User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Chasing Sunsets

I found this one in the camera last night- gives an indication of overall height of the fairing.... no higher than what I had on the Safari, just a bit further forward & with no weight on the handlebars.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292

Gadget678 screwed with this post 07-23-2011 at 10:47 PM
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
Katui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
At this point, my plan is to ride COAST TO COAST about this time next year.
Ahhh!!, For whatever reason I assumed this was a post trip report.
Katui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,887
Thumb

Quote:
By that map it is!!!
But it's interesting that the southernmost point is listed as Wilsons Prom, not in Tassie.
Good thread so far, interesting to see what ideas people come up with for a build and why they made those choices.
Wilsons prom is the southernost point of the mainland, but what is the southernmost navigable point in Tassie?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katui View Post
Ahhh!!, For whatever reason I assumed this was a post trip report.
Post Safari, Pre Across Australia.

While there was a lot of work done on the bike prior to the 2009 Safari, I'm finding that the needs for an unsupported trip across the centre of Oz are in a completely different ballpark.

A few of the 'issues' I'm looking into (which is part of the reason for starting this thread- to get some input) are:
  • Finding others keen/stupid enough to do the ride with me. (My mechanic from the Safari was on-board at the first mention, but I'd like one or two more.)
  • Distances between drinks for both my bike and I. Initial looks like there could be a few sections of approx 440km between refuels. So I'd like at least 500km range if that is the case.
  • How much fuel will the bike burn in the sand when loaded (fortunately this one is a fun challenge that I can only do once I:
  • Figure out how much I need to carry with me.
  • Water is the main weight additive here. I've read a few recommendations:
    • 6-8 lt per person, per day, allowing for at least one day extra.
    • 1lt water for every lt of petrol.
  • How to carry it all without killing myself or the bike.
  • Suspension is a no-brainer for me.... load it up and take it to my tuner! Smarty has worked magic on my bike for years now... he can deal with it.
Communications (Just so no-one arcs up):
  • We are planning on running bluetooth between bikes.
  • Each rider having a UHF radio
  • Between us carry
    • An EPIRB
    • A Sat-phone
    • A SPOT tracker
I'm sure there's lot's I've overlooked at the moment... but I'm going back out to the shed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Wilsons prom is the southernost point of the mainland, but what is the southernmost navigable point in Tassie?
Cockle Creek...apparently

Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #20
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,834
Gadget, biggest question for me if I was in your position is if the DRZ is the most suitable bike for the trip.

DR be a better base to start with?

Keen to see your build and progress on all of your setup and trip.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #21
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Gadget, biggest question for me if I was in your position is if the DRZ is the most suitable bike for the trip.

you get back over to the kicker thread with your shenanigans

suzuki riders are normal people ... unlike our crazy kicking comrades
Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #22
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It's in the shed, so of course it's the most suitable.
I did look at the DR650, but one of my local mechanics made a few points... He believed that my bike would have "similar power" to the DR, and they're both 5 speed boxes.

To get the DRZ to do the job will take a few mods here and there (I already have the long range tanks/racks etc). If I spent the extra on 'upgrading' to a 650, I'll have to start all over again.

The flexibility is a large part of the reason that I want to keep the DRZ. The 650 is a good tourer, but competing in enduro events like the 24 Hour etc would be a killer. My bike can adapt easily, and well, to either role....... I just want a better seat

Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #23
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Motor

As I've now mentioned the motor, I'll give the condensed version of what's been done.
  • Full Staintune header/exhaust.
  • Twin air air filter- While this seems to work well, I'd probably get the Unifilter system if I was to buy more, just for the removable second skin.
  • Always Motul 5100 oil and regular changes.
  • Kick start kit fitted following a cold ride in the High country where I blew my fuse... mongrel to get to. Luckily I had spares, but I never want to be stuck in a valley and not be able to start it!
Proir to the Safari I wanted to freshen the rings up. At 7500km on the clock I knew it really didn't need it, but I wanted to do it anyway.... Another trip to Mildura followed as this 'freshen-up' coincided with a service/re-dialling of my suspension.

I asked my suspension tuner his thoughts.... 'Check your costs' was his suggestion. I knew where he was headed on this one. A piston & ring kit costs very little more than a plain ring kit. There is no difference in price between a hi-comp and standard set.

So the end result: The originals were fine- as expected.
  • 13.5:1 Wiseco went in.
  • Mild port & polish
  • Airbox snorkel removed
  • Bike tuned to suit mods (on 98 octane fuel)
Even Smarty-the mechanic- was surprised at the tuning as he didn't have to change the needles or jets from original. I haven't done a dyno on the bike, but it feels sweet.

I've run the bike in hot & cold conditions, up to 1600m altitude-in snow-and it runs fine. My TTR250 used to be a bugger with altitude changes.

The carby hasn't been touched since.

