Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #46
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Day 4 Continued...

Once out of Black Dragon we picked up some faster roads...

that brought us by some shots I have seen many a time from other TAT Trip Reports .

And then by Swasey Cabin.

(I always find it funny when you see an iconic thing like the cabin in real life. Iconic in ADV terms of course, but it is funny how you build a mental image of the orientation of the structure vs. it’s surroundings, and then how much it varies when you see it in real life.)

Dunno ...

Again, we left our mark for any TAT’ers that followed

Looks like we got someone a day ahead of us on the TAT.

At this point it is probably getting near 3pm. Still a bit early to stop, and with it being so hot out, the thought of stopping wasn’t that appealing. We were both starting to wear down, and the transit section to here was long enough to lose the buzz from riding through Black Dragon. Time to get re-invigorated with some visual stimulants.

We drop down into Eagle Canyon .

Which was really fun .

Not as rocky as earlier...

but starting to get a little more sandy .

Coming to the rescue ...

I remember at one point thinking that this riding seemed easier than Black Dragon. It wouldn’t last…

And then we came to what is probably the most epic of all landmarks on the Western TAT: The I-70 Bridges.

It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I don’t know why.

We took the obligatory picture:

And Nikki left a marker in the sand, as this is probably a popular stopping spot.

We hung around for a bit, staring at the bridges. A ride like this certainly allows you to gain a sort of appreciation for infrastructure. Those people driving across I-70 have no idea how easy they have it. It takes all of 5 seconds to cross that bridge at 75mph, but this canyon would have just been a total route buster for the pioneers back in the day.

We push on…

I was hoping that the trail would get easier from here on out – we still had quite a bit further to travel if we were going to make it to Salina tonight, but I knew we still had a couple of canyons to get through first.

A gnarly climb up out of Eagle Canyon…

Looking back down...

Then crossing back under I-70.

And crossing through Devil’s Canyon.

And finally into Cat Canyon.

This was by far the toughest section for us, and it was very slow going. We don’t have any sand riding experience, and there are a few miles through here of really deep sand .

Probably didn't help to have the bikes so loaded with gear through here either.

If there had been an easy bailout to I-70 here I would have taken it. I am glad there wasn’t. I am proud we rode through it all. It’s all part of traversing the canyons. I didn’t take hardly any pictures through this area. I should have. The pics I took don’t do the sand any justice. But it is all relative anyhow. If you are experienced at riding sand then you probably loved this section, and that’s cool .

I knew we must be getting close to picking up some faster roads when I saw this graffiti.

We were close to some better roads, but we were still quite a ways from any towns. I guess that stuff was done before gas got so high. Who could afford to drive all the way out here now just to do some graffiti ?

Soon we were passing by the giant turds. Or were they volcanic rock, I forget ?

And not too long after we were hitting the I-70 frontage road.

And passing through these tunnels.

They were really neat. I wonder how they were carved, as they are quite old. By hand?

I took this shot over my shoulder last year while we were coming down I-70:

Very cool to see them up close!

We make it in to Salina a little after 9pm, and snagged ourselves a well deserved Motel room and some Gatorade. It was an intense 12 hour riding day for us. Not too bad considering we don’t ride really fast. We stop a lot. Fall a little. And take a ton of pictures.

I felt like we had conquered the toughest part of the TAT. I wasn't quite sure what tomorrow would bring us in the way of terrain difficulty - I knew we would be on some atv trails. I figured it was all downhill from here. But the problem for Nikki was, what if that downhill has ruts?

Jordan

well deserved - "YES I would have to agree" Motel room

Not too bad - "NOT TOOOOO bad at all" considering we don’t ride really fast. We stop a lot. Fall a little. And take a ton of pictures.

"AND do all this posting too."

Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #47
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
I put this as a wallpaper (living vicariously through your trip til' one day I can do the ride) and not sure if you meant to do this but with the slight blurring at the bottom of the pics it sorta gives the illusion of movement and the pics are so clear/large it's like we get to be there...or maybe I'm just . Good luck to you and your lady on the rest of the trip!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #48
mathewsturtevant
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
WoW

You guys are awesome!! I am maybe heading out to sample some of the TAT next week. How hot is it when you are riding these canyons? (Black Dragon, Cat, Eagle). I am down in Austin, TX and it's 105 degrees out and I just can't get comfortable with the thought of getting stuck(flat tire, mechainical issue) if it's super hot in those remote canyons,..maybe I'll just cruise the mountains of Colorado and come back in October to ride some Utah desert canyons.
I know I worry too much and I know it wouldn't be an adventure if it was easy, but if I knew it was only 85 or 90 degrees out, I could deal with it even if I had to hike out in a worst case scenario.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 11:33 PM
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #49
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
larryboy,

Do you have any idea where those glyph's are located in the canyon? Maybe near the beginning where that wooden fence thing is? I thought it would be obvious once in there (like maybe a crummy BLM sign with an arrow pointing that-a-way) , but it wasn't and I ended up forgetting about seeing them until we were through. I was kinda bumped about that - I was looking forward to seeing them.

Jordan

Yeah, they'd be at the wooden fence, I'm still a little bummed I didn't know to look for the Black Dragon. Here is a nearby one:

I learned that the BLM doesn't sign them, but they do fence them off to keep vehicles back a bit.

You had to cross under the freeway near the 'Impassable' sign to find these, there was a small arch over there too.

