Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #406
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
It is looking good.

Let me guess... Fuel and water? Rotopax or similar or do you plan to take the time to hammer something out of sheet metal which would give you a better fit?

It does look as though it is bit wider than it needs to be...

I finally got the 462 together with the Nova trans over the weekend and after a few dyno sessions it is now running 9/10ths of properly. It has been a while since I last rode the bike and I needed to jump on the girl's E to get a better feel for the changes. There is some grunt there and trans is definitely different...
There was an attempt to do a bit more with the rear tanks slash luggage system today, but you wouldn't read about it... every acetylene bottle on the place is empty. I had to content myself with doing some work (that didn't need doing - playing with an idea) with a reject projector that was bought for mould making.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of camping chair, tarps, toolbox/spares; I was even toying with the idea of a different tent set up.... but yes, fuel as well.

You're right, it is wider than it needs to be. I think I'll be able to cut about 8-10 cm off the total width just by changing the rack design- I still want to keep them symmetrical though (just me).

So is the 462 is a Stroked 434? It should still be reliable at that. Were you doing dyno primarily for tuning at this stage, or chasing HP results as well?

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #407
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,266
check oout this guys racks

From USA a system that allows either rear rack or rack+ pannier supports. It might give you some guidance.

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2844.0
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #408
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
From USA a system that allows either rear rack or rack+ pannier supports. It might give you some guidance.

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2844.0
Kinda, but different. I definately don't want a rack to mount to the seat mounts.

Like these will be a starting point:

Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #409
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The hard part....

All I have to do is smooth it out...... Then prime, re-sand, re-prime, sand again, paint... probably a few times, wax it a lot, then make a casting. EASY.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #410
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you get yourself a tube bender? Which one?
Nah.... That's part of the reason I went for box on the first design. I stole that photo from somewhere, but it's been in my archives for a while so I can't remember where from.

Will (Wild0) is trying to find out if he can use the pipe bender at his work. Failing that, I'll get a local fabricator to make something up.

The pressing question is what size tubing do I need? Will's thought is 7/8 (22mm) with 1.6mm walls, while I've heard of others being made with 19mm (no idea how heavy in the walls).

Oh, no need for the kitchen sink. I'm planning on not even taking a cooker. I can survive without a cooked meal for a few days- as long as I can make a hot drink if I want it, and for that I have a quickboil element (but I must test it before making a decision)

Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #411
mud lovin fool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Geez mark you've been busy...its looking good: have you got a timeline for when you'll be going? also wouldn't a trangia be a good idea? Gives you lots of flexibility and they pack up pretty small...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
mud lovin fool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #412
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud lovin fool View Post
Geez mark you've been busy...its looking good: have you got a timeline for when you'll be going? also wouldn't a trangia be a good idea? Gives you lots of flexibility and they pack up pretty small...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Holidays booked from July 15..............

I had to look up what a Trangia was: probably not, but I'll see how my space goes.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #413
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,890
Wolfman Racks

Interesting build, thanks for posting.

FWIW, I made my racks with 8 mm bar, 2 x 6 mm bar risers and 3 mm bar for the corners for the pannier clips. Got them and my other fabricated stuff zinc plated. The few offs to date have either done nothing or slightly bent them, which with soft bags, just helps absorb the impact. Easy enough to just bend back. They are stable and don't move at all, and don't weigh much either. Big bore tube seems overkill. And you don't need a tube bender to bend the bar. I just cut a template out of a piece of chip board I had lying about and bent it around that., easy.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #414
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Interesting build, thanks for posting.

FWIW, I made my racks with 8 mm bar, 2 x 6 mm bar risers and 3 mm bar for the corners for the pannier clips. Got them and my other fabricated stuff zinc plated. The few offs to date have either done nothing or slightly bent them, which with soft bags, just helps absorb the impact. Easy enough to just bend back. They are stable and don't move at all, and don't weigh much either. Big bore tube seems overkill. And you don't need a tube bender to bend the bar. I just cut a template out of a piece of chip board I had lying about and bent it around that., easy.
Simple creativity...I love it. If I was making racks for the soft panniers, I'd be giving your idea a go; but I don't think they'd be strong enough to hold up to the flogging the Caribou cases are going to put on them.

Out of curiosity I asked the maintenance guys at work if they had a pipe bender.... One thing led to another, with the end result being: I'll be taking the rack to work with me on Monday for them to have a look at.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #415
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Can I start this weekend again?

I've had one of those weekends......

After spending a fair bit of time Friday night and Saturday working on the mold, I wasn't happy with the progress, or the outcome - So I pulled two weeks of work apart again.

I started today with a fresh perspective and a slight design change. Now I just have to wait for the fibreglass to set before I can start sanding again.

Shit happens.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #416
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back on track

Right.... Back into it.

It was getting hard to identify where I was up to.

1st Prime:- a few imperfections to sort out.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #417
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Playing with maps

I was having a rough look at where I was wanting to head on the trip (plus trying to figure out the software for Garmin Basecamp). Anyway, here you go. I thought that I'd put a quick pass through the ACT as it's the only state/territory in Australia that I haven't ridden in yet.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #418
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ready to start waxing

Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #419
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Byron to Steep Point?

Funny, I'd skip the ACT unless it is on the way. On the return trip, I'd suggest taking a little extra time to head down to Esperance then east through the coastal parks... it is worth the detour.

BTW... I originally got the idea that the light change was so that a few fairings could be sold with a more economical and perhaps legal (not the X2) lighting solution. Now I am getting the idea that you're doing it for yourself and if so, then why? While I have little doubt that the original light configuration might have been improved, I'd have expected it to be far better than the X2 lights. Was there a problem with the original set up?
Steep to Byron... not straight.

I won't be particularly fussed if I don't sell any fairings.. If I do, it'll be a bonus, but I won't go out of my way to do it. After making the first few, I wanted to be able to replicate them easily if (when) I stuffed them up, or had a change in lighting style.

One of the issues I had with the lights was inconsistencies with the 2" SCMR 16 HID's.... after going through a few ballasts & globes (despite changing wiring, swithes, relays etc on more than one occasion), I just didn't trust them....and parts availability just wasn't there. The irony is that the original X2, and the Lightforce HID will happily survive on the original shitty wiring. You can get a street legal X2, but I won't. The increase in rake of the new design means that I simply don't have enough room to set the lights up as I had them- plus, having been driving through WA in 2009, I'm not overly keen on doing much night riding on my trip.

By setting the fairing up the way I am, it should be reasonably easy to adapt it to fit any light......for when I change my mind again. (I was seriously considering a Betts Bikes light set up- it may still be on the cards down the track.) I have a few different lights in the shed that I want to try out once the fairing's done.

Gadget678 screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 10:21 PM
Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #420
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Fair enough... I can definitely understand the desire to avoid night riding in some parts and the technical difficulties... I've dropped the 8" light on mine for similar reasons, plus the fact that it is an expensive light that was getting banged around for no good reason a lot of the time.
I actually don't mind night riding.... it's the bloody wildlife that becomes a concern. Time will tell.

How's that new gearbox running?