User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #16
Rnoser
1200GS

Oddometer: 13
Woo hoo!

After your great AK RR I've been anxiously awaiting your TAT RR! Safe travels!
Rnoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #17
austin
Mr. Stache

Oddometer: 26
Great read, epic photos! Thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
toddbrule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Great start to your TAT adventure!!
Thanks for sharing

Regards,

Todd
toddbrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #19
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
thanks for sharing....great Adventure
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
toolhorder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
I was following along with your report, how are you healing up?
Doing well, thanks for asking.

Very much digging the photos so far.
toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
MOTORCYCLES $$$$

WIFE / GIRLFRIEND

RIDING THE T.A.T. WITH YOUR MAIN SQUEEZE PRICELESS
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #22
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Clearing the Rockies...

TAT Day 3

We woke up to a chilly morning in Silverton .

I had searched the previous evening on the internet, and as best I could tell Ophir Pass was still closed on the backside – we were gonna have to re-route.

But there are definitely worse roads to have to re-route on than The Million Dollar Hwy :

We were able to pick the trail back up right outside Telluride, when it re-merges with the Hwy.

Then it was back onto some forest roads.

Through the San Juan National Forest.

Where we pick up the 4wd jeep trail.

It seems like we are the first ones through here this year, due to all the downed trees still blocking the path.

And of course, it was my Manly Duty to clear the path, which was easy for the first obstruction.

But the next was a bit more stubborn…

That’s okay… I am carrying all this junk for a reason – Let’s see what I have to remedy this situation.

Meet Mr. Mini Hatchet,... Mr. Mini Hatchet meet the tree.

Of course, I am only removing the bare minimum that I need to get the bikes through (screw any jeeps or ATV's passing through – they have room for a chain saw).

A couple hundred feet later and

This is starting to get a little old now. I should have taken the helmet and jacket off for this one, as it took much more effort to get through it .

Success – I must have been having trouble lifting my arms any higher at that point.

The next couple of downed trees, we were able to use a go-around through the woods for.

Then we had a little of this, just in case we had gotten bored.

Eventually we were let out onto some fast gravel roads through the remainder of the forest, and into Dove Creek.

After a Gas & Gatorade fix in Dove Creek CO, we crossed over into Utah, and headed for the little town of La Sal on some fast and fairly straight roads.

The tiny town of La Sal, UT has a little convenience store, but no gas (just FYI). We had to drain out some of that Gatorade that had been filtered through our kidneys, so we stopped in the store. I asked the nice woman who was working at the store how long she reckoned it would take us to get to Moab – It was kinda getting late in the afternoon. I phrased it something like, “So, we are going to Moab via the La Sal Mountains, and…” – she cut me off and said “oh, are you?” ....... “Aren’t we?” I asked. She informed me that the last she heard the passes were still closed over the La Sal’s, and on top of that, they had just gotten snow up there 2 days ago. (I later confirmed this from Machtig's report ) Bummer. I had sorta figured we would miss a bit in Colorado, but I hadn’t really thought about the La Sal’s being an issue. Glad we stopped in for a pee. So instead we routed over the Hwy (191) and into Moab for the night where we stayed at a stinky campground.

We plan for an early start tomorrow morning, with hopes of making it to Salina, UT. I knew it was going to be a pretty tough and long day (with all the canyons and whatnot), I just didn’t know how tough, and long.

Mileage Today: 265

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #23
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 282
So glad to be reading the continuing adventures of Jordan and Nikki once again !!! Great RR , keep up the great writing and pictures !!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Nice rides and nice ride. What's up with the gate?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #25
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,552
You guys are amazing, I thought your last report was great, this one is great also!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
TAT Day 3

Jordan

Man, sure would have been nice to have somebody open the gate for me!! I was beyond exhausted right there having ridden from Westcliff that day.

Awesome report, I can hardly wait to see how everything turned out!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #27
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Great RR! We should do a ride sometime together(with the girls). I live about a hour from you and we are close to the same ages of you two(we're 30 and 26) and we ride the same bike. The first week of Sept, the TWT forum is hosting a ride in the Ozark mountains with everybody staying in Clarksville, Arkansas. They will have pavement only, mixed and off road only routes. Im taking the Wee, with girlfriend as pillion, and since ive never ridden the Ozarks, or Ark for that matter, this going to be EPIC. I think the official dates are Sept 2-5 and there are about 50 people registered already. The weather is 80-85 for highes and 50-55 for lows.....cant wait to escape this 106 degree weather. Be safe!
whittrated03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #28
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,082
Just arrived and catching up... subscription is entered!

Pat in NH

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #29
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,792
This is great...

Last year when my buddy and I came through this area it was pouring rain, I got caught in the left rut doing about 35 mph couldn't get out and/or slowed down enough and hit the log laying along the road with my tool tube and engine gaurd. Had tools strung out for 50 ft. My buddy came back looking for me just as I was finishing gathering myself back together. If it hadn't been for that tool tube and engine gaurd, our ride may have ended right there with a broken foot or ankle. Turned out to be our only day of rain and my favorite day of riding during the trip. I won't tell you about my buddies get-off a little while later at about 50mph. it was one slick ass ride down the hill to that gate.
Sorry for the hi-jack, had to share that memory. Great ride.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post

Last year when my buddy and I came through this area it was pouring rain, I got caught in the left rut doing about 35 mph couldn't get out and/or slowed down enough and hit the log laying along the road with my tool tube and engine gaurd. Had tools strung out for 50 ft. My buddy came back looking for me just as I was finishing gathering myself back together. If it hadn't been for that tool tube and engine gaurd, our ride may have ended right there with a broken foot or ankle. Turned out to be our only day of rain and my favorite day of riding during the trip. I won't tell you about my buddies get-off a little while later at about 50mph. it was one slick ass ride down the hill to that gate.
Sorry for the hi-jack, had to share that memory. Great ride.

Awesome story! No worries about a thread hi-jack. That's my favorite part about reading other people's Ride Reports from places you have been. You get to see different pictures of a place you have been to.

I can't imagine that section if it had been raining.

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote