User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,253
Iridium Sat Phone - Telstra SIM card

I've done some basic research and conducted some searches within this forum and was wondering if someone could tell me if I've got this right?

My intention is to purchase an Iridium Sat Phone, 9505/9555/9555a are the model choices I think, maybe even a second hand one, and use my Telstra SIM card in it, the card is on a plan, not pre paid. Others will use this phone when on trips and I will remove my SIM and they can use their own. I think that's how it works.

I also understand that there will be some changes to this system commencing in 2015, does anyone know the extent and impact of those changes to my plan?

Lastly, if I buy a decent second hand phone, are there any problems I should look out for?

Cheers

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 10:48 PM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,966
hey trev check out stayinupright in the oz vendors,reckon he might be the man to ask about such things.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,198
Trev what you want is what i do , i have an old 9500 , use my telstra sim in it and no problems , make sure you have global roaming enabled on the sim ,thats about it

the times i have used it it worked well and cost was bugger all as i didnt even notice the bill , as for 2015 . thats the first i heard of that
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
KIZ
Marty

Oddometer: 444
I had to have international roaming added to my phone plan,(no charge), and it worked on satphone which was on a Pivotel plan. Thing is cost of calls are not included in your cell plan, and I think it is $2 /min for outgoing and incomeing calls. More expensive than Pivotel calls, but if you only use it for emergency, you don't pay the $45 /month connection fee(with$20 included calls).
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Thanks guys.

Aub, I've spoken to Kevin before about Sat phones but didn't go to him this time because the deal I've got in mind is one that he probably can't get involved with and I didn't want to use him up.

Sean-o, there is a new Iridium technology called NEXT about to be unveiled, I wasn't sure whether there would be any impact on my plan. Glad yours works and that gives me some confidence.

You too Marty, thanks.

Cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,802
You got the sim card stuff right.

I have a 9555. IMHO don't buy a 9555 unless you've seen it work or it comes with a warranty.

My 9555 was brand new and the antenna failed. Fixed under warranty no problems. The techy explained the 9505 antenna is more sturdy because of the pivoting hard connection between the antenna and guts of the phone. I think he said the 9555's sliding antenna system means there is some kind of internal 'strap' which connects the base of the antenna to the guts of the phone. The strap can (but rarely) fail. Does that make sense?
11 K1600GTL

farcall screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 04:58 PM Reason: Had the wrong model numbers in there
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,240
I have a 9555. I have used my normal Telstra SIM on a plan in it. The cost is closer to $4/min. The actual costs are on the Telstra website - someone on here dug them out. As I use for work, I stopped using the Telstra SIM as it's just way too expensive.
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

I was wondering about the A ones. The 9505 models seem pretty cheap secondhand but there are also some 9555's getting around too. The use costs with this SIM idea are very expensive, but I've also paid $75 for a carton of beer in a remote area after running out - sometimes, in an emergency, you just gotta pay. Thanks.

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40 View Post
I have a 9555. I have used my normal Telstra SIM on a plan in it. The cost is closer to $4/min. The actual costs are on the Telstra website - someone on here dug them out. As I use for work, I stopped using the Telstra SIM as it's just way too expensive.
Pete, the 9555 can receive/send SMS and emails...according to the product details. Any problems doing that and how does that work out cost wise?

Chers

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #10
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
I was wondering about the A ones. The 9505 models seem pretty cheap secondhand but there are also some 9555's getting around too. The use costs with this SIM idea are very expensive, but I've also paid $75 for a carton of beer in a remote area after running out - sometimes, in an emergency, you just gotta pay. Thanks.
$150 a ctn at Yulara (you pay over the bar price per stubbie)... unless you're in the know
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #11
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
$150 a ctn at Yulara (you pay over the bar price per stubbie)... unless you're in the know
I guess my example was a few years ago, but you reinforce my point nicely, thanks....

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #12
StayUpright
Witty Quip goes here

Oddometer: 139
Hi Guys - I have to be very careful here and not refer to being a vendor, but here goes.

The roaming on the Iridium network certainly does work with a Telstra SIM - for now. It's up to Telstra as to which networks they allow roaming, the fees they charge (inbound and outbound) and when they might change accessibility to that network.

Be careful of the incoming call costs it can get quite expensive, for both parties.

As far as buying a second hand phone again be careful. A simple repair or inspection can be very pricey. A 9555 battery is $185, so if you buy a cheap phone that has a stuffed battery it can get expensive quickly!

Watch out for buying a 9505 - last time I looked there are no batteries in Australia. A 9505A battery (different beast) is $215. Again, quite an outlay on a "cheap" phone with no warranty.

I'm not saying don't buy a second hand phone - there ARE some bargains out there. But at least try to strike an agreement that warrants condition on arrival and battery capacity.

The most expensive network in Australia is Iridium - if you don't need to use your phone at the poles there are much better alternatives, cost wise, call wise and feature wise. I've written a blurb on that but can't mention where, as every time I do that the post gets nuked so I've given up trying.

$15 plans, with no connection fees, no lock-in contract and handsets from $330 (to inmates) are pretty good options compared to second hand. For the desert riding season you can be connected for 3 months for $45 and have a standard Australian mobile number which is cheap for people to call with no "roaming" cost to you. Hey, that's less than a dozen stubbies in some places.

I'm not trying to spruik my business, but just shed light on options, same as any other inmate posting here would do.

If this is seen out of order by the mods I'm happy to answer any questions about ALL networks, ALL plans and ALL phones if you want to PM me. And if the mods permit we might get away with a discussion, in general terms, where everybody learns and contributes right here!

Cheers,

Kevin
StayUpright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #13
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Thanks Kev, that gives me some more to think about. Really do appreciate your input and I didn't go straight to you for this advice as I thought it might be a little rude to do so. I might PM you after I've done some more spadework.
Cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #14
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Pete, the 9555 can receive/send SMS and emails...according to the product details. Any problems doing that and how does that work out cost wise?

Chers
SMS in and out no problems. Out - I have free SMS with my minutes.

Data - as in email, never tried, but I know it is slow as... so not worth it.

StayUpright - send me a PM please. I have liaised with several providers here in Oz and I never found these cheap alternatives when all the extras,fine print and flag falls come into it. Last I looked hard into this was about 10 months ago so maybe things have changed. Unfortunately I have already outlayed for an Iridium three years ago.
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #15
StayUpright
Witty Quip goes here

Oddometer: 139
PM sent. That's one of the downfalls with Iridium - 2.4 Kbps. That's it! Others will tel you it is faster. It isn't. The technology doesn't permit it. That's also why the audio is a bit lame, it uses the same bandwidth.

2.4Kbps when you are paying by the minute is pretty darned dear!
StayUpright is offline   Reply With Quote