Oddometer: 908
Subscribed! Beautiful adventure
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #77
stinkyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
man,
I hope my wife never see's this, or i'm doomed, my days of riding alone may over !
If you need any help around the sacramento area or would like a cool route to S.F. from this area, i could be of some advice,
and if you wanted to save a penny or two on lodging, you can crash out at the river house if you like.
keep on keeping on !!!!!
stinkyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #78
juniorsktm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Tat

Just found your RR! Great write up and pictures. Bringing back memories from my complete TAT in July of 2009.

I wish you both the best of times!

God Speed,

FF
Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #79
Rwells
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Looks like a great trip....
Rwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #80
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 625
Just got caught up! Great RR, thanks for sharing - very inspirational! Love the pics too!

Subscribed, hope you share the rest of that trip with us -
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #81
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
From here in Eureka, NV the TAT heads North then NW into Oregon. Since we are headed to San Francisco we need to be heading due West from this point forward. So this was our last day to follow the TAT. Tomorrow we will head out of town and continue West on our own route that we will basically make up on the fly, while trying to avoid as much pavement as possible. I was very proud that Nikki and I rode this section of the Trans-America Trail. The Colorado, Utah, Nevada portion is noted to be the most difficult section of the entire trail, and I couldn't have been more impressed with Nikki's riding in the difficult terrain. Nikki certainly got lucky on getting through some of the tougher areas, but in the end she was the one who possessed the desire to even put herself in that situation. Great Riding .

Jordan

I'm still "in", make it your own I like to say.

Just to tempt you for next year...Nevada is the very best of the TAT.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #82
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
AFX helmets: I am a big fan of those helmets. I had the FX 37, which was a little wonky because you had to order one size larger than normal. After a pretty hard crash that rang my bell, I decided to retire that helmet and get the FX-39. I am pretty happy with it and would easily buy another.

I know the other other "DS" helmets are pretty nice, but not worth the cost to me personally. The way I am constantly getting my helmet hit with roost, and rocks and trees and bushes....I'll stick with the $100 AFX helmets.
+1

Very pleased with this helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
Could you please tell me which model of Scala Intercom you are using and how do you like it and any regrets you may have. thanks
We are using the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Multiset Headsets for our helmet intercom system. We bought them last year for the Alaska trip, and they performed really well. They would last around 12 hours on one charge. On the last day or two of the trip last year, one of the units started acting up (after being exposed to a ton of rain - I think you are supposed to turn them off if you are in heavy rain ), but it had a year warranty, so Cardo replaced it, and since then, both units have been functioning normally. Never had a different brand, so I can't really compare them to others on the market, but they seem to be fairly rugged .

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #83
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 761
awesome!!! Another memorable adventure you two, now if you could just bring the little pug.

can not wait until the next trip, you guys might also enjoy the OBDR and WABDR routes
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #84
philippp
n00b

Oddometer: 8
a newbie

Thanks for introducing me to the TAT. Until a few days ago, I never heard of it. Didn't know it existed. At first, before I started catching on, I was wondering how you were able to find all those off roads. I can't get over the scenery. Amazing. Now I'm planning my own ride. Going to buy a DR400 and ride it down from NJ to pick up the trail in TN and take it all the way across.

I love dirt riding but there is so little of it where I live. First I'll learn the dos and donts from those who went before. I also read your thread on the Alaska ride. Fantastic! Good luck the rest of the way.
philippp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #85
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 389
Creating the TNT...

Trip Day 8

Our overall route turns and heads West now. On the previous day of the trip, we had finished riding the TAT. By the use of a bit of dead reckoning, we will attempt to continue West on similar primitive roads that we have been on thus far - we will see how we do.

Before heading out of Eureka, we stop by the local coffee shop for some breakfast, then head out of town on Hwy 50.

A few miles down the Hwy we pick up our new trail - we dubbed this route "The Trans-Nevada Trail" (TNT)

Which already has it's own 80's style cheesy theme song:

Passed by some more abandoned mining operations today...

These companies sure do leave a mess behind. One area looked like they were trying to compost a bunch of metal containers . I work in the construction field (Coatings Application), and I have a clause in every one of my contracts that notes "Leave area free of all contractor debris". Must not apply out here .

Following some typical Nevada two-track through here...

We stop and look around this old stacked stone structure, maybe an old homestead?

And then we spotted our first group of wild horses.

Hit a bit of deeper sand here, almost sent me into the brush.