I'm toying with getting an AMR Monster coil prior to the trip. (On Safari I had some 'arcing' on the lead due to the red dust. It still works fine, but I won't be trusting it it on a 10000km trip) Does anyone have experience with these?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #24
Katui
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Post Safari, Pre Across Australia.

While there was a lot of work done on the bike prior to the 2009 Safari, I'm finding that the needs for an unsupported trip across the centre of Oz are in a completely different ballpark.

A few of the 'issues' I'm looking into (which is part of the reason for starting this thread- to get some input) are:
  • Finding others keen/stupid enough to do the ride with me. (My mechanic from the Safari was on-board at the first mention, but I'd like one or two more.)
  • Distances between drinks for both my bike and I. Initial looks like there could be a few sections of approx 440km between refuels. So I'd like at least 500km range if that is the case.
  • How much fuel will the bike burn in the sand when loaded (fortunately this one is a fun challenge that I can only do once I:
  • Figure out how much I need to carry with me.
  • Water is the main weight additive here. I've read a few recommendations:
    • 6-8 lt per person, per day, allowing for at least one day extra.
    • 1lt water for every lt of petrol.
  • How to carry it all without killing myself or the bike.
  • Suspension is a no-brainer for me.... load it up and take it to my tuner! Smarty has worked magic on my bike for years now... he can deal with it.
Communications (Just so no-one arcs up):
  • We are planning on running bluetooth between bikes.
  • Each rider having a UHF radio
  • Between us carry
    • An EPIRB
    • A Sat-phone
    • A SPOT tracker
That's pretty epic prep. I'm debating doing a ride down to South America and back come next summer, but am no where near as far into planning as you are. I'll have to keep this list in mind :) Is that 1 L of water per L of gas on top of the 6-7 liters a day?!? Or "just" the 6-7? Either way that's a shit ton of fluid on a bike. That safari tank should take care of the fuel problem(assuming that's the ~7 Gallon one) but water is going to be a bitch. Most definitely but a large capacity camel back(I really like my Gerber Brand one, hold ~3.5 liters), If you don't already have front saddle bags on your bike you might be able to get some soft panniers set up on the sides of your tanks and fill them with bladders to hold water. I would worry about the bikes weight popping the bladders in a tip over though. You might be able to think of a way around that problem.

Quote:
My bike can adapt easily, and well, to either role....... I just want a better seat
If you can afford it I love my Renezco gel seat. Very comfy, and considerably better then my friends Corbin on his DRZ.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #25
Katui
Gnarly Adventurer

Will your bike now require 98 octane fuel? Or was that only for testing purposes, if it requires it couldn't that be a problem for availability of gas in the more remote regions?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #26
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,834
The water carriage was my worry with the DRZ, just thought the DR may have carried the weight better.

Good reasons for going with the DRZ though, nice prep so far.

General figures for the engine and suspension mods?

Thanks Katui.

xronly

Cruz screwed with this post 07-24-2011 at 01:27 AM
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #27
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's pretty epic prep. I'm debating doing a ride down to South America and back come next summer, but am no where near as far into planning as you are. I'll have to keep this list in mind :) Is that 1 L of water per L of gas on top of the 6-7 liters a day?!? One or the other. Or "just" the 6-7? Either way that's a shit ton of fluid on a bike. Yep. That safari tank should take care of the fuel problem(assuming that's the ~7 Gallon one) but water is going to be a bitch. Yep-again. Most definitely but a large capacity camel back(I really like my Gerber Brand one, hold ~3.5 liters), If you don't already have front saddle bags on your bike you might be able to get some soft panniers set up on the sides of your tanks and fill them with bladders to hold water. I would worry about the bikes weight popping the bladders in a tip over though. You might be able to think of a way around that problem.

I've been working on an idea this week. Compressable/durable water bladders that will hold between 10-15lt each.... placed inside cotton rucksacs- tied together and used as saddlebags when I need the extra water + a few camelback bladders. My theory is that I should have enough room to move the Oxford panniers (that will carry the rest of my gear) back slightly, then sling the water over the race plates- perhaps with the straps under the seat- to keep the weight central and low. When the huge volumes aren't needed to be carried, the whole lot packs down to nothing. If it works, it should cost about AU$22 per side. I'll post my findings.

If you can afford it I love my Renezco gel seat. Very comfy, and considerably better then my friends Corbin on his DRZ.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 AM   #28
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Will your bike now require 98 octane fuel? Or was that only for testing purposes, if it requires it couldn't that be a problem for availability of gas in the more remote regions?
While I prefer 98 octane, and use it whenever I can, it will run on anything.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #29
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
General figures for the engine and suspension mods?
Costs or other figures?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #30
Katui
Gnarly Adventurer

Good to know fuel wont be a problem. With any luck you'll get those water bags up and running in no time! One less problem to deal with.