Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #541
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
The mentioned marks are universal.

About 2/3 of my DR-Zs 45k has been on the MT-21... What did you have in mind?
Not quite sure yet. I've had the E-09 Dakar on & off the bike for a while now. I have no issues with it, but am just looking at alternatives for when I finally get away. The MT21 is a tyre that first caught my eye back in the early-mid '90s, but I never got around to trying one... they are also now stocked by my dealer, and are a lot cheaper than the E-09, so I'm toying with going down that path.

I'd like to find out a bit more about the Pirelli Rally tyres as well.

Fronts?????
As mentioned previously, I like to keep a fairly aggressive tyre on the front (Like the Mitas C-21 & Scorpion XC) but I'll have to look more into how much road work I'll be doing. It might pay for me to use the E-09 front that I have in the shed.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #542
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
[ It might pay for me to use the E-09 front that I have in the shed.[/QUOTE]

Noooooooooo! Don't do it! My broken leg aches every time I look at the one that dumped me face first into the sand.

Michelin Starcross HP4 or MH3 fronts are much better
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #543
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm looking at heading back up to Mildura on the Queens Birthday weekend if I can get a place for my son to ride (usually isn't a drama for me to get access to home of the Farmers 6 hour.).

My plan is to try the E-09 set on the loop & see how it feels. There's a lot of sand, a bit of hard pack, and clay.... if they feel OK on that I'll be fine. I think I had the pressures too high last time I used them, so I'll play with that as well. I'll also be taking the new Pirelli Scorpion up with me, so if I feel the urge I'll change it over.

As I alluded to after my ride in the high country; The E-09 rear wasn't unpredictable or sketchy.... it just made the bike feel a lot different to having a 'normal' knobby on. So as long as the bike remains predictable, I'll be happy to trade off a little handling for longevity.

On a side note, and about bloody time, I pick up the new racks on friday. (I know they encourage us to use local tradies, but with both my fairing and pannier mods, the waits have been rediculous)

Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #544
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Noooooooooo! Don't do it! My broken leg aches every time I look at the one that dumped me face first into the sand.

Michelin Starcross HP4 or MH3 fronts are much better
Are either of those street legal?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #545
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

DOT is a USA thing

I am not sure if we really need to run DOT approved tyres in OZ. Perhaps on the odd chance a cop checks them, but I would rather have a long lasting front tyre that grips ( HP4) than a E09 that sucks in sand any day.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #546
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Consider a Mitchy Enduro Comp 4. DOT approved and the best front tyre I've used on a DRZ IMHO.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #547
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Kipo's fave rear tyre is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
Consider a Mitchy Enduro Comp 4. DOT approved and the best front tyre I've used on a DRZ IMHO.
What rear do you prefer Kipo?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #548
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What rear do you prefer Kipo?

Mitchy AC10

P.S. The WR went well at the first event a couple of weeks ago. You must have had the after market 'Anti Crash Modulator' fitted because I didn't even crash once (unusual for me).

It went ok except it was bogging down a bit down low and had a slight miss. A few blokes reckon it could be a pitted needle in the carb (common on them apparently) so I had it checked and the needle does need replacing. Problem is we can't get one and it's on back order so if it doesn't turn up in time we'll have to put the old one in for the next round which is on 25th May. It's only a slight issue so it won't matter.

Cheers

kipo screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 05:52 PM
Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #549
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

extras

The blue bike rarely dumped me on my face. There are a couple of spare JD needles in the jet box. a red and blue needle (red for higher altitude if I remember correctly)

Quote:
Mitchy AC10

P.S. The WR went well at the first event a couple of weeks ago. You must have had the after market 'Anti Crash Modulator' fitted because I didn't even crash once (unusual for me).

It went ok except it was bogging down a bit down low and had a slight miss. A few blokes reckon it could be a pitted needle in the carb (common on them apparently) so I had it checked and the needle does need replacing. Problem is we can't get one and it's on back order so if it doesn't turn up in time we'll have to put the old one in for the next round which is on 25th May. It's only a slight issue so it won't matter.

Cheers
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #550
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The blue bike rarely dumped me on my face. There are a couple of spare JD needles in the jet box. a red and blue needle (red for higher altitude if I remember correctly)

Cheers, I didn't think to look in the box.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #551
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am not sure if we really need to run DOT approved tyres in OZ. Perhaps on the odd chance a cop checks them, but I would rather have a long lasting front tyre that grips ( HP4) than a E09 that sucks in sand any day.
Quote:
I've been out in the shed playing with the fairing again (another sand and final prime); while out there I had another look at the E-09 front: It's going nowhere........ so back to my original plan: an aggressive front. It's just a case of deciding which one.

Kipo: What sort of life do you get out of the Enduro comp 4?

I should have my bike back tomorrow, so will throw the Scorpion MX Extra X on, then see how it handles and wears. (I was getting a good run out of the Scorpion MX mid-soft 32 until I killed it on the rocks). Out of the DOT rated Pirelli fronts, the MX Extra X is designed to cover the widest range of terrain, so hopefully it should wear OK. When the dealer gets one in, I'll throw an MT21 on the rear to try it out too. 5000km out of a pair?? Or post some to somewhere on my route?

I'm aware that DOT is an American thing- but it seems to be broadly accepted over here (have a look at a standard DRZ headlight- DOT). My using DOT/Street legal tyres stemmed from needing street legal tyres for the 24 Hour Reliability Trial, and the Australian Safari, PLUS being a TAC & insurance thing......... not giving them an excuse to reject a claim if I happen to make one.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #552
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,845
Compared to the E09, MT21 and 606 that I've tried so far on the front of my DR650, the Pirelli Scorpion Rally is by far my favourite. Works everywhere and lasts up to 10,000 kms. Also DOT for that level of comfort, even though, AFAIK, no Aus regulation actually refers to the US spec. Its a delamination test at 80 mph. I have confused officialdom when asked about tyres with NHS markings by explaining that I was not on a highway at the time, and unlikely to be. I now just carefully grind/sand off any confusing markings on new tyres, so no longer at issue anyway.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #553
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
Kipo: What sort of life do you get out of the Enduro comp 4?
I'm not sure mate. I run them for the road trial events but when they get down a bit I replace them and use the older ones for trail riding. Then I forget to record or note how many kms the tyre has done. I'm always swapping tyres around so I never keep track of kms.

Cheers

Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #554
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

ac modulator return request

Kipo can I have wmy ac modulator returned. Please send it to portland district health south ward.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #555
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a tip...

When playing around with HID starters and globes to see what works; don't connect to the battery when you have the globe wires in the other hand.