I forget the exact turns now, but my next picture after these 'glyphs was the cabin before the twin bridges.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #50
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
You guys are awesome!! I am maybe heading out to sample some of the TAT next week. How hot is it when you are riding these canyons? (Black Dragon, Cat, Eagle). I am down in Austin, TX and it's 105 degrees out and I just can't get comfortable with the thought of getting stuck(flat tire, mechainical issue) if it's super hot in those remote canyons,..maybe I'll just cruise the mountains of Colorado and come back in October to ride some Utah desert canyons.
I know I worry too much and I know it wouldn't be an adventure if it was easy, but if I knew it was only 85 or 90 degrees out, I could deal with it even if I had to hike out in a worst case scenario.

I don't know exactly how hot it was actually in the canyons, but I know Green River, UT had a forecasted high that day of 103. It was hot when you would stop, but since you were sweating quite a bit, it felt really nice when you were moving. A lot lower humidity too - It would probably feel like Autumn to you, just being out of that Austin humidity . If you go for it, just make sure you bring plenty of water. We were carrying 4 - 5 liters each, and we got through with some water to spare.

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #51
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah, they'd be at the wooden fence, I'm still a little bummed I didn't know to look for the Black Dragon. Here is a nearby one:

I learned that the BLM doesn't sign them, but they do fence them off to keep vehicles back a bit.

You had to cross under the freeway near the 'Impassable' sign to find these, there was a small arch over there too.

I forget the exact turns now, but my next picture after these 'glyphs was the cabin before the twin bridges.

Nice larryboy ... So much stuff to explore our there!

Jordan
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #52
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Sooooo awesome....and atta girl, what a sport. Ride safe and seeking for more.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #53
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Riding the Paiute Trail

TAT Day 5

After a really long day yesterday riding through the canyon washes, we decided to sleep in a bit, have a long breakfast, and do some laundry before we get back on the trail.

Gave the bikes a once over. Oil levels all looked perfect. Quick cleaning and lube of the chains, then we head off.

Out of Salina...

We turn to follow the canal over to Richfield, UT.

Missed a set of faint tracks here... Took a bit to figure out what I did. You don't really just want to bushwhack through here due to the canal and other ditches.

Ended up routing us across the canal on the edge here...

which I guess ultimately got us where we needed to be.

Which was here:

Nikki hit this water crossing pretty fast, soaked her pretty good - she wasn't expecting the water to be so cold.

We made a quick stop while passing through Richfield for gas, Gatorade, and a few ibuprofen.

Then headed out of town to pick up the Paiute Trail.

Pretty nice riding for the most part through here, with the exception of some areas that were pretty heavily rutted up. Nikki hates ruts. They taunt here.
They are her nemesis.

Starting to get real dusty now too, but most of the time we would be able to stagger our riding so the wind would clear the dust out before Nikki had to eat too much of it.

We only had to deal with a handful of ATV parades today. The majority of the way through here it was only us.

Then we came upon what had to be the highlight of the day for Nikki:

Very curious little dude.

Getting near the end of the Paiute Trail...

And there was one particularly steep descent that we came to. It was pretty heavily rutted up. Nikki ended up in the rut unable to slow her momentum, she lost control, and I watched her and the bike fall over and skid down on their left side in a plume of dust. I also got the hear the whole event unfold on our Scala intercoms . Those ruts had been messing with her all day, and this one got her. I ran back up to where she was, and she was fine - with only the addition of a few sage brush signatures on her lower back (I think now she was glad that I made her dress like a turtle
). We got the bike up and back to some flat ground and took a break. That crash took a lot out of her. Confidence mainly, as she wasn't physically injured. The rest of the way out, I could tell that she was sorta in a funk . I rode the last water crossing for her...

Still smiling though .

And then we picked up some forest roads that brought us in to Kanosh, UT. I decided that I didn't want to push anymore today - let's have a short day. We had the time, we didn't have to rush, so we decided to run 10 miles up to Fillmore and got a motel room, hung around the town, and had some really awesome burgers and onion rings !

We stayed at the Capitol Motel. It was $25 bucks and run by a very nice older couple. The rooms were dated, but very clean. Just mentioning this for anybody in the future running the TAT. Not too far off the trail, and I also noticed a motorcycle/atv shop in town as well. It turned out to be a very good call for us as we were able to get rested up and start back fresh tomorrow on the TAT as we enter Nevada!

Jordan
Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #54
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:

We stayed at the Capitol Motel. It was $25 bucks and run by a very nice older couple. The rooms were dated, but very clean. Just mentioning this for anybody in the future running the TAT. Not too far off the trail, and I also noticed a motorcycle/atv shop in town as well. It turned out to be a very good call for us as we were able to get rested up and start back fresh tomorrow on the TAT as we enter Nevada!

Great update!

I really enjoy those old Mom and Pop motels. I stay in them whenever I can.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
OoPEZoO
Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 260
Great report

My wife has been eagerly awaiting updates as I have been following your trip. She bailed on the idea of getting her motorcycle license a few years ago because she thought that she would end up slowing me down too much on the street. Seeing this and the possibility of venturing slowly into dual sport land has kind of rekindled the fire for her. She is finally starting to understand there are other types of riding beyond my usual 300-600 mile days at mach 3

Keep it up.......both of you
OoPEZoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #56
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
good stuff. Enjoying the RR.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #57
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,740
My new hero, Nikki
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #58
smg94131
SF-CA R1200GS

Oddometer: 26
Wonderful RR

Great that you both are having a great time and can match your skills well...

Have a great trip and I will continue to read....

When you get to SF let me know if you need anything...lots of ADV riders here.

Perhaps that will be a ride for next year...
smg94131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #59
remcbride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Laugh awesome

Sounds like a great ride. And it makes for great reading
remcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #60
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,044
Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us... excellent report!

You have managed to motivate us to finish the CO. - OR. section as soon as possible.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote