Branch.

Every time I passed East Branch on route 17 I have wondered what the village is like. It looks idyllic from route 17.

The town's industry is blue stone.

Blue Stone is quarried in these parts of the Catskill Mountains.
Huge blocks are sawn into flat panels.

This yard stores a great quantity of blue stone ready for shipment.

Looking around the town I have to revise my observation from route 17.
It is not as idyllic as I thought it might be.

A few houses catch my eye.

The sun has left this town for the hills above.

It is about an hour from sunset.

I head west on route 17. A sign indicates 50 miles to Binghamton.
I have 75 miles ahead to Whitney Point.

When I get home it is dark.
Life is good. I am exhilarated. What a day.

The route

The magnitude of New York City's thirst for water:

http://bearsystems.com/losttowns/lost.html

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

In Search of the Tunkhannock RR Bridge

Monday, 8-6-07
After the usual morning fog the day broke with a heavy haze obscuring the view of the hills and valleys.
The high humidity and the heat determined this to be a "hazy lazy" day.
By noontime, after doing some "in house" chores, the day felt right for a ride.
The haze had cleared and the sun had brightened.

The Tunkhannock railroad bridge in Pennsylvania had come to my attention recently due to some posts by arcticmatt.

So I started out by taking NY SR 11 south from Whitney Point, NY through the city of Binghamton and on to SR 7 south.
After a brief conversational stop at a motorcycle shop in Conklin, NY I continued.

In Pennsylvania the route number changed to PA SR 29.
Route 29 is a route that proved to be a long stretch of narrow valleys, non-descript towns and many miles of double yellow lines with speed limits of 40 to 45 mph.

In Montrose a lady of very advanced age made an attempt to entice me to T bone her. (I need a very loud horn).
The village of Dimock stood out with hand fashioned road side signs promising free corn roast, free picnic and free concert for Aug 11th.

By mid afternoon I arrived in Tunkhannock. A busy prosperous looking town.
Not having the faintest idea where this railroad bridge is located, I turned right at a downtown intersection.
Stopped at Curry Donuts and got aired out in their parking lot.

Behind the donut store was a traveling circus. It was completely tranquil, nothing turning, no music, nothing. Only a few half clad men sauntering about.

A threesome of lanky teenagers ambling by gave me an opportunity to inquire about the where-abouts of the Tunkhannock Railroad Bridge.
It drew a complete blank.
After some thought they suggested that it may be on the east side of town because that is where the railroad is.
So I headed east.

A sign indicating "Visitors Info" to the rescue.
The lady informed me that the famous Tunkhannock Railroad Bridge is not located in Tunkhannock.
"It is located in Nicholson, up the road by following Rt 92 north, about 10+ miles from here."
A very nice ride to Nicholson. Coming into town I spot the bridge at the other side of the village.

This part of the town looks like it has seen better days. I park the DR and walk around taking pictures.

Up the road are signs indicating a junction of SR 11. If I take this route north I will end up in Great Bend.

Looking back at the bridge from rt 11 North:

SR 171 starts in Great Bend and the "Info" lady indicated that an other famous bridge is located in Starucca on rt 171. So I head north on PA SR 11.

North of Hop Bottom, just south of where SR 106 comes in, I did see what looks to be a twin to the bridge in Nicholson.
Big, long, of the same style and vintage.

In Great Bend I headed east on SR 171 south. A great ride with interesting twisties. Good pavement.

At Susquehanna, PA the road takes a right across a long bridge that looks to be a recent construction.
I stop on the bridge and take some pictures of the river.

Looking west:

Looking East:

At the end of the bridge I get a look at a very picturesque town. I am not stopping again to take a photograph.

While stopped on the bridge I had turned on my GPS and entered Starucca as the "goto" destination.
It led me along Rt 171 until I reached the village of Thompson.
The GPS dictated a left turn onto Rt 1005.

I have not yet spotted a railroad bridge, so I give up on the bridge and head for Starucca. Most of the roads have recently been "stoned". Caution is the "modus operandi".

In Starucca I should have taken a picture.
Later in the year when the stones and gravel have been relegated to the sides of the roads I will come back.

In Starucca I reset the GPS to Starlight. I know where that is, south of Hancock.
In Hancock I call home and get fuel. No more back roads for me.
I should head for home. The superslab now.

Coming down Hospital Hill in Binghamton on I-81 north a red minivan abruptly changes lanes into my path of travel.
The brakes of the DR are up to the situation as is the big rig on my heels.
I need a horn.

In due time I arrive home and sit down to a delicious dinner. At 73 life is good and getting better.

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Looking for an eagles nest in Northeast PA

8-28-07
For some time I have fancied taking some pictures of eagles in flight or on a nest site.
A Geocache south of Hancock, NY has been on my mind because it is in the vicinity of an eagles' nest.
I always like to have a goal for my rides so this Eagle's nest is it.

Starting in Whitney Point, NY I ride SR 11 south to and through Binghamton, NY and Rt 17 to Hancock, NY.

I am a somewhat undedicated geocacher and only get motivated by scenic surroundings. So I stopped at the parking area on Rt 17 (future I-86) near the top of Tuscarora Mountain.
After some trudging and triangulating I find the cache. It is a microcache. Where is my pen?
I will sign the log some other time.

Picture of the rest area on Tuscarora Mountain.

In Hancock I refuel and set out for the PA border where I feel compelled to pull into the parking lot of Smoking Joe.

This Joe is just short of the New York State border.

A steady stream of cars and pickup trucks is coming and going. The cash register must be ringing steadily.

A great variety of people enter the store.
People watching makes this a very interesting ride interlude.

In the vicinity of the Eagle's Nest Geocache I turn on the GPS.
I pass it and turn around a short distance down the road.
Coming back up I park in a very small and narrow pull-off spot.
Many trees. The canopy is thick.

It appears that the cache is located down the slope.
Motorcycle boots are not the ideal gear for clambering up and down a wet and tree shrouded mountain slope.

The Delaware River is down below.
Distracted by my navigational clambering I give up on the geocache and descend to the river.
An improvisational walking stick provided by Mother Nature comes in handy.

I am unable to sight eagles and conclude that early spring is the opportune time for this site.
Trees bearing no leaves is what is needed.

I sit down for a while taking in the slow flowing river and the island across the water.
The weedy bamboo plants have taken up residence along the shore of this river island.

On a previous ride I was unable to locate the Starrucca Viaduct.
This is an excellent opportunity to find it.
I ride north and turn on to Rt 370 West.
A well paved road with little traffic.

At the junction with rt 171 I turn north toward Thompson, PA.
Just a few miles south of Thompson I spot a field stone supplier.
Field stones have been the bane of my existence for many decades of my life.
I farmed it for many years and every spring rocks had to picked from the crop lands.
"Stone picking" is a very unpopular chore.
Seeing so many rocks packaged for shipment is a "must take a photo" stop.

Photo of Hobart, the supplier's office

Stone pile posing.

Continuing the ride I shudder at the thought of all the "stone picking" prior to building this inventory.
It is obvious that a delivery of prepacked field stone can add up to a substantial amount of money.

Passing through Thompson, PA I spot an old defunct mill with a race for its power supply. I forego the photo opportunity. Maybe some other time.

After passing a sign that indicates that I am entering the Borough of Lanesboro I come to a railroad bridge.
It is a concrete bridge.

I walk across the road to a auto body shop.
" Take a right. A quarter of a mile up the road."
My first sighting of the Starrucca Viaduct.

Farther up the road I turn right at a sign directing me to the village park.
Here is the Starrucca Viaduct ahead.

A man-made utilitarian structure that invokes in me reminiscenses of the magnificent European cathedrals built in the middle ages.

I sense that I am on a pilgrimage to honor man's crafting of monumental stone structures.

Chisel Marks

Close up the stones speak to me.
They tell of hard toil.
They bespeak pride of workmanship.

No traffic and no people. The arches are located in the yards of neatly kept houses. Idyllic.

The facts.

Reluctantly I resume my journey north to the NYS border. I must return someday.

In Windsor, NY I spot several motorbikes in front of a pub.
As I back up to the curb the owner comes out and greets me with:
"I want to own a bike like that".
He introduces himself as Tuff McBride.
A lengthy discussion ensues about dualsporting.
I inform Tuff that if he acquires a dualsport motorcycle he may as well sell his bike which is parked in front of the pub.
It has been airbrushed by a friend.

Tuff is a longtime speedway racer. He races local tracks on speedway bikes.
In the near future Tuff is heading for California to race at Costa Mesa Speedway.

Speedway bikes are specialized bikes without brakes. Speedway racing is another aspect of motorcycling that has avid enthusisasts.

Inside I order an alcohol free beer. "Coor's Non Alcoholic OK?"
"Sure".

Tuff inserts a video into the VCR player. It pictures him racing.
The action portrayed is mesmerizing, it holds me spellbound.

It turns out, according to Tuff's father who is seated next to me, that Tuff also boxed for a while.

McBride Sr also raced in his day.
The videos and the conversation are animating so I take one more N.A. beer.
More videos and more conversation.

The ride can wait.

Tuff's Mom is seated on the other side of his Dad.
They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last June.
Mine is coming up in February.

We agree that we have had a great life and that we both are blessed with a great wife.
"Would not trade her for anything or anyone!"

It is time to go.

Rt 79 north from Windsor turns out to be a great ride to Harpursville.

At the viaduct of I-88 I halt to check my voicemail.
The missus has left a message that dinner will be on the table shortly.

I get on the interstate and hightail it home via I-88 W and I-81 N.

Note:
Tuff McBride is sponsored by:
http://jbrspeedway.com/index.html

The bikes:
http://jbrspeedway.com/jbr_jawa/index.html

Costa Mesa Speedway:
http://www.costamesaspeedway.net/

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Monkey takes Homo Motorcyclus to a dead horse rally!

05-19 -2008

It has been a while, actually the entire long upstate NY winter that I attentend a motorcycle rally.
Merriam Webster defines "rally" as "a mass meeting intended to arouse group enthusiasm".
Group enthusiasm is what I am looking for; having spent most of the winter in solitude.
I need the company of kindred souls. Motorcycle riders that is.

Scanning the Advriders.com - East Regional forums

I spot a notice for a Deadhorse rally. Actually a Bash.
Being a lover of horses it attracts my attention. Also "Bash" sounds intriguing.

A Bash, a Rally and a dead horse? Let's look.

deerslayR has posted a notice informing the readers of an upcoming Deadhorse Spring Bash.
A week later he bumps the thread with a second post. ducky950 chimes in announcing when he is riding in.
After reading the link for a 2004 ride report I decide that this is for me.
So I bump the thread along with directions.

Friday arrives. My bike is packed but the rain comes down in sheets with no let-up predicted for the day.
Oh shoot. There goes a day off the looming fun.

Fiddle with the dry bags I bought at Wally's last fall, find a place for my bike's peg leg (sidestand for RH side).
Finally head back to the house hoping that Saturday is going to be better.

IT IS.

The sun is shining brightly. The missus is leaving for a do-gooders project and I am left with a few honey-doers.
After fixing that up I am ready to head out.

PiPi (short for Pithecus Pius) is also ready and will be sending up prayers while en-route.

The ride is only between 60 and 70 miles miles from home and promises NE PA scenery.

It is a chance to check the packing arrangements with adjustable Rok Straps and closed loop bungees.
No more regular bungees for me.

After an uneventful relaxing ride I arrive in due time at "The Site".
It is the first place on the left after I turn right on PA Rt 6.
The yellow "Cold Beer" sign can't be missed.
What is even more endearing is a sign stating that motorcyclists are welcome here.
Yousa this is gonna be good !!!

I ride up to the tavern trying to figure out how to get to those tents and people farther on at the rear of the property.
"Paul" emerges from Pat's Bar and volunteers directions.
Ride up the dirt path and park the bike behind a row of cabins.

Sauntering down the embankment to a walkway in front of the cabins I meet big tall robust smiling "Brian". My first handshake.
Brian clues me in so I ride the DR650 around the cabins to a spot below.

Setting up the tent is the first order of business.
Find a spot that has a very mild slope to it.
Good. Rain is in the forecast and I won't be sleeping in a puddle.
My Zeus Exo2 is up in a few minutes.

I demonstrate to Brian the doohickey I installed for keeping the rear vent open to facillitate ventilation.
I purchased this tent last fall from the Eureka Camping Center in Binghamton, NY (refurbished and a "deal").
The rants on the Net about this tent having poor ventilation have been ignored. Time will tell if my improvisational doohickey is the solution.

As I am parking the bike and while installing the "peg leg", the riders who went on a ride in the morning are returning.
"ducky950" and his cousin, whom I will call "dick" during my stay in deference to a monniker by which he is known, do the handshaking.

I introduce meself as "Old_Lion". This gets a smidgen of recognition.
We engage in a bit of getting to know one another..
Lovely Holli Caine appears and I make haste to part with the five dollars camping fee which I owe for all the fun that is about to come my way.

I saunter toward the tavern.
Meet up with Jim and Chocolate Chips (R)

Jim explains that this T-shirt which I am about to acquire entitles me to become a lifetime member of the nonexisting motorcycle club called "Deadhorse Club".
The shirt displays the logo on the front and the backside is emblazoned with a big question mark accompanied by the words "dazed and confused"
Dazed and confused? I like that. It speaks to me.

I gravitate toward a husband and wife couple who exude big smiles and have "goodwill" written all over them.
Meet "Pat" and her man. (Gosh I forgot his first name).
Pat is playing with Jim's mascot "Jeff" which does imitations of the "You may be a Redneck" routine.

My favorite routine. I collect those sayings.
We also discover that they come to my neck of the woods regularly. They have relatives practically living in my backyard.
Up walks DeerslayR (Doug) who engages with Pat and her man in a discussion of the 1972 (?) Guzzi Eldorado he his rebuilding.
DeerslayR is of Welsh descent but he does not sing. He plays trumpet.
My kind of people.

I take leave and open the door to the tavern. Order up a Pabst (NA).
Yea. Yea don't go there because I will bore you with a lengthy tale of a recently discovered medical condition.
For those in the know be it sufficient that I read labels and this can has 13.5 grams of carbohydrates. It sucks but what are yugonnado?

Animated discussions with "Tim". He has come down with wife and son "Judson" from the Albany, NY. area. They are longstanding deadhorses.

Back outdoors I hold a can of Pabst NA just so I can mix unobtrusively.
After all this has been labelled on the Deadhorse.com site as a beer swilling contest.

Pat Caine (Holli's husband) fells a tall cherry tree.
I mistake this tree for a choke cherry. Pat informs me that this is a real cherry.
To my way of thinking we owe Pat a great deal. Imagine felling a real cherry tree for a campfire.

The campfire gets underway.

I have been made aware a few times that there are victuals in the shed to the west of the camp fire.
A big pot is cooking up a chili stew. Gosh this is one heck of a place and gathering.
There is magic here. It is a fantasy land. I will not be surprised if Bilbo Baggins emerges from the woods.

Meanwhile others gather.

We take a seat or stand around the campfire. Dusk fades and darkness is upon us.

The beer is taking effect and we are feeling good.
Due to some latent Pavlov reaction/conditioning the NA Pabst seems to be doing its job along with the real beer of the bystanders. Amazing.

Around 11 pm I head for the tent. I made the bed earlier and all I have to do is back up into the Exo2.
I place my glasses in the side pocket. Turn on the flashlight with headband and check that all is well and organized inside the tent.
My sneakers are placed in the vestibule.
All is OK and ready for a night excursion to the bushes.

I contemplate turning on my mp3 player but decide against the Goldberg Variations by Bach.
I am ready for a bit of sleep. I don't need assistance.
After a few hours I awake to a much quieter night.

Revelling at the campfire is still going strong but a chorus of snoring deadhorses is keeping the revellers' joy muted in the background.

I turn on my headlamp and fumble for the earplugs. It does not help much.
I get up and head for the bushes. The snoring is barely audible.

Getting back at ground level in my tent, the sonorous low frequency snoring is strong.
Elephants can communicate with low frequency rumbles beyond human hearing for distances exceeding many miles.
Snoring deadhorses are not far behind.

I get up again and head for the campfire.

I slept fitfully and feel rested anyway.
Pat Caine is seated at the fire along with several deadhorses.

Harry who rode in on his orange 2006 Harley is there also.
He is dressed in full leathers, chaps and all.
Harry says the cabin is cold and sleeping while seated on a bench in front of the fire is preferable to sleeping in a cold cabin.

After a few hours and when day is breaking I head back to my tent for a pre-dawn nap.
I wake to hustle and bustle behind me. Paul is wrapping up his tent.
A bike is started. It revves and the rider seems to be one of the first ones to leave.

I take a picture of the tent emblem. Rain drops are on the outside.

Of yours truly.

My newly acquired shirt denoting my membership and becoming a proud deadhorse.

Not wanting this to end I head back to the campfire. Harry is asleep.

Slowly and reluctantly I start packing.
I don't really want this to end, I want to stay here.

After packing I head for the bar where Holli Caine is serving a hearty breakfast for a donation.
I thank Pat Caine for being such a generous and gracious host. My thoughts are on the cherry tree.

I start my bike and head for home, comforted by the knowledge that
on August 1, 2 and 3 I will be at the Deadhorse/Ducati Jimmy Rally at Chet’s Place

Thanks to all the deadhorses who granted me such a wonderful weekend.

Old-Lion - George

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Deadhorses at Chet's August 2008

08-03-2008

Directions to Chet's Place:
Follow the signs for Elk Mountain on RT 106 off I-81.

I am at Elk Mountain - no sign of Chet's Place.
At the intersection of Rt 374 and a county route I meet up with two riders who motion me back up the road.
Brief conversation.
Yep they are headed for Chet's Place.

Bringing up the rear there is that sign again. 90 degrees alright.
Can't miss the sign.
Turn into the dirt road.

Ah!
Chet's Place ahead.
Down the dirt path to the campground out back.
Set up the tent alongside my friend Alex (xtapodius)

Deadhorses come in a car.
Debbie has an injured back and can't ride pillion but we do come.
(Hear Ye Deerslayer)

The campground is filling up

Who did Jim say were here?

More tents than bikers
Some Deadhorses must be out on a ride.

Beerhead and Alex. Where are you from?

Pinky is here

Who plays chicken?

Or is it destined to have its entrails read for a forecast of the future?

Jim is in the kitchen.
All is well with the Deadhorses and the world.
Thank the heavens for Jim.
(Yes he did the T-shirts. Moss Green this time).

Tim behind the counter and who are those guys?
R-L. Jim who was once postal. Alexandros. Drummer (Lincoln Center in resume).
Jim is wearing the latest issue of the shirt.

Guzzi talk

To the bar.
Order up a few sandwiches and beer.
Pay Jackie for a yellow wristband signifying that camping fee has been paid.
A few more beer.

RPD1 (Ryan) has arrived and joins us.

Darkness. The fire has been lit and a few six packs are on the table.
I like the "Summer Ale" . (Deerslayer is that good enough for a toast?)
Music at the bar till the wee hours of the morning.
Most of the Deadhorses are at the bar.

====

Morning.
Am I the only one looking for company?

This rock detests small talk.

Breakfast. Jim you are THE MAN!

Time to pack

Which bike is this going on?

Will these boots still fit?

Got it.

Outta here

Another heading out

Santa is ready to go too.
He needs an MSF class. Teaching him where to look.

Can you beat this smile.

Thanks Folks for a GREAT WEEKEND!

George

This what Google Satellite Map shows

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Exploring South Worcester, NY

6-26-2008

I am going to explore the hiways and byways surrounding South Worcester.
South Worcester is located in the Charlotte Creek Valley, east of Oneonta.
Route 23 is the perfect route to get there..
The route traverses the north-south ridges of Central New York and offers vistas at nearly every bend in the road.

The ride is glorious and affirms in me again the sense that motorcycling is really worth living for.

As I enter Oneonta I can't resist to take a left on route 7.
Then I go straight on Winney Hill road.
Don't ask why.
When I see a road name with the word "hill" in it I am apt to become inspired for off the beaten path exploring.

After some wandering through the Oneonta hinterlands I end up on Route 7 East and pass through Colliersville.
Colliersville strikes a chord.
Before I-88 was built we used to travel via Route 7 from Binghamton to Albany.
This Colliersville was a village in what was a never ending string of villages one had to pass through on the way to the State Capital.

At Route 28 I decide that a bit of Eastbound I-88 is in order.

At the Schenevus exit I turn left toward the village.
Colliersville has awakened an interest in long forgotten places.
Schenevus like Colliersville has not changed much.

I take a picture of the Chief Schenevus Bakery and Restaurant.

Chief Schenevus is a matter of legend

Then I return to the Interstate exit and ride up the hill I had spotted earlier.
Buttermilk Farms signs display arrows.
I follow the arrows.
It has been a long time since I tasted buttermilk.
On the other side of the hill I turn toward South Worcester.

I pass a cemetery. Turn around !! LINKY
Most of the graveyard is overgrown with tall weeds and brush.
A very tall monument stands at the end of a small patch that has been mowed.

Joshua Sawyer is buried here.

This monument seems more recent than the stones behind it.

South Worcester is a sleepy little village.

The Charlotte Valley Inn is in the center.

If you don't like camping and still want to relax with the rest of us, here is your opportunity.

On the way toward the village I had passed a sign indicating that Timothy Murphy lived on this farm.

It is one of those signs which were put up by the New York State Education Department in the 1930's.
Timothy was a famous revolutionary war soldier.
He was a sharp shooter who possessed a double barrel gun.
He is credited with having shot General Simon Fraser at the Battle of Saratoga.

I have seen enough of the hills and the environs near South Worcester.
The area is rustic. Time has passed it by.
Perfect area for camping and exploratory riding.

I head west through the Charlotte Creek Valley and take a right on Route 23 towards Oneonta.
At the western edge of Oneonta I turn on to I-88 West.
Unadilla is on my mind.
I need gas and I want to take a picture of the bridge on River Road between Unadilla and Sidney.
A few years ago I-88 was washed out during a heavy rainstorm.

Two tractor trailers fell into the raging waters.

http://www.co.delaware.ny.us/flood_2...ges/Slide5.JPG

The drivers lost their lives.
One of the rigs was washed down the creek all the way to the bridge on River Road.

No gas in Unadilla. The village is out of power.
State Police is putting up flares at the non functioning traffic lights.
So on to Sidney via the River Road.
I stop at the bridge to take a photo of the creek.

Across the street from the gas station are three riders with bikes.
Two sport bikes and a Harley.
The Harley rider has a problem.
The other riders are pushing him seated on the bike down a grassy embankment.
It looks like he can't get his HD started.

After filling my tank I ride over to the parking lot.

"This is the first time I have seen a Harley rider attempting off-road riding."
It gets a glimmer of a smile.

"What gear are you trying to start it in?"
"First".

"Try starting with them pushing you down the lot in third gear.'"
He shrugs.

"Try it, you have too much compression for first gear."

The bike roars to life and everyone is happy.

Back on I-88 I get off at the Bainbridge exit.
Route 206 will take me back to Whitney Point.

As always when heading west into the sun I get the urge to just keep on riding.
The other side of the continent beckons.
Maybe some day.
Today I have to mow the lawn after supper.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Lunch at Rt 96 Diner

5-23-2009

Today I rode for lunch to the Rt 96 Diner a few miles south of Ovid, NY.

I had a great lunch.

Mike and Dawn are doing an excellent job.
Dawn looks back on a long career in food preparation.

The diner has been in business since 1953.

It is located at the intersection of
County Route 139 and SR 96 a few miles south of Ovid.

Nice ride into the Finger Lakes Region of New York.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Two Day Trip in Northern Vermont, NH and Maine

Sunday Morning. Oct 4. 2009

RPD1 and I met at about 10 a.m. at the intersection of Rt 108 and RT 15
in Jeffersonville Vt.
The sun made an appearance.
Rt 108 to Bakersfield and a side road past the Bakersfield Golfcourse to Rt 105. Richford, North Troy and Newport, VT

Lake Memphremagog at Newport, VT

A Puddle and a Lake.

From there via Rt 105 to Island Pond (spotted a few not so young hippies with very long hair).
Rt 3 to Colebrook, NH where we stopped for a break.
I purchased a BLT at the Subway and stuck it beneath the net.
RPD1 asked if I was interested in going up to Pittsburg, NH and
the Connecitcut Lakes.

RPD1 had found a road on Google Maps to Wilsons Mills, ME.
http://tinyurl.com/yat4krl
(If we took that shortcut we would have to double back to Dixville Notch the next day.)

Beyond Pittsburg are the Connecticut Lakes.
Headwaters of the Connecticut River.

North we rode on Rt 3.
RPD1 is blessed with an amazing visual accuity and spotted this bridge
down below the road near Pittsburg complete with rapids.

On we rode to the First Connecticut Lake.

We had talked with a gentleman, who sauntered across the covered bridge,
about the shortcut to Wilsons Mills. He advised that we go to Wilons Mills, ME via Erroll, NH.

We took his advice and turned around stopping at Francis Lake dam.

The height of the dam has been increased with lumber.

The spillway at the dam.

Downstream are anglers.

We returned to Colebrook, NH via route 145.
An exhilarating ride. Tight turns and sweepers.
Very much recommended if one is ever up in that part of NH.

On to Dixville Notch.

Don't be looking for any homes. There none along the road.
Across from a pond along the road and across from the above
road sign is the Balsams Resort.

On the north side of the road is this sign.

A close-up.

For both of us this is a place not to be missed.

The scenery provides "the leafpeepers" with a magnificent reward.

We rode the Dixville Notch twice back and forth.
Going west the road provides a humped surprise that will
boost one's adrenaline.

We stopped in Errol for gas and sundry items and then rode
on to the Black Cove Campground.
http://www.blackbrookcove.com/

It was 15 minutes before dark when we arrived.
Nobody andswered the door but a note stated that sites 26, 27 and 28
were open sites.
RPD1 walked down and determined the location.
He set up camp in site 28 and I took site 27.

My campsite.

Next morning when we were packing the owner of the campground came by and we paid our dues.
We had a decent night's rest and backtracked to the dam we had crossed the night before a few miles west of the campground.

RIDE REPORT FOR THE SECOND DAY OCT. 5th, 2009

Left the campground and rode back to the dam.
RPD1 took pictures. I did not.

Approx. 10 a.m. we rolled into Rangeley, ME.
looking for a place for breakfast.
An inquiry in front of this place led to us to parking the bikes.

Service was a little slow but the "Rangeley Special" breakfast for $5.99 was so huge that I did not need to eat for the rest of the day.

Next we headed for Kingfield, ME
Route: http://tinyurl.com/ydj9xhl

At the refueling stop in Kingfield, ME we feasted our eyes on the
Herbert Grand Hotel.

Down the road and across from the gas station we took some pictures
of the dam and the river.

Route 16 took us to the intersection with rt 146 where Rt 16 was closed due to road rebuilding and we detoured on Rt 146.
Route: http://tinyurl.com/ybdto6s

The detour had its rewards in the form of the Wired Bridge at New Portland, ME.
RPD1's eagle eye spotted the bridge through the woods and detoured.
http://www.bridgemeister.com/pic.php?pid=176

RPD1 taking a picture.

RPD1 walking across the bridge.

The bridge is being repaired.

The cables which suspend the bridge are each made up of 350 straight strands of steel wire wrapped in wire which is currently being replaced.
The foreman told me that the tensile strength of a single wire is 150 lbs.

A car rolled on to the bridge causing the deck to undulate as it traveled across.

We traveled back to Rt 16 ahead of the detour via a set of dirt roads.
Dirt roads nearly as smooth as a paved road.
Little did we know that within 30 minutes our trip would come to an
abrupt ending.
On Rt 234 (Anson Valley Road, New Vineyard, ME) RPD1 pulled over.

http://tinyurl.com/ycdvuru

He informed me that the beemer would not shift.
To make a long story short he arranged for a tow to Farmington, ME
and a rented pick-up truck.

After the beemer was loaded I headed for I-95 and Portsmouth, NH.
Took the Spaulding Turnpike and Rt 4 to Concord, NH,
On Tuesday Oct 6th I rode home.

We had two splendid days.

George

P.S. The beemer's transmission suffered a stripped spline.
RPD1 took it to MAXBMW in North Hampton, NH where it was to
be repaired.

FOLLOW UP

RPD1 posted on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512863

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD1
They did a great job.

They got it all back together and I rolled out of there a little after 7 pm last night. I don't think I could have ended up at a better shop. Oh, I've got lots of pictures and maybe a story or two.
Right now I am holed up back in the Northeast Kingdom. There's some more traveling to be done.

I'am preparing for next year.
Want to see more of Maine and Quebec.
Quebec's mountains beckoned at various times while we traveled
along the border.
The siege of Quebec City is of interest.
The Kennebec River along which we had planned a ride is to be explored.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Attending Vintage Trials Competition

Vintage Trials Competition
Sunday July 11th, 2010
170 Squires Road, Erin, NY 14838
(Map)

My friend Deron Johnson is competing in this Vintage Trial Competition.

The loop is one mile long including the trail to the sections.
There are eight sections.
The maximum number of points is 40 for the loop.
The loop must be run five times.
A total of 200 points is obtainable.
The event is self scoring.
The trajectory is indicated by colored arrows and tapes.
A pen is provided at the finish of ech section. etc etc.

The next time I will bring my SLR camera.
It has higher ISO capabilities.
The pictures taken in the gully and ravine were underexposed or the riders
appeared blurry due to large lens opening and slow exposure speed.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

Trip from Whitney Pt, NY to Marlinton, WV

July 13th, 2011

BIKE IS READY FOR THE TRIP TO THE B.Y.O.B. IN MARLINTON, WV

AT THE MOTEL IN WEST VIRGINIA

My trusty steed in the lower left hand corner.

Left home 6:00 a.m. on Thursday, June 9, 2011
Rode I-81 down to I-64 (Lexington, VA).
Picked up Rt 39 to Marlinton, WV.

Map of trip:

Returned home on Monday, June 13, 2011
starting at 6:30 a.m.
Map of trip:
http://tinyurl.com/5rvsa5k

Scorching heat wave going down to West Virginia.
Pretty cool coming back.
I had left the liner of my jacket home.
My windbreaker was put on in Elkins, WV.
It made enough of a difference to endure the cold.
LINK TO POCAHONTAS TIMES STORY

DAN AND I ENJOYING OURSELVES

MY FRIENDS - JEFF AND DAN

MY FRIENDS - MARK AND MARK AND JEFF

HOME AGAIN

GREAT TRIP

Home at 6:30 p.m.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

I fled from the Americade

6-10-2008

Left Friday morning for the Americade.
After I had a look around I went on to VT, Saturday to Loudon, NH, Sunday to Potsdam, NY, and yesterday at 12 noon back home.
2007 DR650 completely stock including the seat. Ebay BBQ rack with two dry bags (wally) on top and a Wolfman set of tank panniers.

Attached Images

Here are just a few pictures.
Intrinsically I am a mileage hog and still have to figure out how to take pictures on the fly with a cheap camera.
These pictures were taken with my Razr phone when I reported my whereabouts.

Lake George:

After looking around in Lake George I fled from the Americade.
Too many people. Went back to I-87 and rode up to the Route 8 exit.
Took Route 8 over to Route 9N (Hague).
On top of the route I encountered low ceiling clouds with very little visibility.

My first overnight stay at the shores of Lake Champlain on the Vermont side. The weather was improving.

The following day I visited some more relatives in Middlebury and Salisbury, VT and then took Route 4 from Rutland, VT to White River Junction.
Route 4 provided a challenge in the form of road construction for about 8 to 10 miles west of Woodstock.
Stretches of grooved pavement and dirt.
The new Pirelli MT-21 on the rear was up to the task.
I stopped at the Lebanon rest area on I-89 in NH.

Then I stopped at a nephew near New London, NH.
Admired two KX250's and proceeded to Loudon, NH where I stayed overnight with my son.

Sunday morning I left from there going up Rt 106, shortcut bypass at Belmont onto I-93 north.
When Franconia Notch became visible I stopped along the road for another phone call.

North of Franconia Notch was a warning sign stating that Moose were ahead for the next 5 miles.
Would I be lucky enough to spot one?
Alas, all I saw was a big dried brown patch of manure on the slow lane after a few miles. Oh well.

When I got off I-89 North of Burlington for the Lake Champlain Islands I made another call.

After crossing over from Rouses Point, VT to Champlain, NY I stopped at the McD for a fish sandwich and cleaning my visor.
It was bug covered.
Struck up a conversation with another old fellow on a Goldwing from Sherbrooke east of Montreal.
(Je parle Francais un petit-peu.)
He was returning from the Americade.
I did not ask him why he did not ride I-91 up.

I rode NYS Route 11 to the St Regis Campground at the east the side of Sandfordville ( a small hamlet near Potsdam).
A thunderstorm in the very early morning had me pack up a wet tent.

I rode across the SUNY Potsdam campus on Monday morning to get a feel for the place where my oldest grandson will be spending the next four years.

In Canton I had a tractor trailer ahead of me offering the prospect of looking at it all the way to Watertown.
Consequently I took Rt 68 to Ogdensburg and then Route 37 to I-81 exit 48.

Hightailed it home from there on I-81 south. Mostly leaned over.
A quick stop at the McD in Adams for breakfast.

Walked in the door at noon.
The afternoon was hot and sunny and dried out the tent in fifteen minutes.

The missus asked me this morning where I will be going next.
Don't know yet.
Maybe Canada or Quebec.
I have to investigate the festivities of the 400 year Quebecois celebrations.

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 07:27 PM
Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

K - R Motorcycle Salvage, Smithboro, NY

6-11-2008

A few weeks ago the motorcycle salvage yard near the Nichols exit on route 17/future I-86 was mentioned.
Today I rode over and took a few pictures.

The building

The workshop

Storage bins and numerous axles on the floor

What are you looking for?

How many front suspensions do you need?

More bins

I did not go upstairs in the barn.
The walls everywhere are lined with fuel tanks.

Out amongst weeds

Keep looking

Find it hard to believe? It is unbelievable!

George

Plug and Plug.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Old_Lion OP
Crotchety Biker

July 4th Campout -Ambajesus Lake - Millinocket, ME

7-10-2010

I trailered my DR650SE up to Loudon, NH on Thursday.

On Friday I rode from Loudon, NH to a camp site on Ambajesus Lake north of Millinocket, ME.
Here are a few shots of the trip.

The Mountain Road beckoned.
Wind speed 55 mph with higher gusts.

I will do that some other time.
Chicken.

I continued to Gorham, NH and took Rt 2 East to Newport, ME.
North to Dover-Foxcroft, East to Milo, North to Millinocket.

Entrance to the Camp at Ambajesus Lake, North of Millinocket, ME

Down the hill to the shore.

Available camping space was tight.

Slope up from the dock.

Outhouse Illuminated By Candlelight.

First view from my tent the following morning around 5 a.m.

No wind. Silence interrupted by Loons out on the lake.
A slice of heaven.

Bob got up before me and occupied the prime spot on the dock.

View of driftwood from the dock.

The sun is up.

Sunday Morning.

The beer from micro brewer Long Trail in Bridgewater, VT was terrific.
Having a sweet tooth I preferred the Blackberry Wheat

http://www.longtrail.com/home.html

On Sunday Morning I was torn between staying another day like most of the other Deadhorses or leaving like a few others.
After a few days of camping I get antsy and the road beckons.
I like to ride.
At 10 a.m. Sunday I rode off.

My intentions were to travel I-95 down from Medway, ME to the Sabattus/Lisbon, ME exit and then ride the backroads to Loudon, NH

Stopped at Orono, ME to refuel and ate a BLT sandwich at McD.

At Sabattus I refuelled.
It was blazing hot on the byway.
So I returned to I-95 for speed and cooling airstream.
NH Rt 4 and rt 106 to Loudon, NH.

On Monday I trailered two purchased trials bikes (1974 TY250 and 1972 Montesa Cota 348) back home.

A second wheel chock has been installed on this trailer owned by
www.johnsonmotors1.com

Harbor Freight has a special on these chocks for $39.90.
I picked one up for my own single bike trailer yesterday.

On Wednesday I fetched my DR650 from Loudon, NH.

This coming week I will return to NH to pick up another TY250 trials bike.

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 07:54 PM