A little bit past here, our two-track hits a larger gravel road. I am just following roads that are on my GPS mapset - piecing the route together as we go. We come to an entrance to a small home/ranch. There is a sign that says "Private Property" and has an arrow pointing to the right towards some 2-track. Nikki and I couldn't decide if the sign meant "Don't go right - It's private" or "Don't continue straight -take the two-track to the right". Well, my GPS showed the actual "road" was the one that continued straight towards the home and not the two-track to the right. So we head straight up towards the house. Right as you approach the house, the road turns and there is a gate. Nikki doesn't like this - it doesn't feel right. "Yeah, but it's on the GPS - don't worry!" I hop off the bike, carefully open the gate - the whole time waiting for some one to come out of the house (only 30 yards away) yelling and screaming at us. We pass through, close the gate up nicely as we found it, and rounded the corner, out of the view of the home. A couple minutes later we come through another gate, and confirm our suspicions:

This is where the two-track that went around to the right merges back with the actual road on my GPS. Oops . Maybe this is just a case where someone fenced in a public road, or maybe they took over ownership of the road - I don't know how that stuff works

We clear out of the area... Passing this sign:

Looks to me like they seeded a million-billion acres of sage brush .

Then we hoped on Hwy 50 for a bit to go over and look at a Petroglyph site that I had seen on the map yesterday.

Then we headed back into some ranch land.

I love these gates that have a handle for extra leverage. With all the gates you have to open and close through Nevada, you start to really appreciate the ones that make the task a little easier.

Saw another group of wild horses in this area, and try to head them off for a picture, but they disappeared.

However, I did find some remnants that must of been from others previous attempts to ride the TNT .

Then we picked up a Forest Service Road that was to take us through the Toiyabe NF and clear the range - dropping us in Austin, NV.

Started out really nice - a much needed terrain change after being in the Valley all morning.

We hit our first water crossing. Kinda high and moving pretty swiftly.

Not too bad though, but we wouldn't make the next one.

The water was moving very quickly, and I couldn't tell how deep it was. Sitting here typing about it, I feel like kinda a weenie for bailing, but at the time I was really concerned about drowning the bikes .

So instead we back tracked a few miles over to Hwy 50 and took that into Austin for a late lunch break.

After Austin, it seemed our options for off pavement routes were non-existent (or at least ones that I could find on the fly). We ended up on Hwy 722. If Hwy 50 through Nevada is "The Loneliest Hwy in America", then hwy 722 is it's extremely depressed brother-in-law .

Not a lot going on out here - not even any other traffic.

I learned this move from Dingweed:

Getting hot and windy through here.

Looking in the mirrors - the best scenery of the trip!

After you cross the valley, the road climbs into the next range.

We pull off the main road up this steep track to take a break.

Nikki ran into a tree at the bottom, so she decided she would rest right there . I don't know how she does it, but it's almost like a magnetic attraction towards things she doesn't want to hit, i.e. ruts, large rocks, trees branches & trees .

Then back onto the hwy, and eventually we merge back with Hwy 50 - which we follow all the way into Fallon, NV.

Where we stayed for the night at the "Bud, Get in!" (learned that from Littlewan)

From here, we will try to cross over the Sierra's off pavement, but again, the mega snow fall from the winter may stop us in our tracks.

Jordan

jglow screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 04:28 PM
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #86
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
More good stuff....really enjoying this one.

I would not at all feel like a weenie for turning away from an unknown depth water crossing...I would have done the same. Its one thing if you are riding in your local area and help is 10 minutes away....its a whole different thing when out in the middle of nowhere and help could be days away.

""Nikki ran into a tree at the bottom, so she decided she would rest right there . I don't know how she does it, but it's almost like a magnetic attraction towards things she doesn't want to hit, i.e. ruts, large rocks, trees branches & trees .""

Classic Target fixation. At speed in cane be a dangerous thing. You should teach her to recognize the danger( of the obstacle), and then immediately look away to figure the way around it to avoid it. Easier said than done, I know.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #87
GotDrySocks?
Llego lejos.

Oddometer: 103
Great ride!! That Nikki... what a trooper!

How were the Alpinestars Scout boots on hot days? Been thinking about a pair.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #88
Renato CWB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Subscribed! Looks like a awesome trip. And the pics are amazing.
Renato CWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #89
horseiron1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Holy Crap! That's It! We need MORE! Awesome RR. Keep it up
horseiron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #90
remcbride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Laugh good trip